Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Sherpa Video

Red face New Vids!!!

@ Goerman
    Awesome rendering of that Doobie Bros tune. Really good guitar work. I love the wall decor with those other lovely guitars just waiting to be played! Very good!

@RichB2
    It may not be exciting to some, but my friend, I have a deep appreciation for getting such a series of lines or chords or chordlettes (whatever they are..I have not gone that far in Fareed's course yet) recorded in the correct time. My timing is killing me, but you are focused on getting it right and you are doing very well.

Bravo to you both!!!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Arrow

G-Man and Rich Very cool vids...

G-man Love the EJ Strat and the playing was cool too..I likes the Chordal Stuff of the second part ,Was that something you made up or something else..

Rich nicely played and very good stuff to know , all over the fret board..I was very curious about her class..please keep us updated..

Rock on Guys or however you roll..

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

Out of the way, it's a busy day
    I've got things on my mind.

Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread...ot-Study-Group

Everybody sounds good!

What are all the toys behind you, Goerman?

Quote Originally Posted by torr71 View Post

G-man Love the EJ Strat and the playing was cool too..I likes the Chordal Stuff of the second part ,Was that something you made up or something else..

Torr, that was my take on Randy Bachman's Looking Out For Number 1 from his BTO days, its a neat progression in A (pretty much a descending diatonic harmony). I have always been a fan of Bachman's (we were actually neighbours at a point). He grew up with Lenny Breau and was influenced by Lenny's jazz. This was one of his earlier compositions that built on his buddies influence. Here's alive version, the tune is made for taking off with your improv. Toward the end of the song the tempo picks up and kicks into 3/4 time which makes for a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod123 View Post
    Everybody sounds good!

What are all the toys behind you, Goerman?
    Hey Zaphod, guitars and such. Let see, left to right (on the floor and mostly behind me) there's a 335, Gretsch Duo Jet and a banjo, then a 70's LP Custom, a Reverend Pete Anderson and a Taylor acoustic. In the amp department the first stack is a Victoria 105 on top of an OLD Bandmaster head, underneath the Bandmaster head a Vox 2 x 12 cab with blue celestions which I use with the Victoria) and then the Bandmaster cab. To the right of that my Boogie Mk V on top of my Boogie Lonestar Special. Then on the wall l - r there's an Epiphone Joe Pass that I somewhat hot rodded, a Gibson Custom Shop 339 an Epiphone Custom Shop Elite Byrdland, a Gretsch Anniversary 6118, and a Tele American deluxe (with Lace Sensors).

I am going to do a little "studio tour vid" for the Sherpa classroom and can post here as well.

The tour vid would be cool. I don't feel so bad about having 10 guitars now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Goerman View Post

I am going to do a little "studio tour vid" for the Sherpa classroom and can post here as well.

Wink

Hi Jestme, I enjoyed your video.Your playing is good with those fingers playing two parts at once at times.Bravo.I hope to enter in that field of play some time soon.Living in Melbourne Australia I remember bumping into and talking to Tommy Emmanuel a handful of times at a local music shop many years ago.I can still picture him picking up a cheap nasty guitar playing into a little rubbish amp and yet Tommy sounded amazing.Keep up the good work Jestme.

Red face Ok, homework time.

I submitted my "homework" video for my 1st Lesson Plan today. It will not be posted here, but it is a learning experience to do these videos. Gives you a taste of what the instructors must experience when making a course for us. It AIN'T easy! It is fun, but it ain't easy.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cargocargo View Post
    Hi Jestme, I enjoyed your video.Your playing is good with those fingers playing two parts at once at times.Bravo.I hope to enter in that field of play some time soon.Living in Melbourne Australia I remember bumping into and talking to Tommy Emmanuel a handful of times at a local music shop many years ago.I can still picture him picking up a cheap nasty guitar playing into a little rubbish amp and yet Tommy sounded amazing.Keep up the good work Jestme.
    Cargo

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad that you found us. We are a great bunch of folks ;^) Thanks very much for the nice words regarding my video.!!! It always feels good if someone enjoys your playing. Thank you. Tommy is an incredible player and entertainer. He is just about always up and energized. No doubt it was really enjoyable bumping into him in a local music shop.

BTW I think it is safe to say ... Tommy has a TF course in the works. So keep your eyes peeled for it. It is going to be awesome.

Are you currently playing... just starting out... what kind of stuff are you doing?

Take care.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Hi Chris thanks for the reply.Iv' been playing for 21 years on and off but had a gap of five years not playing at all.Started when I was 14 years old.Played in hard rock cover bands etc in my twenties.Now at the age of 41, I have passed that era and have been studying alot of theory,in particular jazz.I wish i did more deeper theory when I was younger.Better late than never Haven't done any gigs for 9 years but am happy doing recordings at home along side practicing and studying.Speak soon.
    Cheers Greg

Blog Entries

Greg

Your story sounds familiar. Many of us, including me, took a break from our playing, at one time, due to family raising or other reasons and started playing again.

I'm sure you will enjoy TF and the forum. It's a great community, I'm glad you joined in.

Best of luck with your theory and playing goals.
    Stay tuned

Chris

That was cool the way you incorporated the 50 shred licks into it. The tone was also cool. Kinda rockabilly/surf with shred. Shredabilly?
    Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    Hi Mike, you said
    So I am guessing it will be ok to put one here that I sent to Jeff Beasley. I put it in another thread or two that not many people check any more so maybe I can get a peer assessment in this one. It was actually supposed to be something I did with some of the licks I had gleaned from the 50 Shred Licks class, but I botched some of it so badly with my timing and such that I call it the Shifty Fred Knicks. Everytime I started to record this, I could not get past the first lick without my timing going into the toilet. I finally gave up and this is the end result.

Your laptop picked up the sound nicely. Sounded good!
    Nice tone on the acoustic. Were you using nails, fingertips or both?

Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    I thought I would start a thread for us to post our Sherpa videos. I posted mine to youtube but I set it for Unlisted so only those I give the link to can view my video. I'm not ready for Primetime yet!

I edited this video by removing all the dialogue I had for Vicki. It's just my playing. The song is something that I have recorded before...but it always seems to change...sometimes evolving...other times digressing . I have not picked up an acoustic in months & I have only just begun somewhat regular practices about 10 days ago. I made a few mistakes & my webcam is terrible (built into my laptop) but it's all I got for now...

Any other brave souls want to put it all out there?

Wink Thanks, Zaphod

Zaphod said,
    That was cool the way you incorporated the 50 shred licks into it. The tone was also cool. Kinda rockabilly/surf with shred. Shredabilly?
    I think you may have coined a new term. Shredabilly! Love it!

I will start looking for music by Brian Dick Malmsteen or Yngwie Dale Setzer just to be sure it is original.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod123 View Post
    Your laptop picked up the sound nicely. Sounded good!
    Nice tone on the acoustic. Were you using nails, fingertips or both?
    Thanks! I did use my Fast Track Pro to input the audio. I have some nail on my picking hand but it was a combination of flesh & nail...the acoustic is a Washburn D-121S-NA...I picked that guitar up about 4 years ago for like $80 shipped on eBay. I have a Seagull Mini Jumbo that I paid $325 for (I traded in another guitar at Guitar Center & only paid $200 Cash for it) and yet I always go to the Washburn. The tone is woody & crisp. The Seagull has a cedar top so it is brighter & good for solo work...
    My Course Blogs:

I am not sure if I like Brian Dick Malmsteen or Yngwie Dale Setzer better.

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    Zaphod said,

I think you may have coined a new term. Shredabilly! Love it!

I will start looking for music by Brian Dick Malmsteen or Yngwie Dale Setzer just to be sure it is original.

Wow! That guitar sounds like it costs more than $80. It must be the fingers producing the tone!

Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    Thanks! I did use my Fast Track Pro to input the audio. I have some nail on my picking hand but it was a combination of flesh & nail...the acoustic is a Washburn D-121S-NA...I picked that guitar up about 4 years ago for like $80 shipped on eBay. I have a Seagull Mini Jumbo that I paid $325 for (I traded in another guitar at Guitar Center & only paid $200 Cash for it) and yet I always go to the Washburn. The tone is woody & crisp. The Seagull has a cedar top so it is brighter & good for solo work...

Blog Entries

Here is my latest video lesson for my lessons with Sheryl Bailey. Let me knwo what you guys think?

Last edited by richb2; 07-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    now trying to break 1900.

Seriously,

these contributions are the ultimate evidence that true fire actually works. So many different players and so many different styles, approaches and sounds. Thanks for sharing everyone!

The guitar is such a great (but extremely hard to tame) instrument. Unknown saying: "The guitar is the easiest instrument to play, but the hardest to master."

Rich: Did you ever try to play in the dark? (No joke) This is a "trick" a jazzmaster once told me.... He used to play A LOT in the dark just to concentrate on the sounds and moods and forget about the scales. Imo it's a VERY useful experience.
    Last edited by concerto; 07-24-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Great work there Rich. This is how I imagined the Sherpa Classroom to work for someone who is advanced. And you do well in front of the camera too. I think everyone has done well in front of the camera after they've gotten a bit used to it.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

advanced? Hey Gadlaw, you are way too kind. A year ago, this month, I was put into the beginners class at Roni Ben Hur's ensemble class in Bar Harbor.

Nice job Rich... sounds good buddy.
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Red face Sweet!

Rich, I liked what you did. I am not familiar with the tune, but it certain sounded like good jazz guitar to me. Good work, man! Keep it going and we will be calling you the Joe Pass of the forum.

Arrow

Very Good Stuff Rich ...I also really liked how good of a job you did with the backing track...Thanks for running around naked for all of us to see

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

Playing sounds good. Nice clarity in the video. Are you using a C910 webcam?

Quote Originally Posted by richb2 View Post
    Here is my latest video lesson for my lessons with Sheryl Bailey. Let me knwo what you guys think?

I feel like I play in the dark a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by concerto View Post

Rich: Did you ever try to play in the dark? (No joke) This is a "trick" a jazzmaster once told me.... He used to play A LOT in the dark just to concentrate on the sounds and moods and forget about the scales. Imo it's a VERY useful experience.

Blog Entries

One time at a workshop, I think it was Chris Proctor, we were each asked to play a piece, after my piece a fellow student commented that he could actually hear the difference at the point where I closed my eyes while playing my piece.
    Stay tuned

Chris

When the guy told me the first time about this approach I thought: "Man, you are crazy..."
    But after a while I realized the huge advantages. It makes you feel save and comfortable if you are able to hit the right notes without watching every step on the fretboard (often band stages are VERY dark). And it helps to trust your sub consciousness, disengage from scales patterns and arps.
    Furthermore it is probably the best ear training. Of course this approach is primarily helpful for improvising.
    For singer/songwriters it is the only way to go.

Red face Get ready for a laugh

I may be able to strike some burning licks every now and then (ok, so they are very rare, but I have my moments), but I still can not count aloud and play at the same time. Perhaps I should have posted this one in the "Totally just for laughs" thread, but it is a part of my last homework lesson from the Sherpa class.

This is what really goes on inside the Shred Warehouse for those of us who are still learning to count to four and get our rhythms to sound properly.

I told you that it is not all about shred guitar, but rather just about playing well altogether. If you need remedial rhythm training, it is here. If you need to learn your CAGED forms, it is here. If you need to learn all the notes on the fretboard, it is here. No matter how basic or how advanced you want to go, this Sherpa class seems to have it all. And notice that you don't have to get all dress up to go to class even if I did wear my formal T-shirt to make this vid.

Smile

Great work there Wvgman !!

What you showed us now is just what practising guitar is all about. Practise!!!
    All these drills are mostly boring to do, but one got to do them. It is good that you show us the real hard work that we all got to go through.

Keep on counting, wvgman !!!!

Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Blog Entries

Well done my good man. Not an easy task. I know I would have great difficulty with it... 3 kinds of people LOL
    Stay tuned

Chris

Blog Entries

Hey WV. I think you are doing quite well on this vid. I know how hard it is to count and play at the same time. I found when I counted out loud, i couldn't do it. With Bailey I am working with the metronome and I started initially with the clicks on 2 and 4. Then I interjected 1 and 3 in there. I must have done 100 attempts before I got something which is not perfect but is passible. Rythym sure is frustrating! I think that you are doing it quite well.

Arrow

Thought I'd post an update..seems like some similar things going on ..
    Jeff Scheetz opened up the "Student Jam" Virtual stage and put up a jam track for us to put some Mojo over..been a great response and very cool to see and hear the other Cats...

On a side note this Sherpa thing has Kick my tail...in a good way too

Red face Ah yes!

Well, Dr. Torr, you sure are sounding good for an old sore tailed rascal! (I figured getting kicked there would make you sore-Torr). I need help, don't I?

Rock on, brother, rock on!!!!

I'm glad all of you are having an enjoyable positive experience with Sherpa...Good luck to all of you!
    My Course Blogs:

Blog Entries

Here is my latest for Bailey. I am working on Scrapple from the Apple.

Err.. Rich the video is private.. I can't watch it. :(
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Red face Hi Rich

Sorry, but I could not get your last vid, Scrapple for the Apple, to open for me here or on You-Tube.

Blog Entries

OK. All fixed. Try it now.

Red face Ah yes!

Very Nice!!!! I thought I was listening to something from one of the Hot Club cds and I could tell you let that old blues devil loose somewhere around the 2.28 marker. SOunding great, my friend. Keep it jazzin!!!

Blog Entries

Thanks. I am glad you recognized the blues. My feeling is that I can only play with feeling when playing "da blues" and there is no reason to play, if it is without feeling. My goal is to mix it. I hope that Bailey is not too pissed off that I am sticking with my background. She hasn't seen this yet.

Smile

Nice playing Rich !!!

Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Sounds great!

I know what you mean about getting your tail kicked. I have never practiced this much this consistently in my life... My practice before was not very focused at all.

Quote Originally Posted by torr71 View Post
    Thought I'd post an update..seems like some similar things going on ..
    Jeff Scheetz opened up the "Student Jam" Virtual stage and put up a jam track for us to put some Mojo over..been a great response and very cool to see and hear the other Cats...

On a side note this Sherpa thing has Kick my tail...in a good way too

Sounds great! Kind of Django-esque, if that is a word..
    Quote Originally Posted by richb2 View Post
    Here is my latest for Bailey. I am working on Scrapple from the Apple.

Arrow

Very Good Rich..!

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. The problem is I don't even like Django. Bailey said that same thing. I think that is due to practicing without an amp. When I play with the ensemble, I keep the volume low when comping, and when soloing the volume is always too low so I play extra hard. bottom line: I don't play that way by choice. Maybe it is the fast vibrato that adds to that characterization?

Mike and Chris...excellent videos! and finally I'm glad to meet you both

Blog Entries

Default Softly as a Morning Sunrise

Blog Entries

Default Softly as a Morning Sunrise

Here I am following Sheryl Bailey's Harmonic Minor class. In between heads, I am playing the jazz minor scale and then the arpeggios over the chords.