Talking Knob & switch descriptions on this Washburn...

Okay so I've looked all over the web, and couldn't find anything describing what the four knobs and the 3-way swtich do... I'm thinking that the switch is for the two humbuckers? I got the thing to sound the way I want purely by accident, Washburn states on their site that htey don't provide manuals for any of their stringed instruments. Does anyone have a J5 who can tell me what each of these is for? Thanks much!

KG

Red face Hi kg

I am just guessing that two of the knobs are for tone and two are for volume.
    If the switch has three positions, one position most likely engages the bridge pick-up, another position will engage both pick-ups, and the last position will engage the neck-pick up. The volume and tone control knobs will each relate to one of the pick-ups. This is just my educated guess from having been around guitars for long time. It is the likely configuration.
    I will try to attach a wiring diagram from Gibson's version of this type of guitar (I am guessing that is the guitar in your photo.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wvgman; 08-31-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing.Eph. 4:31,32 I need to remember this every day.

Red face Here is another

This one may make more sense:
    (OH, and by the way, I looked up the J5 and it is a beautiful guitar!)
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing.Eph. 4:31,32 I need to remember this every day.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    I am just guessing that two of the knobs are for tone and two are for volume.
    If the switch has three positions, one position most likely engages the bridge pick-up, another position will engage both pick-ups, and the last position will engage the neck-pick up. The volume and tone control knobs will each relate to one of the pick-ups. This is just my educated guess from having been around guitars for long time. It is the likely configuration.
    I will try to attach a wiring diagram from Gibson's version of this type of guitar (I am guessing that is the guitar in your photo.)
    Yup, that's my baby And thanks so much for the diagrams, it all makes total sense now.

Really appreciate the help on this! I'll be playing around with the different settings this weekend to see what other kinds of sound I can get out of it.

KG

Lightbulb You are most welcome.

Glad I was able to help. Sometimes folks who have been playing electrics for a long time can forget just how intimidating all those knobs, switches, bells, and whistles can be to players just discovering the beauty of electricity. I have been playing for years, but when I look at some Airline guitars, I still get dizzy. Glad you didn't ask about this one; it is out of my league. In fact, I don't know if Mr. Spock could fly this thing.