Default Can Guitar Pro files be converted to PowerTab

Can I take a a Guitar Pro 5 file I made and convert it into a PowerTab file?

Is there a way to Open a Guitar Pro file using PowerTab? Or to copy & paste it somehow?

Thats a good question. I'm not all that familiar with power Tab. I prefer Guitar Pro. I have seen features of Guitar Pro that would convert the ASCII text tabs people make into Guitar Pro files, not sure how well it works, but as I said, I'm not familiar with Power Tab. Let me do some research for you and I'll see what I can come up with.

Here is what I came up with BeBoy. Keep in mind that this is probably not the best way to do things. I just tinkered around a bit until I came up with the following...

When I opened Power Tab and went to import, I noticed that that only option I had for importing was a MIDI file. I then opened Guitar Pro and selected a tab file to work with and then exported it into a MIDI file. I was then able to import that MIDI file in Power Tab.

I would say any percussion tracks that may be in your GP tab should be deleted. You can delete the tracks you don't want to work with by selecting the track and clicking on track in the file menu, and then selecting delete. This can also be accomplished by pressing and holding Shift + Control + Delete. Once you have your GP tab down to the number of tracks you want to convert into a PT file, select file, export and then midi. Enter the file name and folder you wish to save the MIDI file to.

Once this is done, open Power Tab, click on file > Import > MIDI. Select the MIDI file that you exported from Guitar Pro. This will bring up a small wizard that will walk you through a few steps. The first step is selecting which score you wish to import the MIDI file to, e.g. the current score, a new score, etc. Select next.

Step 2 has an option where you can select whether you want this imported to a guitar or bass track. More than likely you will select guitar by placing a check mark in the guitar score box. Select next.

Step 3 is info regarding the tuning, etc. Everything here should be o.k. by default. Select finish. you should now have your Guitar Pro score imported into Power Tab.

I did lose some of the formatting of the original tab, such as ties, triplets, etc. Give this a try and let me know how it works out for you. If you have any questions, I will take some screenshots and repost this with a little more detail. I hope this works out for you.

John
    Last edited by jrhoden; 03-21-2009 at 04:58 PM.

You are most welcome. I'm glad I was able to help. As I said, I'm not sure thats the best way to do things.

I also noticed while playing around that there is a feature that allows you to export tabs into ASCII text. This is the format that you see at a lot of the guitar tab web sites. Something like this would be formatted like:

--3----
    --0----
    --0----
    --2----
    --3----

I'm going to have to play around with Guitar Pro and Power Tab and see what other things you can do.
    Last edited by jrhoden; 03-21-2009 at 06:35 PM.

It didn't work as good as I hoped it would. The tones were converted from GuitarPro to PowerTab just fine but PowerTab created its own TAB, which was different than I had in GuitarPro. For instance if GuitarPro TAB showed a note as 5th fret of the Second string, PowerTab would convert it to Open First string. With hindsight I can understand why MIDI doesn't care about TAB.