Blog Entries

Default Tone: Do we want to know more?

Sorry to steal a line from Starship Troopers. Looking back through some courses lately and including the latest 50 Rockabilly. I was thinking it would be good to have some amp/effect settings put on the pdf's as a guide to sonic wisdom. I know Chris Buono has included POD XT settings in some of his courses but wouldn't mind a hint to Robbie's setting or Jason's slap back settings. Maybe like a graphic on the paper and the artists could tell us what his amps/effects on that kinda thing and we fill it in.

Looking at other sources of tone as a by the way came across this site that I don't remember seeing on here with some interesting articles

http://www.tonesettings.com/

H

Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Hutch I think that is a great idea I know I messed around with the tones Chris B. Had included with his course and that was cool. I really like the idea of amp and effect settings. It would be a great addition

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch82 View Post
    Sorry to steal a line from Starship Troopers. Looking back through some courses lately and including the latest 50 Rockabilly. I was thinking it would be good to have some amp/effect settings put on the pdf's as a guide to sonic wisdom. I know Chris Buono has included POD XT settings in some of his courses but wouldn't mind a hint to Robbie's setting or Jason's slap back settings. Maybe like a graphic on the paper and the artists could tell us what his amps/effects on that kinda thing and we fill it in.

Looking at other sources of tone as a by the way came across this site that I don't remember seeing on here with some interesting articles

http://www.tonesettings.com/

H

Red face Good idea.

I like the thought of having the amp and effects settings given in some courses where it could really make a difference. Either in each of the pdf files as even just a list in a separate pdf file. It would be cool.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Some Gilmour settings for Podxt

http://www.dueymoore.com/pod_hd_and_xt_patches.html
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Blog Entries

Line6 - Free stuff (loops, riffs, chord/scale generator etc.)

http://line6.com/support/community/free_stuff

Line6 - Preset exchange - "Custom Tone"

http://line6.com/customtone/
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

I like your thinkin', Hutch.

Cool links, WB1!

Arrow

Ahhhh Tone...its all in the Fingers .... and I could use more Fingers for sure..

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

"One of these days I'm gonna cut you up into little pieces."

Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread...ot-Study-Group

Blog Entries

Sounds like a great idea. Wish I'd a thought it.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

H,
    I love you to bits man but why did you have to mention the T word.
    Its an unrealistic goal. You can have the best tone in the world and you will still want more.
    torrs got it right, its in ya fingers.

Take for example the guy I play with. For a long time I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how I could get onto the same terms, tonally. One day I realised that actually my tone is better but it is the way that he plays that makes him stand out.

He is an extrovert, loud, hi gain, bags of delay type of guy
    I am an introvert, moderately loud, crunch, you wont miss my FX untill they are gone type of guy.

I think that my good tone comes from not using too much gain and subtle amounts of FX

His good tones comes from his extoverted playing style, sustain from all the gain, ultra wide vibrato and his touch.

While I think that all this digital modeling stuff is pretty good, there is no substitute for shifting air with plenty of volume, althought it is somewhat impracticle in the home.

Oe of my fave tones is the intro to ZZ Tops Brown Sugar (dont bother with the youtube examples, they just dont sound right). This sounds like a big old marshall crancked with a Les Paul on the neck pup with the volume rolled right down.

One off he best tones I can get at home is my fender blues deluxe at the point where it starts to break up and my guitar on the neck pup with the volume rolled off... but it can always be improved

Andy

sorry for rambling, ive had a few.

Yes we do want to know more
    Last edited by Monkfish; 12-14-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: I forgot about the original question

Blog Entries

Great answer Andy yay man I know what your saying, I know I've spent years trying to emulate my favorite players ssshh the T word and working on the sound with fingers. But the T is a bit of a Black Art for many and when your starting out I think lots of players would benefit from a pointer from our educators and a the moment it's not often touched on in the courses. Thinking also having the knob twiddling understood helps you shape the T that you identify with that makes you sound like you if that makes sense. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to add to course material but could help us all in different ways a lot.

This kinda thing

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday