Default New Courses - Rick Payne and Denny Sarokin

Ok. I stayed until saturday midnight just to see the new deal. Three brand new courses ! Two by Rick Payne and one by Denny Sarokin.
    From a quick watching it seems the Payne's courses are cool for beginners. I have his other courses of fingerstyle and he's a cool instructor (anyway my top one in the field is David Hamburger). Now to Sarokin's courses...it seems it's quite comprehensive.It covers many tricks for songwriters..mmI'm beginning to be interested in this one...now I'm really sleepy...tomorrow I'll check it out again.

Later

Default You are Quick Rgalvez -

Amazingly quick. I'm not sure I'm getting what the deal with the Rick Payne Course here, so many video lessons '151' of them. Interesting. Will have to read it and digest it.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Just looked at a few of the videos of both of these little courses. I say little but there is a lot of information in small digestible bites in both and I can only say that the Brain Trust over at Truefire has been listening and have found a way to create a "Truefire" type of course to cover the beginning student in these needed areas. Amazing. This guy is the real deal to boot. Rgalvez, you've got the eyes of the Eagle there sir.

Blog Entries

I'm not finding the Denny Sarokin course... Is it because I'm too sleepy?

Where is it?
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Default You are sleepy - but you are right

The course hasn't been linked. I've emailed Brad as well as noted it in the admin section. So if he's awake it'll get fixed. Or if the dudes are looking at the forum, it'll get fixed. Pretty darn cool take on the beginner courses though don't you think? I saw the sample videos they have up, short and sweet and one concept at a time. Great stuff.

Blog Entries

and you are fast Gadlaw

The Rick Payne courses look like some good beginners stuff... Lot's of videos to go through.

OK Good night I'm goin up for my nap now.

----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Default Rgalvez is fast - fast like lightning - fast like fast stuff

Rgalvez saw those courses and was waiting up to see what the new deals were going to be. Me, I happened to find my way to my comfortable computer chair after the football game to check the board and there was Rgalvez posting about the new courses. I went like 'New Courses?' Whu? Rgalvez is fast, he's on the ball. A good man indeed.

Default And the Songwriters Guide To Great Guitar Course

You have the voice. You flipped the burgers to buy that good guitar. You even stayed up late to learn every chord in the book. But your guitar accompaniment still isn’t cutting it. If only you had someone or something to help you breakthrough to that next level, right? Look no further.

The Songwriter’s Guide to Great Guitar, authored by top session and touring pro Denny Sarokin, offers songwriters and guitarists over 200 tricks of the guitar and songwriter's trade, all designed to help make songs “radio ready” and turn average guitar players into exciting performers. The Songwriter’s Guide to Great Guitar covers a menagerie of musical styles and will shore up your guitar playing overnight without having to struggle through tedious theory and exercises.

Denny Sarokin’s writing, studio and touring credits include Every Mother’s Son, Rick Nelson, Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, Buddy Jewel and hundreds of songs for film and TV. He has conducted workshops on guitar, songwriting and stage performance for the Nashville Songwriter’s Association, National Guitar Workshops, the Songwriter’s Guild, the Country Music Hall of Fame, OperaWorks and countless universities across the country.

Denny shares his considerable experience writing and arranging for guitar using concepts like classic chord progressions, rhythm grooves, fingerstyle moves, moving bass lines, walk-ups, playing lead, power chords, “sexy” scales, harmonics, open tunings, pedal bass, muting, “shape-shifting” and much, much more.

Beginning with how to voice chords to suit the tune, Denny explains how to effortlessly combine chords, arpeggios and single-note phrases within an arrangement. You'll learn various strumming patterns, popular fingerstyle techniques, hammer-ons, pull-offs, arpeggios, muting techniques and how to target individual strings within chords to fine tune arrangements for any style or situation. Denny will also show you how to approach the guitar like a drummer to keep tight, interesting rhythms; the use of movable chord shapes to get the most out of fingerboard; and Nashville “drone” chords – special voicings that impart the song’s progression while staying out of the vocalist’s way.

Songwriter’s Guide to Guitar teaches you how to create arrangements that make your guitar sound like a full band and also reveals the secrets behind the styles of artists like James Taylor, Chuck Berry, Merle Travis and Chet Atkins, all in an easy to understand format. You'll also learn how to apply each of the techniques and play in different styles including blues, rock, pop, rockabilly, bluegrass, country, folk and R&B.

Whether you are accompanying yourself while playing cover tunes or looking to write the next number one song, Songwriter’s Guide to Guitar will soon become your go to resource.

http://truefire.com/songwritersguide...tersguide.html
    Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw
    The course hasn't been linked. I've emailed Brad as well as noted it in the admin section. So if he's awake it'll get fixed. Or if the dudes are looking at the forum, it'll get fixed. Pretty darn cool take on the beginner courses though don't you think? I saw the sample videos they have up, short and sweet and one concept at a time. Great stuff.
    Yes I noticed too that the link didn't work..so I thought..mmm what's next? aha..the video page..and voila! it was there !

http://truefire.com/list.html?store=video_lessons

I went to bed thinking about this course..the first impression is that it looks a video from the 70's (take a look a t the presentation a la Woody Allen, the music in a John Denver's mood, the guy's haircut and the location)..but it seems it's a real cool course to work in conjunction with Chord Cookbook.
    Last edited by Rgalvez; 12-21-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Default Good Morning - Woke up and found the Videos for Denny Sarokin's Course -

And of course they are awesome. http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html?...onary/lic01_43

Perfect Acoustic Guitar information for the beginner, for the intermediate acoustic player and for anyone who wants a look at some more of the secrets of playing , "Pro Tricks" as Denny says. He's sitting there like a family friend sitting in front of you and giving you more of the foundation that you really want and need - in order to get the most out of your guitar playing. Totally totally awesome. Truefire continues to fill out those holes in their catalog with these gems, stuff that you really aren't going to find anywhere else. I tell ya, I'm rocking in the Free World with this stuff.

Woohoo! I always look forward to checking out new courses.
    'Retired' Truefire Swat team member

"You should never lose the groove to find a note"-- Victor Wooten

I really like what I see in the songwriter course. I think I will be picking that up very soon. All I have to do now is learn to sing, and I seriously doubt that will ever happen
    I want to die in my sleep like grandpa, not screaming like everyone else in the car.

I am TOTALLY digging the songwriter one

I have been waiting for something like this for a LOOOOOOONG time

Ordering Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by davek
    I am TOTALLY digging the songwriter one

I have been waiting for something like this for a LOOOOOOONG time

Ordering Monday!
    Is it the same price on Monday? I wonder.

I looked at the page and didn't see it listed as a fire sale. I also added it to the cart and did not see any discounts other than my TFU discount and the deduction from my Truefire cash. As far as I know, this is the rgular price. I have, however, been wrong before.
    I want to die in my sleep like grandpa, not screaming like everyone else in the car.

You're probably right about that, I was just thinking how the courses jumped up out of nowhere and were in the 12 Days of Christmas sale. And you are right, I also remember checking to see if they were in the Firesale section and they weren't. Good stuff in any event and I've already ordered mine.

Default Rick Payne

I've had some of rick's courses for some time now. He was part of the acoustic guitar workshop that put together Fingerstyle Fusions and the 60 day Fingerstyle Blues Camp. While it starts off pretty slow showing many of the fundamentals- it picks up very quickly. Rick's expertise is in the are of Ragtime and it is a very sophisticated form of fingerstyle. I think Rick is a good instructor and rivals David Hamburger in terms of his likeability. I think i prefer David's style a bit more but if you look at some of his intro to fingerstyle courses (Fingerstyle handbook 1 and 2) these are pretty basic also. But basic isn't just for beginners unless you have the basics of fingerstyle down. For example- if you can play the bass line independently from the melody then you don't need these courses. In Fingerstyle encores, Rick goes into arrangements that include Ragtime but also does lessons showing his arrangements of Lennon McCarteny songs like Yesterday and Blackbird. His ragtime blues arrangements are truly advanced stuff. So as a cautionary note- for those of you interested in a solid grounding in fingerstyle- I think that he is a good teacher. The one thing I didn't like was that for some of the songs he only had the Powertab and I would have liked to see more video sometimes. Look up Cinncinati Flow Rag, The Glory of love or St. Louis BLues. I came acroos Cafe Blue by Googling Rick Payne: http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/5033/

Did you guys watch the videos that are posted for the Songwriting course? I am just urious. Conceptually it sounds great but from what I saw there wasn't anything on any of the videos that are posted that talked about songwriting. It seemd like a lot of hammer ons and pull offs and chord slides. I am probably missing something. Maybe Gadlaw you can suggest which of those videos you saw that helped you to decide to order the course. I mean it sounds like it's exactly what I am looking for- I just didn't see anything in the video to convince me. thanks

19. Question

the course is really not about songwriting, rather it focuses on expanding the songwriter's or an accompanist's guitar skills to put more colors on their creative palette when composing and/or performing material. judging from the outlandish number of "production" dupes the studio boys burned up, this course is getting a lot of airplay 'round here.

I just ordered a copy of the Songwriters course. I can't wait to get it in and start working through the course. I checked out some of the videos from Truefire TV and this looks like something I am really going to enjoy.

Blog Entries

I watched about a half dozen of the "Song Writer" clips and dgrayson seems correct. This course is not about writing songs but performing them. Making them fuller and more interesting for an audience. Seemed to be a lot of tips to add style to your accompaniment....not flash. Not quite what I was expecting by the title but a valuable tool for the writer and performer none the less.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

I"m glad Brad pointed that out. Having just seen some of the sample videos I didn't think I could answer that with any certainty. Great course, not about Songwriting though.

Cool

It's certainly not a course about songwriting, but what i really like about it (from what i could see so far) is, that it gives quite a good overview of principles and techniques one can use to add flavor to your playing. I especially like the part about rhythmic approaches. This is something so easily neglected but very important in order to sound "pro".
    Mopper

HI! any insights about these courses? (I mean have you already watched them?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rgalvez
    HI! any insights about these courses? (I mean have you already watched them?)
    Well, I've watched the course and I'll watch it again and again, my CD disk hasn't come in the mail yet but I do like Denny's style and manner. Very folksy and it's worth listening to a number of times for all of the valuable nuggets of guitar information he has spread throughout every sentence he says. Denny's Video Samples . Additionally, it looks like he's just found his way over to MySpace and it would be worth it to visit him there and sign him up as a friend. Denny Sarokin's MySpace Place Unless I miss my guess and I don't miss my guess that often, I'm thinking that his Truefire Course is a ported over version of the LICK*TIONARY The Songwriter's Guide to GREAT Guitar! DVD course he's got over on his site. Sort of like a PC game ported over to the 360 or Wii. Great stuff, which reminds me, I gotta go over there and ask him to be pal.

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw
    Well, I've watched the course and I'll watch it again and again, my CD disk hasn't come in the mail yet but I do like Denny's style and manner. Very folksy and it's worth listening to a number of times for all of the valuable nuggets of guitar information he has spread throughout every sentence he says. Denny's Video Samples . Additionally, it looks like he's just found his way over to MySpace and it would be worth it to visit him there and sign him up as a friend. Denny Sarokin's MySpace Place Unless I miss my guess and I don't miss my guess that often, I'm thinking that his Truefire Course is a ported over version of the LICK*TIONARY The Songwriter's Guide to GREAT Guitar! DVD course he's got over on his site. Sort of like a PC game ported over to the 360 or Wii. Great stuff, which reminds me, I gotta go over there and ask him to be pal.
    Hi there!
    After feeling 'over cooked' by Chord Cookbook today (hey folks if you're in a rut with chord progressions this course is a true gem) I was curious about this one and I've just had this evening a marathon of Licktionary AKA Songswriter Guide AKA Guide to great guitar AKA the course that was not the songwriter course AKA the Sarokin course.
    I loved it!!! it's full of cool tips, and I agree with Gadlaw :the style of this guy is really relaxed and you can see he's a seasoned player and songwriter, and he has a hat full of tricks to share with us...I definitely will pick up this one (now that I'm inclined again in the songwriter-song arranger thing since I came back with my band as I told you in another thread)..so give this one a try guys if you're mostly in the acoustic/songwriter department.

Cool

What I like the most of this this course is that it is "digestible". You can pick a few lessons and instantly, you will have something that you can add to your arsenal. It is totally different from more demanding courses which needs you to practise for a long time in order to improve. Which is important, but sometimes a break is needed...
    Mopper

Quote Originally Posted by mopper511
    What I like the most of this this course is that it is "digestible". You can pick a few lessons and instantly, you will have something that you can add to your arsenal. It is totally different from more demanding courses which needs you to practise for a long time in order to improve. Which is important, but sometimes a break is needed...
    Mopper
    I think thats a very accurate depiction of the course Mopper. Its something I can throw in, watch a short video and have something I can work on without an in depth study of theory. That's not to say the material isn't worth while, just something you can jump right into.

Quote Originally Posted by mopper511
    Mopper
    A couple of weeks ago I had a browse through some of the videos from this course on Truefire TV. I was really impressed with it, a ton of good content in there. Its a course that you don't have to work through in order, but you can pick out a topic or technique that you wanna focus on. This course is definitely going to be part of my next purchase from truefire. Best yet its a 2 CD course for only $39 (as opposed to the usual $55). When I take into account truefire cash and student discounts the deal seems even sweeter.
    Sometimes life sucks, but God is always good!!!