Thread: Blues Scales

Cool Blues Scales

A chart that is good for reviewing your Blues Scales of for getting them in your head for the first time. These are the Five Pentatonic Scale Patterns with one pattern on each Fretboard. Each 'Red' Note is the root note on different strings and frets. Each 'Blue' Note is the 'Blue Note' of the scale. The 'Blue Notes' are the #4 or b5 of these Minor Pentatonic Scales. The Minor Pentatonic Scale Formulas - R (root), b3, 4, 5, b7 - The Blue note is the #4 or b5.
    I find it useful to go through the patterns that I have memorized, adding the blue notes and connecting the patterns with the blue notes as I noodle around. Another exercise to help put those notes and patterns in your head.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Red face Nice Chart, Dr G!

I like the chart, Dr. G. It is almost identical to one I found some place on line, the big difference being they simply switch patterns 4 and pattern 5. If you don't mind, I am going to save a copy in my own Neck Diagrams collection and title it Gadlaw's Blues Scales. (Regarding another thread, I hope you liked the MS Paint things. )
    Last edited by wvgman; 01-02-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Nice chart Gadlaw. It is easy to read.

Another thing I find useful with the Pentatonic scale is for me to learn where the Root, Fourth and Fifth are. I like to know where the Fourth and Fifth are because lots of blues songs follow 1-4-5 progressions. If I know where the Fourth and Fifth are then I can play those notes as the chord changes happen and it will sound like I know what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by beboy View Post
    Nice chart Gadlaw. It is easy to read.

Another thing I find useful with the Pentatonic scale is for me to learn where the Root, Fourth and Fifth are. I like to know where the Fourth and Fifth are because lots of blues songs follow 1-4-5 progressions. If I know where the Fourth and Fifth are then I can play those notes as the chord changes happen and it will sound like I know what I am doing.
    Excellent suggestion and information! Breaking the information down into small pieces like that really really goes a long way to helping folks digest and internalize all of this music theory information. Thanks kindly Beboy!
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

thank you

thank you (forum said 1 thank you was too short a message)

didn't want to be rude