Default Newbie here... What is a "Data-DVD"?

Hello.

I'm Jim. 56 yrs young, lived and breathed guitar (mostly acoustic/steel finger picking) from age 14-22. Then, went to work, raised a family... moved along in life, so many things.

I hardly picked up a guitar for 30+ years.

Had a most wonderful life.

Kids are all grown up, and my wonderful father (really)... who wife/I had living w/us in recent years (he had Parkinsons, but sharp as a pistol) recently passed on.

So many things behind me, and I'm all grown up now. I've aquired some reliable discipline, knowingness, and love of life along the way.

My one (really) regret in life: that I didn't follow through w/guitar playing back then. So, I've been picking it up in recent months, a lot... and find I hear better (more clearly), much better focus in every way, soooo much.

So then, now... I've begun looking at building a more fundamental foundation for playing/music, going forward. I've taken a couple lessons from a local (I live in Albuquerque, very big classical/Flamenco presence & tradition here) Flamenco player/teacher... found out that what I thought was my excellent technique, well... not so much.

Working on that quite a bit. My fingering had index/middle finger "spread" is increasing daily. I measure it in millimeters.

I know scales, but not complete. I know some progressions... but my knowledge only takes me to teaser levels there.

I've been looking online for weeks, all kinds of places. Read "Course Recomendations" post from these forums... some suggestions in there I'll take a look at. "Caged Cracked" and "Fingerboard Breakthrough"... I'll take a good look there.

FWIW, I never learned to read music. Had a MOONSTONE acoustic custom built in '78, became a decent finger picker. Could rip off a lot of Bert Jansch, "Little Martha", some Kotke and then off to some (back then) very enjoyable and satisfying compositions built on that stuff. Played w/some guys (all acoustic) that recreated Grateful Dead's acoustic Radio City Music Hall concert (that stuff still sounds like gold to me). I played Jerry's part.

I'm physically fit as a fiddle, clear eyed, know how to get things done.

So anyway, that's just a little bit of who I am.

I had a custom software biz w/my dad for 15 years, developed a lot of "detail minded" ways of doing things there (if any programmers out there, you'd understand).

I'm intent on re-creating my guitar skills, from ground up, w/this "who I am" grounding.

My guitar heroes are... Jorma Kaukonen (acoustic), Michael Hedges, Jerry Garcia (when he was inspired, God bless him), Mark Knopfler... to name a few.

I just want to play some... no aspirations to perform (although I may locally), just to get where I can play... satisfyingly.

I am intrigued by Howard Morgan's "Fingerboard Breakthrough". It says on the bottom of TF page, it comes in DATA-DVD format... but does not play on DVD Player. Hmmm... what is this format. Do I need TF's "interactive video player" for this format? Could somebody explain?

I've also been through, and am considering, rolling the dice w/some downloads from Guitar College (eg: www.guitarcollege.net). Looking, in particular, at the "theory and technique" courses.

From their FAQ page, this:

WHO IS OUR TYPICAL STUDENT?Generally, he's over 40, played in a band in high school or college, stopped playing for a family and career and now he's rediscovered the joy of guitar playing. He's started practicing again and maybe even bought a nice instrument or two. But his tastes have changed, he's heard some of the new jazz and fingerstyle players and discovered their predecessors. He'd like to learn to play music that doesn't require a band, bar or dance to perform. Now he's more interested in either playing solo, with a friend or two, with a small jazz combo or on a worship team.
    He's ready to study guitar and this time he wants to do it right! He's no longer satisfied with only learning chords to a Stones tune or playing the intro licks to 20 songs. He would like to fill the holes in his playing and musical education, develop his skills and confidence, expand his repertoire and reach a level where he can teach himself and enjoy the rewards from his playing.
    It's difficult for him to commit to a scheduled guitar lessons from a local teacher every week, take group lessons at the college or put his life on hold to study at a guitar school. He wants affordable, quality guitar instruction and music education with the flexibility to study at home, office or maybe even when he travels, basically at his convenience.
    Well, that's me.

Anyone done these courses... comments?

Ok, that's probably a mouthful enough from me. Appreciate any feedback/comments.

Thanks.

Lightbulb

Welcome to the forum friend and welcome to TrueFire! And yes it is remarkable how many folks are the 'typical' TrueFire student and you can also take some joy in knowing that for most who fit that 'typical' profile - everyone is the same but way way different and you can be assured that you'll find people and courses that appeal to you.

Now as for the Data DVD thing. It's a self contained course format, using various varieties of Flash that are built up for the express purpose of delivering the course to you. The videos and jam tracks and PDF's and such are accessible in the course. It plays on the computer. You can either get a hard copy mailed to you, a download version that is the exact same thing or both. Well here is a copy of what it looks like, I'm off for the day. Welcome again and other folks will be around to say hello. I look forward to hearing more from you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

Welcome jdmckay! I, and many others, have a very similar profile here. Played young, put on hold while raising family etc., and now back at it. Trust me....you are in good company.

If you want to start back into some theory don't buy anything yet....One of our forum gurus but together an EXCELLENT theory course. It's free and it's awesome! Starts basic and spoon feeds you a LOT of info. Here's a link to "Beboy's Theory Course"

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3985

Enjoy, and welcome!
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Blog Entries

Hey jdmckay

Welcome to the forum. I think you're gonna fit in just fine. There's a lot of us used to play and stopped for family but I'm back now types in here. WE are all loving playing again all over.

Look forward to hearing more from you in the forum.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Default Thanks...

... all for replies.

@ Gadlaw: Hmmm... I think I want printed (or PDF/printable) material now, so I'll take a pass on that one for now.

@Wolfboy1: Ya, I actually read that thread/downloaded before registering here. Thanks.

@JestMe: Nice to find (what seems like) informed, well participated forum for guitar learning... especially w/some common age and life experiences. I really look forward to participating in this place.

Q: is my request for a non-TF course (I mentioned above, eg: GuitarCollege.net) considered OT here? I don't want to come in here & start laying turds before I've even taken a chair!!!

Thanks.

--

"We were borne with feet, not roots. We were meant to
    be mobile."

Buckminster Fuller

A data DVD is a disc that contains video files and printable PDFs to use with your computer. If you put it into a standard DVD player, the player won't know what to do with it and will likely tell you so.

The video files are similar to YouTube videos, except that they play through the video player that is included on the disc. The PDF for Howard Morgen's course is exhaustive, and is completely printable if you would rather hold it in your hand than see it on the screen. (I consider Morgen's course to be the best course on TrueFire, so excellent choice! Just be aware that, while the concepts are universal, the course focuses on jazz chord melody to teach them. So if you want to learn thrash metal, you will probably be disappointed. )

The standard DVDs contain about 20% less material than the data DVDs, so keep that in mind.

Welcome aboard!

Yes most definitely, the PDF files are printable. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Printable PDFs of the music with tab. You can actually get a free course from the welcome thread so you'll have a clearer idea of what were talking about. Once you see it in action you'll like it. It's the best of all worlds and they work hard making it as accessible and helpful as possible.

Blog Entries

I've been over guitar college myself on occasion. THere's some good fingerstyle jazz and hymn stuff over there. I grabbed a couple of hymn downloads and looked over their stuff. Seems like a cool place.

We're a bunch of guitar enthusiasts that enjoy all things guitar. As far as bringing up GC, not a problem, we're fine with that. TF has good products that stand on their own merits compared to anything else out there so it's all cool. You can enjoy both. OTOH We don't want to be spammed by anyone either.

Have fun.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Red face One more thing

First of all, welcome to the forum, JD!

In addition to the printable pdf files, most courses contain a software called "Power Tab" that is like a tabbed out copy of the lesson that plays with a midi sound on your computer. I don't use it much, but it is there.
    ALSO, since we are very close in age, the screen shot Gadlaw gave us in a previous post is excellent, but you can also make the video go to full scree so that it is larger. Important to someone with eyes like mine.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing.Eph. 4:31,32 I need to remember this every day.

I forget sometimes all the things we know from having familiarity with TrueFire courses that folks might not otherwise know about. Not knowing that the charts are printable, that there is Power Tab for the tab including a copy of the Power Tab program and jam tracks for many of the courses included. This shows the music and the text - available for print for most courses.

Additionally, jdmckay - click on this thread http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147
    and read what the owner has to say - Brad will provide you a sample course for download by just doing what you did here - all the questions will be answered and you'll know if TrueFire courses are for you. We've got world class instructors here including Tommy Emmanuel, Howard Morgen, Tierra Negra, Muriel Anderson, Carl Verheyen, Larry Carlton, Brad Carlton and others I can't remember off the top of my head, brilliant folks like Chris Buono, Robbie Calvo, Marc Schonbrun, David Hamburger, even more folks in every style of music.

Also if you go to TrueFire TV http://truefire.com/tftv/ you can browse all the courses, read all about each and every one and view sample videos from each and every course. No hard sell, no gimmicks, no sales tricks - just take a look for yourself. Taking a look at the site you mentioned it really cannot compete with the depth and breadth of instruction you can find here. I have great respect for small Guitar Instruction Operations, TrueFire started out as a small operation from back in the day of calling a phone number in your guitar magazine to hear Brad Carlton demonstrate the article tab for you and I still do support small operations like ones who do a lot of their outreach via YouTube like Goldhat, Justin Sandercoe and LazyFret. It's all good. There's going to be folks who you can relate to, who will teach you exactly what you need. It's just that TrueFire is the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi!

Welcome to the welcome center....I mean the forum.

You already fit in...I wouldn't say 'going to.

Murray
    Just visiting TrueFire.com? Why not join us?

http://truefire.com/ignite/?code=murrayatuptowngaller

Default I ordered...

FingerBoard Breakthough today. Gon'a start w/that one, and the laborious task (which I didn't expect) of training my fingering had to behave in a manner suggested by my teacher. I think that's a good idea, as does teacher... my hand, however, doesn't like it so much... yet.

Anyway, it's off to the races for another geezer around this joint!!!

Thanks all for the comments, and warm welcome. Nice to be here.

Cheers!!!

--

Kind Regards,
    Jim McKay
    "We were borne with feet, not roots. We were meant to be mobile."

Buckminster Fuller

As a fellow newbie from Albuquerque, I also had a question about the data-dvds: Is there any difference between the download and the data-dvd? Any files on the data-dvd that aren't included in the download?

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by zz5555 View Post
    As a fellow newbie from Albuquerque, I also had a question about the data-dvds: Is there any difference between the download and the data-dvd? Any files on the data-dvd that aren't included in the download?

Thanks,
    Steve
    The Data-DVD and the downloads are exactly the same with exactly the same information. I've frequently bought both and pulled up the dvd when it gets here and it's all the same. So no worries there. It's just with the speed of the internet now and so many people with high speed connections that the option is a viable one which is one of the reasons they have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by zz5555 View Post
    As a fellow newbie from Albuquerque, I also had a question about the data-dvds: Is there any
    What Gadlaw said...

I bought the mail/DVD. Reason is, I have in last 5 years bought 3 hi end DVD burners for my laptop. I've used Nero to burn, for some time. Thing is, almost every time I do burn something... there's always one track that, for reasons I've never been able to correct, that goes south somehow. Changed burners, even tried different burning software (a bunch of 'em) and it always happens. I know others... many, who don't have this issue. I also know many who do.

So I bought the mailable DVD.

Additionally, if you are considering the DVD I asked about (Fingerboard Breakthrough), let me put 2 enthusiastic thumbs up for that puppy... it's excellent, has provided me much of what I had hoped to get, and... I have come to very much like that instructor... now, one of my favorite people I've never met!!!!

Fingerboard Breakthrough - by Howard Morgen. May he Rest in Peace. And he was a great guy too, he would answer questions folks had about his course and was glad to share his knowledge with everyone. I also have not had great luck with burners for a while now. I'm assuming it has to do with some of the 'updates' we've all received to Windows or this or that - designed to break our burners for us. I do appreciate the hard copies myself as well, it's just the impatient me that wants the downloads as well.
    Name:  fingerboard_mast.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  29.5 KB
    http://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-less...-breakthrough/

JDMCKAY...

Welcome... I can truly appreciate your life story. It is so similiar to mine regarding your playing and going from 20 years old to a family, job, house, etc.etc. to one day realizing so much time has passed and passing faster every day

AT 59, I am also discovering that there are still so many things on my list. Looking back, not only would I gladly do the same things but with even more intensity then you know you have at thirty years old. I know we have all heard this over and over ... " I wish I knew then, what I know now"

I look forward to the new adventures that lie here awaiting my discovery. Pleasure to meet you

AL

jdmckay,

Thanks for the referral on Fretboard Breakthrough. I had spent the last 30 minutes or so reading the information and watching the sampler there and Howard put things in perspective quickly. I am saddened to learn he is no longer with us. His comments on SNAPSHOT chords hit home. One of those crazy light bulb moments.