Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1486

Welcome from me too Tim. The TF forum is the best on the web with lots of very helpful folks. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have at all. Nice to have you aboard!
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    ... a ESP Guitar which I've not heard of before but then on the East Coast, well Gulf Coast actually but close enough and haven't seen or didn't see any ESP Guitar's.
    I am in the mid-atlantic myself. ESP is probably best known for metal guitars - their sponsored players are guys like Kirk Hammet (Metallica), George Lynch (Dokken), Alexi Liaho (Children of Bodom) etc. They tend to have an Ibanez-shred type necks. ESP is pretty good about keeping the quality of their low end guitars up and consistent vs Dean, Fender Squire, epiphone etc. You can find them at guitar center type places and some smaller shops.

Welcome to the forum Tim. Interesting that you lurked before buying a guitar
    The abridged version is that i was waiting for Rock Band Pro mode to ship.... and then once it shipped, i was waiting for it (hardware and software) to be bug free. Eventually, i got tired of waiting and spent less money and got a far better instrument. while i was waiting, i had time to search for other options.

My goal is to be able to perform in public again. I need some major gaps filled beyond what i am learning playing some poorly transcribed tabs.

Keep up the good work,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Introduce yourself, share your opinion, and we'll give you a free download of 50 Guitar Licks You MUST Know, an interactive video compilation of 50 rock, blues, acoustic, jazz, country and funk licks with tab, notation, power tab and practice rhythm tracks.

Here's all you have to do...

1- Click "Post Reply"

2- Post your answers to the following questions:

a) How many years have you been playing?
    b) Favorite styles?
    c) Describe your guitar and rig.
    d) What do you think about TrueFire?
    e) How can we make this forum better for you?

3- Send an email to nancy@truefire.com with your TrueFire username PLUS your forum username if different.

Not a TrueFire member yet? Register now! It's quick and it's free!
    Register for free here: http://truefire.com/join/

Nancy will send you instructions for downloading your free course.

Simple as that!
    Glad to be here-looks like a great resource. If this would've been around when I was a youngster with time to practice and adolescent reflexes... Oh well, never too late to try!

1. I've been playing since 1971. Several long hiatuses during the intervening 40 years- like years long.
    2. Rock. Blues. Some country. Mostly played acoustic, really didn't start playing electric until 10 or 12 years ago.
    3. Martin 000-28, Schecter Tele and Strat, custom shop Les Paul. Several cool amps picked up over the years. My equipment isn't holding me back.
    4. I think Truefire portends to be a great resource once I figure out a way to efficiently utilize it. Still exploring.
    5. I don't know enough to make any constructive suggestions- so I'll defer on that question for right now.

Thanks

Welcome from me too Mick. There's lots for great courses on TF that are just what the doctor ordered for guys at your level. Not only that of forum guys are more than eager to help out with any way we can. Jump in and enjoy and never, never, ever think there's a bad question. Don't be a stranger and have a good time!

5. Smile

I have been playing guitar for 15 years but never improved past playing fake books. I look up the chords and played it. I tried studying on my own but never seriously.

b) Favorite styles?
    Mostly rock.

I have a Jackson guitar, an old Digitech effects processor, Fender Hot Rod, and a small Vox practice amp.
    I also have an Ibanez bass guitar and a Peavey Max 126 practice amp.

Truefire is amazing. I wish I have discovered it from the beginning. I was actually looking for tutorials for playing bass guitar and found it here. I can watch hundreds of videos in Youtube but it will not be as structured as if you have a course to work on.

I just joined the forum so I do not know how it is like yet.

3- Send an email to nancy@truefire.com with your TrueFire username PLUS your forum username if different.

Simple as that![/QUOTE]

Welcome to TF xhelby! Great to hear your experience here has been a good one so far. I predict that it's going to get better and better. Besides all the great courses you'll find lots of people on the forum that are eager to be helpful if you have any questions, plus we're always happy to hear your comments. Enjoy!

Default .

21 Years, I started classical Spanish guitar when I was 14.

b) Favorite styles?

Blues, Rock & Country.

Guitars: Gibson LP-295, Michael Tuttle S-60 & MK Handmade Telecaster.
    Amps: Bad Cat Lil 15 head + 2x12 CAE closed cabinet & 65Amps Soho 1x12 combo.
    Pedals: Managed from Gigrig Pro 14:
    Ernie bal Wah.
    Effectrode Compressor.
    TC Electronics Polytune.
    Pete Cornish SS3.
    Pete Cornish G2.
    Klon Centaur.
    T-Rex Replica.
    Diamond Halo Chorus.

I've just started with '50 rock rhytm licks' and I find it awsome. Great reviews made me enroll for 1 year.

I need more time to check, if I find something to improve I will let you know, but seems really cool.

Introduce yourself, share your opinion, and we'll give you a free download of 50 Guitar Licks You MUST Know, an interactive video compilation of 50 rock, blues, acoustic, jazz, country and funk licks with tab, notation, power tab and practice rhythm tracks.

1- Click "Post Reply"

b) Favorite styles?

Simple as that!
    I have been playing for about 40 years but there was a 20 year break in there. The internet really opened it up for me about 10 years ago.

I enjoy fingerpicking the most, blues and Travis style. I also enjoy classic rock.

My main setup is a Epiphone Swingster played through a VoxAC4TV with a Boss digital effects pedal. I also play a lot on my Carvin acoustic.

I think Truefire is great. Every style of music seems to be covered here.

The forum seems really good from what I have seen. Large user participation always seems to make forums more interesting.

Default New to TF forum

Hi, PeeGee here.

I've been playing for 20 - 30 years on and off. Mostly for fun, other times in various groups .

I love playing acoustic anything, jazz, latin, pop.........basically my favorite "genre" is MUSIC!

I play a 1975 Maton CW80, with & without pickup. An Epiphone Dot Studio thru an Amplitude Fender computer rig and a Roland Cube 80.

True Fire is an amazing resource for improving one's skills. I've tried a few other similar sites that teach/show you how to play "tricks'' but they don't cut it for "serious" gat players. :-))

I don't know - I've just joined the forum so can't really say.

Cheers

PeeGee

Welcome to the forum Cuellin, PeeGee and Cobalt! Do make use of all the resources that are here and available to you in your guitar journey!
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Hi there,

My name in the real world's Alex and I live just outside Edinburgh in Scotland.

I started playing guitar too long ago to remember. I've had rather a long break though - over 20 years. But now seems a good time to get back into it and actually make an effort to become competent.

b) Favorite styles?
    My favourite styles are jazz & blues.

I've got a very old Eko acoustic and I'm also using a Rocket Deluxe electric & Marshall amp. If I manage to stick at this I might even treat myself to something a bit more up market.

I've been really impressed by Truefire and have bought some jazz courses.

The forum seems just fine the way it is.

Default A newbie way down in South AL!

Hello, I'm a newbie to the forum, recently signed up as a student, just downloaded Fareed Haque's "JazzRock Workshop" and loving it! This site is exactly what I've been needing for a while now,, glad to find so much information here!

16 years. Didn't get started till I was about 18yrs old

b) Favorite styles?
    Cut my teeth on 60's & 70's southern/classic rock, blues, country, all the basic stuff. Predominately a blues/rock player with slide capability (ABB ie: Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes styles),, got into non pedal lap steel for a while and picked up a little of the C6/E6 styles of Don Helms, Jerry Bryd, etc.. (I am located just off I-65 south of Montgomery AL,, it just kinda floats downstream so to say). Good enough chops for barroom gig country, but would love to learn more progressive country styles. My latest crave for now is to add more jazz and color to my typical pentatonic styles. Thats why I'm loving Fareed's lesson right now! Would love to find some ideas on how to pickup on some of Jimmy Herring's stuff http://www.jimmyherring.net/ When he goes into his thing, my mind just explodes! In a good way, ahah!

Guitars: Strat, PRS CE22, Gibson ES137 Custom, Taylor GS5, and a cheap dual neck non pedal steel
    Amp: Pretty simple,, typically any combo tube amp,, actually really satisfied with a Peavey Delta Blues right now,, at 30W,, I can really crank it,,gets really nice!
    Pedals: Wah - AutoWah - Trem - Phase - Boss RT20 - TS9DX (with all kind of mods,, I forget what all I've done to it,, wouldn't give it up) - TS9 (with Monte Allums mod) - Timmy OD. But the most important item is a true bypass looper to keep all of that junk out of the signal when not in use. Makes all the difference!

Love it so far! Exactly the format I'm looking for. I would like to see better support for idevices (ipad etc,, I guess the online vid's are embedded in flash,, so that makes viewing on apple devices a dead end). Would like to see the lesson packages offered for sale like the "apps" are. Even without the PowerTab,, the pdf charts are well enough for me.

No complaints so far, looks great!

Thanks!

Very interesting guitar background you have there and it's fascinating that you're a good country player who wants to work on his Jazz chops. That is one thing I notice about many guitar players - they have no fear whatsoever when it comes to learning things outside of what they know. You've got an impressive collection of guitars and gear to be sure. Wolfboy is the pedal guy here and others are much better at appreciating amps and I'm watching a youtube video about the Peavey Delta Blues amp, I'm seeing a lot of tubes in that amp and the guy demonstrating it said it's the best blues amp out there. Will that amp be good for the Fareed Haque jazz? Welcome to the forum, let us know if you have any questions or issues.

Yeah I really love this DB115. Actually though, I'm taking the amp chassis out of the combo to mount it in a head cab I've built. My intentions are making it portable to pair up with different cab configurations. I actually have a PV C50 in the 410 combo, which I love the tightness ofthe 410,, but the C50 doesn't hold a candle to the DB in sound. Maybe it's because the DB is 30 watts and it breaks up at a lower volume,,but in my opinion it's just a better amp. Now, I don't care for the dirty channel on either series, but that's why I have 3 overdrive pedals on board,, lol! And the DB doesn't really handle vol adjustments from the guitar all that well either (it gets pretty muddy when rolling off the vol pot,, the C50 does alot better at that). The boost switch is also very useful as well. Its like an onboard tubescreamer,, adds alot of midrange though,, but I generally play with the boost on,, roll off the midrange on the amp,, and it dials in a nice breakup sound for my taste of a clean channel. Kick on any of the OD's in front an it's roaring!! Theres also a well documented "tube rattle" associated with these, and I notice it with mine. It hasn't bothered me that much, but I probably will pursue the "toms tube tamer" which is supposed to eliminate that issue.

And yes it's a very nice setup for the Fareed course! I've learned so much from that course in just a week. Kudos to that guy for making such a cool vid!

Very interesting guitar background you have there and it's fascinating that you're a good country player who wants to work on his Jazz chops. That is one thing I notice about many guitar players - they have no fear whatsoever when it comes to learning things outside of what they know. You've got an impressive collection of guitars and gear to be sure. Wolfboy is the pedal guy here and others are much better at appreciating amps and I'm watching a youtube video about the Peavey Delta Blues amp, I'm seeing a lot of tubes in that amp and the guy demonstrating it said it's the best blues amp out there. Will that amp be good for the Fareed Haque jazz? Welcome to the forum, let us know if you have any questions or issues.

Blog Entries

Welcome Roger and all the other new guys I've missed!

Roger, I have never played through either of your amps but I almost bought the Cv50 4x10 based on reviews and comments. I went through some of them again tonight. A lot of competition between the Fender Deville 4x10 and the Peavey. Way back when I bought a Trayner YCV40 I did some research and a LOT of folks were down on the quality of the Fender Hot Rod Deville series. Lots of cheapness and shortcuts to make it more budget friendly. I always thought they sounded decent but they guy I took my guitars to at the time was very specific about not buying one especially new. I found the Trayner to be an excellent amp, sound great but a bit brittle in with a band.

You got me hooked on the DB 1x15 now. I so don't need an amp. I have a Fender Champ 600, a Fender G-Dec, a big old Alesis Sumo I got free for acoustics and my mainstay a Mesa Express 525 with a 1x12. Only one I really use is the Mesa but I think I might start using the G-Dec for practicing a bit more now. You really like the DB better than the C50? The demos I watched were nice but not a lot of headroom. Seems like both the Peavey amps take pedals well and that's a plus. What overdrives are you running?

Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Sorry for the delayed response.. I had a nice reply all tied up the other night and my damned iphone battery tanked!I've played a C50 for yrs because I loved the tight response of the amp and it always handled pedals very well. I used to play with one tubescreamer on all the time just to push the amp,, not heavily overdriven, but just pushed. I'd roll the volume off to clean up. Granted its not Fender chiming cleans, but I don't go for that tone anyhow. But then I tried the DB115 and I was sold!! And no it doesn't have the headroom for loud clean tones,, but on the normal channel at around 6 or so on vol, it's got a really nice clean/breakup sound,, and at a manageable stage volume. I typically use the boost on all the time as well with the vol at around 4,,,roll the mids out to around 4 because the boost adds ALOT of mid. Tune the treb and bass however you prefer,, and now you've got a cranked tube amp tone,, put any drive on top of that and it's singing pretty well! Lots of sustain,, rich harmonic overtones,, very nice sounds to my ear. I use two tubecreamers that I've done a bunch of mods on,, each have they're own voice and levels of drive. I also put a Tim drive in front of those. I'll use the Tim straight to the amp for extra push and clean boost,, but with either of the TS's on and the TIm driving those and you've got Santana cream sustain on for days. The tremolo circuit is very nice as well, but a drawback being there's no external foot pedal to control that,, or the boost for that matter. Guess that's why I leave the boost on all the time. But this amp just has so much more of a dynamic response compared to the C50. The reverb really comes out better as well,, not as clear as a fender,, but very close. The tubes also rattle a bit as well,, no so much as I've read on other reviews,, but I will probably get the "toms tube tamer" just to clean that up. Only real complaint I have is that the amp doesn't clean up as well as the C50 while rolling off the vol. kinda gets muddy,, but to get back to that clean/breakup, I just disengage any drive pedals I have on at the time. I know it may seem like I need a lot of drive pedals to manage my sound here,, that's not it at all,, I'm just a drive junky!! Hah! But I do have several drive tones available due to the ones I'm using. I also have the extension 115 cab,,,running that with combo 15 and you're seriously moving some air!! Also keeps a very defined bass response,, doesn't get muddy. However, I'm currently working on a project to convert my DB combo into a head... Only for the purpose of mounting up with different cab configs. I really like the 410 style of the C50, so. I want to run the DB on that,, pair it up with the 115 ext cab if I want to as well. Will post some pics of that when it's done! Thanks for the discussion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    Welcome Roger and all the other new guys I've missed!Roger, I have never played through either of your amps but I almost bought the Cv50 4x10 based on reviews and comments. I went through some of them again tonight. A lot of competition between the Fender Deville 4x10 and the Peavey. Way back when I bought a Trayner YCV40 I did some research and a LOT of folks were down on the quality of the Fender Hot Rod Deville series. Lots of cheapness and shortcuts to make it more budget friendly. I always thought they sounded decent but they guy I took my guitars to at the time was very specific about not buying one especially new. I found the Trayner to be an excellent amp, sound great but a bit brittle in with a band.You got me hooked on the DB 1x15 now. I so don't need an amp. I have a Fender Champ 600, a Fender G-Dec, a big old Alesis Sumo I got free for acoustics and my mainstay a Mesa Express 525 with a 1x12. Only one I really use is the Mesa but I think I might start using the G-Dec for practicing a bit more now. You really like the DB better than the C50? The demos I watched were nice but not a lot of headroom. Seems like both the Peavey amps take pedals well and that's a plus. What overdrives are you running?

Great response. I actually understood some of that. I do have a pedal awaiting a proper amp (I'm a G Dec 30 guy right now) and your description of what you use and why you use them makes sense. Look forward to seeing your postings in the Gear Section of the forum. Let me know if you have any problems getting your '50 Free Licks' download. Not often but sometimes there is an issue, lost emails or such and easily taken care of.

Default Hello True Fire World

My name is Angela and I'm a confessed lurker at TF. I've just signed up for the 30-day trial but it looks like I'll be here to stay.

Just over a year ago and a half.

b) Favorite styles?
    My favourite styles are jazz, blues, flamenco & classical. Please note that I pretty much suck at them all...

I have 2 guitars: a Yamaha Classical and a Les Paul Studio. 20XL Roland cube and a lil Vox amp...that's pretty much it.

I think it's fantastic. Wish I'd have found it sooner. I hope to learn lots here
    and with the gazillion courses on offer and the kind folks in the forums,that's entirely possible. Now if only I knew where to start! (Most likely MMFG ad TEG). Any suggestions?

I'm still exploring. The only thing I would change is the way the threads appear. Maybe if the newest posts were first instead of last? Or is it my forum settings?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Rhedd-Angel View Post
    My name is Angela and I'm a confessed lurker at TF. I've just signed up for the 30-day trial but it looks like I'll be here to stay.

b) Favorite styles?
    My favourite styles are jazz, blues, flamenco & classical. Please note that I pretty much suck at them all...

I have 2 guitars: a Yamaha Classical and a Les Paul Studio. 20XL Roland cube and a lil Vox amp...that's pretty much it.

I think it's fantastic. Wish I'd have found it sooner. I hope to learn lots here
    and with the gazillion courses on offer and the kind folks in the forums,that's entirely possible. Now if only I knew where to start! (Most likely MMFG ad TEG). Any suggestions?

I'm still exploring. The only thing I would change is the way the threads appear. Maybe if the newest posts were first instead of last? Or is it my forum settings?
    Welcome to the forum Angela. We've very glad you decided to come out from lurking and join in a bit. The good news is that since it's an instructional site not being able to play well is not a problem. That's also the good news, lots of help here, as much or as little as you might want. No question is too foolish and nobody will say anything like that to you so please do let us help you get better.

And depending on where you are in your playing and where your interests lie you can certainly explore all the ways to go, perhaps we might be able to direct you and save you a bit of time. It's all good. And for the forum, I believe the default is a bit wonky. If you go into the settings you can change the way it shows up for you depending on what style you like, it's highly configurable and if you can't puzzle through we can certainly help you figure it out. Welcome to the forum and welcome to TrueFire!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhedd-Angel View Post

b) Favorite styles?

I like Frank courses as far as jazz go.
    His also has jazz 123 I don't have it but it would teach a person with few skill the basics of jazz.
    I am not sure who I like best as far as blues players there are so many good course.
    Robbie Clavo would be at the top for people just staring out.
    Mattieu Brand s stuff is very good, Chord Cook Book is a tasty treat.
    Good luck and welcome to the Fire

Default To Fix that Thread Issue in Settings

Here is how to get to your forum settings to set the thread display mode so that you see what you want to see. Up at the top of your forum page is My Profile / Settings / Log Out - Click on Settings. You'll get to the second page and to the left of the screen you'll see the menu and you'll want to find the 'General Settings' and click on that. After that you are on the general settings page and if you scroll down you'll find the thread options to change to what you would like. Here are the images to follow along.
    The pictures probably aren't in order but you'll get the idea.
    Name:  settings.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  75.6 KBName:  generalsettingsa.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  97.4 KBName:  general-settings.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  93.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I like Frank courses as far as jazz go.
    His also has jazz 123 I don't have it but it would teach a person with few skill the basics of jazz.
    I am not sure who I like best as far as blues players there are so many good course.
    Robbie Clavo would be at the top for people just staring out.
    Mattieu Brand s stuff is very good, Chord Cook Book is a tasty treat.
    Good luck and welcome to the Fire

Thanks! I checked on Robbie and he's excellent!

Here is how to get to your forum settings to set the thread display mode so that you see what you want to see. Up at the top of your forum page is My Profile / Settings / Log Out - Click on Settings. You'll get to the second page and to the left of the screen you'll see the menu and you'll want to find the 'General Settings' and click on that. After that you are on the general settings page and if you scroll down you'll find the thread options to change to what you would like. Here are the images to follow along.
    The pictures probably aren't in order but you'll get the idea.
    Name:  settings.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  75.6 KBName:  generalsettingsa.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  97.4 KBName:  general-settings.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  93.5 KB
    Thanks for taking the time to show me how to do that. You guys rock!

You are most welcomed. I realized that it was something that should be done and I put it in the FAQ section of the forum. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

25. Default new member

Hi Brad--

New to Truefire and anxious to check it out. Here's my info:

~7 years, then like 15 years of none, now about 1 year getting back into it

b) Favorite styles?
    blues rock

PRS P22, Gibson SG 61 reissue, '73 Rickenbacker Model 480, custom Tele, Fender Mustang III amp, cheap-o Cort acoustic

so far so good. you guys seem to have your act together--lots of great content, street cred with instructors and practical knowledge we players can put into our game.

too soon to tell, will keep you posted

Simple as that![/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by lamerdin View Post
    Hi Brad--

New to Truefire and anxious to check it out. Here's my info:

~7 years, then like 15 years of none, now about 1 year getting back into it

b) Favorite styles?
    blues rock

PRS P22, Gibson SG 61 reissue, '73 Rickenbacker Model 480, custom Tele, Fender Mustang III amp, cheap-o Cort acoustic

so far so good. you guys seem to have your act together--lots of great content, street cred with instructors and practical knowledge we players can put into our game.

too soon to tell, will keep you posted

Simple as that!
    [/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum and sorry about the delay in your post showing up. I found it in the Moderator Que a while ago and retrieved it. Love your gear, it's great to be able to get good gear for our second childhood guitar hero lives. I do love my Telecaster, what sort of custom Tele do you have?

27. Cool intro,, hehehee

How many years have you been playing? on off for 15 years
    Favorite styles? so many to chose blues, rock
    my gear .. les paul delux, fender tele marshall 2203, rack set, jmp1 and a bunch of other stuff WOW ,, im impressed
    What do you think about TrueFire,, utterly fantastic,,, even seasoned players get a ton of good education,,,
    How can we make this forum better for you,. new to the forum looks great.. keep up all the hard work,,. a lot of work to run a fuoorum

1- Click "Post Reply"

b) Favorite styles?
    c) Favorite styles?

3- Send an email to with your TrueFire username PLUS your forum username if different.

Simple as that!

Welcome Chizm! Nice bunch of gear you have there of course. Really everyone should have a Telecaster and glad you have one. With the Free Course, the YouTube TrueFire videos , the Free Video Blog Courses over at The Punch In and all the sample videos at TrueFire TV and all the help you could ask for at the forum you've found plenty to plunge into. Welcome!

Hello, my name is Renee and I go by rkirby on line. I have dabbled in music particularly the guitar since I was a child. But never exposed myself any formal lessons or theory. I started playing acoustic guitar again a few years back, learning bluegrass style in the open position. Recently, I picked up a bass (Ibanez) and Amp (Fender) and stumbled across TR while searching for information on youtube. How lucky was I? Very. I appreciate all genre's, but my affinity is with folk music. I have had the opportunity to review the courses, and I must say, they are very well done. Congratulations TF for your vision and exceptional teaching courses.
    Last edited by rkirby; 08-16-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Welcome to the forum Renee! Glad to hear that you've looked over the TrueFire catalog and like what you see. Importantly it's worth noting that the new releases just keep coming and there is no end in sight. You mention that you've recently picked up your Bass and TrueFire has recently released new Bass Courses. That sounds like fate to me. Do make yourself at home, we are glad you found your way here and welcome again.

How many years have you been playing?
    I played for six years before a ten year long hiatus, and been playing for four years after I got back to playing again.
    So a total sum of 10 years of playing I guess.

Favorite styles?
    Used to play alot of metal/shred stuff when I was younger but these days its mostly blues, country and funk.

Describe your guitar and rig.
    Guitars I (ab)use :
    - Fender Telecaster FSR Copperburst
    - Fender Road worn 60's Stratocaster
    - Gibson Les Paul BFG Gary Moore

My only "amp" at the moment :
    - Yamaha THR10

What do you think about TrueFire?
    Awesome! Tons and tons of great learning material in loads of various styles.
    I'll be busy for many years to come learning this stuff!

How can we make this forum better for you?
    Maybe it would be possible to integrate the forum account with the Truefire account...

/nicke

Quote Originally Posted by nicket View Post
    How many years have you been playing?
    I played for six years before a ten year long hiatus, and been playing for four years after I got back to playing again.
    So a total sum of 10 years of playing I guess.

Favorite styles?
    Used to play alot of metal/shred stuff when I was younger but these days its mostly blues, country and funk.

Describe your guitar and rig.
    Guitars I (ab)use :
    - Fender Telecaster FSR Copperburst
    - Fender Road worn 60's Stratocaster
    - Gibson Les Paul BFG Gary Moore

My only "amp" at the moment :
    - Yamaha THR10

What do you think about TrueFire?
    Awesome! Tons and tons of great learning material in loads of various styles.
    I'll be busy for many years to come learning this stuff!

How can we make this forum better for you?
    Maybe it would be possible to integrate the forum account with the Truefire account...

/nicke
    Welcome to the forum Nick! If you need any help just holler out. Nice set of guitars you have there and it's good to know there's folks who expand the kinds of music they like. So much great music out there!

Thanks for the welcome gadlaw!
    I'll be around, thinking about looking into this "sherpa" thing later too.
    Take care
    /nicke

About 40 years now - on and off

b) Favorite styles?
    Blues mainly - acoustic and electric, with occasional excursions into ska, reggae and jazz.

Gibson half-acoustic, Strat, Dobro, standard acoustic guitar and - I hope soon - a dreadnought.

Great site with lots of helpful and inspiring learning sources, nice and friendly community.

Hmm, no idea yet; I like it as it is right now.

Default Hi from Adelaide Aust.

Found this site last weekend and am on the 30 day trial. All a bit overwhelming, there is so much great stuff. Sounds like my best bet is a membership with access to videos rather than buying courses as I am a bit of a grazzer, bit of this, bit of that. I'm loving the Howard Morgan course though and have had several of his books for years.
    Oh Yes
    The 20 Questions or what ever it was;
    I'm a (grey) whisker off 60 and have been playing since I was 12; you do the maths
    Guitars- MIA Deluxe Strat with 'Vibro-Champ' and 'Blues Deluxe' reissue; PRS Hollowbody with Vox AC15 (2x10s); Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard
    Music Styles- Done everything from Lounge Jazz to Punk Rock and most things in between.
    Studdied music full time for 3 years about 10 years ago and got into music software since then. Reason and Abbleton Live mostly.
    Can't remember the rest of the questions. That's what happens when you get old. LOL
    Anyway any suggestions on what membership I should buy or what courses would be most welcome.
    Cheers Steve.

Thumbs up Welcome, SteveJaz, MGLizard, and Nicket!!

I am super glad to see all you folks checking in here and finding the awesome guitar riches of TrueFire! I have been buying their courses since...ok, I am elderly like SteveJaz and I will just safely say "several years." Hey, Steve, we are NOT old: we are VINTAGE! Seriously, it has been for at least five of six years. Then I won a guiitar in one of their contests and checked out the forum as a result of that win back in 2008 or 2009 and I have been in the mix ever since.

I can tell you all this one thing I have concluded from my time here and over 40 years of playing guitar: TrueFire is the BEST place on the planet to get guitar instruction at your own pace. They have so very many remarkable resources and a customer service staff that is absolutely the best of any company with whom I have ever dealt. And the best part (ok, I know that sounds terribly subjective) is the friendliness and generosity of the folks who run the company. Outstanding human beings!!!
    Welcome aboard! Enjoy all you can absorb; squeeze it out in your playing; then jump in again and get re-filled! I hope you all enjoy it and grow from it as much or more than I have, but I have to tell you, I would have to be twins to enjoy it more than I already do.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Welcome to the forum MGLizard and Stevejaz. Sorry about the delay in getting your post up Stevejaz - I saw you starting to post last night and a new guy post once in a while gets hung up in the moderator area but I went on to sleep and found your reply stuck there this morning and I promptly released it to the forum. In penance here is a one minute video about Adelaide, Australia I found on the youtube.

Blog Entries

Default Hello From Louisiana

Hi my name is Galen, I have been playing the guitar for about 55 years, mostly strumming and singing along, high school band, in and around the streets of New York village area, and New Jersey, about 5 years ago I decided to really learn about the instrument I play and got into theory and it's application. I have been playing many of the songs from the 60's including Dylan, Paul Simon, Beatles, Stones ect.
    I own a Hagstrum Vicking, Peavey T-60, Fender Tel, Ibanez PF acoustic, Fender 12 string, and an Ibanez Bass, my amps are a Line 6 Spider Jam, A Peavey ValveKing 112 combo amp, my pedals are DigiTech RP 355 effects pedal, Boss RC-30 Looper and a Phonic Powerpod 780 / S715 PA
    I am currently trying to learn about Modes, pentatonic majior and minor scales and there application, what choices does one have over a particular chord progression.
    TF in my opinion is the finest by far music tool on the web-hands down.Hands Down
    I would love for the others on the forum to answer if possible any questions so as to help us better understand our instrument either by answer or pointing to a TF course that answers the question
    I'm just an old man that would love to join in with other musicians and play not just play rythem with old block chords-they have there place but more insight would be nice

Thanks Galen

Thumbs up Hello Galen

And welcome aboard the TrueFire ship! Glad to see you enjoying the view from here. We have much in common. I am a vintage citizen (mid to late 50s) as well and I agree that TrueFire has the best guitar resources on the planet. For modes, my personal favorite is one by Brad Carlton called Improve a La Mode. I know that Chris Buono and Robbie Calvo each have courses here on modes, but the one by Carlton has been here longer and I have more experience with it. It answers a load of questions for me and Carlton is a guitar brainiac! Bro, I love Louisiana! Some of the best food in the world. I have a neighbor who loves it so much they just moved down there.

I also think there are some mode questions in a thread or two here and some diagrams in the Neck Diagrams thread. I will see if I can find them later and send you a message. (Check your "Notifications" to see if you have a message later. Just trying to help you navigate this place a bit.) Enjoy all TrueFire has to offer and that is a ton of good stuff!
    Have fun!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. And you'll find a lot of agreement that TrueFire is the best guitar instruction website around.

Quote Originally Posted by galen11 View Post
    I am currently trying to learn about Modes, pentatonic majior and minor scales and there application, what choices does one have over a particular chord progression.
    If you remove the modes from the question, the best choice is Robbie Calvo's "Sweet Notes" or the expanded course "Solocraft" (Sweet Notes is included).

There is also Chris Buono's "Blues Soloing" which is the companion for his "Blues Progressions" course. And finally a great early intermediate course on both rhythm and soloing Brad Carlton's "Blues Grooves"

Don't forget when you sign up as a free student (under the join page) you will get a 30 trial of the entire library.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Default Hello People......

Hello People,

My name is John and I'm from South Jersey, USA and have been playing for some 30 years or so, on and off, and still learning as with all of those years. Hands are giving out on me as age is creeping up but not throwing in the towel as of yet.

Grew up with Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Grand Funk Railroad and all of the Rock Bands of the 60's and 70's and of course most important with the Beatles who introduced me to music I suppose. So styles wise all of the above but I would say almost all Blues today.

Many Guitars…. 11 in all. PRS, Fender Strats, Fender Tele, Gibson 339, Epiphone Dot and a Taylor Acoustic.

Rig…. everything in a home studio….. all through a Mackie Pro FX22 mixer into a Crown XTi 4000 amp into JBL MRX Speakers and man can it get LOUD! Guitar setup is a few Fulltone pedals and a Suhr Riot pedal (Best pedal I have ever owned) and then into my Eleven Rack. It is "Heaven" guys.

I have known about TrueFire for only about 5 months maybe…… where have I been? I have bought almost all of their 50 Licks series and want more, more and more! Been telling everyone about them. If only this was around in my younger days…………

So I am new to this Forum so no suggestions on how to make this better for me. Actually it has taken me 30 minutes to figure how to post this introduction. I'm new to this forum stuff.

Okay! Play on brothers……..

John

Default Hello South Jersey!

Welcome to the TrueFire forum and don't worry about not being very 'forum' savvy - we're almost an anti - forum with everyone getting along and not much in the way of drama so you should feel right at home. Impressive gear you have there as befitting a long time guitarist. I sympathize with your issues with the hands as a few of us have similar problems to varying extents. Heck, I wear a wrist brace every time I go out of the house to be able to play with my guitars once in a while.

I think if we did a geographic update on members we'd have a lot of Ohio and New Jersey folks although a lot of the Jersey folks are here in Florida now. Go figure. Welcome again, make yourself at home.

Thumbs up Welcome to the Forum, PS139

Glad to have you on board the TrueFire bus. I discovered this place several years ago and asked myself some of those same questions. I also grew chronologically older (my wife says I never grew up and I refuse to mature) to some of the same music as you did. And a lot of us are experience the impact of time on the ever humbling human frames we have. I spent about six months of my army time near Eatontown and Asbury Park a long time ago.
    Yes, you will absolutely love this place. Make yourself at home and if you have any questions, comments, or even snide remarks, feel free to post. Folks here are very helpful and friendly.
    Have fun!

Default New to the group

Hi all, my name is Jim. Been playing on and off for 30+ years but with sharp focus, probably only 6 years combined. A couple periods of intense lessons over the years (classical, jazz, chord melody, rock).

Grew up with an older brother listening to Stones, Animals, etc. I went all over the map from Allman Brothers to Christoper Parkening to SRV. At a point now in my life (50's) where I have the opportunity to again focus. Still feel young enough to rock (probably the 25 years of jumping out of airplanes to blame). I've got bits and pieces everywhere....a lot of partiallly developed technique. Its always been ok for the backyard but ready to do more (rythmically, improv and accoustically, blues, rock and folk)

Guitars - a tele, 355, PRS, Martin and Sakurai. Amp = Mesa Boogie

Regarding TrueFire - just getting started but really seems well thought out. The instructors I've seen thus far have been good at explaining why things work the way they do.....this is hugh to me......it's the "teach a person to fish" concept. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the licks but probably will improve the most based off the "why".

Regarding how to make better.....not sure I have enough perspective yet to offer something that someone else has not yet shared, however, I am considering the Sherpa route but would like to speak with someone to discuss goals and expectations.......this counciling would also be helpful in just selecting the proper courses out of the "learning paths"....maybe some of this is in the forums??

However this all works out, I've already progressed and appreaciate what all of you are doing.

Blue skies

I've been playing for 6 going on 7 years. I first picked up the guitar because a friend of mine did and then I ended up quitting because it was "too hard." After hearing Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band two things happened, first, I became an avid Beatles fan and bought every record I could afford at the time, but second and more importantly I knew I was going to play guitar for a long time. It just sort of snow balled from there....and now I'm pursuing a career in music! Who would've thought?

b) Favorite styles?

For listening I've got favorites in pretty much every genre, but as far as guitar playing goes....Blues, Rock, Acoustic New age (ala Andy Mckee, Tommy Emmanuel), Funk, R&B, Progressive, Jazz, & Jazz Fusion. In order oldest to most recent.

I've got a Strat that was custom built for someone else who ended up selling it with a neck that I commissioned from a local luthier. It plays and sounds like a dream and is my #1. We've been through a ton together (first gig....so much progression musically & much more....)

It's a great website! It seems like the perfect alternative for somebody like me whose a DIYer and can't necessarily afford the cost of having a regular teacher and / or can't find one suitable to your needs.

The forum already seems like a great resource and at the end of the day I think it's members that make it! Just keep providing quality content and the rest will take care of itself.

Default My answers

This is embarrassing. I've be playing over a decade but still feel like a beginner.

b) Favorite styles?
    My favorite styles are indicative of my favorite guitarists. They are: John McLaughlin, Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt, Frank Vignola, Jai Uttal, Frank Zappa

I have a Dell'Arte guitar, a Takamine classical guitar, and a Godin guitar synth

I don't know yet. I'm just getting to know it.

I'll let you know.

P.S. I look forward to learning what this site has to offer.

Thumbs up A Big Welcome to each of you!

Jklingensmith, Dioxic, and lotus_music, welcome to the TrueFire Forum!

It is always good to see some new faces who bring new ideas, fresh perspectives, and different tastes to the forum. This place is filled with good folks who all share a love for guitar and guitar music. A lot of us are older fellows who never gave up our day job, but there are all kindsof folks here and no two are alike. It really is a very cool place to hang out, have fun, and chat about all things guitar related. We are glad you folks are here. Be sure to send an e-mail with your mailing address in it to nancy@truefire.com and let her know you completed these questions and posted in the forum. She can send you your freebie from TrueFire. She is a super cool and awesome lady too!

Hi, my name is Brad

a) How many years have you been playing? Almost 40 but you'd never guess it if you heard me play. There were some non-playing times in there.

b) Favorite styles? Mostly what is now considered classic rock and metal but it was new when I started getting into it! Some faves are UFO (with Michael Schenker), Uli Roth-era Scorpions, Therion, Steve Hillage and Porcupine Tree along with the typical bands from the 70s everyone's heard of. I love Satch, Vai and the other "mutants", as I call them, people who are are so good it doesn't seem humanly possible.

c) Describe your guitar and rig. Main: Peavey Classic 50, SKB pedalboard with BOSS CS-3, TU-2, DS-1, PH-2, CE-2, BF-2, TR-2 and DD-6, AMT Japanese Girl wah and DanElectro Chicken Salad. Little setup: Marshall Lead 12, pedalboard with Bad Horsie, DS-1, Chicken Salad, Mooer Ensemble King, Ibanez DE-7.
    Guitars: Agile PS-900, Agile AD-2500, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ibanez EX360, Douglas A/E, Peavey Axcelerator bass.

d) What do you think about TrueFire? I love it so far and wish I'd looked at it a little more closely the first time I came across the site. I've had it bookmarked for quite a while. Better late than never!

e) How can we make this forum better for you? Too new to know that but I'm very impressed with it so far. It is great that the instructors will chime in on threads every now and then. I'm on some forums (one in particular) where at least one accomplished, known player was flamed by the "bedroom rock stars" and needless to say, he stopped posting there. What a waste of an opportunity to get info from someone who is actually living the life!

Welcome to the TrueFire forum. Speaking of accessible and friendly instructors I see that Neil Zaza already replied to your kind words about him. I'm glad to hear him mentioning his next course as well. It doesn't get much better than that. I think you will like it here.

Thumbs up Welcome, BradE!!!

Glad to have you with us here! I appreciated what you said too!