Blog Entries

Default Sunday Afternoon?

Well it's 55 in the sun here and almost all of the snow has melted. I'm taking a break from picking up 2 months of dog dodo (3 dogs) and came in to check my computer operations. So, anybody playing/practicing this afternoon? What are you working on? I need some guitar motivation. Band practice Friday night was okay but I'm kind of bored with it....our new singer has had to miss the last two practices. I'm debating what to do guitar wise this evening.

After recovering from a massive HD crash I've all had the reconstruction project going all weekend. Right now my new 1 TB back-up drive is being reformatted from FAT32 to NFTS so I can use Windows back-up. I'm rambling....somebody motivate me
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Hi WB,
    dark and cold here and evening now, was working on Tequila Sunrise from the Lick Library DVD and on the version of Orleans' Still The One that BKB sent me......was in the mood for some good old 70's/80's country rock.
    Have a good day
    Steve

I was at chuirch today and it was requested that I sign up for a praise service and play something on guitar. Do them people never learn? Last time I got on stage I froze up, got nervous and things did not go well. In any case, I think me and one of the ladies from church will end up playing amazing grace.

So, here soon I will start practicing. I will probably play the melody and she will play rhythm. If anyone has some input on how I can dress things up a bit so it doesn't sound so mundane, I would appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrhoden
    I was at chuirch today and it was requested that I sign up for a praise service and play something on guitar. Do them people never learn? Last time I got on stage I froze up, got nervous and things did not go well. In any case, I think me and one of the ladies from church will end up playing amazing grace.

So, here soon I will start practicing. I will probably play the melody and she will play rhythm. If anyone has some input on how I can dress things up a bit so it doesn't sound so mundane, I would appreciate it.
    Check out Tim Sparks course. He has a spirited fingerstyle version of Amazing Grace in dropped-D. That might give you some ideas and thoughts.

I get nervous on stage as well and have thought of playing a fingerstyle hymn arrangement at church... Thus far I've worked on As the Deer and Amazing Grace... Neither of them are quite ready for prime time. One day they will be and I won't have any excuse then.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

tangoman Guest

People here in the mountains of Puerto Rico were complaining how cold it was this morning. Hey, it must have gone all the way down to 61. Suicide territory in these parts. Comments about the most "frigid" winter in years are common. Heh, heh.

About motivation, I revisited Signe by Clapton last night. Pulled out the sheets to make sure Im playing it right. As most of you know it has very similar parts with some small variations. I like to play these type songs since they dont have lyrics and I cant sing jingle bells.

Tangoman

Blog Entries

>>I'm taking a break from picking up 2 months of dog dodo (3 dogs)

That's too funny. I have two big girls and the piles are getting really high. Here in NJ there is still some ice and I am still healing from a broken foot, so I am not taking any chances.
    now trying to break 1900.

Blog Entries

Finished the dog business then fell asleep watching taped episodes of "Fringe" now I'm going to pick a course and start in

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Bekaybe Guest

As fate would have it, I too was picking up the pounds of dog doo my yard has acquired in the winter months on Sunday. Being that I've been ill since Thursday, doing so was about all I could handle before returning to my perch on the porcelain throne... where I worked on scales, intervals, and technique... (Yes, that means I was playing the guitar whilst on the crapper)

Blog Entries

You tell me you do that but I really don't want to know

Bekaybe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1
    You tell me you do that but I really don't want to know
    I doubt I'm the only one....

Just one of the few who'd admit doing it...

Besides, if you're gonna be detained for a while, may as well get some work done.

Blog Entries

I have several editions of

These keep me entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhoden
    I was at church today and it was requested that I sign up for a praise service and play something on guitar. Do them people never learn? Last time I got on stage I froze up, got nervous and things did not go well. In any case, I think me and one of the ladies from church will end up playing amazing grace.

So, here soon I will start practicing.
    I will probably play the melody and she will play rhythm. If anyone has some input on how I can dress things up a bit so it doesn't sound so mundane, I would appreciate it.
    I think you've got the solution right there - I think they know you had a difficult time of but they know that first times are hardly ever pretty. And they want you to do well - so practice and do a bit better next time. Sounds like warm, great people at your church.

Reminds me of one first time group I heard over at the Black Rose - a teenage boy and girl. They played three songs, with the young man on guitar and every time he'd miss a chord or a beat you could see him grimace and sort of mentally slap himself, clearly nervous and the girl was better and would change her vocals and it was all good. They got warm encouraging applause and at the break everyone was congratulating them for how well they did for their first time.

Will the audience there sing along with you? Good luck on that, I know you'll do well this time.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Default Spring Ritual

I am just reading this thread on Monday afternoon at the office and getting quite a chuckle re: the Doggie Do clean up. That is exactly what I was doing on Sunday afternoon for 2 hours! Good to hear a few of us this have this in common!

My late thoughts on practice motivation. How about just playing through your repertoire? I have recently renewed my commitment to practice daily and diligently and I am finding that I am really neglecting just playing. Aside from the benefit of applying all this great theory and technique, its re-energizing and fun, and a real positive reinforcement because I inevitably notice I am playing something better.

A song that I have been having a lot of fun with is Crazy On You by Heart. The fingerstyle intro is cool and (for me) provides a good workout and then the signature Am riff is just plain fun to play.

Well, I have to get back to potty training the dog.

Have a Great Week!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goerman
    I am just reading this thread on Monday afternoon at the office and getting quite a chuckle re: the Doggie Do clean up. That is exactly what I was doing on Sunday afternoon for 2 hours! Good to hear a few of us have this in common!

I had no idea....ya know what they say....misery loves company....and check your shoes before you come back in the house

That is a cool intro to Crazy On You, I have never learned it but it's some of Nancy Wilson's finest playing :guitare2:

Yes. She doesn't get enough credit as a player IMO. I grew up in Vancouver, BC and actually got to see them play a ton in their formative years (around the time of Dreamboat Annie), including high school dances if you can believe it. There were a couple of other male guitar players I think one was named Roger Fisher (and very good) in the band, but I will always remember watching Nancy - she certainly rocked.

Roger is still around and still a mighty fine guitarist IMHO

check him out here:

http://www.rogerfisher.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1
    I had no idea....ya know what they say....misery loves company....and check your shoes before you come back in the house
    I get to scoop poop and pee from my 2 cats everyday (and sometimes twice a day!)

c'mon guys this is getting gross..................ok..........two cats, male poops 2 to 3 times a day, always runny plus 4 pees a day. Girl only one poop (solid) and three pees a day. Two litter trays, one upstairs one down, just to save their little legs
    Indoor cats, they go thru 16 lbs of litter a month, that's 16lb coming into the house but more like 32lbs going out to the trash man.

oh and tonight I was working on La Bamba in case we forget what the original question was