Default Top Guitar Riffs of the 50's !

Okay, some of us by Osmosis and other mysterious scientifically valid reasons remember the 50's but that's because the 50's never left. The Music of the 50's is like the music of every age - full of life and vitality and even if you weren't alive in teh 50's you can certainly know and appreciate the music of this era. We are talking about Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Bill Haley and the Comets, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Ray Charles, Ritchie Vanens, the Coasters, Little Richard, and Carl Perkins. Electric Guitar was born in this Era. What are your top Guitar Riffs of the 50's?

A video of some of the music of the 50's to jog your ancestral memoriesAXqgO63b59c
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

Okay 1950s for me:

Johnny B. Goode....hands down and should be in top 7

Bo Diddley

Rock around the clock

Tequilla

Perter Gunn theme

Rebel Rouser

Wipe Out

Misirlou

BeBop a Lua

Blue suede shoes

Mystery Train

La Bamba

Blue Suede Shoes
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Cool And...

Sweet Little Angel, by BB King
    Susie Q, the original by Louisiana legend Dale Hawkins
    Hootchie Cootchie Man written by Willie Dixon performed by Muddy Waters
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Red face Guitar Boogie

If you have played long at all, you have heard something that probably originated in the riff Arthur Smith wrote in the 40's called Guitar Boogie. To quote the wiki, "The Virtues.... released a rock reworking of Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith's country hit "Guitar Boogie" in 1958 under the title "Guitar Boogie Shuffle". Smith's riff is a classic so let's hear him do it first. The first guitar teacher I ever met (40+ years ago) had taught some of the folks in Arthur Smith's band.

Let's see if we can find the version by the Virtues:
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

I think you guys nailed them pretty well
    I'd like to add Howlin' Wolfs "Spoonful" (written by Willie Dixon) to the list though.
    Johnny

Less is more

A few that haven't been mentioned...

Matchbox by Carl Perkins
    Train Kept a Rollin' by Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio
    Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and his Comets
    Jeannie, Jeannie, Jeannie by Eddie Cochran
    That'll be the Day by Buddy Holly