Watch the Changing Chords online guitar lesson by Rich Maloof from Acoustic Guitar For Beginners
Tips for changing chords smoothly and in good time:
- Practice chords that change with minimal movement, such as lifting or adding a finger.
- Practice chords that have similar shapes.
- Look for pivot points. That is, look for notes that are shared between two chords. Those fingers can often stay planted while others move around.
- Don't press down too hard - use just enough pressure to make the notes ring without sounding muted.
- Make sure your fingers are landing in the fret spaces, not over the fret wires.
- Don't let the pad of your finger block other strings. When necessary, change your fingers' angle of approach to the face of the fretboard. If you're having a lot of "buzz" trouble, adjust the angle to be more straight on (perpendicular to the fretboard).