Wink Nomination: Johnny A.

Johnny A. has one of the most eloquent voices in modern music — and he doesn't sing a note. Instead, he channels joy, love, humor, sadness… every aspect of the human experience, through his guitar.

Only the finest musicians have the ability to capture the nuances of life in sound, which puts Johnny in a very exclusive group of six-stringers that includes Les Paul, Wes Montgomery, Jeff Beck, Chet Atkins, and Jimi Hendrix. The secret is his blend of melody, sonic definition, technique and that indefinable-yet-tangible quality called "soul." And he’s eloquently shared that secret on the CDs Sometime Tuesday Morning (2001), Get Inside (2004), and the instructional DVD Taste, Tone, Space (2006), which are approaching combined sales of 150,000 copies. All the virtues of Johnny A.'s playing are in abundant display on One November Night, a brand new DVD/CD set recorded live at Scullers in his hometown of Boston, MA.

Red face Aye!!!

AYE must give a big AYE to Johnny A. His signature looks a lot like my Reverend Manta Ray, but I give him the vote because of his great ability and versatility. Here are some video examples from easy listening smooth jazz to Hendrixian acrobatics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL3mvkZ6mVk

This one has a great story for the first 6 minutes 35 seconds, but it's cool when you hear what he does in the song..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL3mvkZ6mVk
    If you prefer the more direct, less jazzy style, go here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZA5aWJf9U
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing.Eph. 4:31,32 I need to remember this every day.

Smile

Aye, Aye !!

Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Blog Entries

Absolutely aye from me.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

He's an exceptional player. Aye!
    Do you have seen the TrueFire's Who's Who of Guitar 2010 already? Please give us your feedback by nominating or giving an "aye" to great guitar players!

Stop playing all those wierd notes, play the melody!
    -- Thelonious Monk

Blog Entries

Wow this is a fantastic video (Witchita Lineman) and what a great tone. I couldn't agree more with this comment from Youtube:

"God that's refreshing...A guitarist's guitarist that puts the song and the sound as his first priority, rather than oohing and aahing everybody with shred. You know this guy could tear it up with speed if he wanted to. And that sound! I feel like I'm watching the sunrise from earth orbit. Absolutely first-rate musicianship and sound and total respect for the song!!!!! "

Aye Aye mates
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Blog Entries

mpmedia....welcome to the forums, great selection!

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Whoa... I never heard of this guy but he's my new favorite guitar player. This is a sense of melody and rhythm Wes Montgomery-esque.. and that's saying somthin'.
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Blog Entries

I had a French friend raving about Johnny A a couple of years ago but didn't really pay any attention, he's on my radar now...wonderful "Aye"

http://www.johnnya.com/bio.html

H
    Last edited by Hutch82; 07-11-2010 at 05:51 AM.
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Red face I think we have a Double Nomination now

Johnny A has been nominated in another thread, but he is worth two anyway. The good news is that the list is getting so long that you have to double check stuff like this. I'll vote for him again. I mean , hey, it is your contest.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing.Eph. 4:31,32 I need to remember this every day.

12. Default

aye aye aye!
    ---
    brad wendkos
    brad@truefire.com

13. Default

haha! you're right on both counts!
    ---
    brad wendkos
    brad@truefire.com

Smile

Aye, Aye !!!

Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Wink

aye aye!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

aye!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Blog Entries

I love this guy AYE!

Beautiful guitar, great playing and phenomenal tone

Blog Entries

Aye aye for Johnny Aye
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Blog Entries

- - - Aye - - -

I merged the 2 threads. There a a lot of duplicate ayes, but I didn't want to start merging/deleting posts.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

JOhnny A ..YE

AYE AYE AYE. Really enjoy his work.

Bob

Another outstanding guitarist I've never heard of. I swear I do leave the house often. AYE, and here's Witchita Lineman by Johnny A.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

I loved that one too Gad. I've listened to it over and over and hope one day my tone is so good. Amazing style.

Quote Originally Posted by herby View Post
    I loved that one too Gad. I've listened to it over and over and hope one day my tone is so good. Amazing style.
    I found the guys website but the 30 dollar CD made me sad. I don't know who pays 30 bucks for a CD anymore. Other that that, the guy is really outstanding.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    I found the guys website but the 30 dollar CD made me sad. I don't know who pays 30 bucks for a CD anymore. Other that that, the guy is really outstanding.
    30 bucks?!?! That is sad. I'd be givin'em away just to get the word out.

Aye Johnny A
    - Jeff

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
    - Carl Sagan

Aye aye from me, I've loved his work since the 1st album, got to see and meet him on the 2006 tour and have one of the guitars! His new DVD filmed at a club in Boston is almost like seeing him live.

Default Update: as of Feb 14, 2011

This artist has been included in the 100+ Gifted Guitarists You Should Know published on the TrueFire.com Punch-In. See the attached link.
    http://truefire.com/blog/100-gifted-guitarists/