Top Videos of the Week
"No doubt about it - we guitarists LOVE to solo! And what do we love to solo over? The blues, baby! When you're in the zone, there's nothing better than diggin' into a root-position minor pentatonic scale and blowin' lick after lick over a 12-bar I-IV-V at the local jam. But those I-IV-Vs and stock licks tend to grow stale real fast."
Guitar Lab: Blues Progressions, which is still ranked as one of the top TrueFire courses, gives players a fresh range of progressions to call out at the jam or gig. However, the first question a student asks after completing that course is; "Now, how do I solo over these forms?"
"My previous Guitar Lab expanded your repertoire of progressions, voicings and rhythmic moves and so now we'll build up your soloing chops in a hurry as well. So, grab your axe and get a fresh 9-volt in that Tube Screamer—we have work to do!"
In Guitar Lab: Blues Soloing, our very own Professor of the Deep shows you how to solo over all 69 choruses of the 23 blues progressions covered in his previous Guitar Lab analyzing every chord and target tone along the way. Chris explains and demonstrates melodic voice leading, motific development, stationary and movable permutations, repetition, call & response, space and the all important principle of targeting tones.
"The 69 solos that you'll work through were constructed to illustrate the key concepts in the course rather than fancy technique. You'll find them all not only very accessible but also melodic enough to serve as head melodies over the progressions. Consequently, the harmonic and phrasing concepts at work are very easy to identify and pick up on."
23 Progressions: 3 Solo Choruses Each
1. - Sussy Strut: Key: Bb - 12 Bar
2. - Larry's Trick: Key: G - 12 Bar
3. - Lookin' Sharp!: Key: C - 12 Bar
4. - Freddie Free: Key: Bb - 12 Bar
5. - The Wes Coast: Key: Bb - 12 Bar
6. - Sweet 16: Key: F# - 16 Bar
7. - Basic Eight: Key: C - 8 Bar
8. - Modified Eight: Key: F - 8 Bar
9. - Ford-ward: Key: B - 6 Bar
10. - Basie Loaded: Key: F - 12 Bar
11. - Try Tone: Key: F - 12 Bar
12. - For the Bird: Key: F - 12 Bar
13. - Jonesing For Trouble: Key: G - 8 Bar
14. - Worry Wart: Key: C# - 8 Bar
15. - Hurricane Allman: Key: G - 12 Bar
16. - Back Pedaling: Key: A - 12 Bar
17. - Minor Au Naturale: Key: Am - 12 Bar
18. - Minor of the Harmonic Kind: Key: Cm - 12 Bar
19. - Blues For Dori | Key: Dm - 12 Bar
20. - Gone Are the Thrills | Key: Bm - 12 Bar
21. - Massive | Key: Gm - 12 Bar
22. - Hamburger Meat | Key: F#m - 14 Bar
23. - Six Pack | Key: Em - 6 Bar
All of the solos are transcribed in the accompanying Power Tab and PDF charts and all of the rhythm tracks that Buono demonstrates over are likewise included with the course. As always, Buono also includes the POD tone files he used in the studio.
"If you haven't already installed the aforementioned 9-volt, get to it because you're gonna need some extra juice for this one!" We'd recommend you pick up a half dozen of those bad boys because you won't want to put down your instrument for quite some time.