Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation 3D Acoustic Guitar: Moderated by Vicki!

Great News! Vicki Genfan is just back from her European tour and is now ready to moderate her 3D Acoustic Guitar course blog here in the forum.

http://truefire.com/acoustic-guitar-...oustic-guitar/

Vicki will chime in shortly with more details about how she would like to conduct the course blog.

Of course, this is an ideal opportunity for all Level 2 and 3 Students and anybody who has purchased the 3D Acoustic Guitar on disk.

PLUS, we will happily give 30 days of free access to the course on TrueFire TV for anybody interested in participating who does not yet own the course or is a TrueFire student. Fair deal?!

So, stand by for a post from Vicki...
    ---
    brad wendkos
    brad@truefire.com

Default 3D Acoustic Guitar Course Blog - from Vicki G.

Hey everyone! Glad to be here....just got home after 2 months on the road.
    I'm gearing up here with Brad to get started with a '3-D Acoustic Guitar' course blog 1st of May - and we want
    to get some feedback from you all as to how you think you'd get the most value out of me!

We could do a 2 week, every night, check-in about specific lessons....OR we could be a little more 'free flowing' and
    have more of an 'open blog' where you'd throw out questions and challenges and I'd check in every few days...

My Objectives:
    1 - To answer your questions & get you over any humps....
    2 - To push you past 'too much thinking' and get you into some really fun tunings & jams - even if you're not fluent yet with all the technical stuff.

What are Your Objectives? Your 3-D Desires? Let us know here in this thread....
    www.vickigenfan.com
    www.youtube.com/vickigenfan

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to the forums! We are super excited that you are here.

How has your life changed since winning the 2008 Guitar Superstar Competition?

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to the forums

Wink Welcome Vicki! :)

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for taking the time to do this course blog! I think your style of playing guitar is very impressive, and I look forward to being able to "pick" your brain regarding 3D Acoustic Guitar.

I personally think that the "free flowing" course blog would be better suited for the forum cause' I know not everyone can make it every single night. So the ability for us to post when it's convenient and for you to answer our questions when it's convenient for you, will be the most productive, imo.

I look forward to the start of your 3D Acoustic Guitar Blog!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Quote Originally Posted by beboy View Post
    Hi Vicki,

Welcome to the forums! We are super excited that you are here.

How has your life changed since winning the 2008 Guitar Superstar Competition?

How has my life changed since winning the Superstar Competition? Well, more people are calling me back these days! I've gotten a lot more visibility as well as credibility.
    Luna Guitars had a guitar built for me by luthier Gray Burchette (Burchette Guitars) and they're releasing the Vicki Genfan Signature Guitar in May which is a 'scaled down' version of mine. I've been using an internal Mic for amplification made by Mini Flex (It's called the 2 Mic) and they are in the process of making me a Signature Mic system. I still have to work my butt off though, between keeping the gig flow going and creating new music....that will always be a challenge!
    www.vickigenfan.com

Hey Vicki welcome to the forum!!

I will contribute to your blog too!

i cant' wait to start it !!
    all the best
    Roberto
    Last edited by Rgalvez; 04-14-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Post from Scott Wilkinson

I would enjoy free flowing format as well. This course had a tremendous impact on my playing. I think that the whole course should be digested over an extended period of time to let some principles and techniques consolidate into your brain and fingers. Because of these techniques , I am also looking for another guitar that maximizes the technique, to be used for alternate tuning. I currently have a Martin D-35, 1967, Brazilian rosewood. This works great for these techniques while some of my other guitars don't ring out as well with the harmonics. tapping and percussion. my initial thoughts.
    Scott

Exclamation

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting that first TrueFire course out. Just listened to Atomic Reshuffle once again, OMG that's incredible sound and tone. D-A-D-G-C-D tuning. You know the only chance I would have in doing that tuning is using my Intelli tuner and safety goggles. I see two mics there and I assume the guitar is plugged in to get that sound, any settings that might help us get a good sound and is the action on your guitar very high. I find for instance in trying the thumb slap that I'm banging the frets and making a clacking sound rather than a clean tone. Thanks much
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

First off Welcome to the forums Ms. Genfan. I loved that whole 2008 Guitar competition. You did great, holding your own in a predominant male showcase. Great song too!

As to your blog....it will be a WONDERFUL addition to the goings on around here. I would pretty much have to blow the dust off my acoustic and change the strings to play along with your course, not that that bothers me as much as brother gadlaw, but just not sure I have the time (rock and nylon are my current time consumers) but I will be pulling for you. There seems to be a plethora of church players and acoustic aficionados here and I'm sure the turn out will surprise you. Remember....it's not just the posts, it's the views to keep track of
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Hi Vicki,
    welcome and thank you for your time! Concerning the format, I second jimiclaptonscarls opinion. Past moderated Blogs have shown that a too fast progress can be a little "overwhelming".
    I'm not a great acoustic player but I very much like your style and will try to follow...
    Mopper

Quote Originally Posted by jimiclaptoncarl View Post
    I personally think that the "free flowing" course blog would be better suited for the forum cause' I know not everyone can make it every single night. So the ability for us to post when it's convenient and for you to answer our questions when it's convenient for you, will be the most productive, imo.

I look forward to the start of your 3D Acoustic Guitar Blog!

Blog Entries

Vivki

I too wish to welcome you to the TF Forums. I am looking forward to following your blog and also wish to thank you for joining us.

Stay tuned...
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

I got the 3D course along with a few others during the Fire Sale at Christmas time. I was going to get to it after some others, but this blog has made me decide to get started on this course already.
    I haven't watched any of the course yet, so I don't know what you cover yet, but I would like to see the blog be about helping us get fundamental techniques down, overcoming challenges that will hinder our progress through the course.
    So, perhaps a combination of free-flowing ask questions any time, and you making sure we're progressively reaching certain 'milestones' in this kind of playing.
    Thanks!

I would do the course first.How can you comment on the meal before you have eaten?

Blog Entries

Hey folks welcome to the forum!

wswilkinson...I see you have already worked on the course. Hang out here once Vicki gets going and give those on the blog a hand. You obviously enjoyed and learned from it so far. Vicki's extra input here will likely ramp you up another notch or two.

lindsayward...thanks for coming by the forums. I started my first blog because I was tired of not finishing hardly any of the courses I owned. I thought if I started blogging one... I would have to finish. I never do the courses first, I like to learn as I go along and discuss whatever I think is relevant to me and to those reading. I'm not sure what Ms. Genfan's modus operendi will be but I am hoping she will kind of walk through the course while offering help and assistance along the way. It's also likely many of the forumites will join in as well. Don't feel obligated to start it ahead of time, many others won't, I might suggest you give the first couple of lessons a look over so you can ask questions if needed when she first starts.

Either way I bet you both will enjoy it and be wonderful contributors in her blog.

Now go tell us about yourselves in the introductions thread if you have time (plus get some free stuff and more greetings).
    Again....WELCOME

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayward View Post
    I got the 3D course along with a few others during the Fire Sale at Christmas time. I was going to get to it after some others, but this blog has made me decide to get started on this course already.
    I haven't watched any of the course yet, so I don't know what you cover yet, but I would like to see the blog be about helping us get fundamental techniques down, overcoming challenges that will hinder our progress through the course.
    So, perhaps a combination of free-flowing ask questions any time, and you making sure we're progressively reaching certain 'milestones' in this kind of playing.
    Thanks!
    Thanks for making it so clear - I think that's where we're heading...spreading this out over a longer period of time (maybe a month?), fielding your questions and at the same time I will poke at you and check in about reaching certain 'milestones' as you put it. I like that.
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default keep the suggestions coming...

Thanks all - for chiming in. I'm happy to hear from more of you who are interested.
    Start date as of this point is May 1 - so if you can wait to ask specific course questions until then that would be wonderful.
    looking forward......!
    www.vickigenfan.com

I checked out the video samples for this course on Truefire. I think I might be ready for it on my 3rd lifetime.

Exclamation Review in Premier Guitar

Luna's signature model Vicki Genfan guitar just got a rave review in Premier Guitar. It sounds like an incredibly great guitar for an unbelievably low price! It is beautiful!
    Here is a link: http://digital.premierguitar.com/pre...201005_1#pg193

How cool would it be to follow the moderated course blog playing on this?
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

read the review. Sounds like high praise. Certainly Vickie has demonstrated how this guitar works. Though I wonder if you should really try to get the actual signature model rather than the model with the cut away and the laminate back rather than solid rosewood. I will be interested in her comments. thanks for the link and review. Where do you purchase such an instrument?

Exclamation Ask and you shall receive

Hi WS, Here is a link to Luna's web site and they have a "dealer locater" tab at the top of the page. Hope this helps.
    http://www.lunaguitars.com/index.php
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

that is great and a great value.

Quote Originally Posted by wswilkinson View Post
    read the review. Sounds like high praise. Certainly Vickie has demonstrated how this guitar works. Though I wonder if you should really try to get the actual signature model rather than the model with the cut away and the laminate back rather than solid rosewood. I will be interested in her comments. thanks for the link and review. Where do you purchase such an instrument?
    The actual signature model is hand built by an incredible luthier from North Carolina named Gray Burchette. (www.burchetteguitars.com) If you're interested in purchasing one of these, contact Derek@lunaguitars.com. You can visit www.lunaguitars.com to find out about Luna dealers throughout the country and when the cutaway model will be available. They're both really great guitars...thank you Luna!
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default My Kali Dreams

Hi Vicki!

I wanted to thank you for your tremendous course. I've played guitar for most of my life, and have always been interested in this style, but 3D Acoustic was the first resource I've found that made it accessible to me. Here's what I learned from you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPafNE2Ypuk

Sincerely,

Andrew Sherbrooke
    www.andrewsherbrooke.com
    http://www.facebook.com/AndrewSherbrooke

Good morning and welcome to the forum Andrew. I'm listening to your version of Vicki's Kali Dreams and reading a bit at your facebook page. Very impressive sir. I do like that you're going to go play at a Hospice, a very good heart thing to do. Glad to meet you and as you can see from this thread Ms Vicki will be here. Welcome again.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

Andrew welcome!!! That was some real nice playing
    Glad you stopped in and hopefully you will enoy Ms. Genfan's course blog. Feel free to look around and share some advice or ask questions. I'm sure there are many folks here digging a new acoustic player on the boards.

Default Bravo!

Bravo Andrew!! Well done indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by asherbro View Post
    Hi Vicki!

I wanted to thank you for your tremendous course. I've played guitar for most of my life, and have always been interested in this style, but 3D Acoustic was the first resource I've found that made it accessible to me. Here's what I learned from you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPafNE2Ypuk

Sincerely,

Andrew Sherbrooke
    www.andrewsherbrooke.com
    http://www.facebook.com/AndrewSherbrooke
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the kind welcomes and feedback, everyone! It's nice to be here. Vicki, I'm on to the next piece now .

Sincerely,

Andrew

Blog Entries

Really enjoyed your Kali Dreams and the Slow Bossa groove too, both pieces inspirational to me right now thanks Andrew. Welcome and hope you stick around

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Default Officially Blogging....

OK Everyone...get ready to hear from me sometime tomorrow for our first 'official' blog on the course. I'm going to start from the beginning and we'll take it from there. I'm psyched to start digging in with those who want to come along!

until then.....

-Vicki
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default Day #1

Hi everyone!

Here's what I'm thinking...let's start with the first 4 videos:
    1 - Tuning
    2 - Thumb Slaps
    3 - Thumb Slaps w/ Hammers
    4 - Thumb Slap Etude

Let me know your questions, comments or experiences with these. I am guessing you're all at slightly different places with the course, so - let's see how slow or fast we need to take this.

For those who are doing the course for the first time right now, be sure to keep track of your questions...if I don't get to them all right now, I'll be sure to make myself available to you in regular email world.
    For those who have already been working with the course, let's try to stick with these first 4 lessons, making sure you're really paying attention to the details and subtleties of the techniques so that you can get a clean, funky, controlled 'SLAP' - both unmuted and muted.

Things to focus on (especially those who are already familiar and comfortable with slapping)
    1 - Practice getting a clean slap on the 5th & 4th strings once you've mastered the 6th string.
    2 - Be sure you understand the difference between the 'left hand forearm mute' and the 'right hand mute' when slapping.

Finally - read all the notes underneath the videos!! There are lots of important tips and thoughts that will make your playing even more amazing than it already is!

I'll be on the road all day today, but will check in tomorrow. In terms of how long we'll stay with a 'topic', we'll start with a more 'free flowing' rhythm and make adjustments as we go. My guess is that we'll take at least a few days and maybe longer on each 'blog-lesson'. As always, your input is welcome and is what will make this work! Looking forward to hearing from you...

Have FUN.....

-Vicki
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default Day 1

I am through the slap & hammer & haven't begun the etude yet. I did get into some spontaneous slapping/jamming. Was fun. A little frustrated with slapping 5th & 4th strings and getting a good ringing tone. At times I got frustrated & thought it was my guitar. I guess the guitar does effect it. Anyways, thanks for the blog.

Exclamation Day 1

Well, this is cool covering the first four vids... I think I'm going to get a lot out of this course!

Tuning: My guitar was already in DADGBD so I just had to raise the b string up a step to C. Easy!

Thumb Slaps: Ok, I'm having trouble getting this technique down... everytime I thumb slap I almost always get a harmonic instead of the open D string... :( Also, is there a specific reason why you keep your hand open "handshake" grip instead of closing your hand? And why do you keep your palm resting on the top of the guitar when you finish the thumb slap?

Forearm muting: This is also hard for me I'm not use to using my forearm to mute... Will need to take some time to get down. I love the sound of the sped up version you do, that is really inspiring for me, I guess that's my 1st short term goal to be able to do that.

Thumb slap etude: This is my short term goal #2, haha, I love how this sounds, so I'm definitely going to be spending some time with these techniques!

Thanks for taking the time to do this blog and the course Vicki!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default Slapping 5th & 6th strings

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbot22 View Post
    I am through the slap & hammer & haven't begun the etude yet. I did get into some spontaneous slapping/jamming. Was fun. A little frustrated with slapping 5th & 4th strings and getting a good ringing tone. At times I got frustrated & thought it was my guitar. I guess the guitar does effect it. Anyways, thanks for the blog.
    Yeah - it's definitely harder to get a clear tone when slapping 5th & 4th strings. BUT - when you can do it, it really opens up your options for getting that kind of funky slap bass sound for all of your different chords - like in standard, playing an A chord or a D chord, where your roots are on the 5th & 4th strings. Try moving your slapping hand around, closer to the sound hole and away - see how the sound changes and where you like it.
    www.vickigenfan.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimiclaptoncarl View Post
    Well, this is cool covering the first four vids... I think I'm going to get a lot out of this course!

Tuning: My guitar was already in DADGBD so I just had to raise the b string up a step to C. Easy!

Thumb Slaps: Ok, I'm having trouble getting this technique down... everytime I thumb slap I almost always get a harmonic instead of the open D string... :( Also, is there a specific reason why you keep your hand open "handshake" grip instead of closing your hand? And why do you keep your palm resting on the top of the guitar when you finish the thumb slap?

Forearm muting: This is also hard for me I'm not use to using my forearm to mute... Will need to take some time to get down. I love the sound of the sped up version you do, that is really inspiring for me, I guess that's my 1st short term goal to be able to do that.

Thumb slap etude: This is my short term goal #2, haha, I love how this sounds, so I'm definitely going to be spending some time with these techniques!

Thanks for taking the time to do this blog and the course Vicki!
    OK - as far as getting a harmonic when you do a thumb slap, try moving your attack away from the 12th fret. This should remedy that, but if it doesn't let me know and I'll suggest something else! I keep my hand open when I slap so there's less movement needed when I start tapping the harmonics. You don't need to do this if it doesn't make sense to your body, but I'd suggest trying it - and noticing how easy it is to add the tapping in this hand position. As for keeping my palm resting on the top of the guitar after thumb slap, I don't know - I'll have to go look at the vid and get back to you.

Forearm Muting - it's worth the time to get it right. You can hear the kinds of things you can do....remember to harness all the patience you can find - and take it real slow. At first you have to use a lot of concentration and awareness to get the new movements into your nervous system. You know that at a certain point, it becomes more 'second nature'....but you have to put that initial time in at first or you'll learn it the wrong way. Good work and keep me posted!
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default Last chance for lesson #1 - 'First Four Videos'!!

OK folks...I'm gonna move us forward tomorrow onto the next bunch of vids. If you have any questions about the first 4, speak now or forever re-tune your guitar!

Peace,

Vicki
    www.vickigenfan.com

Thumbs up Hey ALL!!!!

Just jumping in here to take the course with you!!! I'm a newbie and I love experimentaTION!!!

I'll get what I can out of my lil Ibanez. And I so love playing out of boxes!

THANK YOU VICKY FOR THE INSPIRATION!!!! FUN!

Love to you all!!!

Ms. Phoenix

Default Lesson #2 - Harmonics & Brushes

Hey gang,

Here we go into the next TWO videos:
    1 - Harmonics and
    2 - Thumb Slaps w/ Harmonic Brush

HARMONICS

- Where are each of you - in terms of getting a great sound on 12, 7th & 5th frets?
    - Anyone who's not able to get a bright, bell like sound?
    - Try the 9th & 4th frets and see how loud and clear you can get them.
    A - Play single notes
    B - 'Brush' or play all 6 strings together
    - Anyone have trouble using the back of your nails (RT HAND) for brushes?

This is from the course notes -
    'For those who are familiar with harmonics make sure you haven't become lazy and that you're really getting the brightest ringing harmonics that you can. You may want to spend some time perfecting the 7th and 5th fret harmonics as these require more focus and accuracy.

When 'brushing' all 6 strings, make sure you're hearing all 6 strings! You may have to adjust your middle finger.'

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS ON THIS VIDEO?

THUMB SLAPS w/ HARMONIC BRUSHES
    Here we're just brining together what we've already learned from the first 4 videos.
    For the more advanced slappers, GO FOR ACCURACY! Don't settle for muddled sounding harmonics or muffled bass notes! If you've aced this, then increase the tempo and see how fast you can take it without getting messy!

This is a great exercise to do with your metronome...

OK - Have Fun!!
    looking forward to hearing from you.

Signing out, Vicki

www.vickigenfan.com

Post Seeing improvement in playing & practicing

Really enjoying the ideas & techniques so far. The harmonics are fine. It has been fun experimenting with them in a musical contex. It was different to use the back of nails, but I'm getting used to it. One thing that this course is helping me understand is that a relatively small amount of concentrated practice time gets results. Since these techniques are pretty new to me, I am practicing slow & for accuracy. 15 min of practice & the speed picks up. I have videos of my learning & playing improving. It is neat to see that happen. Thanks for the blog.

Default great work!

Really enjoying the ideas & techniques so far. The harmonics are fine. It has been fun experimenting with them in a musical contex. It was different to use the back of nails, but I'm getting used to it. One thing that this course is helping me understand is that a relatively small amount of concentrated practice time gets results. Since these techniques are pretty new to me, I am practicing slow & for accuracy. 15 min of practice & the speed picks up. I have videos of my learning & playing improving. It is neat to see that happen. Thanks for the blog.
    Good work, Guitarbot! I'm really glad you're getting positive results by practicing in small segments, taking your time and aiming for accuracy. One of the things that I notice myself when learning new things is that I seem to get better in the space in-between practice sessions...it's like it's happening all by itself if I put in the concentration!
    Thanks for your input!
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default Status

My 7 years old son saw Vicki playing KALI DREAMS & said 'whhhoooaaa, Daddy why can't you play like that?'. I said 'if I could, I'd be rich & famous!'
    Well, after a few weeks of focused practice...today he saw me working on the KALI DREAMS intro & said 'you learned to play like that!' I like this style because it reminds me of Michael Hedges. As I practice, I get to concentrating so much that I loose track of time. (My wife came into the room earlier while I was practicing the slaps on guitar. I think I was driving her crazy. ha!)

Question...as I watch Vicki play, it seems so effortless. Whereas I am superfocussed. Any tips? Or is it just time with the techniques?

break down each technique and passage and do them slowly at first until they seem effortless- almost in your sleep. Then practice with a metronome and slowly increase your speed until you have the technique down at faster speeds, but still "effortless". Another tool that I have found very useful is software called "Amazing Slow Downer". It is fantastic for slowing pieces down to whatever speed you want without changing the pitch or the quality. You can take passages and practice with them, slowly increasing your speed as you practice similar to metronome.The ultimate test is to record yourself. Like standing in the mirror naked, you can discover that you need to hold onto notes for their full value and you must have metronomic accuracy to sound like a pro.

Default Effortless-ness....

My 7 years old son saw Vicki playing KALI DREAMS & said 'whhhoooaaa, Daddy why can't you play like that?'. I said 'if I could, I'd be rich & famous!'
    Well, after a few weeks of focused practice...today he saw me working on the KALI DREAMS intro & said 'you learned to play like that!' I like this style because it reminds me of Michael Hedges. As I practice, I get to concentrating so much that I loose track of time. (My wife came into the room earlier while I was practicing the slaps on guitar. I think I was driving her crazy. ha!)

Question...as I watch Vicki play, it seems so effortless. Whereas I am superfocussed. Any tips? Or is it just time with the techniques?
    Hi Guitarbot22,
    I'm so glad you're putting the time in with the techniques! Sounds like you're definitely making progress.
    In my experience, there is nothing that can replace actual 'time on the instrument'...well - there are some theories that seem to support learning while 'imagining' the exact movements, none the less - time will bring effortlessness. One of the key elements however, is to practice without an excess of tension. That goes for your body and your mind.
    Question for you...when you are superfocussed, what's going on in your body? See if you can stay relatively relaxed even while you're so focused. Make sure you're breathing. Relax your jaw.
    In my own practicing I've noticed that short periods of
    superfocussed time followed by doing something completely different, then coming back to the guitar - seems to work very well. You might play around with this too.
    Remember that if you practice while being tense, you may never accomplish a sense of 'ease'. Sometimes this requires ENORMOUS amounts of patience, as you may have to slow things way down in order to play them correctly without too much tension.
    (Nothing new for you if you've got a 7 year old!)

Hope this helps! Tell your son to keep encouraging you!!

-Vicki
    www.vickigenfan.com

Vicki
    I have had some frustration with capturing these techniques live and recording. I have studied the techniques and have incorporated them into my playing. I have some terrific "factory" guitars- a 1967 Matrin D35 w/Brazilian Rosewood and a Taylor 814. Sometimes using an Aura live and two Audio technica 4060 mics in the studio . I have talked to Gray Burchette about even making a guitar for me. Any other suggestions about capturing these sounds live and recording.?
    Thank you again for this course. I am a surgeon that plays out on the weekend and I liken much of this teaching to how we teach our residents how to do operations. Guitar players and young surgeons are both sometimes enamored with speed. At first many surgeries can seem a little overwhelming and very slow, but you break the procedure down into pieces, practice slowly and speed comes later. Thanks again
    scott

Quote Originally Posted by wswilkinson View Post
    Vicki
    I have had some frustration with capturing these techniques live and recording. I have studied the techniques and have incorporated them into my playing. I have some terrific "factory" guitars- a 1967 Matrin D35 w/Brazilian Rosewood and a Taylor 814. Sometimes using an Aura live and two Audio technica 4060 mics in the studio . I have talked to Gray Burchette about even making a guitar for me. Any other suggestions about capturing these sounds live and recording.?
    Thank you again for this course. I am a surgeon that plays out on the weekend and I liken much of this teaching to how we teach our residents how to do operations. Guitar players and young surgeons are both sometimes enamored with speed. At first many surgeries can seem a little overwhelming and very slow, but you break the procedure down into pieces, practice slowly and speed comes later. Thanks again
    scott
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for checking in!
    I've just started using an amazing internal mic system that I highly recommend for getting the most out of this style of playing. It's called the Mini Flex 2 Mic. The details are clearly explained on his website: www.miniflex.com. I'm using the system along with an RMC under the saddle-type piezo. I think the '2 mic' works best when coupled with either a piezo or magnetic pickup.
    Now - one more thing....without seeing you play, I can't know for sure - but I'd like to know if you're really getting the harmonics (the tapped ones) out as clearly and cleanly as possible. If you're attack is slightly 'off', then you may not be getting as loud of a 'bell' sound as you would like. I've found that the 'perfect' harmonic tap comes mostly from hitting at the exact right spot on the fret and being able to 'come off' of the string very quickly. It's not so much about how hard you tap. So double check yourself on this. As for the sounds that come from hitting the actual body, you should find the mini flex to be fantastic at reproducing those sounds in a live setting.
    As for recording...let me get back to you on this. I am extremely lucky to work with an amazing engineer on all my recordings. Her name is Tay Hoyle and her expertise is recording and doing live sound for acoustic instruments. I'll get back to you with some of her suggestions for recording. I know on my double CD she used 7 mics on my guitar!

Thanks for the comparison to teaching surgeons...I like that!

Keep me posted, and I'll get back with you about recording soon...

-Vicki
    www.vickigenfan.com

Quote Originally Posted by vgenfan View Post
    As for recording...let me get back to you on this. I am extremely lucky to work with an amazing engineer on all my recordings. Her name is Tay Hoyle and her expertise is recording and doing live sound for acoustic instruments. I'll get back to you with some of her suggestions for recording. I know on my double CD she used 7 mics on my guitar!
    Wow, I've never heard of using 7 mics to record a guitar.
    Sounds amazing. I would be nervous about making too many little noises.

Vicki:
    Thanks for the tips. very helpful. I have discovered exactly as you discuss that the harmonics do have to be struck just right. Its a challenge when so many other things are happening at a quick pace. You almost have to have a type of "muscle memory" for where those locations are, so that you can reach them, play them in a fraction of a moment, like an athlete remembers where their hands and feet are all the time without even thinking about it and when you have really perfected those memories it feels funny to hit it wrong.
    Your suggestions on the 2 mic system make sense as well because otherwise things sound a little thin. 7 mics sound intimidating, but I can understand why that might be necessary. Thanks again for the course and the blogs. When do you sleep?- or is it another requirement of a guitar super hero that one must go without rest.... scott

Default Lesson #3 - Left Hand Harmonics!

Hey there fellow slappers and harmonic tappers,

I want to focus only on this one video for the moment, as it's a bit of an unusual technique. This is about 'tapping' the 12th fret harmonic with your left middle finger. However, the real mastery of this one small video segment is in integrating the new technique into the small phrases that I show you including thumb slapping and harmonic brushes.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Looking forward.....

-VG
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default Anybody have questions?

Hey folks, seems like we are fizzling out here. If any one has any questions at all - about the techniques or the tunings - give me a shout!! You can always get to me at vgenfan@gmail.com if I'm not responding here.

Maybe at another point in time we can pick it up again if there's interest.

Keep up the great work all of you!!

Cheers until then,

Vicki
    www.vickigenfan.com

Default Not Fizzling out at all!!!

Vicki:
    Please let me reassure you that this course has had a tremendous impact on my playing. I have been living with these pieces and preparing them for performance. Not an easy task but well worth it in terms of having these techniques and teaching becoming part of my musical DNA. I have found for a piece of music or technique to become a part of me, it has to consolidate or ferment in my brain a while- hopefully while I am playing it frequently. DizzY Gelespie would not let his band record a piece until they had lived with it for six months. I have recorded and filmed Kali Dreams and Atomic Shuffle recently.See this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wilkinso.../1/YAvIE2B93T4
    I took a little liberty with the tempo (about 95% speed). It seemed more musical for me. I also took a little different approach to the intro and outro to Kali Dreams- just a little more subtle because it was easier to capture the performance
    You will also see on that link/channel another tune that I have learned written by Alex DeGrassi with similar techniques. I was attracted to learning the piece after digesting the 3D course. I think you will really enjoy seeing the fruits of your teaching and efforts in putting this course together. I know I will always appreciate what you have given us.
    Dr Scott Wilkinson