Thread: Home again...

Default Home again...

Whew! Just returned from a bit of travel with the band. We do a yearly event in Ft. Lauderdale called Hukilau. It's always a ton of fun, and this year was possibly the best yet!

Here are a few vids shot by a new bud, Unsteady Freddie, from our Friday night set just before Los Straitjackets (they kick ass!). There are also cool vids of Los Straijackets and our best buds, The Intoxicators (Tallahassee) - be sure to give them a listen if'n Surf Guitar is your thing. Dig it!

JG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaEKvUrIjog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O3dJng3mpw

Blog Entries

Cool vids Josh. Thanks - You guys sounds great... nice playing!!! I thought you were a swing band... !!! You make me feel like surfin' now.

Did you hear that Bob Bogle the founder of The Ventures - passed away this past weekend? It may be hard to believe but he was 75 years old.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Thanks Jestme - glad you liked it. Nah, we're just a band - genre distinctions mean nothing to us. There are 2 kinds of music - good and bad. All of that other crap only serves to (poorly) categorize record stores. Not that I'm cynical or anything.....:mad:

Bummer about Bogle - I know alot of dudes who are mourning his loss. Tey made quite and impact on the guitar world. RIP Bob.

JG

Blog Entries

Wow that was a fun set.
    Playin surf music poolside in Hawaiian shirts with 10ft tall Tikki gods behind you...really does it get any better

Also loved the "Godfather" theme ending on medley #2 I might have to steal that idea from you in the future (with all due credit of course).

Nice vids, thanks for sharing.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Thanks, Wolf! No worries - I probably stole the ending from someone else, so it's all good!

JG

Blog Entries

Since you are online I also want to thank you again for that rebndition of "Take 5" you posted awhile back. It's in my repitoire and I quite enjoy playing it. Now I got to learn the sax solo

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Sparkly Tele and a cameraman called "Unsteady Freddie" how cool is that.

Looks like it was a fun night.

A course on Surf and Rock N Roll guitar would be nice

Blog Entries

Lee that's a very good point. A Surf Rock course and Josh, quite obviosly, is just the man for the job. A lot of geezers like me who grew up back in the halycon days of surf rock would love a course.

Default Awesomely cool

Just watched the first video - gave it five stars and a comment (cause that's how friends roll) - Although in rehearsal youall could have tightened up the 'TEQUILA!' shout.

Looking at my ten dollar Tiki on the wall, Tiki is good.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

10. Default

Hey Wolf - I'm so glad that Take 5 worked out for you. Come back with some licks from that solo and we can talk about what's going on, if you'd like.

FWIW - We're Surf influenced - but not *really* Surf by the traditional definition - it's a somewhat touchy subject amongst the real die-hard fans of the style. From our perspective, it's all just music.

I would be psyched to do something along the lines of a Surf/Instrumental course. Make enough noise and it'll happen.

JG

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    Just watched the first video - gave it five stars and a comment (cause that's how friends roll) - Although in rehearsal youall could have tightened up the 'TEQUILA!' shout.

Looking at my ten dollar Tiki on the wall, Tiki is good.
    Ha! We sing "Tequila' in about 7 languages.....Saki, Ouzo, Jagermeister, you get the idea.....got any more we can add to the list?

After a few heavy rum drinks, we're all hollering in different 'languages'....

That explains that. Just finished watching the other video, wow - you're zooming along there like lightning. How many drinks can the only guitarist in a trio have and still be able to play like that?
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw