Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AyDiosMio View Post
    Aaah /dreamy sigh majoring in Music or Spanish would be like...a dream come true for me. I still regret not getting the minor in Spanish when I was in school for my undergrad.

Keep in mind, you have the rest of your life to join the "real world" follow your dreams, paychecks aren't everything.

Glad to be part of the rocking minority around here women with guitars are hawt! Or so I like to think..lol.

I will pop over to that thread to scope out a free lesson..free is awesome.
    That's exactly how I feel about it. We've got Mimi Fox here http://truefire.com/tftv/?channel=gradsolos&videofile=

We've got Muriel Anderson http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html?...ons&videofile=

And we've got Vicki Genfan http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html?...d_introduction

Smoking guitar ladies every one.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Red face Welcome aboard, AyDiosMio!

First of all, welcome to the forum! I am sure that with your sense of humor and love for guitar and music, you will love this place. We are filled with folks of similar passion and similar time constraints. I am glad you translated your name: I thought at first it meant "goodbye to me." My Spanish skills are virtually non-existent. You had me worried for a second.
    You will find some fellow guitar playing Buckeyes around here too! Gadlaw sent you in the right direction for some great freebies. He is a great fellow to know around here and unless he has spent too much time at the wine festival, he is always helpful. He is actually very helpful and he knows I am kidding with him.
    Great info, great peeps, and a schedule to match whatever you are doing. This place is like a broken drum: you can't beat it! Welcome again!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

The literal translation from Spanish to English is Oh God of Mine.

Thanks for the welcome...go Buckeyes! Graduated from OSU so I'm a definite buckeye here

Post Hallooo from Shallotte, NC

Hello everyone! My name is Sandy, and I'm a guitar-holic. Everybody say "Hi Sandy."

I've been playing off and on for about 20 years now and just learned how to make a bar chord (I'm a sloooooooow learner). I finally got tired of only playing G, C, and D, so at 40 years old I'm buckling down and trying to learn how to play. I play mostly acoustic, although I do plug in my electric every now and then.

I found TrueFire on YouTube while looking for guitar training videos and was really impressed. I'm primarily interested in learning classical and fingerstyle blues, so if y'all have any suggestions on some TrueFire lessons, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Happy Playing!
    Sandy

How you doing Sandy? And welcome. That youtube is bringing a lot of nice folks over this way, gotta love youtube. Well, for fingerstyle blues you can't go wrong with David Hamburger stuff. You can click to here http://truefire.com/tftv/ and look to your left and the course offerings are there by type and by clicking on blues you can see everything that TrueFire has up at this time. The David Hamburger stuff, acoustic Blues, then there is Dirt Road Blues, Bugs Blues, for electric there is West Coast Blues, Bluesology by Brad Carlton, Larry Carlton Blues, 29 Blues Progressions You Can Use, I could go on and on but you can click and see sample videos of all of those courses.
    As for Classical, I know something is in the works. What are you looking for - these guys are always willing to take suggestions. Welcome again Sandy!

Smile

Welcome to the forum Sandy !!

Nice to have you here.
    Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Blog Entries

A couple of belated welcomes...

First AyDiosMio Welcome to a fellow Buckeye! I eventually finished undergrad there as well and now I live close by, over in UA. I can see the cowfields and Horseshoe from my house. Always glad for more women around here...it helps keep the manners inline

Sandy welcome to you as well. After you learn barre chords the sky is the limit and what....it only took 20 years

Nice to have some more new players I hope the forums and TF will be a frequent stop over when browsing the internet. Don't be shy and again....welcome!
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Post Thanks

Thanks, Everyone. Glad to be here. I'll see you around the forums.

Wink Hi Sandy! ;)

Welcome to the forum!!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default Hi Everyone...

Hi Everyone... My name is Phil Johnson and I'm a guitarist (21 years) and teacher. Always like to find new hubs of people talking shop. I get to help out where I can and learn some stuff myself.

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forums! Please let us know if you need anything or have any questions.

Based on your post, I think you are going to like it here.

Blog Entries

Welcome Phil!

Glad to have another instructor here. Tells us more about yourself (if you are up to it). How many students do you have, what ages etc. What kind of music and gear do you play, who do you listen to....all that info that lets us get to know you even more.

I noticed Beboy was the first to welcome you....check out some of the charts in his signature, there are some great potential handouts for your students. I hope you find this place worthy of a bit of your free time and thanks for dropping in

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Red face Welcome to the forum, Phil!

Hope you find this place as much fun as I have. Great resources and great people with a variety of tastes, but all with a love for the guitarl
    Make yourself at home and chime in on any topic.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Red face

I'm new to both TrueFire and the forum. I've really enjoyed the site - especially the videos by David Hamburger.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard the Truefire bus Shawn20 once your on you wont want to get off the best guitar site er in the Galaxy. Don't forget to tell us more of your musical tastes, guitars and gear. If you need any assitance on anything Truefire or on the forum just ask away

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch82 View Post
    Welcome aboard the Truefire bus Shawn20 once your on you wont want to get off the best guitar site er in the Galaxy. Don't forget to tell us more of your musical tastes, guitars and gear. If you need any assitance on anything Truefire or on the forum just ask away

H
    Thanks - I really like rock, blues and jazz guitar in no particular order. I have a Gibson J-200, Gretsch Country Gentleman 62 Reissue, Gretsch Tennessee Rose, and a 64 Reissue 360 Rickenbacker. Again, thanks for the welcome.

Blog Entries

Hi Shawn, Glad you stopped by. TrueFire, both the company and the forum are very friendly. Don't hesitate to jump in with a question or comment, or even just the latest bit of new music you discovered.

[jealousy] Nice little list of some top quality guitars there. [/jealousy]
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Quote Originally Posted by MrGroovy69 View Post
    Thanks, Everyone. Glad to be here. I'll see you around the forums.
    Welcome MrGroovy69! Glad you could join the forum and pleased to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Johnson View Post
    Hi Everyone... My name is Phil Johnson and I'm a guitarist (21 years) and teacher. Always like to find new hubs of people talking shop. I get to help out where I can and learn some stuff myself.
    Welcome to the forum Phil. 21 years old and a teacher as well, that's very impressive. I'm sure we'll enjoy your insights and contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn20 View Post
    I'm new to both TrueFire and the forum. I've really enjoyed the site - especially the videos by David Hamburger.
    Greetings Shawn20. David Hamburger was the first Instructor here that got me to notice TrueFire. Great laid back fellow who explains things and shows how to really get those Acoustic Blues grooving. His recent Blues History posts (that you get notified about when you sign up to the mailing lists, Chop Suey and The TrueFire Insider) have been most excellent, giving the history of an old blues song and showing you the variations that have arisen over time. Most excellent stuff. Make yourself at home, friendly folks all around and we're all glad you could make it.

Blog Entries

Welcome Shawn20!

Those are some awesome axes....what are you playing them through?
    Glad you are here mate, share what you can, ask what you want, explore often and post when you got time....Glad to have you

Ah, the weak link. I am playing my electric guitars through a Fender Princeton Chorus. They deserve much better.

Welcome to the forum Shawn!!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Red face Welcome Shawn and MrGroovy69

Welcome to the forum, guys! This a great place to hang and share guitar info. If you are like me, you get great benefits from it. Friendly, knowledgeable folks on the forum and the TrueFire staff. A great place for all things guitar.

Hey Shawn, I like like those Princeton chorus amps just fine. Yes, there are some "bigger and better" amps out there, but that little Princeton seems to give a lot of bang for the buck. I am just getting to the age where I like anything light in weight. I am a Fender fan and have a 4x10 DeVille and a Blues Junior. I love them, but the DeVille is just too much if I had to haul it around alot. Anyway, all in due time, my friend. A lot of it is a matter of taste too.
    MrGroovy69, I lived in a little SC town about 60 miles south of Charlotte for the first 18 years of my life. Nice area!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn20 View Post
    Ah, the weak link. I am playing my electric guitars through a Fender Princeton Chorus. They deserve much better.
    I was picturing a Fender 4x10 bassman reissue

Get yourself a nice vibro-king and start advertising as a gun for hire, folks will be blown away when you bring in your gear, let alone play.
    I do agree with wvgman, that is a good bang for the buck amp. At 50 I don't feel much like packing out a 4x10 or 2x12 at the end of the night either.

Say hello to an industry standard.

The venerable Fender Vibro-King amp has appeared on countless stages worldwide. This all-tube, completely hand-wired combo amp with birch ply cabinet is covered in black with the appealing "1964 Transitional" Blackface/White knob look. The 60-watt Vibro-King Custom has a pair of powerful 6L6 Groove Tubes for rich, full tone and its sensitivity is unparalleled when it comes to picking dynamics and guitar knob settings. The guitar amp has crystal-clean tones, sparkling reverb, and the commanding overdriven tones are downright inspiring.

Other premium features include '63 Fender Reverb with dwell, mix and tone controls; three 10" Jensen P10R speakers with alnico magnets; 6V6 reverb driver tube; five 12AX7 preamp tubes; heavy-duty textured black vinyl covering with silver grille cloth and nickel hardware; FX loop; and a two-button FAT boost/vibrato footswitch.

Fender Vibro-King Custom 60W 3x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp Features:

* Premium birch cabinet construction
    * Completely all-tube; hand-wired circuit
    * Includes USA-made GT-6L6 GE output tubes
    * Pre-gain '63-style Fender reverb with dwell, mix, and tone—go from mellow to intense "crashing" reverb tone
    * 60 Watts into three Jensen 10" speakers with Alnico magnets

Among the most responsive, touch sensitive Fender amps in the world. Order today.

and only $3499.00 not including the extra cab

There is a slight downside to owning great gear. Everyone looks at the guitars and thinks (rightly so) that the owner must be a cracker-jack. The stores will sell them to anyone - they don't require a test drive - or I would have never made it out the door. However, I am an optimistic sort and hopefully with the help of these excellent lessons - I can improve. Again, this is a great forum - the exchange of ideas is a great education.

Red face The cool in the concept

The cool in the concept is that you can practice up until you fulfill the potential such great instument appear to desire.

Talking Rndy

I'm kinda new here. You people ROCK! It's all about the music Right! Rndy

Blog Entries

Hey Rndy....Welcome, and yes it is

Hi!

My name is Hrvoje Snopek, friends call me Snoop.. I come from Croatia.. I mostly listen to pop/rap/jazz.. Been playing for 6 years now..

My favorite bands are: Freak Kitchen, Coheed and Cambria, Megadeth, Al Jarreau, SleeperCurve, Spice Girls, Jamiroqai, Imogen Heap, John Mayer, Fireball Ministry, Dire Straits, The Darkness, Steely Dan, Temposhark, Phish, Dethklok

I like to watch UFC... aaaand.. that's about it..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    Hi!

My name is Hrvoje Snopek, friends call me Snoop.. I come from Croatia.. I mostly listen to pop/rap/jazz.. Been playing for 6 years now..

My favorite bands are: Freak Kitchen, Coheed and Cambria, Megadeth, Al Jarreau, SleeperCurve, Spice Girls, Jamiroqai, Imogen Heap, John Mayer, Fireball Ministry, Dire Straits, The Darkness, Steely Dan, Temposhark, Phish, Dethklok

Dobrodošli Snoop great to see you adding to the international flavour here at Truefire...cool eclectic taste you have too. What guitar are you playing we have gearheads around here..see you around I just did in Roll Call

H
    Last edited by Hutch82; 12-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch82 View Post
    Dobrodošli Snoop great to see you adding to the international flavour here at Truefire...cool eclectic taste you have too. What guitar are you playing we have gearheads around here..see you around I just did in Roll Call

H
    Thanks for warm welcome :D

I play Yamaha Pacifica 112J and Squier Classic Vibe 50's telecaster.. i know it's not much but that guitars suit me well and I'm really happy with sound i get..

I like to play anything with a groove.. r&b, jazz, blues.. it simply has to groove..

My favorite instructor on truefire is Brad Carlton.. learned so much from him

Thanks for warm welcome :D

I play Yamaha Pacifica 112J and Squier Classic Vibe 50's telecaster.. i know it's not much but that guitars suit me well and I'm really happy with sound i get..

I like to play anything with a groove.. r&b, jazz, blues.. it simply has to groove..

My favorite instructor on truefire is Brad Carlton.. learned so much from him
    Welcome on board Snoop.

Nice guitars, you can cover a lot of sonic ground with them.

I see you like Steely Dan...excellent. Check out Larry Carlton's courses.

Hi!

Most very glad to have you here Snoop. I see you like one of my favorite Jazz dudes - Al Jarreau! The best there is. Looks like you have a wide variety of musical tastes which is great - more stuff to love. And it's always great seeing the Map fill up with more folks from every corner of the globe, we really are an international community and music is the universal language! Welcome aboard Snoop!

Post Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the intro. My name is John. I've been playing the guitar for about forty years or at least trying to play. I think I would have been much further along if I had the TrueFire Player and this learning format forty years ago...but that was bc (before computers.)

I completed David Hamburger's Fingerstyle Handbook 1 & 2. Now I'm working on New School Fingerstyle Blues. Incredible!

I also play the open back clawhammer style banjo and my 15 year old daughter plays the fiddle. We play old-time music.

Just when I thought I reached the end of the Internet I found TrueFire.

Thumbs down Hi John!

Welcome to the forum! I caught your post on the two cents worth thread too. It is good to have you here. We can always enjoy the presence of another banjo player. Now some of these guys like to poke fun at Gadlaw because he loves a good banjo tune, but it is just bantering. Bela Fleck rules! Make yourself at home here around the Fire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flatpickinJohn View Post
    Thanks for the intro. My name is John. I've been playing the guitar for about forty years or at least trying to play. I think I would have been much further along if I had the TrueFire Player and this learning format forty years ago...but that was bc (before computers.)

I completed David Hamburger's Fingerstyle Handbook 1 & 2. Now I'm working on New School Fingerstyle Blues. Incredible!

I also play the open back clawhammer style banjo and my 15 year old daughter plays the fiddle. We play old-time music.

Hello again John glad you found it here...and isn't David Hamburger the coolest cat on the planet. Got a feeling there's some banjo coming next year...

H

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flatpickinJohn View Post

Welcome to the Forum flatpickin' I love David Hamburg's stuff too. I do believe if you keep doing DH's fingerstyle courses you may have to change your name ;)

Music is a great thing to have in a family.

Glad you found us. Stay in touch.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Lightbulb light my TrueFire

I'm long-time admirer of the Brad's dating back to the Notes-on-Call days
    and remember calling to hear the Guitar Player lessons played to me over the phone.
    (I've still got my original audio cassette versions of the Improv Toolkit).

I'm lovin' the instruction offered by TrueFire.
    Cheers!!

Default Welcome guys!

Welcome Snoop, flatpickinJohn, and eshmail!!!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default Rich Smith is new to Truefire and vice versa

Saw a podcast showing Bruce giving a Beginning Jazz lesson so I ordered the course. For the past three years I've been immersed in instrument building (ukuleles and guitars). So I've been a regular on various luthier forums. My music interest has been playing slack key guitar and ukulele with a local Hawaiian music group. Most of my playing has been in open G - we call Taropatch and a lot of other weird tunings.

Before I cut off my fingers, I am quitting the instrument building and learn how to play blues and jazz.

I see there is a wealth of information here and I've already gotten a lot of help from Gadlaw. The CAGED patterns for pentatonic scales didn't make a lot of sense to me until I got help from Gadlaw and his thread on Pentatonic scales. Wished I had found you guys sooner. I look forward to learning a lot from Truefire.
    Aloha

www.likekestrings.com
    www.likekestrings.com
    Practice Aloha

Wink

Welcome Rich!

I have enjoyed looking at the various instruments you have made. Very beautiful and high quality for sure.

Thanks for introducing yourself and we hope you enjoy the forum!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Red face Aloha, Rich!

Glad that you did find the TrueFire site and the forum. We are all delighted to have you on board. Hang out, have fun, and make yourself at home. You make some nice looking instruments, my friend!
    Glad you are here!

Unhappy Hello All

Hi everyone, I'm Jeff. Yup, I'm an 'oldie'. Played in bands back in the late 60's & early 70's. I developed a serious condition known as, domesticaicemia . After thirty five years, I've managed a full recovery... Now, It's time to play

Learning new stuff has been great thanks to the technology and TrueFire!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums Prevaler! Glad to have you stop in and sit a spell.

I'm from Manchester, England, I'm working through Fingerboard Breakthrough, Modes That Matter and Funk Fission.

I'm starting to think that Howard Morgen is my fairy godfather and my fingers are about to fall off, so I thought best take a break and share my early experiences with these courses.

I played for decades without knowing or wanting to know how the fretboard works or what notes I'm playing. I watched guitarists learn that stuff and become self-indulgent twiddlers like their heroes. My heroes were people like Johnny Marr, George Harrison, Curtis Mayfield, Nile Rogers, Burt Jansch, Neil Young; players who understood the greater beauty of the song and devoted their magic to it.

Then I realised that playing chord harmony was where I'd always been heading. I needed to understand the fretboard. I knew the theory and the notes but the fretboard remained a mystery. I tackled it countless times and was defeated by my scrambled diagrams, jazz books that demanded I memorize thousands of chord combinations, youtube videos with easy answers, etc.

Then I tried Howard Morgen's Fingerboard Breakthrough. How cheesy does that sound? Its true though. Its not impossible after all. This lovely guy can explain how it works, bit by bit, and another world of beauty is opened up! Don't let the 'Danny Boy' intro fool you, it isn't flashy but this is the entrance to the matrix!

Chris Buono likewise has persuaded me that technique and knowledge can enhance instinct and musicality rather than destroy it.

Clever guys! I feel like I'm learning a new instrument.

Blog Entries

Welcome to Truefire cinder cherman make yourself at home, you mentioned Curtis...you have my attention

Nice to see another funk fan onboard and I'm only 60 odd miles down the road.

H

Red face Welcome aboard, cherman!

It sounds like you have discovered the magic kingdom. It is great to learn from these guys and I especially like the ones you have mentioned. There really are some master music magicians at TrueFire and I, like you and many others, want to be a sorceror's apprentice! (I must have dreamed about a Walt Disney movie last night!?) Glad to have you on the forum. Hang out, have fun, and make yourself at home.

Blog Entries

Welcome cinder cherman

That is one of the best intro statements I have read here. You summed up the Howard Morgan experience perfectly....I have to do that course all the way through.

Chris puts out courses faster than I can work through them. When I first joined up at TF Brad Carlton was truly the fretboard king but Truefire has stepped up it's offerings in the last 2 years and really put out some magnificant videos by other would be kings. Howard is a legend, Chris will be and Brad is sharing the throne a bit these days.

Glad you stopped in cinder cherman . Hutch is a great contributor here, you two should look each other up and share a pint.

Cheers for the welcome guys. Magic kingdom indeed. The range of styles... I need to lock myself away with these 3 courses before starting any more. Although dipping into the occasional taster lesson of a style I'd never play is somehow fantastically useful. Sometimes a total change of scene does the trick.

@hutch
    Yes its always good to find a fan of Curtis isn't it? Its also lovely to discover that his guitar playing is acknowledged as an key influence on Hendrix and others. In the UK, IMHO, outside the world of soul aficionados he seems too little known, or a byword for ironic blaxsploitation jokes, which hardly befits the man.

I've had a break from Howard, to get it under my fingers, now I'm going back down the rabbit hole...

Happy playing
    Last edited by cinder cherman; 02-18-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Talking

I'm Mark and I stumbled on Truefire when I saw the 50 Funk licks on YouTube. I'm in my 40s and I just started taking guitar lessons, although I've been studying guitar stuff and theory for years. Now I'm taking it from my head to my hands...
    Mark Mende
    FSR Ash Tele
    Powerhouse Strat
    Ibanez S470

Red face Hi Mark!

Saw your post in the Two Cents Worth thread. Glad you are here and hope you enjoy all TrueFire has to offer. THis is a super place for guitar lovers!