Watch the Horizontal Chromatic Scales online guitar lesson by Frank Vignola from Modern Method for Guitar
In this segment we play the horizontal chromatic scale. In the play-along that follows we will use the following approach.
1. Starting on the open top string, play each note up to the octave and back. Remember there is a natural 1/2 step between the E and F and B and C.
2. Play all down strokes with your picking hand. Pick through the string and allow the pick to rest on the string below.
3. Do not lift your fingers after you place them down on the fret board. Once you play to the 4th fret, shift your hand up the fret board and play the next note at the 5th fret with your 1st finger.
4. When descending, shift all 4 fingers into place one finger per fret.
5. Strive to make each note clean and even with a good tone.
6. Continue the same steps on each string.
7. Occasionally, think of the names of the note you are playing.