Blog Entries

Default Guitar Squid - Guitar Critique Guide

I hate being in a bar with some one talking trash like this but it happens all the time. I think they nailed it in this handy-dandy little chart.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Thumbs down Uh oh!

I can't see the chart, Wolfboy. It looks like a sunken box with an "X" in it.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

You got this from TGP didn't you!! I saw the post over there & meant to read it but forgot! Great post!
    My Course Blogs:

Blog Entries

I got it from Guitar Squids site. That is a cool place to visit!

I see the image just fine still?

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Lightbulb deja vu

lol

So sad that I've actually heard most of these said seriously about a player at one time or another. I guess that's what makes them so funny, too.
    Thankfully, I've only said one or two of these (or some variation) like, "Nobody listens to that crap!"
    ...and hopefully, only a few have been said 'bout me!!!

esh.

Red face Now I see it.

Almost wish I didn't, but I do see the chart now. Yeah, I hate listening to this kind of derogatory criticism too. Some folks just like to whine and complain about everything. Interestingly enough, it often seems like the ones with the least amount of credentials seem to think of themselves as the best critics. I was watching a show on the food network and they had a guy whose only qualification was that he acted as a "food critic" for some magazine.
    This guy was "judging" the dishes prepared by three or four experienced chefs who had training, experience, skills, and the brass to enter a timed competition. Sorry, I got no respect for his opinion since he lacks all of the qualities possessed by the people busting their backsides and making a living with their skills. Only when you can demonstrate an ability to do what they do, better than they can do it, will you earn the right to proffer a valid criticism.
    I know that the skill and the ability to assess the skill are technically different, but honestly I just can't bring myself to have any respect for such a critic. I have known far too many of them in my short life time and life is too short to spend it listening to whiners. I know we all like to give our two cents worth from time to time, but I pray that I am never characterized by a spirit of negative criticism.
    Or at least one that is any more negative than what I have offered here.
    Last edited by wvgman; 06-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    Almost wish I didn't, but I do see the chart now. Yeah, I hate listening to this kind of derogatory criticism too. Some folks just like to whine and complain about everything. Interestingly enough, it often seems like the ones with the least amount of credentials seem to think of themselves as the best critics.
    You want to hear whining & complaining? Come to my work! The teachers I work with are the biggest babies!!! I take this list as humor. Being a bodybuilder I've heard so many of the "jokes" or "comments" associated with our sport...I see it this way...the people that say them are talentless, jealous, and could never achieve what we have...it's the same with musicians...BUT we also have to have a sense of humor about it too
    My Course Blogs:

Red face Sense of humor?

Mike, I understand that the thread is based upon a chart of criticisms that are offered as a joke and I have no problem with that. I too have a sense of humor.

What I am saying is that the most unqualified jerks in the room usually are the biggest critics. I have had my fair share of a workplace environment that I called "the world's largest adult day care facility" because of all the whining, complaining, and criticizing that was present there. You better have a sense of humor about it or you will be the one in the photograph who is wearing handcuffs beneath a headline of "Worker Snaps over Whining."

It takes a decent amount of skill to make a little music and no talent at all to criticize. That is all I am really saying and yes, some people do live to complain. They are known by their negative outlook on everything and they are quick to express it. I just think there is enough negative stuff in the world and I really would rather focus on the positive things for several reasons.

Complaining about complainers: isn't that like fighting for peace?
    Last edited by wvgman; 06-13-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    Almost wish I didn't, but I do see the chart now. Yeah, I hate listening to this kind of derogatory criticism too. Some folks just like to whine and complain about everything. Interestingly enough, it often seems like the ones with the least amount of credentials seem to think of themselves as the best critics. I was watching a show on the food network and they had a guy whose only qualification was that he acted as a "food critic" for some magazine.
    This guy was "judging" the dishes prepared by three or four experienced chefs who had training, experience, skills, and the brass to enter a timed competition. Sorry, I got no respect for his opinion since he lacks all of the qualities possessed by the people busting their backsides and making a living with their skills.
    Only when you can demonstrate an ability to do what they do, better than they can do it, will you earn the right to proffer a valid criticism.
    I know that the skill and the ability to assess the skill are technically different, but honestly I just can't bring myself to have any respect for such a critic. I have known far too many of them in my short life time and life is too short to spend it listening to whiners. I know we all like to give our two cents worth from time to time, but I pray that I am never characterized by a spirit of negative criticism.
    Or at least one that is any more negative than what I have offered here.
    Ah, one of my biggest pet peeves are any of those contest shows. I hardly watch the Food Network anymore because of this garbage. I want to see Giada showing me how to cook something nice, Alton Brown explaining how to make fluffy or flat cookies. Douchrellas out there pretentiously sayings someone's dish is crap - can't begin to watch it. Same goes for any of the so called reality shows. People acting like they are somehow more insightful or wise than others whether it's food or those fashion shows - Seals wife is a real pretentious nozzle, or talent shows or any of them. The stuff I was watching the other day was from the Science Channel and Discovery channel and Nat Geo - when they are doing Oceanography, Astronomy, Physics, Nature..... Good times.

Having said that John Mayer is a douche - that's a scientific fact, and I'm guessing Reba was the redhead. I know LeBron who Nike tells me is the best basketball player ever is a big nozzle waving one. As for the types of music - all a matter of personal taste.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

While the chart was written as a joke and it is funny (except for the one about classical players ), there are guys out there who really do talk like that and will find something bad to say about any other player.

It's ego. One gets a momentary boost of happiness by making themselves feel better while criticizing others. And worse, they think it makes them sound cool. Not a good character trait. And especially not a good character trait in a musician. Can't let 'em get to ya. It's their own trip.

In the words of a 20th century philosopher (who shall go unnamed): "Can't we all just get along?"
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Blog Entries

I'm with you on the classical one there Herby. When I first went to college I was in an all guys dorm at Florida State (Broward Hall) and it was connected to an all girls dorm (Gilchrist Hall). At that time Florida State was 3 to 1 girls to guys since it was formerly Florida State University for Women. Anyway..... I used to go over and practice (troll) classical guitar in the lobby at the girls dorm and I find Mr. Squidworth's statement to be highly inaccurate

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    I'm with you on the classical one there Herby. When I first went to college I was in an all guys dorm at Florida State (Broward Hall) and it was connected to an all girls dorm (Gilchrist Hall). At that time Florida State was 3 to 1 girls to guys since it was formerly Florida State University for Women. Anyway..... I used to go over and practice (troll) classical guitar in the lobby at the girls dorm and I find Mr. Squidworth's statement to be highly inaccurate
    Ever the gentleman, Wolfboy leaves the details to the imagination....

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch