Blog Entries

Default The hunt for a cheap bass is over

For the last month I've been selling odd bits on ebay and stalkin' a bass, mostly to use in the recordings but also having played a bass in the past I missed not having one. I was looking for a jazz bass copy that I could tweak around if need be cos a like a bit of a tinker I'm sure it's legal
    I was pretty certain I could pick something up off ebay quite cheap, when you get really looking it's amazing how people just put something on with no real details, bourght this but never played it kinda thing. Anyway yadda came across this and took a chance, 20 miles from home with no shipping to worry about a 5 string allegedly put together by a luthier needs a clean and a few tweaks for less than a 100 dollars. Should keep me out of mischief for a while, better get over to Bass Basics and get my chops back up to speed
    http://truefire.com/bass-guitar-lessons/bass-basics/

I know deltadude,wvgman and WB1 have a bass but who else we got out there with the low frequencies maybe we should get a little bass corner going

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Unhappy Wowsers!

That is one beauty of a five string, Dr. Funkenstein! You can be laying down some serious James Jamerson thump now especially with that extra low B string getting you deeper than you ever been before. You made to have a decompression chamber nearby after you first play it in case you get the bends or something after you go down too far and come up too fast!

Enjoy! Really, ENJOY!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Had to stop practiceing starting to get blisters on the R/H I-M fingers

Cleaned the body and fretboard, sounds a treat through headphones, jack socket needs a minor tweak the A string nut slot might need some minor adjusting. Hooked on bass again-official.Think I found a bargain.

Stu Hamm's Bass Basics get y'rolling most excellent surprised how much technique is coming back to me after a loooong time.

H

Enjoy H!!

On holidays at the min so will spend the next week grooving, might pick up a bass amp...

Blog Entries

Very nice, looks like it is way more than $100.00....you got an amp?
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Looks like an awesome bass hutch! I know Brad C. said all guitarists should own one. Enjoy the low-end!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    Very nice, looks like it is way more than $100.00....you got an amp?
    Not planing on getting an amp as yet unless a nifty practice amp pops up on ebay. Seems I'm a headphone player these days must be a year since I played through an amp. S'funny the guy asked "Are you sure you really want it" think he realised he'd put in on way to cheap. Ebay can work for you sometimes. Going to do some more excercises today build up some calluses and strength in the ol' fingers.

deltadude are you getting an amp to gig?

jcc go get a bass dude

H

No gigging H, I play it thru my laptop speakers via Stealth Plug but it feels odd.

I saw a 60w Fender Rumble for $275 in a cash convertors.

I might buy the amp or I might save the cash.

Default dont leave me out of the bottom feeder list

I am a bassist first i only own one bass however a Genesis modulus Q5
    I am pretty set for tone with this bass the only other bass I would consider is a pedulla mvp

your bass looks great hutch
    is that an ibanez? ibanez make great basses
    hundred dollars wow great deal.
    Last edited by diverse379; 03-12-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diverse379 View Post
    I am a bassist first i only own one bass however a Genesis modulus Q5
    I am pretty set for tone with this bass the only other bass I would consider is a pedulla mvp

your bass looks great hutch
    is that an ibanez? ibanez make great basses
    hundred dollars wow great deal.
    I checked out your Q5 when you put up the pics diverse one looks awesome if I win the lottery tonight I'll be checking them out. I used to have a Fender Jazz bass back in the 80's and played with a few pop covers bands doing the slap thang that was popular then. So I have a thread of bass in the DNA LOL and with recording lately I've wanted to use a bass but hadn't got one. I won't buy expensive instruments anymore, a plank with a good set up works fine.

I thought it looks a bit Ibanez-y I suspect it's made from Korean made parts but it's put together well, with an solid Alder/ish body. A luthier guy I've got to know is coming around this afternoon to have a look at it for me I suspect the nut may need a tweak. Building some strength up in the fingers today got any recommends for a book you must know nothing to Jaco though

H

Unhappy Boom-boom, Boom-boom!

Sir Hutch! Don't forget Stu's other course, Fretboard Fitness.
    http://truefire.com/bass-guitar-less...board-fitness/

A great bass player can almost make-up for a crappy lead player! Almost.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    Sir Hutch! Don't forget Stu's other course, Fretboard Fitness.
    http://truefire.com/bass-guitar-less...board-fitness/

A great bass player can almost make-up for a crappy lead player! Almost.
    Checked out Fretboard Fitness and went Woah!! got to find some extra muscle for that one getting through half way on BassBasic's pretty well Stu's a good teacher, but could do with some let's do this slowly stuff then hit 120bpm. Enjoying the course though.

What do you work on with your bass wvgman I know you fish it out the collection from time to time

H

Unhappy You may think I am crazy....

and you are probably right! I checked my practice diary for the exact date, but apparently I failed to write it in there or I just can't find it. About a week ago, I got out my bass and practiced a few of the licks I had learned from the 50 Shred Licks course: I think it was the Four and Six, Big P Gilbert, and some of the arps (not sweeping them though) then I worked on Lick #14 of Chris Buono-bi One's 50 Rock Licks.

I obviously modified the speed and some of the ways I had played these on guitar and used them because they are really great scale ideas that have so much melody in them.

Of course if I am actually playing bass with a group, I would not play as much melody as I would focus on the groove, but I do like to work on my understanding and my dexterity with things like the above licks and it depends on the tune too.

I also like to experiment using the root and third, or third and fifth, or first and sixth, and just see what happens. I am like a kid in a candy store. I guess that is part of being blissfully ignorant; I can rejoice when I learn even the smallest thing!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    I also like to experiment using the root and third, or third and fifth, or first and sixth, and just see what happens. I am like a kid in a candy store. I guess that is part of being blissfully ignorant; I can rejoice when I learn even the smallest thing!
    I can dig that last bit a lot and cool thinkin' on the rock licks and slowing them down for bass, I'll save that to memory, I'm sure there is a bit of room left LOL. Funny how I can't hear the low B, when it's not plugged in, but the dog next door barks

H

I missed where we were searching for cheap Basses. Or is it Bass's - ah whatever. But at least with a Bass you can get the Funk out. Get working on that slap Bass technique and go all Parliament and Bootsy Collins on it.
    Actually I found a guitar store out here that has a Dobro and Resonator selection for good prices. Haven't even looked at the wall of Bass Guitar's.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    I missed where we were searching for cheap Basses. Or is it Bass's - ah whatever. But at least with a Bass you can get the Funk out. Get working on that slap Bass technique and go all Parliament and Bootsy Collins on it.
    Actually I found a guitar store out here that has a Dobro and Resonator selection for good prices. Haven't even looked at the wall of Bass Guitar's.
    LOL we all need bass-i, first go get a bass then we'll look at those tin things with speakers mind you SWMBO keeps looking at the bass with that mmm face LOL don't think I can get any more by her for a while.

H

Default I'm A Closet Bass Player Too

Hutch-Include me in the group. I have a very nice old Fender Precision. It's an older used instrument that I got for a very nice price. I need to check its vintage, but it's definitely from the 60's-70's. The neck is as true as an arrow. When you see that in an older instrument, you know you have a gem.

One tip I'll pass on about Fender basses-I've found the older ones have a 4 screw neck attachment plate, whereas the "newer" ones have a 3 screw attachment plate. When I shopped for a nice used bass (back in the late 80's) I found that Fenders with 4 screw neck plates seemed to have much truer necks.

Wanted to throw my hat in the ring this and share my observations about older fenders. I too, was originally looking for an older Jazz Bass, but the Precision was just too good an instrument at too good a price to pass up. I need to get it out of the case and give it some love.

One of my favorite tunes to play along with on bass is The Peter Green Splinter Group's version of "Goin' Down". It's a 2-fer. Not only to you hear Peter's masterful use of pushing and lagging the beat in his soloing, you get a wide-open canvas to kick rockin' blues bass butt on. Check it out, I haven't run across a version anywhere yet to share with you, but if and when I do, I will be sure to post it.

Dave
    "Life's too short to play with dead strings"

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch82 View Post
    LOL we all need bass-i, first go get a bass then we'll look at those tin things with speakers mind you SWMBO keeps looking at the bass with that mmm face LOL don't think I can get any more by her for a while.

H
    Looks like you need to be working on the 'washing dishes without being asked' detail - you know, so you don't let her build any deep reserves of anger toward your guitar and bass collection. The life you save may be your own!
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    Looks like you need to be working on the 'washing dishes without being asked' detail - you know, so you don't let her build any deep reserves of anger toward your guitar and bass collection. The life you save may be your own!
    Washing dishes is in my job specs anyway LOL it's just the stable has grown again that she has issues with only mild ones thankfully.

H

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by olshepp View Post
    Hutch-Include me in the group. I have a very nice old Fender Precision. It's an older used instrument that I got for a very nice price. I need to check its vintage, but it's definitely from the 60's-70's. The neck is as true as an arrow. When you see that in an older instrument, you know you have a gem.

One tip I'll pass on about Fender basses-I've found the older ones have a 4 screw neck attachment plate, whereas the "newer" ones have a 3 screw attachment plate. When I shopped for a nice used bass (back in the late 80's) I found that Fenders with 4 screw neck plates seemed to have much truer necks.

Wanted to throw my hat in the ring this and share my observations about older fenders. I too, was originally looking for an older Jazz Bass, but the Precision was just too good an instrument at too good a price to pass up. I need to get it out of the case and give it some love.

One of my favorite tunes to play along with on bass is The Peter Green Splinter Group's version of "Goin' Down". It's a 2-fer. Not only to you hear Peter's masterful use of pushing and lagging the beat in his soloing, you get a wide-open canvas to kick rockin' blues bass butt on. Check it out, I haven't run across a version anywhere yet to share with you, but if and when I do, I will be sure to post it.

Dave
    "Life's too short to play with dead strings"
    Dave you'll have to get the Precision out and put a pic up for us to have a look at I'm definately sure you couldn't buy it for a nice price again certainly not in Europe.

I think you'll like next weeks Funk on Friday some toons you will like I hope.

H

Blog Entries

The cheap bass is now set up, picked it up from my luthier friend tonight and now it feels alive. The nut was shimmed and recut, truss rod tweaked, intonation, close enough. And a bit of rewiring, he wasn't happy with the earthing and the jack plug was loose. Down to business now and get some practicing done get the bass muscles worked out. I'll get back on board with Bass Basics tomorrow.

H

Default Bizarre Coincidence...........

This is quite strange. I had no knowledge of this thread, I was aware that Generaladm was a bass player but little did I know there were all of these bass enthusiasts out there in TF land! Just this weekend I picked up this baby...(mine is black with a white pick guard)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smile

Well, I too have a cheap bass. OLP MM2, 4 string. It looks like the one on the picture, only it is 4 strings.
    Rarely used.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by larro; 03-16-2011 at 05:06 AM.
    Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larro View Post
    Well, I too have a cheap bass. OLP MM2, 4 string. It looks like the one on the oicture, only it is 4 strings.
    Rarely used.

Cheap basses rule larro unless you have an expensive one of course maybe we can get you using it more often, go on get it out the case and put it in the living room so it's staring at you

H

Smile

It dosent have a case. It's hanging on one of my guitar-stands.
    And I do have the "BASS BASICS" course. I even started on it and was half way through before something else caught my interest. Maybe I will start once more on that course.

Larro

Blog Entries

It dosent have a case. It's hanging on one of my guitar-stands.
    And I do have the "BASS BASICS" course. I even started on it and was half way through before something else caught my interest. Maybe I will start once more on that course.

We could do a joint blog if you like and drop it in the Lost In Bass thread, keep us motivated

H

Smile

That could have been fun, but I have too much guitarplaying to do to commit to do a blog at the moment. You see the Big Band that I am playing with is now starting to rehearse a lot of new material for our trip to Italy in the summer. First weekend in July. Tree conserts. That is my number one priority the next months. But perhaps when the authum comes we could try this. But if someone else will start earlier together with you, it is fine with me.

Your idea of beeing two people doing a blog sounds very good. The whole prosess will bee easier when you are two people that will post.

Larro

Blog Entries

That could have been fun, but I have too much guitarplaying to do to commit to do a blog at the moment. You see the Big Band that I am playing with is now starting to rehearse a lot of new material for our trip to Italy in the summer. First weekend in July. Tree conserts. That is my number one priority the next months. But perhaps when the authum comes we could try this. But if someone else will start earlier together with you, it is fine with me.

Your idea of beeing two people doing a blog sounds very good. The whole prosess will bee easier when you are two people that will post.

I remember you telling us about your Big Band project larro sounds great and completely understand about the commitment. I just want to get my bass technique up to speed to record and be in time and get a groove going. Good luck for the Summer gigs tell us more near the time, Italy sounds brilliant, still need to go to Italy.

H

Unhappy More every day

Sir Hutch,
    It looks like you have stirred up the nest and a lot of us "B"s are buzzing about. I see now that leedelta, WB1, diverse379, olshepp, Goerman, and Larro are also part of all our friends in LOW Places! (Nice P bass there, goerman. The pic larro has is too small for these old eyes to see it well, but from what I can tell it looks cool too. I am not good with photo sizes here.)

This is good! The similarities and the differences in the guitar and the bass guitar all work together to better the player who chooses either instrument as their first love.

I wonder if flathead is a secret bass player too: you know he has that great quote by Victor Wooten in his signature: "You should never lose the groove to find a note." .

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch82 View Post
    I checked out your Q5 when you put up the pics diverse one looks awesome if I win the lottery tonight I'll be checking them out. I used to have a Fender Jazz bass back in the 80's and played with a few pop covers bands doing the slap thang that was popular then. So I have a thread of bass in the DNA LOL and with recording lately I've wanted to use a bass but hadn't got one. I won't buy expensive instruments anymore, a plank with a good set up works fine.

I thought it looks a bit Ibanez-y I suspect it's made from Korean made parts but it's put together well, with an solid Alder/ish body. A luthier guy I've got to know is coming around this afternoon to have a look at it for me I suspect the nut may need a tweak. Building some strength up in the fingers today got any recommends for a book you must know nothing to Jaco though

H
    sorry it took so long I have been back in organ keys mode duty calls you know?

to answer your question

the two books that I found most helpful in my bass journey was rufus reids evolving bassist.
    and daily bass grooves.

rufus reid broke the bass down and back up again
    the story goes he was in a slump and wrote the exercises in this book to get him out of the slump.

jut the rhythm etude alone is worth the money.
    it will get you grooving with any drummer.

second book.
    daily bass grooves just gets you reading and grooving in some pretty challenging grooves one each day for a year.
    365 two measure bass lines in every genre imaginable.

so if getting into how to build bass lines with correct groove and developing your soul to think like a basssist get rufus reids book.
    it is very etheral meaning you dont have to think too much just play the exercises and it will happen

I was playing professionally after only working with this book for 3 months.

daily bass grooves
    just really gives your fingers a work out and gives you great grooves to try out with your band.
    happy bass day hutch.
    Last edited by diverse379; 03-17-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips on Rufus Reid diverse one that sounds just what I'm looking for, really want to try and get the Bass Head going this time around. I've got the Lost In Bass thread rolling would be great if you drop in and give your bass perspective...cool

H

Red face more books

One of my favorite verses of Scripture.
    Ecclesiastes 12:12: "And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh."

Ain't it the truth. Now it looks like the library must expand. I wish I could just get stuff out of the books and into my head. Oh, I guess that what reading is supposed to do! There goes the "much study is a weariness of the flesh" thing.

It's all good, so "Play skillfully and with a loud noise!" (Ps 33:3b)!

Default Boom the Bass

Hi guys...I really love the bass also.I have a Squier 70's Vintage Modified Jass..really nice playing bass and reasonably affordable.Also an Ibanez exotic wood acoustic electric bass.It is also a lot of fun to play.Great to see some low end interest on the Fire!!!!