1. Wink TrueFire Toons :: Jam Tips

---
    brad wendkos
    brad@truefire.com

Blog Entries

Been there, done that
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

I host 2 jam sessions each week, yep, I see that and more on a regular basis!

I've only been to one jam, and that was as a spectator.

Arrow

I've been trying to kick myself in the arss and go to Red's Jam...Someday...

Best Ever !

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a spy.
    Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread...ot-Study-Group

This looks like a job for Jeff Scheetz's Blues Jam Survival Course!
    Survival Guide Sampler

I read - have a good attitude, and be prepared.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Smile

Really a nice one there....

Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Smile Oh...doooooh!

I forgot to check to see if I was plugged into the amp!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's best guitar player."

GREAT reply Gadlaw!!! It is awesomely comforting to know you are out there keeping a lookout!!!!

I know I have told this story before.... but for those of you who haven't heard it I would be happy to publicly humiliate myself for you..

Years back when I was endorsed by Yamaha, I did tons of clinics for them. One particular one was in Clinton, Iowa. Small town, but many times the small town clinics were the best, presumably because they didn't have a ton of clinics so everyone came out when they did. At this music store there were 160 people packed in there to see me play with some tracks and demo the new Yamaha effects pedals. That is a really big crowd when the lights are all on, nobody is drinking, and you are the only one on stage!!! So they had a little stage there for me and I had my stuff all setup and had done a sound check earlier. Got there and was surprised that there were so many people for a guitar clinic! So I got up onstage and the store owner gave me this big introduction and the crowd erupted with applause and cheers..... I spoke for a minute and said "Let's get right into some music"... more applause and wooting.... so before I turned the track on I turned my guitar up to play a chord and check the sound..... nothing.... crickets........ So I checked my guitar volume again... and again... been there done that - but the guitar was up - so I started unplugging and then re-plugging cables. I went back and made sure the amp wasn't on standby - I jacked with the amp knobs a bit..... the crowd was starting to get restless... murmuring and whatnot....... So I went up to the mic and said "Just a second and we will rock", in my best rock guy swagger tone - a smattering of cheers..... more murmuring. I was really starting to freak cause this was starting to get a bit long. Yamaha had just sent me 10 of their new pedals to demo so I had those lined up across the front of the stage... so I got down and started unplugging all of those - then re-plugging..... hitting a "silent" guitar chord between each - took awhile.... checked my guitar volume again.... I am starting to sweat - meanwhile the Yamaha Rep that brought me there was saying "Jeff" from the side of the stage... I kind of gave him the wave off as if to say "Not now dude, I need to get this fixed".... I am still all alone on the stage - minutes have now went by - it is uncomfortable at the least... He keeps saying "Jeff, come here" - and I keep frantically looking for the problem. He finally tells me to come over to the side of the stage one more time - so I go over there and say kind of panicked - "I have no sound!!!" -He motions me to lean over to him and he whispers in my ear "Plug your guitar in"...

I think I had done 300 clinics for them at that time.......DOH!! I was so shocked that that was the problem I was in sort of a "I can't believe I just did that" haze... But, I went back to the amp - set my guitar down, adjusted one more pedal, put the guitar on, plugged it in and hit a chord... big sound... lots of applause... all was right on planet earth..... inspite of myself!

Your humbled servant,
    JS
    Jeff Scheetz - TrueFire's Director of Education
    TrueFire
    Jeff Scheetz Website and Blog

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." - Benjamin Franklin -

Funny toon and a great story from Jeff!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Blog Entries

Great story Jeff!

I had a night early on in my attempts to learn desktop recording. I had finnaly got everything sorted out with the computer and my podxt. All the ins/outs set, Podxt setup as computer sound card, all software up to date, pod tracking in Sonar everything a go. So the next night when I set down to record I was getting nothing. All the lights were on on the pod, the footboard, the computer, everything seemed it should be fine. Naturally I assumed it was something in the set up parameters. After about 45 minutes I was so frustrated I was ready to break something. I took off my head phones, put down my guitar in frustration and got up to leave. Of course my dog got up to leave with me and pushed down enough on the opposite side of my volume pedal that noise came out of my computer speakers

the whole time the volume pedal had been all the way down

I can relate....
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Great toon (again) and great story from Jeff. It's the simple things in life lol.
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by jeff scheetz View Post
    GREAT reply Gadlaw!!! It is awesomely comforting to know you are out there keeping a lookout!!!!

I know I have told this story before.... but for those of you who haven't heard it I would be happy to publicly humiliate myself for you..

Years back when I was endorsed by Yamaha, I did tons of clinics for them. One particular one was in Clinton, Iowa. Small town, but many times the small town clinics were the best, presumably because they didn't have a ton of clinics so everyone came out when they did. At this music store there were 160 people packed in there to see me play with some tracks and demo the new Yamaha effects pedals. That is a really big crowd when the lights are all on, nobody is drinking, and you are the only one on stage!!! So they had a little stage there for me and I had my stuff all setup and had done a sound check earlier. Got there and was surprised that there were so many people for a guitar clinic! So I got up onstage and the store owner gave me this big introduction and the crowd erupted with applause and cheers..... I spoke for a minute and said "Let's get right into some music"... more applause and wooting.... so before I turned the track on I turned my guitar up to play a chord and check the sound..... nothing.... crickets........ So I checked my guitar volume again... and again... been there done that - but the guitar was up - so I started unplugging and then re-plugging cables. I went back and made sure the amp wasn't on standby - I jacked with the amp knobs a bit..... the crowd was starting to get restless... murmuring and whatnot....... So I went up to the mic and said "Just a second and we will rock", in my best rock guy swagger tone - a smattering of cheers..... more murmuring. I was really starting to freak cause this was starting to get a bit long. Yamaha had just sent me 10 of their new pedals to demo so I had those lined up across the front of the stage... so I got down and started unplugging all of those - then re-plugging..... hitting a "silent" guitar chord between each - took awhile.... checked my guitar volume again.... I am starting to sweat - meanwhile the Yamaha Rep that brought me there was saying "Jeff" from the side of the stage... I kind of gave him the wave off as if to say "Not now dude, I need to get this fixed".... I am still all alone on the stage - minutes have now went by - it is uncomfortable at the least... He keeps saying "Jeff, come here" - and I keep frantically looking for the problem. He finally tells me to come over to the side of the stage one more time - so I go over there and say kind of panicked - "I have no sound!!!" -He motions me to lean over to him and he whispers in my ear "Plug your guitar in"...

I think I had done 300 clinics for them at that time.......DOH!! I was so shocked that that was the problem I was in sort of a "I can't believe I just did that" haze... But, I went back to the amp - set my guitar down, adjusted one more pedal, put the guitar on, plugged it in and hit a chord... big sound... lots of applause... all was right on planet earth..... inspite of myself!

Your humbled servant,
    JS
    Glad I had the wit to remember your Jam Course Jeff. You're one of the quiet giants here and it's great to hear that even you can make those kind of mistakes - it gives hope to the rest of us. And how awesome is it that there's a course to help you get ready for Jamming?

Jeff's story reminds me of what Jeff is talking about in his course - When you have a good attitude about yourself people 'want' you to do well, they want you to succeed. I know that when I'm in the audience and there are newly minted performers up there (Scared out of their minds), I want them to do well as does everyone else in the audience. And in Jeff's story there was a great deal of relief when he succeeded! Probably had something to do with Jeff's warm and friendly personality - his audience wanted him to do well! If Jeff came out with Axel Rose's personality at the first sign of trouble I'm thinking he would have had a different reaction from the audience.

Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Yep seen all of the above. Don't forget..spending 5 mins to tune up.