Default New guy - need help with Player ...

So here's the thing - I bought the 50 blues licks dvd. It had 2 pcs of paper: One said to download tools from guitarlab - the other said to open the powertab folder on the disk. There are only two folders on the disk - 'audio_ts" (empty) and "video_ts" (211 files) nothing named power tab.

so I logged in to guitarlab and downloaded the learning tool kit, which was a zipped file that, when unzipped, does not include the player software. It had powertabs (I don't read tabs), jam tracks and the scale pdf, but doesn't have the software - which is all I need. I tried the download again, but no luck. From reading other threads it seems that other courses have the player software right on the disk - but mine only seems to have the 50 lick files. I can play the disk using Windows video player, but all 50 clips run from one to the next, uninterruped.

I'm running an HP presarion notebook 64 bit with Windows 7. The download zip file is 229 mb.

What am I missing?

Blog Entries

Hey Blue

I'm not sure what happened here but I will pass your plight on to Ren who will be able to clear things up for you...

Hang on... help is-a-comin'.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

I don't happen to have any of the DVD versions but I'm thinking that Windows Media Player or the VLC player should work to play the videos there. The VLC Player link is right here. It should be able to play any dvd titles. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
    http://www.videolan.org/
    the VLC Player
    Features
    Simple, Powerful and Fast

Plays everything, Files, Discs (DVD, CD, VCD), Devices and Streams

Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed

Completely Free, 0 Spyware, Ads or User Tracking

Best Mpeg2, x264, DivX player

Works on most platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Unix...
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

I think the clips all run together when you use the Win player...

I don't have a DVD either... Anyway I emailed Ren
    Stay tuned

Chris

Blog Entries

Based on the folders you have on the disk, you have purchased the Standard DVD intended to play on your TV. There is also a Data-DVD format, which uses a form of Flash Video, and TrueFire's integrated player. Which links to the Tabs, Charts, Jam tracks, and accompanying text. This version only works on a computer.

The Standard DVD has each lesson segment (lick in this case) as a separate chapter on the disk. And I believe some players allow for looping or slow motion effects.

If this is NOT the format you intended I would either email nancy@truefire.com or call her at (800) 222-3366. Customer Service Hours are 9AM-5PM EST Monday through Friday. These guys have the best customer service policies anywhere.

Hope that helps.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Diesel View Post
    So here's the thing - I bought the 50 blues licks dvd. It had 2 pcs of paper: One said to download tools from guitarlab - the other said to open the powertab folder on the disk. There are only two folders on the disk - 'audio_ts" (empty) and "video_ts" (211 files) nothing named power tab.

so I logged in to guitarlab and downloaded the learning tool kit, which was a zipped file that, when unzipped, does not include the player software. It had powertabs (I don't read tabs), jam tracks and the scale pdf, but doesn't have the software - which is all I need. I tried the download again, but no luck. From reading other threads it seems that other courses have the player software right on the disk - but mine only seems to have the 50 lick files. I can play the disk using Windows video player, but all 50 clips run from one to the next, uninterruped.

I'm running an HP presarion notebook 64 bit with Windows 7. The download zip file is 229 mb.

What am I missing?

Blue Diesel,

You have the standard DVD version of the course which will play in your DVD player in your front room, along with your computer using the right software. Windows Media Player (Gadlaw's) VLC player will run the disck as well. This is not the software version of the course.

The little "read this" sheet should not have been put into your box as it does not apply to this version of the course. Apologize for the mix up, if you would like to switch it out for the Data-DVD version pop me an email ren@truefire.com and we will get you taken care of.

ren

Blog Entries

Blue

I meant to also say welcome to the forum. We got a great bunch of people here...as you have probably already noticed.

BTW the 50 Blues licks is a great course. Hope you enjoy it.
    Stay tuned

Chris

Arrow PowerTab software

Unless I'm misreading the original post, I believe BlueDiesel is looking for the PowerTab software
    in order to open the .ptb files downloaded in the Assets file offered with "50 Licks" DVD-Video purchases.

Referencing the "Tech Support" page on the TrueFire website, you'll find that the PowerTab software can be downloaded from http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
    and their "Power Tab is cool if you know how to use it" article.

esh.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    Blue Diesel,

You have the standard DVD version of the course which will play in your DVD player in your front room, along with your computer using the right software. Windows Media Player (Gadlaw's) VLC player will run the disck as well. This is not the software version of the course.

The little "read this" sheet should not have been put into your box as it does not apply to this version of the course. Apologize for the mix up, if you would like to switch it out for the Data-DVD version pop me an email ren@truefire.com and we will get you taken care of.

ren
    thanks ren - i'll email you for further clarification. Thanks to all the other posts as well. I'll do a proper 'new guy' post when i have some time.

Default OK - these guys ROCK!!

In my day job I'm used to dealing with bureaucracies of all sorts - banks, insurance companies, governments at all levels. It's unfortunate, but I've gotten to expect 'customer service' as an endless series of meaningless emails, hours on hold, unresolved problems. What a treat to deal with TF - I screw things up by ordering the wrong DVD and what do they do? They say: "What can we do to help you out - no charge". I say: "Hey - I don't expect to get anything for nothing - what do I owe you?" Rem's response was: "That is how we roll at TrueFire, going above and beyond!"

But what am I telling you guys for - you already knew this, didn't you!! I guess I forgot that I'm dealing with fellow musicians - who 'get it'.

Rem: Thanks for everything - you've got a customer for life - although if you knew how old I was you'd realize that may not be worth much ...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Diesel View Post
    In my day job I'm used to dealing with bureaucracies of all sorts - banks, insurance companies, governments at all levels. It's unfortunate, but I've gotten to expect 'customer service' as an endless series of meaningless emails, hours on hold, unresolved problems. What a treat to deal with TF - I screw things up by ordering the wrong DVD and what do they do? They say: "What can we do to help you out - no charge". I say: "Hey - I don't expect to get anything for nothing - what do I owe you?" Rem's response was: "That is how we roll at TrueFire, going above and beyond!"

But what am I telling you guys for - you already knew this, didn't you!! I guess I forgot that I'm dealing with fellow musicians - who 'get it'.

Rem: Thanks for everything - you've got a customer for life - although if you knew how old I was you'd realize that may not be worth much ...
    Hey Blue Diesel! Glad you are happy with the customer service there. Many of the folks here are also the kind of people who are hard to win over and many of us are long in the tooth as well so you fit right in. Ren and Brad and the Instructors and the folks in the forum are all really great folks that I'm glad to know. Friendly and helpful is important but so is a good quality product which these guys have and continue to improve upon. So what's not to love? Glad you are happy, feel free to start any discussions, ask any questions, join in any ongoing discussions. This isn't one of those rude forums you might have seen in the past either, just great people talking about guitar playing, theory, and helping each other out. Welcome again!
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw