Default Bassists for newbies to listen to

OK Folks. Just looking for a little list of bassist for us noobs to listen to.
    I came from the world of brass (jazz and swing mostly) so I have no idea who the real bass players are. I've heard them but have no idea their names or if the were are just a one hit wonder.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Low and slow keeps the pace...

Unhappy Hi bd!

Take a look at some of the guys in the featured videos in this section of TrueFireTV. You will be in good hands listening to them all. Bassists are like guitarists in that they each have different styles and genres they prefer. Check out some of these fellows and then look for them on You Tube. That might get you started. Hope this helps.
    http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html?...rch_query=bass
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Yup, big help thanks.

Lightbulb 50 Bass Players You Must Know - Part 1

in no particular order or genre...

• James Jamerson
    • Paul McCartney
    • Chuck Rainey
    • Victor Bailey
    • Larry Graham
    • Anthony Jackson
    • Stu Hamm
    • Jack Bruce
    • Billy Sheehan
    • Geddy Lee
    • Derek Smalls
    • Francis Rocco Prestia
    • Louis Johnson
    • Alain Caron
    • Stanley Clarke
    • Tetsuo Sakurai
    • Jaco Pastorius
    • Bunny Brunel
    • Ron Carter
    • Steve Bailey
    • Dave LaRue
    • Gary Willis
    • Victor Wooten
    • John Patitucci
    • Marcel Jacob
    • Steve Harris
    • Geezer Butler
    • Cliff Burton
    • Pete Way
    • John Myung
    • John Entwistle
    • Lemmy
    Last edited by eshmail; 07-01-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries

hiya bdmaxime I'm newish on the low frequencies too having played bass back in the 80's but picked it back up again to get it in recording. I'm getting back to playing along with my old soul records check out Leroy Hodges from the Hi Records rhythm section, Donald "Duck"Dunn from Stax records, David Hood from Muscle Schoals recordings, Jerry Jemmott and Chuck Rainey from Atlantic recording sessions, Ronald Baker from Philly Soul records all these guys have great feel, timing and groove

I'd recommend http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Player-Pr...9688602&sr=8-1

amongst many others JamersonsHook's channel on the tube is a goldmine

http://www.youtube.com/user/jamersonshook

oh and get Victor Wooten's Groove Workshop a lifetime of bass mantras and accessible too you just have to put in the work...damn lol

keep us informed of your bass journey too bud

H
    Last edited by Hutch82; 07-03-2011 at 06:35 AM.
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Default Thanks loads

Esh thanks for the list. I had no Idea about Mcartney.

Hutch, just checked out jamersons tube channel. Nice. Thanks.

Thanks all see ya round the board

B

I'm more in tune with groove than chops in terms of personal preference, but in general I would add to the exhaustive list above list these greats:

Will Lee (Letterman's band, studio guy)
    John Regan (Peter Frampton)
    Marcus Miller
    Leland Sklar (Studio guy, recorded with everyone)
    Abe Laboriel
    Charles Meeks (Chuck Mangione quartet)
    Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn (The Wrecking Crew, played EVERYTHING in LA in the 70s, Phil Spector's wall of sound, Beach Boys, Diana Ross, Carpenters, Monkees, Partridge Family, more commercials and TV themes than you could ever name)
    Ben Wolfe (for standup -Harry Connick Jr Big Band)
    George Duvivier (old school jazz standup)

So many bassists, so little time...
    Cheers,
    Phil
    www.philtraynor.com

- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy, and go well with ketchup.

I can't believe no one listed Billy Sheehan...he played with David Lee Roth & Mr. Big. However, being from Buffalo, I remember him with the band he started with...Talas. Talk to any bassist & I'll bet Billy's name WILL pop up in the conversation. He plays the bass like it's a lead guitar...AMAZING!

My Course Blogs:

Lightbulb Billy Sheehan

Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    I can't believe no one listed Billy Sheehan...he played with David Lee Roth & Mr. Big.
    You probably just overlooked that he's in the Top 10 of my list above...

I saw Billy with Talas after the release of "Sink Your Teeth into That"
    at a small club in Harrisburg, PA back in the '80's (pre-David Lee Roth) and again with Mr. Big.

Check out his funk/fusion collaboration, "Niacin" for more outstanding bass, B3 and drum interplay.

His guest appearances and session work also warrant mention as well.
    His playing on any of them is as important to the final mix as the artist themselves.
    One of my favorites is his playing on Tony MacAlpine's debut, "Edge of Insanity"
    and the missing cut from that session featured on the Guitar Player magazine flexi-soundpage
    "Birds of Prey w/Billy's Boogie (begins at 1:45)".

esh.
    Last edited by eshmail; 07-10-2011 at 10:45 PM.

You know I did miss him on your list...my apologies. I didn't think anyone could talk about bassists without mentioning Billy Sheehan!

I grew up in Buffalo & used to go see Talas play at a bar called Uncle Sams...BEFORE Sink Your Teeth came out. They had a great tune called See Saw that I just LOVED! The lead singer now works at a local Buffalo radio station called 97 Rock. I emailed him a few years ago saying I could not find their earlier albums anywhere here in Rochester. He emailed me an mp3 of See Saw that I crank in my car all the time!
    My Course Blogs:

How about Les Claypool from Primus.
    Did anybody mention Flea from the Redhot Chili Peppers. He can get pretty funky.

Default wow

Man thanks for the lists, some nice stuff. I just didn't know their names.

Phil nice idea about Meeks, I've played Chucks brass parts for years. Might as well listen and learn the low end

Quote Originally Posted by bdmaxime View Post
    Man thanks for the lists, some nice stuff. I just didn't know their names.

Phil nice idea about Meeks, I've played Chucks brass parts for years. Might as well listen and learn the low end
    He might be my single biggest influence, actually...
    Cheers,
    Phil
    www.philtraynor.com

- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy, and go well with ketchup.

Default High Praise, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTraynor View Post
    He might be my single biggest influence, actually...
    Having sampled the tunes on your website, I'd say that is high praise indeed!!
    Great website. I look forward to purchasing a few of your discs.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, Phil!!

esh.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eshmail View Post
    Having sampled the tunes on your website, I'd say that is high praise indeed!!
    Great website. I look forward to purchasing a few of your discs.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, Phil!!

esh.

Thanks very much! So far, I'm having a great time, that song thread has me hooked...

Yeah, Mangione and his quartet were single-handedly responsible for getting me into instrumental music, and jazz... The first time I heard "Feels So Good" on the radio, that was just it. I had to hear more of them... It's funny, you know how you'll be playing along, and play something that makes you snap back to a point in time in your mind, and you suddenly remember who you copped a lick, or a feel from? Well, for me, it was Meeks, and the drummer, James Bradley Jr, that were the first ones for me. I'm still stoked by it all, after all those years, and I got the treat of a lifetime with my most recent CD; I got to work with Mangione's horn player of 15 years, the mighty Chris Vadala. It brought all of that feeling back home for me, and you can hear a lot of the Mangione influence across the whole CD. The best compliment I ever got in my life, was from Chris, after cutting one of the flute parts for one of the songs, he said "Wow, I feel like I'm playing 'Chase the Clouds Away' here..." and I'd arranged the tune specifically with that in mind. Who knew? If it's not rude to do so, I'll post the video...
    Cheers,
    Phil
    www.philtraynor.com

Blog Entries

Phil

I feel your enthusiasm...

Feel free to post the vid...

We'll enjoy watching/hearing it.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jestme View Post
    Phil

I feel your enthusiasm...

Feel free to post the vid...

We'll enjoy watching/hearing it.
    Ditto. I just checked out your site. Man are the memories flooding back now!
    I need to take the day off just to go home listen and practice

Default Okay, since you asked..

This song was written by my late best fiend, Aaron Michael Leonard. He died in 1999, and I inherited his music catalog. Like me, Mikey was heavily inspired by Chuck Mangione. This song was always my favorite in this catalog, and since I was doing this CD with a level of seriousness heretofore unknown, I wanted this lovely song included.

It needed significant adaptation and re-arrangement, but it retains its original essence. In what was one of the many small miracles of this CD’s production process, I decided to give the tune to Chris Vadala. I recorded with Chris on August 29th of 2009, and I got to spend that day, the tenth anniversary of my best friend and brother’s death, recording his material with our mutual hero. How much better can life be?

Cheers,
    Phil
    www.philtraynor.com

Late Greats: Charles Mingus, Ray Brown, Keter Betts, Paul Chambers

Still alive, maybe not as big as those on the who's who list, but people I've met & liked listening to: Hiram Hazley (St. Pete FL), Edo Castro (Chicago, now SF, CA)
    Just visiting TrueFire.com? Why not join us?

http://truefire.com/ignite/?code=murrayatuptowngaller

Quote Originally Posted by murrayatuptown View Post
    Late Greats: Charles Mingus, Ray Brown, Keter Betts, Paul Chambers

Still alive, maybe not as big as those on the who's who list, but people I've met & liked listening to: Hiram Hazley (St. Pete FL), Edo Castro (Chicago, now SF, CA)
    Hiram is the MAN!! I was a temporary Beat Heathen, replacing Hiram for about 6 weeks while he took a little hiatus from the band... Used to jam with them a lot back in the day... (Since you appear to be a Tampa Bay area person, my late father owned the legendary Big Apple Bistro on Central...)
    Cheers,
    Phil
    www.philtraynor.com

Thanks Phil.

I'm a sunbird. (It just works out that I pick the hottest months of the year to travel to Florida from Michigan, so snowbird doesn't fit.) Hmmm, Icarus comes to mind...

I make it a habit to cross paths with TrueFire people when I'm the Clearwater/St. Pete area, and got to hear Red & Hiram & Calvin & I don't know the keyboard guy at Gulfport on the Rocks in June.

I suggest Les Claypool of Primus. Mad genius, and they have just released a new album after 11 years.
    Last edited by Habbakuk; 09-18-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    I'm a proud percussive finger-stylist. My Website: Replica Watches

Default Edo Castro

An old acquaintance from Chicago mid-80's...found him again on Facebook

http://www.edocastro.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/edo801#g/u

The minor blues practicing is my favorite...but that's where I am..

He only had 5 strings back then...seems to have grown a few....
    Last edited by murrayatuptown; 09-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks for the list "ashmail" it helped a bit
    No Spam