Thread: Drum machine

Default Drum machine

On some of BC's courses, he recommends jamming with a Drum machine, I don't know anything about them but a Drum machine could really help my timing. Any recommendations for a Drum machine?

Arrow

I use the Boss Dr 880 ...it plays bass and drums...tons of patterns and is very editable ,plus I can use it as a sound source for my Midi stuff...

Best Ever !

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a spy.
    Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread...ot-Study-Group

Quote Originally Posted by torr71 View Post
    I use the Boss Dr 880 ...it plays bass and drums...tons of patterns and is very editable ,plus I can use it as a sound source for my Midi stuff...

I shall check this machine out on the internet, cost and where to buy.
    Thanks torr71

Quote Originally Posted by torr71 View Post

Well $499.00 is more than I want to spend,, although the machine is definetly awesome.
    I wonder what is out there for $200.00 tops.

Blog Entries

It does look like a great machine... have you considered looking for a used one on eBaY or Craig's?
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Arrow

I bought mine Used off e-bay for close to that...and it was practically new...Search around ..ya never know...

Best Ever !

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

Blog Entries

Torr - Do you use yours in your monthly jam tracks?

Cool, if so....sounds great!
    Stay tuned

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jestme View Post
    It does look like a great machine... have you considered looking for a used one on eBaY or Craig's?
    Jestme,
    Your suggestion is so obvious that it completely evaded me. I will go to Craigs list in my area, Ebay is out for me, I live in Hawaii and shipping is a bitch

Arrow

Torr - Do you use yours in your monthly jam tracks?

Cool, if so....sounds great!
    Yes I's Do..and it is cool....

Best Ever !

Blog Entries

Check out the Alesis SR-18. I think it's now right around $200.00 new off Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-SR18-Ma...7957147&sr=8-1

The next-generation Alesis SR18 drum machine .

The next-generation Alesis SR18 drum machine is loaded with cutting-edge drumsets, electronic drums, one-shot hits, and modern percussion sounds--from hip-hop to country and everything in between--for any cutting-edge musician's performances and compositions. It also offers an effects engine with Alesis reverb, EQ, and compression so you can output recording or performance-ready sounds. And Alesis' exclusive Dynamic Articulation feature enables a drum sound to change its tonal content as it's played harder--just like an acoustic drum--for truly realistic performances.

The rear ports of the SR18 (see larger image).
    You can plug in an instrument, such as a guitar, and play along for setup simplicity. You can play in bass parts using the pads on the SR18 or connect a MIDI keyboard for fast, musical low end. The SR18 can be powered by AC or batteries for on-the-go composition
    Key Features

* Large, 32 MB sound set with percussion bank and bass synth
    * Over 500 drum and percussion sounds and 50 bass sounds
    * Built-in Alesis effects: reverbs, EQs, and compression
    * Pattern Play Mode enables different patterns to be triggered from the pads directly
    * Programmable Drum Roll function
    * Mute/Solo Function: mute drums, bass, and percussion or individual pads
    * Flexible wall (adapter included) and battery powering (six AA, not included)
    * Backlit LCD
    * 100 preset patterns, 100 user locations
    * 12 velocity sensitive pads
    * Tap tempo for instant beats exactly as you want them

Dynamic Articulation
    Discerning ears will notice that each sound is actually a series of different samples; multiple dynamic-level samples and articulations are all built in so as you play harder and softer, the drum or cymbal changes its timbre, not just its volume. This engineered realism is known as Dynamic Articulation, an Alesis exclusive.

This results in sounds that respond accurately not only to dynamic changes, but also with the appropriate timbral and color changes you'd expect from their acoustic counterparts. You can play with or without reverb for different room sounds and enjoy a wide variety of rimshots, rim clicks and different stick-placement sounds on the cymbals. The Random Sample feature also ensures you don't get the same sound twice for further creative realism.
    Specifications

* Sound set: 32 MB, multi-sampled
    * Polyphony: 32 voices
    * Inputs: 1/4-inch instrument (guitar)
    * Outputs: 1/4-inch stereo pair, 1/4-inch TRS, 1/4-inch TRS stereo headphone
    * MIDI: in, out/thru
    * Footswitch: two inputs - start/stop, count/A/B/fill

Product Description
    INSTANT DRUMS FOR ON-THE-GO MUSICIANS. Alesis knows drums. Our SR16 has dominated the drum machine market since 1990 and continues to be in-demand today. Following in the tradition of its relative, the next-generation SR18 is loaded with cutting-edge drumsets, electronic drums, one-shot hits, and modern percussion sounds for any cutting-edge musicianís performances and compositions. From hip-hop to country and everything in between, SR18 nails it on the first take. SR18 has an effects engine with Alesis reverb, EQ, and compression so you can output recording or performance-ready sounds. Dynamic Articulationô enables sound to change in color and timbre, the same way that acoustic instruments do for truly realistic performances. SR18 can be powered by AC or batteries, so whenever or wherever you need to lay down a groove, youíre ready to roll. Itís time for the next Alesis drum machine.

http://www.alesis.com/sr18 (a couple of videos here)

Personally I owned the SR-16 (like half the world) for awhile and those are easy to pick up used. Good machine easy to use not as many options as SR-18. I found that jam tracks and computer drums of various types do what I need but a drum machine through a small PA can really add to a solo performance.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Depending on your needs and budget, you should consider the Boss Micro-BR. It isn't a drum machine. It's actually a 4-track recorder, but it does have a very rudimentary drum machine built in, along with several amp sims. And you can store mp3 files on there to practice with. It's nothing you'll cut a record with, but for ~$250 that isn't a bad deal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    Check out the Alesis SR-18. I think it's now right around $200.00 new off Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-SR18-Ma...7957147&sr=8-1

The next-generation Alesis SR18 drum machine .

The next-generation Alesis SR18 drum machine is loaded with cutting-edge drumsets, electronic drums, one-shot hits, and modern percussion sounds--from hip-hop to country and everything in between--for any cutting-edge musician's performances and compositions. It also offers an effects engine with Alesis reverb, EQ, and compression so you can output recording or performance-ready sounds. And Alesis' exclusive Dynamic Articulation feature enables a drum sound to change its tonal content as it's played harder--just like an acoustic drum--for truly realistic performances.

The rear ports of the SR18 (see larger image).
    You can plug in an instrument, such as a guitar, and play along for setup simplicity. You can play in bass parts using the pads on the SR18 or connect a MIDI keyboard for fast, musical low end. The SR18 can be powered by AC or batteries for on-the-go composition
    Key Features

* Large, 32 MB sound set with percussion bank and bass synth
    * Over 500 drum and percussion sounds and 50 bass sounds
    * Built-in Alesis effects: reverbs, EQs, and compression
    * Pattern Play Mode enables different patterns to be triggered from the pads directly
    * Programmable Drum Roll function
    * Mute/Solo Function: mute drums, bass, and percussion or individual pads
    * Flexible wall (adapter included) and battery powering (six AA, not included)
    * Backlit LCD
    * 100 preset patterns, 100 user locations
    * 12 velocity sensitive pads
    * Tap tempo for instant beats exactly as you want them

Dynamic Articulation
    Discerning ears will notice that each sound is actually a series of different samples; multiple dynamic-level samples and articulations are all built in so as you play harder and softer, the drum or cymbal changes its timbre, not just its volume. This engineered realism is known as Dynamic Articulation, an Alesis exclusive.

This results in sounds that respond accurately not only to dynamic changes, but also with the appropriate timbral and color changes you'd expect from their acoustic counterparts. You can play with or without reverb for different room sounds and enjoy a wide variety of rimshots, rim clicks and different stick-placement sounds on the cymbals. The Random Sample feature also ensures you don't get the same sound twice for further creative realism.
    Specifications

* Sound set: 32 MB, multi-sampled
    * Polyphony: 32 voices
    * Inputs: 1/4-inch instrument (guitar)
    * Outputs: 1/4-inch stereo pair, 1/4-inch TRS, 1/4-inch TRS stereo headphone
    * MIDI: in, out/thru
    * Footswitch: two inputs - start/stop, count/A/B/fill

Product Description
    INSTANT DRUMS FOR ON-THE-GO MUSICIANS. Alesis knows drums. Our SR16 has dominated the drum machine market since 1990 and continues to be in-demand today. Following in the tradition of its relative, the next-generation SR18 is loaded with cutting-edge drumsets, electronic drums, one-shot hits, and modern percussion sounds for any cutting-edge musicianís performances and compositions. From hip-hop to country and everything in between, SR18 nails it on the first take. SR18 has an effects engine with Alesis reverb, EQ, and compression so you can output recording or performance-ready sounds. Dynamic Articulationô enables sound to change in color and timbre, the same way that acoustic instruments do for truly realistic performances. SR18 can be powered by AC or batteries, so whenever or wherever you need to lay down a groove, youíre ready to roll. Itís time for the next Alesis drum machine.

http://www.alesis.com/sr18 (a couple of videos here)

Personally I owned the SR-16 (like half the world) for awhile and those are easy to pick up used. Good machine easy to use not as many options as SR-18. I found that jam tracks and computer drums of various types do what I need but a drum machine through a small PA can really add to a solo performance.
    I saw this machine on Youtube but didn't know anything about it...but now it looks like something I could really use and afford.

Default Open Source software

You could check out hydrogen. It is open source software.
    http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/

I can't be bothered with hardware drum machines any more, I have still got the emotional scars of programming them 20 years ago.

Give me plugins like Ez drummer and superior drums everytime,
    Check it out 2014 Practice Plan & Goals

Psalm 33 v3 Sing to Him a new song! Play SKILLFULLY as you shout out your praises to Him!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod123 View Post
    You could check out hydrogen. It is open source software.
    http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/
    Never heard of Hydrogen. Looks like a wonderful freebie and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately for me I am all about Windows7 now and it says here:

"Hydrogen is an advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux. It's main goal is to bring professional yet simple and intuitive pattern-based drum programming"

but a good program never the less!

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PosterBoy View Post
    I can't be bothered with hardware drum machines any more, I have still got the emotional scars of programming them 20 years ago.

Give me plugins like Ez drummer and superior drums everytime,
    Yeah PB, That's one of the things I've been wondering about...

How much of a learning curve is there with these things?
    AND
    How much time does it take to create a program for a tune?

I'd hate to cut into my limited practice time reading manuals or creating complex programs for a drum machine.
    Stay tuned

Chris

We have a couple of different questions being asked here. The OP was specifically referring to BC's recommendation to jam to a drum machine. What BC is essentially saying is that jamming to a drum machine will feel more "real" than jamming to a metronome, and you will probably be more creative because of it. I don't think there's any question that he is correct. (It was for this reason I suggested the Micro-BR. The drum machine is nothing special, but it's perfect for jamming.)

If we're talking about actually using a drum machine to lay out drum tracks for a recording, that changes everything. At that point you have to decide how "real" you want the drums to sound and if it's worth using a machine vs. downloading loops vs. finding a drummer. Each person will have to answer that for themselves.
    Last edited by DjangoTango; 10-07-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Arrow

AND

I'd hate to cut into my limited practice time reading manuals or creating complex programs for a drum machine.
    I use my Drum Machine mostly as a sound source and use programs like EZ drummer and Groove Monkey Drum Patterns for drums..All of the Programming/Editing is done via midi editor ..Most recording programs will have this..

Best Ever !

AND

Dont like to program drums at all - have played with some really good drummers in the past and all this programmed stuff is most of the time just lame - of course there are exceptions.

It needs a trillion of hours to learn the guitar why should I be able to program an authentic beat within a few month?
    Jestme, for Plugins like BFD, EZdrummer etc. there are midi-drum-files available. Real studio drummers recorded these files so you should get an authentic sound. Learning curve: Well, you should be able to work with a DAW and inastall vsts etc.

I'd suggest that someone here gets some real drum skiltz under his belt to help us out.

Blog Entries

Thanks gents...

So the drum machines [not to put them down] may not actuall sound like real drums but are very useful for practicing and jamming...?

If one wants real sounding drums then look for real drums...?

Torr - Are you saying that you use EZDrummer and Groove Monkey to program patterns to use on your drum machine...?

Is there a rough learning curve...? Did it take you a long while to become proficient wotj the machine or Programming patterns?
    Stay tuned

Chris

Arrow

I'd suggest that someone here gets some real drum skiltz under his belt to help us out.
    I'll volunteer YOU !

Best Ever !

Thanks gents...
    So the drum machines [not to put them down] may not actuall sound like real drums but are very useful for practicing and jamming...?

yup, sounds like bc drums.

yup, or get a daw and ez drummer, bfd etc. and use prerecorded midi files from real studio drummers or samples.
    Short cut: http://www.rinki.net/pekka/monkey/

Is there a rough learning curve...? Did it take you a long while to become proficient wotj the machine or Programming patterns?

The learning curve is endless but its pretty easy to get it rolling.

Arrow

Thanks gents...

Torr - Are you saying that you use EZDrummer and Groove Monkey to program patterns to use on your drum machine...?

I use these Patterns but they are not loaded into the Drum Machine..My DAW uses MIDI to trigger the sounds in the Machine..If I wanted to take my DM to a gig I can use my netbook with tons of songs to trigger the Bass and Drums...Plus there are tons of Midi Files on the net...Free...Plus programming patterns via software is lots easier that doing it on the DM..however the DR-880 made it quite easy and the sounds are pretty real...

Best Ever !

There is a windows port available on the download page.

Never heard of Hydrogen. Looks like a wonderful freebie and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately for me I am all about Windows7 now and it says here:

"Hydrogen is an advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux. It's main goal is to bring professional yet simple and intuitive pattern-based drum programming"

but a good program never the less!

EZ Drummer is super simple to use, basically plug and play. Sound quality is terrific and you can either use an existing loop for whatever your doing or in 2 minutes throw together a "song" with intro, verse, chorus, bridge and appropriate fills.

One comment with respect to Drum machines/loops vs. metronome. Yes, loops can sound more "real" or fun/interesting but a metronome clearly has a role as well. For example, an overly complicated drum loop can actually take away from the objective of developing and or improving your sense of meter by confusing the listener. If you really want to test your self and accelerate your groove make sure to use a metronome where the clicks are set for beats 2 and 4 (or 1 and 3) only, or really SLOWWWW it down and work on your subdivisions. Bottom line is use both (or an unadorned drum track in you DAW, ie. just kick or snare or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Goerman View Post
    EZ Drummer is super simple to use, basically plug and play. Sound quality is terrific and you can either use an existing loop for whatever your doing or in 2 minutes throw together a "song" with intro, verse, chorus, bridge and appropriate fills.

One comment with respect to Drum machines/loops vs. metronome. Yes, loops can sound more "real" or fun/interesting but a metronome clearly has a role as well. For example, an overly complicated drum loop can actually take away from the objective of developing and or improving your sense of meter by confusing the listener. If you really want to test your self and accelerate your groove make sure to use a metronome where the clicks are set for beats 2 and 4 (or 1 and 3) only, or really SLOWWWW it down and work on your subdivisions. Bottom line is use both (or an unadorned drum track in you DAW, ie. just kick or snare or whatever).
    Thanks Goerman, I will look into EZ Drummer

I have used EZ Drummer i would say it's one of the great things out there.
    No Spam

Blog Entries

Hey sword....WELCOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sword View Post
    I have used EZ Drummer i would say it's one of the great things out there.
    How much would that be?

Blog Entries

Zaphod....thanks for the info, I missed it when I looked at their site.

Blog Entries

mystic EZdrummer is easy to find and their are lots of add ons as well. I have it but I have not done hardly any recording since I got it. Seems easy to use and is pretty well loved in a lot of guitar/recording forums.

$99.00 from Musicians Friend
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...03056000000000

Blog Entries

Wow...$74.80 from Amazon.com!

http://www.amazon.com/Toontrack-EZdr...9204512&sr=8-1

plus they seem to have all the expansion packs available. I got this one:

"The Latin Percussion EZX for EZdrummer contains the percussion sounds from the revolutionary, award-winning pro drum sampler, Drums From Hell Superior from Toontrack Music. The EZX includes midi files that will add that extra groove on top of your steady drumtrack. The Latin Percussion EZX uses TPC, Toontrack Percussive Compression.Percussionist Mikael Emsing on the recordings: "I was excited when Toontrack asked me to collaborate on this product. Most of the work I've done in the studio and live have not been traditional Latin or African music, but rather Rock, Pop or Jazz-type sessions. Most of the sampling libraries I've come across however, have been geared more towards traditional Ethnic music. I felt there was a need for a sample library with sounds adapted to these situations.I've spent years studying traditional music, but also spent an equal amount of time trying to get some sort of "signature" sound, a sound that works live as well as in the studio, a sound that has some soul to it and I wanted to be sure that came through on the sampled sounds. Much to my satisfaction the guys from Toontrack shared my vision and from the get-go we planned and recorded everything with this in mind. I also wanted a wide variety of sounds and through the generous help of MEINL Percussion we have been able to provide the vital instruments for making recordings in the aforementioned genres. All the instruments were recorded in different sizes and materials. From large to small, from wood to fiberglass etc. Carrying this DVD around will be a lot easier than lugging all those instruments around (thank god for cartage services by the way...). Time to get the groove going." Credits: The sounds for the Latin Percussion EZX were recorded, engineered and mixed by Henrik Kjellberg & Mattias Eklund at Musikanten and Toontrack Studios, Umea, Sweden The MIDI for the Latin Percussion EZX were played by Mikael Emsing and recorded at Toontrack Studios, Umea, Sweden Sound and MIDI editing: M"

I am still holding out hope I will get to start making some recordings using my classical and electrical guitars over some cool percussion

I have the Rock Songs add on pack, Drumkit From Hell, Vintage Rock, Nashville and just purchased Jazz. Another feature that I use a lot is Toontrack Solo, essentially a stand alone version of the software that you use outside of of your DAW. If I want to do some quick meter practice I open the solo app, select a groove ( from a broad selection such as 3/4, 4/4, swing, shuffle, odd meters) and click it. That takes all of 60 -90 seconds! The loops are midi based (but sound excellent!) so you can change the tempo as desired. At the other end of the spectrum, because the loops are midi based you can actually get inside and tinker (ie. add or subtract a rim shot if you are so inclined). Very cool. Check it out.

mystic EZdrummer is easy to find and their are lots of add ons as well. I have it but I have not done hardly any recording since I got it. Seems easy to use and is pretty well loved in a lot of guitar/recording forums.

$99.00 from Musicians Friend
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...03056000000000
    Thanks Wolfboy,
    I'm looking around on the web to see if I can't hear a sample of the product.