Default The Crooked Road

Hello all and greetings from Virginia. I made a trip down south to help a friend of mine move. So farthe trip has been a great time. The radio stations play some great classic country and bluegrass, things rarely found in Dayton. The country is beautiful and a welcome change from the cement jungle I'm used to.

I was looking through some local brochures and found some information on what's called The Crooked Road. Apparently this is a tour through the musical heritage of Virginia. I thought it was interesting stuff and I thought I would post a link to some additional information.

I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

http://www.thecrookedroad.org/default.asp
    I want to die in my sleep like grandpa, not screaming like everyone else in the car.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrhoden View Post
    Hello all and greetings from Virginia. I made a trip down south to help a friend of mine move. So farthe trip has been a great time. The radio stations play some great classic country and bluegrass, things rarely found in Dayton. The country is beautiful and a welcome change from the cement jungle I'm used to.

I was looking through some local brochures and found some information on what's called The Crooked Road. Apparently this is a tour through the musical heritage of Virginia. I thought it was interesting stuff and I thought I would post a link to some additional information.

I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

http://www.thecrookedroad.org/default.asp
    Looks a fantastic place jr I ride motorcycles and that would be a perfect route for a holiday ride and culteral tour...if I win the lottery tonight I'll be contacting you for recommendations. Enjoy your stay sounds like the music is up your street.

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Crooked Road is cool!! Thanks for the link, I've been through a lot of that area, close to Cherokee N.C. Beautiful country!!!

Link saved!

Blog Entries

Very interesting and tons of history. This is one of the books they sell in their online store:

CLAPTON'S GUITAR

In 1994, Eric Clapton came across a Wayne Henderson guitar in a recording studio and decided on the spot that he had to have one. Rarer than Stradivarius violins, these musical works of art are built from near-extinct Brazilian Rosewood, Appalachian spruce, black ebony, and fine mother-of-pearl. With Henderson's keen ear for the vibrations of each piece of wood he uses, each note that comes out of them has the power of a cannon and the sweetness of maple syrup.

In Clapton's Guitar, Allen St. John recounts how a perfect acoustic guitar comes into the world and how an artist gauges perfection. Wayne Henderson, master luthier and genius in blue jeans, will tell you that he simply puts penknife to wood and carves away "everything that isn't a guitar." This is the story of a master artist, set deep in the mountains of southwestern Virginia in a brick, one-story guitar shop, as busy and chaotic inside as it is simple outside. The space is well-lighted, cluttered with power tools, air hoses, and guitar bodies in various stages of completion. It is in this modest shop that Wayne Henderson crafts some of the most highly coveted acoustic guitars on earth, including one very special instrument he built for Eric Clapton.

Normally, there is a ten-year wait for a Henderson guitar, and St. John finds there are no exceptions even for an iconic figure like Clapton. But seeing it as a shortcut to getting his own guitar done, St. John jump-starts the process, and then takes readers with him on a mesmerizing journey into the heart of high-end instrument making with the man The Washington Post calls the "Mad Scientist of Mountain Music." Henderson, a small-town wise man, is not only the star of this book as a master guitar maker but also is the star of any stage he sets foot on as a master guitar player, equally at home at Carnegie Hall or the local VFW hall. Around this drolly humorous man circulates a small coterie of colorful characters and inspired musicians, who welcome you for an all-too-brief visit. By book's end, you too will want to be Wayne Henderson's friend.

In a rich tapestry of folklore and folksiness, St. John tells the story of building the Clapton guitar in loving detail, from the centuries-old forests where great tonewood grows, to the auction floor of Christie's where one of Clapton's guitars commands over $700,000. It's also a loving look at Wayne's corner of the world, the Blue Ridge mountain hamlets where American traditional music was born, and of Wayne's hometown of Rugby, Virginia, population 7, where the winding roads have kept progress at bay.

Whether you love old-time music, unplugged rock, traditional American craftsmanship, or simply gifted storytelling, Clapton's Guitar is an engaging work that you will want to savor and share with friends.
    http://shop.thecrookedroad.org/_stor...&deptlistcode=
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Blog Entries

A little Wayne Henderson from Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlHrRHAo-bU

A little insight into his wood shop:
    From Wood to Singing Guitar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXkVy...eature=related

More from Wayne's shop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rW1utz_NM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGGE5...eature=related
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Unhappy The Crooked Road, oh my

Yes indeed, I have done a lot of travelling with my work all along this area. It can be a great place to ride your motorcycle, but it is definitely a world of cultural and music like nothing else. In Bristol, VA I ate at the last place Hank Williams was known to eat before he died (I had no ill effects what so ever). In Stuart, VA I sat with a guy who ran a small cafe and who played beautifully while I looked at the photos of him together with Chet Adkins posted on the cafe walls. He played with Chet when he was younger and his mother (yes, his mother) said he should have stayed in Nashville. He told me some personal stories about Wayne Henderson too. I actually was able to play one of Henderson's guitars that a park ranger had as part of an exhibit near Wytheville, VA. Yes, sometimes a travelling sort of job can have its perks. I ALMOST hate to retire in January, but I am sure I will adjust just fine.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Great links there Wolf. I did spend a little time at the Crooked Road store and have my eyes on a few items I would like to have. Believe it or not, I actually want the cookbook of recipes from the region. I love southern food.

I appreciate you posting the Youtube links there Wolf. There's some great stuff there.
    I want to die in my sleep like grandpa, not screaming like everyone else in the car.

Wink A little more local music

This geographic area is not a part of the Crooked Road, but I found this while checking out the other links. I couldn't help but appreciate this guy, his guitar work, and the story he sang. I lived through these times and recall all the devastation from these floods in WV's McDowell and other counties in 2001 and 2002. Love the way this guy catches a G chord with his thumb of a few licks. Also note the instruments in his back ground.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=kH2J...eature=related
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Nice find wvgman. I really enjoyed that guys playing and singing. The song tells a story, which I think many songs lack these days. I can picture that guy playing in the 'front room' with family and friends having a great time. To me, that's what music is all about.

Exclamation Thanks, JR.

JR, you are so right about the way this guy plays. I started a thread in General Musings called "Obscure, but good local artist" with some other videos of him and his friends in a band called South 52. In one they are in a kitchen playing an old Johnny Cash tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W-qem5l4-A It is probably a practice session, but what fun. Ya'll come over and we will pick a spell.
    I notice that "Cathead" and all his friends seem to play more than one instrument.

In my youth, I was never a fan of country or bluegrass, but our tastes can change as we age.
    Last edited by wvgman; 04-25-2010 at 03:46 PM.