1. Question Answers, questions and some inside scoop

Hey all! Brad Wendkos from TrueFire here with a few bits of info addressing many of the recent posts.

Basically want to tell you what's coming down the pike, much of which will answer many of the questions posted in this forum. Also want to ask (ok, plead …) that you take a moment or two to give me a little feedback just to make sure we're on the right track. So please chime in!

First up …

TrueFire’s Larry Carlton 335 BLUES course will launch shortly. This is the first course Larry has produced with anyone for about 20 years now. I am, always have been, and always will be a fanatic for just about anything Larry Carlton does. This cat is definitely my personal guitar hero. And as far as I’m concerned, he plays the blues like nobody's business. So, imagine how I must have felt when Larry agreed to do a TrueFire blues course. Now picture me two feet away from him in the studio for nine days worth of sessions feebly attempting to “produce” him and the course. Straight up, I couldn’t speak an intelligent sentence for the first two days. I was (and still am) in awe. Thanks to the quality of person he is, I was able to settle in by the third day and together we produced (dare I say it?) the most significant blues course in TrueFire’s history (in fact, I’ll put this one up against any instructional anywhere by anyone). Larry covers how to approach rhythm, improvisation and soloing over 8 different blues grooves. He also discusses and demonstrates a variety of techniques, tone tweaking and general approaches for “thinking like an arranger”, connecting with the audience and generally how to develop into a better musician. He also plays his proverbial off! Open up a new browser immediately, go to www.mr335.tv (we built that for him!) and check out the channel labeled “335 Blues” for a taste of this course. IMO, Larry’s solo over this Stormy Monday-like blues is as close to perfection as they come (and yes, all of the musical examples are tabbed out, you get all of the rhythm section tracks and all of the rhythm and solo parts broken down by Mr 335 himself.). The course consists of 60 interactive video lessons, is presented in our player and will likely be bundled with a CD and a DVD recorded live in Tokyo with Robben Ford. The bundle will go for $99 for TrueFire members for the first ten days and then list at $125. Tell me what you think!

Next item of interest …

We’re within 60 days of launching a new technology platform and instructional program that will allow students to enroll in a variety of interactive video courses with weekly installments of material delivered directly to their desktop. Most of the study programs will be ten week lesson plans, focused on a particular subject and optimized for a particular level of play (ex. Blues soloing for early intermediate players). The majority of the material will be pulled from our ever-growing library of interactive videos (over 6,000 presently), however, a lesson plan overlay will guide the student through the material suggesting practice regimens and offering additional insight. Because the curriculum will be delivered digitally (no packaging, shipping, etc.) we will be able to offer extremely low tuitions making TrueFire more affordable for a wider range of folks. The new program will also directly address those of you who prefer a specific lesson plan and regimen rather than the feeding frenzy you get on TrueFire’s All Access TV. Coolest part is the delivery mechanism – the new tool will download all of the assets and compile our player software on the fly! Lots of other handy features and preference controls as well. Tell me what you think!

Another diddie …

A new home page is in the works. But it’s really much more than that. We’re creating an interface that will serve up a variety of handy tools and daily material to work with. One of the biggest challenges of working with TrueFire stuff is navigating through the 20,000 bits and bytes we have in the library and figuring out where to dig in. We’re hoping this will help and at the same time provide a suitable hang when you’re practicing or just in plain old guitar mode. Here’s what we have planned at the moment; a daily video lesson, a daily gear video demo, a daily performance video, a metronome, a tuner, a daily jam track, a daily tab, a daily audio lesson, a daily guitar-centric radio program, daily guitar-centric news and a bunch of quick links to guide folks to various parts of TrueFire. Essentially, we’re taking all of the different things we already do, and putting them all in one place with a daily taste. All in all plenty to give you busy for the day and, if someone wants more of a particular thing, they can drill down deeper. Tell me what you think! And tell me what else should be there!

One more possibility …

We have several thousand interactive audio lessons up on TrueFire at the moment. Most if them have tab and power tab. We’re seriously considering giving members free access to ALL of them (except the self-published ones which we do not own). We’d rig it so you could stream the entire audio lesson and open the tab right on the page (downloading would still carry a charge) so you could work with any of them instantly and easily. Our objective is to make the main TrueFire site more of a practice joint and less of a catalog where you just sample content and order. This combined with TrueFire TV might just be the ticket we’re looking for. Tell me what you think!

So, there you have it, our current vision and stream of consciousness. Your turn …

Thanks! Brad
    Last edited by Brad; 09-27-2007 at 01:37 AM.

2. Smile OH, and live webcasts too!

we're planning to start doing some live webcasts also. stuff like ...

- when we have an artist in the studio working on a new course
    - broadcast live from some of the namm events
    - broadcast from various events like all star guitar night etc.
    - special seminars with educators and artists.

what do you think? what else makes sense for a webcast?

chipstar Guest

Question Yes... please

Uh, wow. This sounds amazing. I'm curious to know how the currrent TFU level 2 students would be affected. Will we have full access to this new material as well? I like everything that you've stated. Most excellent! Perhaps a webcast of some of software demos may be nice. I realize that you can go to YouTube and see demos of guitar related software but it doesn't really 'live and breathe'. That is to say that the content is canned and rehearsed. It would be cool if for instance, we had a Guitar Rig 3 session where members could pose questions and see things demonstrated in realtime. Obviously, the session could then be posted on TrueFire TV for other users to check out in the future.

Just some thoughts. I may post more.

thanks for the update,
    Chipstar

I lOVE TRUEFIRE , I cant be waiting for all this. When can I order Larrys lessons ? One problem though ... When will I have the time to go to my work ?

Congratulations Brad whit these actions.

Kind regards,
    Willem

Blog Entries

Must reread this a few times....it sounds awesome but I'm not sure what is available for members and for those of us who aren't members but purchase an occassional course. I'm off to work and will reread later.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

That's a lot of good stuff. I'm looking forward to it.

7. Thumbs down Level 2, Level 1 students and Free members

a lot of the new stuff will be free to all. the new lesson plans will also be available on All Access TV for Level 1 and Level 2 however, we havent figured out how to work in the desktop compiler thing although we really want to put this in the hands of Level 2 students for sure somehow, someway. will keep you posted as we get closer. thats for the feedback so far!

Thumbs up

If I do not see you in the Mr. Carlton instructional package, I'll still keep you in mind, Brad, for knowing of your production involvement. Have a super weekend!!
    Ray, in Memphis

WOW! Thats some awesome stuff sign me up for the Carlton set. Brad I was wondering whats happening with David Hamburger lately I was really hoping he would continue in a Alchemy Architect kind of series.

Default great things

These all sound like great additions to what is already a great guitar website.

I look forward to the new additions.

Could we expect to see TrueFire become more community like? you know profile pages with bio, pics, vids, mp3 files of our playing? friends list?

11. Cool David Hamburger

David's coming in mid-october and having just completed a couple of begginner courses for us which are due out soon, we're going back to the alchemy vibe - gonna be killer.

we're thinking about webcasting some of sessions when artists come out to shoot. would anybody be interested in that tho?

chipstar Guest

Question Oh yeah!

I dig Dave. I'd be all over that. I appreciate the heads up.

later,
    Chipstar

Thumbs up

Hello All!!

This is my first post since I just signed up for some lessons over the weekend! All sounds great. I personally like the TrueFire TV and do agree that there is so much stuff. I had to sift through to pick what I wanted to start working on. Tailored lessons would be awesome!

BTW, side note, Brad Carlton's teaching is amazing. I'm sticking with this guy as my new guitar teacher, although the Larry Carlton Blues lessons sound great!!

Default webcast

I really dig Daves' stuff I'll be all over that when it comes out. A webcast with Dave would be great also. Would we be able to ask him questions in real time or be able to submit questions before the webcast?

15. Smile Webcasts

yes, a portion of the webcast would be open for q&a.

Lightbulb

Wow, can't wait for the new and improved Truefire.

I'm really digging all the content on Truefire. I've been doing a LOT of woodshedding ever since I've joined Truefire.
    I have to second the notion on Brad Carlton, that guy is one amazing instructor!

I am just curious though, how many active (paying) subscribers does Truefire have ? I mean, where are all of us hiding ? Would be nice to see more user forum activity.
    There's no real way to gauge the size of the community here.

Thumbs up Truefire, keep up the good work!

-Tone.

17. Lightbulb Any jazzers out there? Webcast at Jazz Improv

let me know fi anybody's interested in checking out a test webcast. We'll be doing one at the Jazz Improv convention in NYC next week.

please let me know! I'd love to check it out!
    Red

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    let me know fi anybody's interested in checking out a test webcast...
    Sure, please let me know. I'd love to check it out.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

I'm in for a test run. I have alot of the Truefire Jazz courses (Mimi Fox and Robert Conti. etc)/

I'm up for it

Blog Entries

Count me in as well
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

sounds great, as I have stated in another post I would like to have the option to buy course and have them downloaded to my PC. At this stage in my playing I don't think I would get the benefit of the student packages,and from what I understand, and I may be wrong, is that all lessons downloaded as a member can no longer be accessed after membership lapses.
    I don't mind paying the $55-$75 price tags but as I live in the UK anything over £17 UK gets taxed at 40%, that kind of bumps up the price, so direct download would be great
    thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevestarr123
    At this stage in my playing I don't think I would get the benefit of the student packages,and from what I understand, and I may be wrong, is that all lessons downloaded as a member can no longer be accessed after membership lapses.
    Here's how it works.

If you pay $20 per month you get to watch all of the videos online. You don't get to download them and you can only watch them as long as you are a member.
    After a year you will have spent $240. You won't have any CD-roms to keep, but it is still cheaper than guitar lessons from a teacher.

If you pay $30 per month you get the same as above plus:
    A CD-Rom every month, which you get to keep;
    3 bonus CD-Roms for joining, which you get to keep;
    A CD-Rom with 100 blues jam tracks, which you get to keep; and
    You also get up to a 43% discount off of Truefire courses (if you combine the 25% student discount with the 25% TrueFire cash discount).

After a year you will have spent $360 and you'll have 16 CD-roms to keep (12 monthly + 3 bonus + 1 jam tracks)

http://truefire.com/join.html

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...now if I can only avoid the importation taxes on my orders and my monthly dvd's.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards the $29.99

Default Carlton set

Brad you got us frothing at the mouth for that Carlton course. Any idea of the release date and are we going to get a post when it hits? I'm already working on the stormy monday tune what a tasty solo.

27. Cool New Larry Carlton Course

Quote Originally Posted by no disclaimer
    Brad you got us frothing at the mouth for that Carlton course. Any idea of the release date and are we going to get a post when it hits? I'm already working on the stormy monday tune what a tasty solo.

check out new thread for more details on the new larry carlrton course

any info on the webcast?

So what is up with the inside scoop? It is way past 60 days...I've been away a bit and would like to find out :confused: what has changed?

Now that the holidays are behind us I think we'll start hearing some info on the new things happening here at TrueFire

Default what's new

After alot of promises I haven't seen anything new at the site and it's getting kind of old waiting. You got us visiting this site alot over the last few months but nothing has happened. What gives?

Default good things come to those who are patient

I understand how it feels to wait for something and wonder if it will ever happen, But I also understand what is involved in getting some of these things happening, a lot of good people are working their butts off to make TrueFire a great place to learn and to bring new features to enhance the learning experience! One thing I can honestly say is that these folks produce! We just have to understand Great Ideas take time to develop into functionality!

Enough said!
    see the thread labeled "New! TrueFire Studio Wire" for info on some very cool new things coming in the next few weeks (yes! I put a parameter on the time factor). There will be instructions for those who would like to participate!

Quote Originally Posted by slasner View Post
    I understand how it feels to wait for something and wonder if it will ever happen, But I also understand what is involved in getting some of these things happening, a lot of good people are working their butts off to make TrueFire a great place to learn and to bring new features to enhance the learning experience! One thing I can honestly say is that these folks produce! We just have to understand Great Ideas take time to develop into functionality!

Enough said!
    see the thread labeled "New! TrueFire Studio Wire" for info on some very cool new things coming in the next few weeks (yes! I put a parameter on the time factor). There will be instructions for those who would like to participate!
    Interesting how things have gone way beyond the expanding vision of 2008 - waiting for that first Larry Carlton Course, new site, easier access to all the materials for members, just tons and tons of new Courses that I don't know anyone could have imagined. Not to mention going out into courses for other instruments and now at the edge of yet a new way to learn coming from TrueFire. Amazing the differences just a few years will make.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw