Thread: Compensation

Default Compensation

I have been told on more than one occasion that I suffer from low self esteem, I hate that word, or two words. So I wonder if my goal to be a better guitar player is to compensate for my deficiencies, real or imagined.
    Are any of you compensating?

Yes I'm incredibly bad in bed.

I'm waiting for Truefire to move into this area, but in the meantime I'm getting better at guitar
    Check it out 2014 Practice Plan & Goals

Psalm 33 v3 Sing to Him a new song! Play SKILLFULLY as you shout out your praises to Him!

I'd like to see a Brad Carlton course giving us self steem

Quote Originally Posted by PosterBoy View Post
    Yes I'm incredibly bad in bed.

I'm waiting for Truefire to move into this area, but in the meantime I'm getting better at guitar
    Who would you like to teach the course?

Quote Originally Posted by Rgalvez View Post
    I'd like to see a Brad Carlton course giving us self steem
    That is a excellent choice of instructors, if I could play like him I'd have self esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticguitar View Post
    Who would you like to teach the course?
    This is going to take some serious thought...
    Check it out 2014 Practice Plan & Goals

Psalm 33 v3 Sing to Him a new song! Play SKILLFULLY as you shout out your praises to Him!

I have been told on more than one occasion that I suffer from low self esteem, I hate that word, or two words. So I wonder if my goal to be a better guitar player is to compensate for my deficiencies, real or imagined.
    That's three words.
    I don't know how you could learn self esteem from Brad Carlton since I recall him giving Red an exercise and saying he was leaving until Red got it right or something like that. Robbie Calvo can make you feel good about yourself. I think Wolfboy will be here in a bit to post the cartoon about guitar playing and women. - Stick figure lady nakedness!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    I think Wolfboy will be here in a bit to post the cartoon about guitar playing and women. - Stick figure lady nakedness!
    I'm subscribing to this thread NOW!
    Johnny

Less is more

Red face No Johnny No!

Are you just wanting to see the 50 Bedroom Tricks You Must Know be released on DVD? I really hope TrueFire doesn't have to start delivering its products in plain brown wrappers. I think we will be ok.

I was standing in a convenience store in the south once when the fellow in front of me made a comment about the women on the covers of the magazines behind their counter. The lady store clerk looked at him and replied, "I done told you, Elbert! Them paper women can't do nothing good for you!" I tried not to crack up laughing, but she sure did make a good point!

I talked to a shrink once and told him I thought I might suffer from low self esteem. He told me not to worry; he said it is common among losers!

Now that was just a joke, but I did tell a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist that when growing up I had read a multitude of books on psychology. I said that when I first started reading them, I did so because I thought I might have an inferiority complex. He told me, "Inferiority complex? That is too complex. Why don't we just say you have feelings of inadequacy? That is much more simple, easier to address, and far more common among all of us." Another good point.

Now about compensation...I rarely ever get paid to play.
    Last edited by wvgman; 12-27-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    wow, I'm glad you stopped right there

Are you just wanting to see the 50 Bedroom Tricks You Must Know be released on DVD?
    Nah...it was the pics I though about
    My wife says it's okay for me to look at the menu, as long as I "eat" home
    Johnny

Less is more

Blog Entries

Yep... I'm thinking 2012 is going to be an interesting year.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Jonny, if that cartoon gets you excited your wife will be the one with the inferiority complex!

I don't think self-confidence comes from BC or Robbie Calvo or anyone else. You develop it for yourself by realizing that you are capable of handling whatever comes your way. A lot of us, though, stand in our own way by trying to accomplish things that are out of our own control (for example, you can control your school grades, but many students focus on getting accepted to a particular college, which is completely out of their control, and they take the rejection personally). If you break down everything into things you can control and things you can't, make note of things you decide not to accomplish (e.g., I have decided not to get a Tesla Roadster because I don't want to do what is necessary to acquire the money), and focus on what's left, then you'll go a long, long way toward gaining self-confidence.

Anyway, the biggest point to remember is that no one can make you feel good or bad about yourself. If you let them...well, there's your problem!

As for compensation, I'm with wvgman (though I plan to change that soon!), and I thought that's where this thread was headed.

Default Alright, the next course up then

I was going to go with '50 Bedroom Licks You Must Know' but that's way too obvious. Don't want to sound like the Help Section over at the Barnes and Noble but you are in charge of how you feel about yourself. Speaking of which, you can pick up chicks at the Self Help Section of the Barnes and Noble, if you have low self esteem you have a great chance of finding a lady there with low self esteem as well who will think you're the most amazing boyfriend she's ever found and will probably even lie to you and tell you you're great in bed.

I'm not sure which would be more interesting: The PIP video or the practice rhythm tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by DjangoTango View Post
    I'm not sure which would be more interesting: The PIP video or the practice rhythm tracks!

I was going to go with the first, thought I should include the second.

Use the loop and slo-mo features....
    Just visiting TrueFire.com? Why not join us?

http://truefire.com/ignite/?code=murrayatuptowngaller

Red face Now I am really laughing!

I have had some LOL moments here on this thread, but Gadlaw, the last post saying "Wvgman approves this thread-with reservations" has me rolling with laughter.

I had pretty much regained some small degree of composure after the laughs I got from your "Can TrueFire Help-Gadlaw sez" ad, but now it is back to giggle town!
    Last edited by wvgman; 12-27-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Gadlaw I think you just redefined the term "Bedroom Shredder"
    Johnny

Less is more

Question

Oh hell yes, what else can a 50-something female do? lol!

Question

::roflmao!::

i was going to go with '50 bedroom licks you must know' but that's way too obvious. Don't want to sound like the help section over at the barnes and noble but you are in charge of how you feel about yourself. Speaking of which, you can pick up chicks at the self help section of the barnes and noble, if you have low self esteem you have a great chance of finding a lady there with low self esteem as well who will think you're the most amazing boyfriend she's ever found and will probably even lie to you and tell you you're great in bed.

You guys are awesome, I feel better about myself already.

Blog Entries

So now we know all it takes is a little innuendo to get knittergeek posting....naughty naughty

I know Gadlaw was referring to my favorite cartoon

As a naval aviator and prosecuting attorney I have never lacked self-confidence, despite being on the short side (and now the short and slightly round side)

But I have noticed that you can always look at an Air Force officer's watch and tell by it's size what he might be compensating for
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Arrow

I recommend you always use a metronome or at least drum machine for Both..

Best Ever !

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a spy.
    Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread...ot-Study-Group

Quote Originally Posted by torr71 View Post
    I recommend you always use a metronome or at least drum machine for Both..
    Yah, but from what I have heard about most of you guys (all of you guys) you'd need to have that thing on a short timer.
    Okay, maybe I made that last part up.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    So now we know all it takes is a little innuendo to get knittergeek posting....naughty naughty
    You don't know me very well yet... I'm usually the one who's dropping the innuendos :D

KG

Innuendo? Isn't that a Mexican Boy Band? I thought this was a truth telling thread? Or me alternating between my Ford Fairlane and my Woody Allen brands of humor. As well as some Monty Python/South Park.

Hopefully you are still talking about guitar!

We are the boy band who say "Ni!"
    "Ni!"
    "Ni!"
    "Nu!"
    "Bloody 'ell. Ricky Martin can never get it right.."

Innuendo? Isn't that a Mexican Boy Band? ... As well as some Monty Python/South Park.

Blog Entries

Trust me Ricky can get it right....

When this one was new, if it came on at a bar when I was out with my wife....well I was having a good night.....

I want to go to Miami, drink some cold ones, eat some conch fritters and dance baby like there's no tomorrow one more time before I die (I promise not to "take my clothes off in the rain!")

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Blog Entries

The man could make a video

That's pretty funny...

Livin La Vida Wolfie!

Trust me Ricky can get it right....
    When this one was new, if it came on at a bar when I was out with my wife....well I was having a good night.....

Cool! What did you fly?

As a naval aviator...