Thread: Howdy

Default Howdy

New guy here. I have played guitar for a bit, but truthfully I dont play anywhere near as good as I should by now. So I have recently decided its time to buckle down and actually get good on the guitar. Anyway, I have purchased a couple courses through the years from Truefire and I guess if am going to be serious about getting better, it would be prudent to be a part of a community that is after the same goal I am.

Blog Entries

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. You are in very similar company here. We hear that same story echoed all the time. Browse around a bit, there are a couple of stickied threads for introduction. One of them has a free offer from TrueFire attached. And most importantly don't be afraid to ask questions, we're pretty friendly around these parts.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Welcome Nosral. You'll fit right in. None of us play as good "as we should" lol. Jump in and you'll find a lot of helpful folks in this forum. Don't be shy, or ever think there's a "dumb" question.
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Thanks for the welcome!

Blog Entries

Welcome Nosral....love your input down in the gear threads. Glad you are on board and if we can help you out on anything give a shout. Lots of cool folks here on a regular basis
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Blog Entries

Welcome Nosral to Truefire World and it's good to have a metal dude hanging out too. So many of the new metal players have pushed the boundaries of modern guitar with technique and sound really refreshing even if my ears can't cope with double bass drums at warp speed and gutteral vocals. But that's because I'm an ol geezer geetar should be heading forward. Those Scandinavian dudes have done wonders for rock guitar even if they have some bizarre caricutures of the metal scene in their midst.

This beat combo are pretty funky to my tastes probaly lightweight

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

well I love the metal thats for sure, and am a big fan of brutal death metal (though I dont play quite as fast) I also love thrash and some powermetal.

this is a band I love, check out the playing on this!!!

anyway, the truth be told what brought me here is that I am now playing on my Church's Worship Team and that is stretching me as a player, I am not playing fast with brutality but instead slow and mellow, I am doing some solos that I just dont really have the chops for.. oh how I need to learn so much..

Ok guys go easy on me.. my band was a love it or hate it type of thing...
    anyway, this is my last bands myspace... now you can know just how bad of a lead player I am.

http://www.myspace.com/frostlikeashes

Blog Entries

Just watched a bunch of Frost Like Ashes on YT...you mean it maaaan. Not all my cup o'tea but powerful stuff. Dya what I'd really like to know how you record your tone Nosral

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Blog Entries

Interesting lunch break

None of the music here is stuff I would listen to but.....there was some good and different guitar work throughout. Slipnot almost sounded good when there was actual singing

Nosral I listened to a couple of your songs...yes and I heard some nylon leads in the acoustic version of one too! They seemed well produced and sounded as good as the other 2 videos I watched. The guitar playing was solid. Lots of start and go pauses that require practice and talent to nail. Clearly the vocals are love/hate on this stuff and I am too old for them I guess. The lyrics, what I can make out, don't seem my cup of tea either but....the lead player on the "Suffication" was just awesome. Which guy were you in the band by the way??

Thanks for sharing
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

ok, recording has had a few different stages and set backs for me..

first ep Pure as the Blood Covered Snow, I used an Ibanez tube king thru a Marshall JCM 900 SLX and an SM57 to mic it up. I used a peavey 4x12 cab and we did this in a small studio. I was happiest with this tone but it was hard to work with live...

I then bought a Behringer Vamp (the small blue one not the pro unit) and used this in the live setting as it had a noise gate etc...

I recorded our album Tophet with this on a Roland 1680, the key was having the output volume just right.... otherwise it sounded washed out or tinny... anyway, it was an ok sound.. I actually thought it fit our sound quite nice.. but it didnt have the right feel..
    (The reason I used the behringer was that I didnt have a good mic to use on the cab.. and I was recording in a basement)

On the Born To Pieces I used the Behringer again.. This time into Pro Tools Digi 02 unit.

on the Johnny Cash song we did for the tribute that never came out I used the Behringer Pro on that.. it sounded ok but a touch washed out. Sadly with Behringer its hit or miss, if it sounds good you got a keeper, but since they dont use the best electronics sounds vary from unit to unit...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    Interesting lunch break

None of the music here is stuff I would listen to but.....there was some good and different guitar work throughout. Slipnot almost sounded good when there was actual singing

Nosral I listened to a couple of your songs...yes and I heard some nylon leads in the acoustic version of one too! They seemed well produced and sounded as good as the other 2 videos I watched. The guitar playing was solid. Lots of start and go pauses that require practice and talent to nail. Clearly the vocals are love/hate on this stuff and I am too old for them I guess. The lyrics, what I can make out, don't seem my cup of tea either but....the lead player on the "Suffication" was just awesome. Which guy were you in the band by the way??

Thanks for sharing
    in the band I was Sebat (guitarist)
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9898.637282943

the lyrics to Frost Like Ashes were a bit of an oddity as we were playing extreme metal (blackened, which is supposed to be satanic) and had Christian lyrics... so you can see we we sort of stepped on toes and got some angry letters..
    we are no longer together (calling it hiatus but I think its over)

anyway, thanks for being nice, I didnt expect anyone to really dig it, but i figured I would share anyway....