Default King of the blues

KING OF THE BLUES
    (for at least the next few weeks)

As a guitar player, it's hard to blow your own horn, but....

I wanted to let anyone interested know that I won the preliminary competition in my local Guitar Center's KING OF THE BLUES contest last week.

It's just the first round, and I only bested nine other players, but what a nice boost to my self esteem and I plan on enjoying my reign for at least the next two weeks when the next round of play-offs occurs.

Seriously, it's been a lot of fun so far. Never thought I'd win even one round and frankly, the judging methodology is seriously flawed, but who cares? Not me!!!

Anybody else partciaipate. Thoughts??

Dr Rick

Congrats DrRick!!!!!

Great job!!!

I'm curious why do you think the judging is flawed, because I wanna try this contest in the future.
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Blog Entries

Very Cool!

I never even looked into it here but I did download all the backing tracks....which one did you use Doc?
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Default Who Me???

Quote Originally Posted by jimiclaptoncarl View Post
    Congrats DrRick!!!!!

Great job!!!

I'm curious why do you think the judging is flawed, because I wanna try this contest in the future.
    The quick answer would be that the judging was flawed because I won. Haha!

I hung out with one of the judges, and he just didn't seem to be too savvy. Also, I had a friend and a brother who competed at other stores and are FABulous & they didn't win. Anecdotal, I know.

Don't mean to take anything away from theprocess. It's been a blast so far & I'd encourage everyone to do it. A good experience!

Rick

Default Great Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    Very Cool!

I never even looked into it here but I did download all the backing tracks....which one did you use Doc?
    Good point. The tracks were really very cool & they're available to all on the wensite.

I used "Little Girl Shuffle," and I think it went a long way to helping me win. It's very upbeat with a lot of stops and diminished chords. Most of the contestants used A Minor Blues, which struck me as dull and a real downer.

Rick

SO what happens in two weeks there King? And what is your prize for being the King for these two weeks? And - Congratulations are in order! Proving once again that hard work doing something you love can pay off twice. First time on account of just loving what you're doing then the second time every time other people notice how good you are. Awesome sir.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

Congrats Dr Rick

Are you allowed to extend your reign after the 2 weeks are up?

Yes or no... nice going.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Congrats! maybe next time you would have a duel with Andy Aledort!

Once again congrats.

Here is a tune for you

http://www.archive.org/details/Souldiggers2007-08-03

Track 19 "Feel Like A King" some nice ideas for you.

Great free live concert site

Check out "Rule The World" as well, can't get the chords...

Both tracks are off Geoff's cd "Little Big Men" cdbaby have it and there is a long interview with him on www.salty.com.au
    Last edited by Leedelta; 09-01-2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: shameless plugging of a favorite artist

Congrats!! Any accomplishment is a valid stepping stone! I think you are being your own worst critic, something most of us do, I think you won because you deserved to win!

I downloaded the tracks and think they are great tracks!

Congratulations DrRick!

I can't wait to see what happens next. I bet you did an awesome job.