Bekaybe Guest

Default Noodling around with numbers

NOTE: I originally put this in the General Musing forums, but on a re-read, I think it's better suited here.... I have deleted (or I intend to, after I post this) the post from the General Area... (Unless I cant, which is why it's in both places)

So, being that musical relationships are mathematical, I had an idea today. There are a couple of different numbers out there, I picked Pi and the Golden Ratio, which you can translate in to notes.

For example:

The Golden Ratio is

Thinking in terms of intervals, then:

1-6-1-A-C-3-3-B-7-4-B-A-B-4-A-4-A-2

I know, you're saying "What's with the letters?" Since I only have 7 intervals to work with (1 thru 7) I needed to do something with the number 8, 9, and 0. I decided to make 8s = Roots, 9s = 3rds and 0s = 5ths -

Thus
    1-6-1-A-C-3-3-B-7-4-B-A-B-4-A-4-A-2
    Becomes:
    1-6-1-1-5-3-3-3-7-4-3-1-3-4-1-4-1-2

Both Pi and the Golden ratio are non-repeating, so you could take these out as far as you are capable....

I then translated them in to modes... so, if I was in Lydian, instead of a 4, it'd be a #4... if I was in Mixolydian, all 7s become flat 7s... you get the picture.

Anyway, was kinda fun to noodle around with.

Likewise, you can come up with Chord progressions if you want

For example -

Could be, in the Key of C,

Em/C/F

Maybe I'm being a little geeky... But.. if you noodle around with some of these patterns, you might find something that sounds really cool... or maybe you can break out of a rut you're in.... Whatever...

Enjoy :D

Blog Entries

What you smokin Willis?

Wow, that's some deep stuff bekaybe, now if you can figure in some fractals and chaos theory I will truly wonder if you've left your wife and kids since you obviously have......To Much Time On Your Hands!
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Bekaybe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1
    What you smokin Willis?

Wow, that's some deep stuff bekaybe, now if you can figure in some fractals and chaos theory I will truly wonder if you've left your wife and kids since you obviously have......To Much Time On Your Hands!
    I've always wondered what the Mandelbrot Set sounds like....

Whoa!!

Thats deep stuff.

Quick somebody make melodic patterns and fire up a course.

Anyway we can get this to fit to a good old fashioned Pentatonic scale around the fifth fret?

Way to go thinking outside the box, lets try pi

Default Quantum Physics and Schrodinger's cat

Personally I am using these numbers, along with a sophisticated GPS Array and my own considerable skill and ability to hack into unsecured webcams around the world to try to find the Holy Grail. I realized while looking at Bekaybe's numbers that they bore a striking resemblance to a series of numbers written by a Monk in the 13th Century over a old Greek Treatise by Archimedes (and dutifully scratched out cause who needs more Math Books).

Under these numbers was an inscription in Latin, which when translated into Hebrew and translated back into Latin and then translated into French and then translated into English mostly sounds like nonsense but on the third line you could phonetically read the words 'To Blave' - which was the term translated by Billy Crystal when he played the old doctor in The Princess Bride and the words that he got back in response from Wesley when he asked him "So What You Got That's So Worth Living For?" And the answer 'To Blave' - means 'True Love' - so you know it directly follows that this is in fact a link to the Holy Grail.

I've followed the trail from North Africa to Rome and using a variation of Planck units and the variations of gravitational spin as it relates to the speed of light in a vacuum with all due consideration to the fact that without knowing the exact location of Delta Burke and that Rotund Lead Singer for Blues Traveler these numbers are approximations at best. (due to the considerable gravitational distortion that those small satellites produce of course) At any rate I finally was able to translate Bekaybe's numbers into GPS coordinates and their corresponding webcam address.

Very excited, I punched up those numbers into a webcam hacking program and waited for the video to start. It was very dark for a bit and quiet as it appeared the camera was situated in a unlit room. Finally the light went on and I could see that the camera was pointed at what appeared to be a toilet. Indeed. A man sat down and I could only see the top of his head. While sitting there the man looked down and said quite clearly, "Mamma always said life was like a box of chocolates." The man then pressed a shiny button on the wall to the side of the toilet and a great roaring sounds began. Water began to shoot up from between his legs and I can only imagine that his Bidet had malfunctioned, a pipe had over pressurized or something. As he went flying out of range of the camera and right before it shut off I heard him say "Stupid is as Stupid Does!"

Very unfortunate all around, I'm no closer to my goal of finding the Holy Grail and I sure hope Tom Hanks is alright. And I still don't know where to find Schrodinger's cat either.

If I misinterpreted the meaning of Bekaybe's post you know, it's only cause I've caught a case of the dumbs. I apologize.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Wow gadlaw. Thanks for that! I think?

The person in the toilet - are you sure he didn't say, "Mamma always said life is like a "bowl" of chocolates" and then he flushed em down?

Bekaybe: This sounds like a good idea for those times when we are trying to break out of the norm. We could use birthdates, phone numbers and pin numbers. Anniversaries, docket numbers and our spouses measurements. There's all sorts of different progressions we can come up with.

Sorry, too much caffine today - a Pepsi with Cherry - makes brain go on overdrive and makes fingers fly on the keyboard. I read the Bekaybe post and had and have no earthly idea what he's talking about. Which has nothing to do with what he's saying, only what I'm understanding.

Bekaybe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw
    Sorry, too much caffine today - a Pepsi with Cherry - makes brain go on overdrive and makes fingers fly on the keyboard. I read the Bekaybe post and had and have no earthly idea what he's talking about. Which has nothing to do with what he's saying, only what I'm understanding.
    I'm talking about world domination, of course.

I've got a killer Excel spreadsheet drawn up... but first I need to acquire more underpants.

tangoman Guest

Bekaybe,

That's awesome dude, I have frequently looked for ways to randomize my practicing. Looks like you found a good one. My problem is that I have problems working it out on my Pickett slide ruler (made out of bamboo for accuracy in minimizing the wood's expansion and contraction) that I bought in 1969 at the age of 18.

Blog Entries

I stopped by Bekaybe's office today and after a few jokes and a mighty "pull my finger" contest he actually showed me this in a bit more detail. As a matter of fact he set these numbers/ratios to notes and put them into power tab and actually got some interesting melodies/harmonies. Like the numbers themselves ( eg. Pi) that repeat ad infinitum, the melodies don't resolve either. You hear them wanting to at times but they keep on going. Cool stuff. He actually had some help from a trumpet player and former member of "The Best Damn Band In The Land" and he, the trumpet player, was suprised as well I think. Well that or the contest was a bit much in that small office
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

It would be nice to 'hear' some of what you're talking about here. Maybe a Powertab to fatten up the explanation.

Default woah!

I thought I was confused when I read the first post, but now I know it is not actually confusion, it is the same feeling a termite evetually has after inhabiting an yo yo! So perhaps I am as confused as a termite in a yo yo or perhaps I am just a yo yo. Gadlaw, I love the quotes from what I consider one of the best movies of all time. Thank you all for the info and the laughs!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Yesterday I stumbled across this FREE TrueFire audio lesson with a PDF (no video). It seems to be kind of similar to this thread.

It is originally from Guitar Player magazine and is called, Readers Challenge: Fun with Numbers.

Bekaybe Guest

I'll try and post them later (the power tabs) but I have to run out for a bit for now.

Bekaybe Guest

Turns out I have a little more time than I thought....

So, I'll attach some power tabs....

The first is the Golden Ratio as a chord progression
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bekaybe Guest

This is PI as a chord progression
    • File Type: ptb Pi.ptb (825 Bytes, 88 views)

Bekaybe Guest

Pi as a chord progression, with the Golden Ratio played over top as single notes

(The first Dm has no notes over it as the GR notes didn't quite work. I hear it as a chorus)

Bekaybe Guest

Here is the Golden Ratio (single notes) converted to modes:

The first line is Ionian,
    Second line: Dorian
    Third Line: Phrygian
    Fourth Line: Lydian
    Fifth Line: Mixolydian
    Sixth Line: Aeolian

Bekaybe Guest

And finally, Pi modes

Same sequence
    1st = Ionian
    2nd = Dorian
    3rd = Phrygian
    4th = Lydian
    5th = Mixolydian
    6th = Aeolian

Bekaybe Guest

Sorry for the multiple posts, just wasn't sure how many I could fit in to one attachment window...