Default root of chords from bassline

Hey,

I'm pretty new to truefire and still sort of a novice guitarist. I've been trying to figure out some tunes (rhythm and lead). I just wanted to know what is your take on figuring out chords. I heard playing bass helps but I'm not sure how that's done, do you just try any note? And how do you know that you actually played the root? How would this work if the chords being played are inversions and not the actual root note? I never had a teacher so all this is quite new to me.

Hi hcfkavh,

Would you give us more info (and we'll try to help).

Are you saying you are listening to a song and you want to figure out what the chords are by ear?

Quote Originally Posted by beboy
    Are you saying you are listening to a song and you want to figure out what the chords are by ear?
    Yes exactly. For example I was trying to figure out "Till There Was You" - The Beatles but I can't seem to distinguish the chord changes.

Quote Originally Posted by hcfkavh
    Yes exactly.
    I was afraid that would be the case
    My ear is still in the early learning stages.

My advise to you is, now while you are a novice guitarist, do whatever you can to develop your ears. Sounds like you are on the right track.

With that said, you could take the easy way out and buy the TAB somewhere. You could e-mail truefire and ask if "Beatles Complete Easy Guitar" has the song you need. http://truefire.com/list.html?store=...&query=beatles

Or, there's another book called, Best of the Beatles for Acoustic Guitar by Wolf Marshall and it does have "Til There was You" in it. (You'll need to buy this one somewhere else. I can't find it on TrueFire :( )

How I find the root:
    I usually just slide my finger up and down the fretboard until I find a note that doesn't clash with the song I am listening to. Then I keep playing that note and if it sounds like a perfect fit for the chord in the song I am listening to, then it might just be the root. (Please don't follow this advice. Keep in mind, my ears need lots of improvement.)

Oh, and learn lots of theory. It will help a lot.

Oops, my wife just drove up and I want to go say hi.

Is there anyone out there with good ear training advice?

cool thanks beboy, learning/singing intervals supposed trains your ears (ex. minor/major 2nds, 3rds, 6ths, 7ths, and perfect 4ths, 5ths, etc.) also if I want to learn a riff or lick of a song and I can't figure it out by ear right off the bat I use windows media player to slow it down, and even then sometimes it's still fast. It's tough stuff but I figure if most (if not all) experienced guitarist practiced this way then might as well follow in their footsteps.

Post Free Ear training software

Here is a site to download a free ear training software. I used it in the past before my previous computer crashed. I just downloaded it again from this site and it looks like it's been upgraded. It was easy to use and helpful. Let me know what you think.

http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Top_Free_...232_2006.php#5