Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default National Guitar Workshop

Hey all. I am trying to convince my wife's uncle to attend the National Guitar Workshop in Elgin, IL with me this summer. Neither of us are totally convinced that it would be a worthwhile investment in time OR money, so I thought I would check with ya'll. Registration is expensive, but we could save money by not having to pay room and board. I could probably save up the registration fee simply by limiting my daily soda intake.......... Of course, I would then probably spend that money on Truefire courses anyway .

One of the things I am most concerned about is performing on stage at the end of the week, but hey, I have to break through that barrier sooner or later, right?

Has anyone ever attended one of these National Guitar Workshops? If so, which level/course did you take? Was it a good experience for you? Based on your experience would you encourage others to attend?

I look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks in advance.

Rock on..........
    If we do decide to go, I'll make sure to blog my experiences on the forum.

Blog Entries

I look at those brochures every year and have never gone. Not being a huge acoustic guy I usually want to go to the ones in LA with the shred guys but I just can't justify the expense. Sooner or later you owe it to yourself to play on a stage with an audience but be careful....it can be addicting

There is also a place in Ohio called Furpeace Ranch
    Weekend immersion classes noon on Friday till noon on Monday different guests this year include Rory Block, Frank Vignola, G.E.Smith, Tommy Emmanuel (traveling weekend) and others.
    Schedule of events:
    http://furpeaceranch.com/workshops.html

Here is a slide show of the place:
    http://furpeaceranch.com/conferenceCenter.html
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Drive by response.....

Best present my folks ever gave me! I attended the CT campus while in High School and had an incredible week. I'd highly recommend the experience to anyone and would proabably suggest you stay on site to make for better opportunities to socialize.

I attended the CT session (Rockabilly course) when I lived up there 6 years ago. I had a blast. At 40 I was certainly one of the elder statesmen there. Very young crowd. Lots of shredders. Some students were there all Summer long.

It was a group learning atmosphere. Not much one-on-one. Still I benefitted from the experience.

I never went back because I started attending smaller camps (Fur Peace Ranch and Accent on Music). Maxing out at 7 students per teacher is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Gibson View Post
    Drive by response.....

Best present my folks ever gave me! I attended the CT campus while in High School and had an incredible week. I'd highly recommend the experience to anyone and would proabably suggest you stay on site to make for better opportunities to socialize.
    - Jeff

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
    - Carl Sagan

Joe,

I am a bit biased because I work for NGW and I am the Director of the Elgin campus, but here is my input.

Overall, I think that a week at ANY intensive music workshop will help you in ways that just aren't possible just playing out of a book or any online program. A big part of playing music is meeting other musicians and playing and learning from them. I feel NGW is a great example of that.

If you decide to stay off campus, it will be about 1K for 5 full days of workshops, guest artists and concerts every night. Many students have been nervous about performing, but the sense of community has helped them overcome their fears and really have a great time.

I am currently planning the curriculum for NGW and I think the Chicago campus will have something for everyone. Jazz, Blues, Rock and more will all be covered.

Please feel free to contact me at jshadrick@guitarworkshop.com or 800-234-6479 x103 if you have any more specific questions.

Thanks,

Jason Shadrick

p.s. Looks like TrueFire instructor Jeff McErlain will be in Chicago this year too!
    I
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com
    twitter.com/jasonshadrick

Exclamation Classes?

Ok guys, let's go really slow for folks like me who don't "get out that much." What is a CT?
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Sorry. Connecticut. I used to live in Trumbull, CT.

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wvgman View Post
    Ok guys, let's go really slow for folks like me who don't "get out that much." What is a CT?
    - Jeff

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by dakotajoe View Post
    Hey all. I am trying to convince my wife's uncle to attend the National Guitar Workshop in Elgin, IL with me this summer. Neither of us are totally convinced that it would be a worthwhile investment in time OR money, so I thought I would check with ya'll. Registration is expensive, but we could save money by not having to pay room and board. I could probably save up the registration fee simply by limiting my daily soda intake.......... Of course, I would then probably spend that money on Truefire courses anyway .

One of the things I am most concerned about is performing on stage at the end of the week, but hey, I have to break through that barrier sooner or later, right?

Has anyone ever attended one of these National Guitar Workshops? If so, which level/course did you take? Was it a good experience for you? Based on your experience would you encourage others to attend?

I look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks in advance.

Rock on..........
    If we do decide to go, I'll make sure to blog my experiences on the forum.
    Joe,

I am the Director of the Elgin campus. As far as performing on stage, many of our students are tentative about performing, but end up really enjoying it by the end of the week.

Many of our faculty are TrueFire artists as well, so you know that you would be studying with an amazing teacher.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at jshadrick@guitarworkshop.com.

Thanks,
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks all for your input on the NGW. My wife's uncle is backing away due to stage fright I believe, but I have a while to work on him yet. Not sure I'd have the kahunas to do something like this on my own.

Too funny wgvman, I had to go to the National Guitar Workshop to figure out what CT meant too, although it should have been obvious I guess

I checked out the Fur Peace Ranch site and I'd love to do that someday. The cost is high for me right now, but I think the experience would be worth every penny.

I also agree that if I do the NGW it would be better to stay on campus, but my hope is that I can keep the costs down a bit by staying in a nearby cheap motel and eating "hand" sandwichs. That way I could stay on campus as long as I want everynight (if thats possible). I pretty much have to start saving now just to make the change to pay for registration. Those kids you mentioned that stay the whole summer must be growing money on trees..........

Thanks again

Default Hey Jason

You and I must have posted at the same time. Thanks for the information. How cool is it that I can get information direct from the source. Thanks Truefire! I'll be contacting you soon for more information. If you have any tips on how to convince my uncle-in-law to attend with me let me know!

Joe,

One more thing I wanted to turn you and your uncle on to is www.guitarworkshopcommunity.com. That is our website that allows our alumni and people interested in NGW to connect throughout the year.

Feel free to contact anyone on that site for info about what the experience is like.

Keep in touch,
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

Question Oh!

See me have another "duh huh moment." The old postal abbreviation: I should have known. I once had a CT scan of my head, but they could not find anything in there.

Thanks for all the good info guys!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Jason thanks for bringing your expertise into the forum. I am going to have to check out dates etc. I would love to do a week with Jeff as an instructor. Timing is everything though.

It is so cool when your on a forum and you get valuable info direct from the source....really much appreciated. Since you have TF instructors teaching, why don't you put in a few plugs and updates as the summer sessions come together. I am interested, as are others, you are the man for Chicago and I really don't think anyone at TF would mind a little promotion of this nature.

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Blog Entries

Jason, I went to your websites and it seems there is not much info yet on the 2010 events in Chicago.

Will Buddy Guy be back this year? How was he last year. He is a personal favorite of mine
    When abouts do things start getting finalized?

Dakotajoe, while I make no commitment at this time, lets keep in contact. If Jeff Mac and Buddy Guy are there this summer I might take a loan from the mortgage fund and head on up. I will have a car if I go so if able I will be heading out to Buddy Guy's one night and maybe the Chicago Chop House (one of my favorite restaurants of all time)

Cool that you're here Jason!

My experience in CT (Connecticut ) was that most students that were a little apprehensive about getting up on stage gained more confidence when they actually saw others get up and go for it. It's the kindest audience in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonShadrick View Post
    Joe,

I am the Director of the Elgin campus. As far as performing on stage, many of our students are tentative about performing, but end up really enjoying it by the end of the week.

Many of our faculty are TrueFire artists as well, so you know that you would be studying with an amazing teacher.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me at jshadrick@guitarworkshop.com.

Thanks,
    - Jeff

- Carl Sagan

chipstar Guest

Talking Berklee does it too

Berklee has on site training seminars every summer as well. I'm not in Boston but if I had the jack, I'd consider it. Those that I know who've attended felt that they really got something out of it. Just a thought for those in New England or surrounding areas.

later,
    Chipstar

Default Sounds like a plan..........

Hey Wolfboy that sounds like a good plan, I haven't decided if I'll be able to swing it this year or not, but if I do, I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again everyone for letting me know about their personal experiences at NGW and to Jason for providing information direct from the source!

Question A word from a former NGW and Berklee Summer Instructor

Hey guys,

Just doing my rounds and stumbled across this one. NGW is a subject close to my heart as it was a spring board for many things in my career and I made some of my closest friends in the industry there. I did everything there from weekly classes to seminars to clinics to featured performances--I know the gig well. Of course, Berklee was another place of true awesomeness I was lucky enough to be a part of including their summer session. So, I can give you a perspective from a teacher's point of view.

I taught on the infamous "CT" campus for nearly 10 years with one summer off when my youngest was born in '04. To immediately address the stage fright thing: guys, getting on stage at the end of week is what it's all about and there is NOTHING to be afraid of. It's soooooooooo not about that. Yes, it's a young crowd, but the community vibe is strong and the age factor usually isn't one. Out of all the years and hundreds of students I taught there, I'd say less than five were little ****s--funny enough, if memory serves it was the adults that were the problems if there were any! And, never, ever did I experience a moment where any student was made to feel embarrassed about anything. The teachers are 100,000% behind you and want nothing more than to see you love every second of your week there. Seriously. I was there every step of the way and right there on stage as the ensemble played directing/conducting and tweaking amps. As a teacher it was a great thing to see your guys bring it after working your ball off off all week.

As for staying on or off campus: If you can swing it, you gotta stay on campus. There's such a difference between the commuters and the residents. It's a drag to have to either pack a lunch or go off campus with your axe and lose your parking spot. Also every night is a late night and to have get out after 10pm only to drive back somewhere only to get up even earlier to be on campus is a drag. But, hey, the economy blows so if that what it takes, then that's what it takes. One thing if you do stay on campus, be warned: the food usually sucks no matter what they tell you (speaking for CT campus only). Though, I come from a family of incredible Italian cooks so take that with a grain of salt.

Back in the day the week for the "older" guys was Blues week--I'm sure McErlain can attest to that. That's where I got to know Hamburger and Matt Smith. But that setup is history. Regardless, there's a lot to be learned, it's non-stop guitar on a quiet, beautiful campus.

Overall, I look back on my years there and gotta laugh in a good way. I had some GREAT times and played a lot of great music with outstanding players from all over the country. I highly recommend taking classes with Terry Syrek, Dave Martone, James Hogan, Chris Parrello, of course McErlain and Ham (if he still does it), Karen Hogg, Amanda Monaco, Jody Fisher, Kim Perlak, Chris Morrison and George Muscatello. If I left anyone out that I would regret I blame it on the pot (I'm retired, but the aftershock is still there). I can guarantee if you get the right teacher it will change everything for you.

Berklee...

Guitar Sessions is a whole different animal. First, you're in a major city and it's ALIVE that week. Everyone and their grandma come out for the hang so the streets are buzzing. Though, this is pre-economy talk as well--they didn't hire outside guys last summer. And remember, Berklee only does this type of program for one week, so they pull out all the stops. When you attend Guitar Sessions there's one thing NO summer program can compete with and that's the fact that 99% of the Berklee faculty participate in teaching Guitar Sessions. That's a lot of awesome coming at you. Of course, you don't study with them all but the brainpower being generated is intense to say the least.

Together both of these programs will bring you up close with the biggest names in the guitar world, which is really awesome. ****, I loved it as much any student. I got to see everyone from Pat Metheny to Paul Gilbert and got paid to do it!!! woot!

I'm not gonna say any of these summer deals are flawless--did you really think they would be? They have there cons for sure with expensive at the top of the list followed by at times no AC (NGW) and/or no where to park (Berklee) among other annoyances. Also, there's no guarantee you're not gonna get a dud for teacher and that's goes for Berklee, too. And sure, you can get private lessons or a great TrueFire DVD in just about every subject taught at either one, but man--there's nothing like when a guy like David Tronzo or Terry Syrek is standing right into front of letting you in on all his secrets day after day for a whole week. Wow.

Last edited by Chris Buono; 01-28-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo-s
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Blog Entries

I'm guessing you recommend the programs

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    I'm guessing you recommend the programs
    Yes and no. I'm just offering some perspective from someone who stands at the front of the classroom. In regards to NGW, I know that gig inside and out--the good, the bad and the ugly. There's a little of each, but overall it's a great hang IF you make it one.

Go to any of these programs with apprehensions, a shoulder chip or other baggage and, yeah, it will suck. In the end, as I always say: Nothing beats playing with other players. These programs can help guide you through that process if you absolutely can't get off the runway. And, with the right guy, you can learn a lot in a short amount of time.
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Blog Entries

So Chris say I wanted to do this if I have time this summer (iffy) can I request McErlan as my instructor?

Exclamation

Chris since you mentioned Berklee . Thought I'd ask about the online programs . Is it any good . I've looked at it seriously a few times , but was turned off by the online advisor pressure that I got when I inquired . It looks like it would be good , but I wondered about the size of class student ratio and effectivness value . I'm very self driven so working on my own is not an issue .
    Of all the things I've lost
    It's my mind I miss the most

So Chris say I wanted to do this if I have time this summer (iffy) can I request McErlan as my instructor?
    Our NGW classes will be posted in the next week or so. You can sign up for McErlain's seminar specifically. It looks like he will be in DC and Chicago this summer, but look for the official announcement soon.
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

Default Thanks man!

Hey Chris,
    Sorry for the delayed response, its been a long week. I just wanted to thank you for providing an instructors perspective on the NGW and the Berklee Guitar Sessions. It is pretty clear from your comments that you enjoyed your experience teaching at both. I've now heard back from former students, the director and now an instructor and have heard only good things about the experience. The only minor quibble is that being older, I will likely be surrounded by people younger than myself. Given my career, that's not going to be an issue for me, hanging around kids keeps me young (at least in my mind.....). Chris what types of classes did you teach at NGW? Did you teach any of the Core (beginner) sessions? I really have no idea what my skill level is, advanced beginner/low intermediate so not sure which type of session to sign up for, but am assuming that the Core classes would be a good place to start. You mentioned that you taught on the CT campus, do you know if anyone here on Truefire taught at the Elgin, IL campus? I'm not sure if the location makes a difference but thought I should ask anyway.

I have still not made up my mind, but based on the feedback that I have gotten that is no longer because of concerns over whether or not it would be a worthwhile experience, it is pretty clear it would be. It's the finances, once I make sure I can swing it, I am going to sign up even if I have to do it alone. Based on your comments Chris, I think if I can swing it, I'll be aiming to stay on campus as well, so I don't miss out on the night time practice sessions, concerts etc. Wolfboy are you still thinking about going as well? Anyone else?

Chris, thanks again for taking the time to post your comments. Thanks to Jason Shadrick and to everyone else as well. This forum alone makes joining Truefire worthwhile....... Keep rocking!

Default Jason, Quick Question

Hey Jason,
    I was just on the NGW website and I see you have Guest players for the various locations up on the front page. I didn't notice anyone for the IL campus yet, are those going to be up in the next couple of days. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I am thinking about it but my summer plans are on hold at the moment. I have a possible career path deviation on the horizon but I will know next week how my summer tasking will be.

Jason and Chris I really love all the info, thanks guys!

Hey Jason,
    I was just on the NGW website and I see you have Guest players for the various locations up on the front page. I didn't notice anyone for the IL campus yet, are those going to be up in the next couple of days. Thanks!
    I am VERY close to finalizing the guests for IL. It will probably a pretty legendary blues guitar player in addition to a rock/shredder type player.
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

[QUOTE=dakotajoe;38192]Chris what types of classes did you teach at NGW? Did you teach any of the Core (beginner) sessions? I really have no idea what my skill level is, advanced beginner/low intermediate so not sure which type of session to sign up for, but am assuming that the Core classes would be a good place to start. You mentioned that you taught on the CT campus, do you know if anyone here on Truefire taught at the Elgin, IL campus? I'm not sure if the location makes a difference but thought I should ask anyway.

Joe,

I am almost positive (Chris can correct me) that he hasn't been to the IL campus. For the last 5-6 years I have directed that location, so I can give you some quick pros/cons. First the cons:

-Some of the classrooms don't have A/C. We always to try to use these as a last resort, but sometimes we have to use them. For the past few years the weather hasn't been too bad, but if a heat wave breaks out it could be rough.

-There is a bit of walking. It is about a 10-12 minute walk from the dorms to the main performance hall. It is a great walk and gives you a chance to get some exercise each day. No hills to worry about.

Those are the two things I hear students "complain" about over the years. Of course there isn't anything we can do about the walk and we REALLY make a point to not use the non-AC rooms unless we have to.

Now the Pros:

-The dorms. By far the best on campus housing of any NGW location (Austin comes a close second). The University essentially bought a hotel and just renovated some floors into classrooms. There are two students per room (private rooms are available for an extra fee) and each room has a private bath/shower. Just like a hotel.

-This is a great location for students your age. IL tends to be more adult oriented because of all the blues courses, but there are some really great and talented young players that attend.

-Faculty. I think this is a "pro" at every location, but this year our IL faculty is stacked. No matter what style you want to learn we will have an AMAZING instructor working with you all week. I am sure Chris will agree, our faculty is made up of some of the best instructors in the world.

It looks like Jeff McErlain will be teaching a blues course in IL this year. I don't have my notes in front of me, but it will either be focused on the style of the British Blues players or more modern players such as Robben Ford, Scott Henderson and Michael Landau.

I am not trying to give you the "hard sell". We get questions like this all the time in the office and we know for most people this isn't an easy decision considering the financial aspects and the time away from family.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thanks,
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bry50 View Post
    Chris since you mentioned Berklee . Thought I'd ask about the online programs . Is it any good . I've looked at it seriously a few times , but was turned off by the online advisor pressure that I got when I inquired . It looks like it would be good , but I wondered about the size of class student ratio and effectivness value . I'm very self driven so working on my own is not an issue .
    Not sure, I never took one nor did I teach one. I sure did bug Debbie Cavalier (director of that dept.) to lemme in, but to no avail. With 500+ faculty members all having killer resumes it was tough to get put in front of them. Plus, sometimes they pulled in "outsiders". That was frustrating and was a small reason why I left. I would have to have put in x-amount of years before I could do things that I knew (and they knew) I was more than qualified to do. But, hey--it all led me to TrueFire where I'm free to do all of that and more with no one interfering, no paperwork, no grades, etc. ... sorry, I digressed

To comment on the aggressiveness--I hear you. When I first started to try to get in on Berkleemusic I was told to sign up and peruse the class list to see if there's something I could offer they didn't have. By doing that I was in the database and considered a prospect. Holy **** were they persistent at first. Several times I had to fend off phone calls about enrolling reminding them I was brick & mortar faculty.

On the positive side, Berkleemusic.com is one of the most highly regarded on-line schools out there and they work their asses to make that so. I know many of the profs that wrote many of those classes and their some of the best the school has to offer.

Hope that helps and sorry for the rant
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Thumbs down

Chris what types of classes did you teach at NGW? Did you teach any of the Core (beginner) sessions? You mentioned that you taught on the CT campus, do you know if anyone here on Truefire taught at the Elgin, IL campus? I'm not sure if the location makes a difference but thought I should ask anyway.
    My pleasure

I taught just about everything at NGW. From seminars I prepared I improv to completely new programs on music technology to pedal clinics to many of the core classes. I covered metal, blues, rock, jazz, shred, funk--you name it (outside of classical, of course). All levels, too. That's why the guitar educational gravy train has been good. Once something seems covered pretty well, I shift gears towards some else.

Jason can answer the question on if other TrueFire guys have done Chicago. I assume so.

Seeing that I never stepped foot on another campus it's hard for me to comment on that issue. BUT, many of the teachers I know well from NGW past and present have done multiple campuses and from what I gather CT is seen as the hub. It's where NGW got off the ground and it's the largest (I think) campus in the lot. It stages the most programs and it's where the main HQ is located. But, all that really means squat. All it takes is the right guy on whatever campus you go to to make it worthwhile. You drop a line to James Hogan or Dave Martone as they have done many of the campuses and would surely answer your question. Try Amanda Monaco and Jody Fisher too as they has both done Admin work in addition to teaching on other campuses as well. Though, Mr. Shadrick should be able to shed the best light as I assume he's seen them all as an Admin.
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Arrow

[QUOTE=JasonShadrick;38219]

For the last 5-6 years I have directed that location, so I can give you some quick pros/cons. First the cons:
    Well, there you go. You can't get much better than that!
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buono View Post
    Not sure, I never took one nor did I teach one. I sure did bug Debbie Cavalier (director of that dept.) to lemme in, but to no avail. With 500+ faculty members all having killer resumes it was tough to get put in front of them. Plus, sometimes they pulled in "outsiders". That was frustrating and was a small reason why I left. I would have to have put in x-amount of years before I could do things that I knew (and they knew) I was more than qualified to do. But, hey--it all led me to TrueFire where I'm free to do all of that and more with no one interfering, no paperwork, no grades, etc. ... sorry, I digressed

To comment on the aggressiveness--I hear you. When I first started to try to get in on Berkleemusic I was told to sign up and peruse the class list to see if there's something I could offer they didn't have. By doing that I was in the database and considered a prospect. Holy **** were they persistent at first. Several times I had to fend off phone calls about enrolling reminding them I was brick & mortar faculty.

On the positive side, Berkleemusic.com is one of the most highly regarded on-line schools out there and they work their asses to make that so. I know many of the profs that wrote many of those classes and their some of the best the school has to offer.

Hope that helps and sorry for the rant
    Thanks for respopnding Chris . I just thought that maybe you would have a closer view point on Berklee since you did some stuff for them . No worries about the rant ; it's good for the soul to let it out . It is the lack of forced structure that drew me to TrueFire , and apparently has kept me here . Doing the lessons at your own speed with no time deadline is great when you have other demands in your life other than guitar , and of course having such great teachers makes it all the better .
    Of all the things I've lost
    It's my mind I miss the most

I attended the first year in Elgin. The accomodations were excellent and the food was good. I really liked eating with other participants and talking music. Most of the instructors ate separately, but there was this bass teacher (Can't remember his name offhand) who would eat with students and talk music. His advice was excellent and it was like getting an extra lesson.

Cons: My teacher (Jazz for beginners) was just not very good. He was a monster player so it was great to listen to him, but his teaching chops were not up to par. This was NGW's first year and I heard that he was hired just a week or two before the start, so maybe that wouldn't happen again.

Also, there was no set up for afterhours jamming. I hear that was quite different from Ct.

So my advice is that if you are going for a specific teacher, it is likely worth it.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Bry50 View Post
    Thanks for respopnding Chris . I just thought that maybe you would have a closer view point on Berklee since you did some stuff for them . No worries about the rant ; it's good for the soul to let it out . It is the lack of forced structure that drew me to TrueFire , and apparently has kept me here . Doing the lessons at your own speed with no time deadline is great when you have other demands in your life other than guitar , and of course having such great teachers makes it all the better .
    That would have made sense seeing I was full-fledged faculty in the real school, but hey... Berklee changed my life and I met some incredible people along the way both in profs and students.

I love the format here. The openness of the entire vibe here allows me to really do some cool stuff. And, if there's a change that needs to be made, it can be. Glad to be a part of it.
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    I attended the first year in Elgin. The accomodations were excellent and the food was good. I really liked eating with other participants and talking music. Most of the instructors ate separately, but there was this bass teacher (Can't remember his name offhand) who would eat with students and talk music. His advice was excellent and it was like getting an extra lesson.

Cons: My teacher (Jazz for beginners) was just not very good. He was a monster player so it was great to listen to him, but his teaching chops were not up to par. This was NGW's first year and I heard that he was hired just a week or two before the start, so maybe that wouldn't happen again.

Also, there was no set up for afterhours jamming. I hear that was quite different from Ct.

So my advice is that if you are going for a specific teacher, it is likely worth it.

Charles
    Nice. At CT many times lunch was the only time to converge with the other teachers. So we did keep to ourselves but many, many time I burned the midnight 'erl with students out in front of Sheehan (a dorm on campus) and talked shop. Or, we would congregate outside of the main hall where the nightly performances were. Sometimes those talks are loaded with the most info I could give.

About the bunk jazz guy--it happens, but NGW towards my later years got on top of things when it came to this. They would have evaluators go to the classes and if someone wasn't the right fit, they were not asked back. Happened to a student of mine I recommended. He was great, but just not ready for that style of teaching.

the after hours stuff got even better as the years went by where you could reserve a room and basically let loose. Great for students who never really did that at home. That's what it's all about.
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buono View Post
    About the bunk jazz guy--it happens, but NGW towards my later years got on top of things when it came to this. They would have evaluators go to the classes and if someone wasn't the right fit, they were not asked back. Happened to a student of mine I recommended. He was great, but just not ready for that style of teaching.

Hi Chris,

The problem with this way of doing things is that it burns the students/customers who get stuck with the bunk teachers the first time. As indicated upthread, the workshop is not cheap. I, quite frankly, feel that I wasted my time and money and would not go back unless I felt sure that my instructor was going to be great. And that would be hard to do.

Charles

Exclamation

Hi Chris,

The problem with this way of doing things is that it burns the students/customers who get stuck with the bunk teachers the first time. As indicated upthread, the workshop is not cheap. I, quite frankly, feel that I wasted my time and money and would not go back unless I felt sure that my instructor was going to be great. And that would be hard to do.

Charles
    Agreed. But, at the same time, sometimes it's just out of their control. Those last minute hires sometimes are results of having to replace a guy who was supposed to do ti but had to drop out last minute due to whatever dire circumstances that arose. It sucks, but it happens. I think if you calmly, discretely presented a case to NGW there's a good chance they would have had you covered in some way.

Hope it works out for you in the future, Charles.
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Hi Chris,

Charles
    Charles,

Sorry to hear about your experience with one of our faculty. I can assure you since then our process for hiring faculty has become more refined.

If you are interested, I would be happy to discuss in detail any/all of our faculty and give you references for anybody.

Feel free to email me at jshadrick@guitarworkshop.com or give me a call at 800-234-6479 x103

Hope that helps,
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

Hope I am not jumping the gun but her are my NGW dates as it stands now:

July 11 16 British Blues Chicago, IL

June 26 July 1 Atomic Blues McLean, VA

The British Blues class is kinda self explanatory! I am a huge blues fan but my favorite is the Brits take on it. So we will be discussing Clapton, Page, Beck, Greene, Taylor, Moore, Gallagher, and others. I'll cover specific tunes, licks as well as the theory behind what they are doing. Sounds like fun

The Atomic Blues class is an advanced look at the blues. We will dig into the playing of (as Jason mentioned) Robben Ford, Scott Henderson, Mike Landau, John Scofield, Jeff Beck, Larry Carlton, and others. I'll cover modes, chord subs, diminished scales, whole tone scales, chord voicings, arpeggios, chord progressions, licks, grooves, rhythms, and technique. I am really looking forward to this class as well because it is really where my playing is coming from. It is also the topic of my next TrueFire course!

I first started at the NGW in 1988. Ouch! At least I was the youngest faculty member at the time, not anymore! I took a number of years off due to touring and I couldn't commit to to the schedule that far in advance. I have been back for 5 years now and have really been enjoying it. I have had some really great classes and have remained friends with many of my students. I have met some of my best friends at the NGW as well as great players. Here is my "short" list.
    David Hamburger, Angus Clark, Matt Smith, Terry Syrek (I got him the gig!) James Hogan, Harry Jacobson, TF's own Chris Bouno, Adam Levy, to name a very few!

So I hope to see some of you TrueFire peeps, it be great to meet you in person.

Jason is great to deal with.

Blog Entries

Jeff I'm thinking that Atomic Blues course would be awesome! If we sign up do we have you pretty much 9-5 all week? I notice Paul Gilbert will be there that same time frame will he be doing shows, stopping by various clinics etc? I don't see your course listed just something called "Blues Core." Could you possibly explain that and explain how we would get to sign you up as an instructor?

What a pain in the arse I can be.....

Jeff I'm thinking that Atomic Blues course would be awesome! If we sign up do we have you pretty much 9-5 all week? I notice Paul Gilbert will be there that same time frame will he be doing shows, stopping by various clinics etc? I don't see your course listed just something called "Blues Core." Could you possibly explain that and explain how we would get to sign you up as an instructor?

I might be able to help a bit more here than Jeff. We are currently updating the website, so very soon you will be able to sign up specifically for Jeff's course.

This will be a seminar class, which means that you will be with Jeff the whole time from approx. 9-4 each day.

Here is the description that Jeff just sent:

Bring your blues playing into the Atomic age with Jeff McErlain. Jeff will methodically take you through the the scales and techniques you need to super charge your blues playing. Some of the players covered will be Robben Ford, Jeff Beck, Scott Henderson, Michael Landau, John Scofield, and Mike Bloomfield,as well as the classic masters like Clapton, Hendrix, Page and Greene. Learn how to get the most out of your major and minor blues scales, repertoire, arpeggios, modes, diminished scales, whole tone scales, and altered scales. Jeff will also teach you chord progressions and voicings, licks, chord substitutions, grooves, technique, articulation, as well as how to build a great solo. Jeff will also discuss live performance and how to get a great tone.

Paul will be appearing as a guest for the Rock Summit, but his clinic will be open to all the students at the workshop. One afternoon he will give a 2-3 hour appearance in the auditorium on campus. Paul is one of the best clinicians I have ever seen, so I would highly recommend you check him out.

Hope that helps,
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

Yup I will be "yours" pretty much 9-4 I believe! The course should be up soon, I was a bit slow in sending out my outline! To take my class you can enroll online or call the workshop and tell 'em you want my Atomic Blues class.

As far as Gilbert goes,the guest artists usually come in for a day and do a clinic/performance. If he wants to stop into a class that's up to him! But if his clinic is during class time you are welcome to go or if everyone wants to go we can go as a class. And since he is a badass I suggest we do that!
    It'd be great to have you in the class! But I better be on my toes!

Default Ngw...

Hey guys I tought I should chime in on the discussion. I'm senior faculty for NGW and I teach the Full Shred Ahead and Classic Rock Gods seminars. This year 2010 I'll be in Maclean, VA June 26-July 1, our special guest is Paul Gilbert.

I can tell you that after years of experience with NGW it's one of the best opportunities you could ever have to study with some of the best players and teachers around. The faculty and guest artists roster reads like a who's who of great guitar players and teachers.

The Classic Rock Gods seminar offers a look into all the licks and tricks of some of the most influential guitarists in the world of rock guitar. Licks and melodic approaches as used by Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen.

The Full Shred Ahead seminar offers a comprehensive study of all the licks and tricks of the modern shredder. Development of picking and flat-picking skills, and sweep-picking techniques are covered. Both traditional and modern ideas of technical development.

My shortlist of favorite teachers is Aurelian Budynek, Shawn Purcell, James Hogan, Terry Syrek, Jeff Mcerlain, Chris Buono, Amanda Monaco, Matt Smith.

Sorry to hear about your experience with one of our faculty. I can assure you since then our process for hiring faculty has become more refined.
    Thank you Jason. I am sure you are right.

Let me set the frame for my admittedly negative review. I attended NGW's first workshop in the Chicagoland area. I heard that my instructor was a last minute hire. He was not a good teacher, but he was a very nice guy and an absolute monster player.

I have been working in a similar business arena as NGW (but in a different field) for 20 years and this is what I think it takes to be a great teacher at a guitar camp.
    1. good to great guitar ability
    2.ability to teach effectively in a limited format
    3. enthusiasm for teaching

So far, three Truefire/NGW instructors have posted to this thread. A look around Truefire shows that they all have 1,2,3 in spades. They are monster players, they are very effective on their Truefire courses, and all three have heavily participated on this forum demonstrating enormous enthusiasm.

I have no doubt that these three guys would absolutely deliver.

Charles

Default Core Instructors?

Jeff and Beasley thanks to you both for stopping by this thread and posting your insights on NGW. The seminars both of you are teaching this summer sound fantastic, but I am not sure I have the chops to benefit fully from them this year. Of course, I have a few months to buckle down and get serious, so who knows.......
    Jason, do you have a list of the instructors for the Blues Core courses in Elgin this summer, or know if there will be Acoustic Core courses offered there? Thanks for the information!

Jeff and Beasley thanks to you both for stopping by this thread and posting your insights on NGW. The seminars both of you are teaching this summer sound fantastic, but I am not sure I have the chops to benefit fully from them this year. Of course, I have a few months to buckle down and get serious, so who knows.......
    Jason, do you have a list of the instructors for the Blues Core courses in Elgin this summer, or know if there will be Acoustic Core courses offered there? Thanks for the information!
    Joe,

I haven't finalized the core teachers for the campuses quite yet, but usually they don't change too much from year to year. Once we find a great teacher, we don't want to let them go. However, sometimes schedules just don't line up and we need to find someone new.

Here are a few teachers that have taught for us in the past and are very likely to return this year:

John Horne

Mike Cramer

Shawn Purcell

Greg Horne

There will be an acoustic core class offered in IL (and every other campus).

Thanks,
    Jason Shadrick
    Guitarist

Associate Editor
    Premier Guitar Magazine

jasonshadrick.com

Joe,

I haven't finalized the core teachers for the campuses quite yet, but usually they don't change too much from year to year. Once we find a great teacher, we don't want to let them go. However, sometimes schedules just don't line up and we need to find someone new.

Here are a few teachers that have taught for us in the past and are very likely to return this year:

John Horne

Mike Cramer

Shawn Purcell

Greg Horne

There will be an acoustic core class offered in IL (and every other campus).

Thanks,
    All those guys are excellent!

Default Cool!

Hey thanks for the list and the links. Any one of these guys would be great to work with. Looks like it'll be a good year in Elgin!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcerlain View Post
    All those guys are excellent!
    I concur these guys are the bomb!!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jmcerlain View Post
    I have met some of my best friends at the NGW as well as great players. Here is my "short" list.
    David Hamburger, Angus Clark, Matt Smith, Terry Syrek (I got him the gig!) James Hogan, Harry Jacobson, TF's own Chris Bouno, Adam Levy, to name a very few!

So I hope to see some of you TrueFire peeps, it be great to meet you in person.

Jason is great to deal with.
    You got Syrek the gig? Wow, that's some history right there!

I concur, Shadrick is a solid citizen and very easy to deal with. Shoot for him as opposed to other "personalities" that lurk behind the scenes.
    Last edited by Chris Buono; 02-08-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube