Watch the Rub a Dub Concept online guitar lesson by Danny Gottlieb from Master Class Drum Lessons
This idea was explained to me by big band master Mel Lewis. The Rub a Dub concept is a way of thinking eighth notes all the time, when playing swing. You play the eighth notes as fills in between the big band figures, and that way all of the figures line up perfectly. If the drummer illustrates the eighth notes, there is no way a band can enter with any other time feel, and it brings a band together as one unit.
1. Eighth note pulse, fills, and figures
2. Fills can be simple, but must work musically
1. Take any jazz big band figure and practice fills.
2. Make sure all figures swing
3. Use dynamics, and rises and falls to create impact
4. Make sure feel is authentic swing
1. These exercises show a one beat fill, a two beat fill etc. for a figure on the and of four
2. You can do this with any figure
3. Make sure the eighth swing feel is authentic