Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1498

Welcome Sj and Robert. Welcome to the best guitar site on the web in both content and membership support. I hope you enjoy the courses and jump into the forum. If you have and questions, there are a lot of helpful folks here. Ask away!
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Default After 7 years, finally introducing myself....

Hi All,

Love your company and lessons you provide. I have been a happy fan and customer since the early-mid '00 or so... A while back, I do not remember when I bought my first set of lessons to be honest.

Been playing guitar for almost 35 years.
    The big kicker for me was hearing Chet, Leo Jorma and Renborn
    back in 95 or so, as that brought into the fingerstlye camp.

Favorite styles.....hhmm... I guitar is the answer to that one
    I like a mix of classical pieces, jazz tunes, Tim Sparks, Adam Rafferty,
    John Hurt. Kottke, Juber and dozens of others.

I play mostly an AlHambra Nylon.
    Sometimes a Gibson 175 for jazz band.

I think the highest of Trufire in all regards.
    Aside from the EXCELLENT instruction,
    customer service is just top notch.
    I have been assisted via the phone a number of times, greeted with nothing but patience and politeness.

The forum is great. I like when the instructors chime in. That seems to keep the threads rolling along.

And I greatly appreciate the sales you guys have!

Thanks you guys. Keep up the great work!

Rob

Wink Well, it's about time! :D

Welcome to the forum Rob!

So cool to see a someone that sticks around with a company that long; I'm glad you've been enjoying TrueFire!

As you know, we've got a bunch of folks that are: interested in all kinds of different music, located in various locations around the world, and consists of various ages and levels. This is one of the reasons that makes visiting the forum exciting.

I recognize Juber and Kottke on your list of "likes." I enjoy listening to both of them and think they are fantastically talented guitarists. I've only heard about the other people you mentioned..this is a bittersweet moment for me. On one hand, I kick myself and ask why I hadn't heard "so & so" sooner/earlier; and on the other hand I'm just happy that I've come across them. So I'm sure I will be saying "thanks" so I'm just gonna say thanks in advance.

Like you, one of my favorite parts of the forum is when we get instructors posting. The members enjoy the ability to ask questions and get them answered by author of the course. You don't find that too often!

Thanks again for introducing yourself and sharing your thoughts about TrueFire. I hope you'll enjoy yourself here and get a lot out of it. See you around the forum!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. PebberBrown)
    MY GEAR: Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard; Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric; Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster; Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt; Yamaha CG172SF; Digitech RP300A

Red face Welcome, gtrrobster!

Glad to see you on the forum! You are already well versed in many other areas of the TrueFire playground so it is good to see you here too! Hang out, chime in, and have fun!
    Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "Guitar: for me it is just an all consuming, compulsive hobby." Alumini of Jeff Beasley's Shred Warehouse Classroom! & Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop!

Great to see you join the forum after all this time gtrrobster. Looking forward to having you around and sharing your experience(s). Welcome!

Wink

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year

A. How many years have you been playing: about 35 years, on and off. (why do I still suck!) Took lessons as a kid, and have been reinvigorated in the last few years by buying a couple of guitars and getting back into practicing.

B. Favorite styles: I play blues and jazz on the electric, but am mainly an acoustic player. Studied classical guitar as a kid.

C. Guitars: My favorite subject- I have a 1970s takamine "Hirade" classical guitar, a taylor T5 electric and a santa cruz OM PW. (my baby, and my handle. I play one, don't live there)

D. Truefire: I really like truefire and basically signed onto the forum to sing the praises of Marc Schonbrun's Efficient Guitarist, which has improved my playing and understanding of the guitar significantly.

E. The Forum. I have to ponder this one. The forum is fun, the more participation the better. Maybe more participation from the teachers?

Look forward to seeing you all on the forum!

santa cruz

Welcome Santa Cruz and apologies for being stuck in the Moderation area, it's been a little over sensitive lately. You've come to the right place to help get you where you want in your playing! Look around here and you'll see a lot of Instructor participation in their own Course Blogs or in response to questions put forth in student led course blogs. And you are right about that participation thing, the more participation the better experience for everyone and please do feel free to jump into any discussion or start any discussion. Welcome to the TrueFire forum!
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Red face Welcome Santa Cruz!

Glad to see you getting on the forum. It is one of the many rides here in the TrueFire carnival and they are all fun! We do have some instructors pop in from time to time. This week Jeff Beasley is posting each evening through Saturday in the YOUR Guitar Diary 2012 Thread. He did it just because I asked for his help. We may see some other instructors doing similar things from time to time. They do come around. Hang out, have fun, and enjoy the rides!
    Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "Guitar: for me it is just an all consuming, compulsive hobby." Alumini of Jeff Beasley's Shred Warehouse Classroom! & Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop!

Welcome Santa Cruz. I'm a big fan of The Efficient Guitarist too. Marc has always been good about popping in and answering questions on forum threads related to his course. Try doing a search for any threads that have his name on them. More good news is that he's working on a follow-up course to The Efficient Guitarist as we speak (or write). Hope we see you around the forum and look forward to any contributions and questions you may have. Enjoy and have fun!

Wink

Thank you guys for your warm welcome. Looking forward to Marc's new course (is it going to be about modes?), though I'm still working on his first one...see you on the forum,

SC

Talking hi

a) How many years have you been playing? 30 years

b) Favorite styles? Blues and Jazz plus Hendrix, I want to learn country as well

c) Describe your guitar and rig. Gibson LP R8, Fender Strat RW60 and 50, Fender Tele, Gibson 335, PRS singlecut, Epi joe Pass, Fender Tele Blackface, a Fender Supersonic, boss DD3, Chorus, ibanez tubescreamer,

d) What do you think about TrueFire? just joined, looks great

e) How can we make this forum better for you? In addition to skill development (riffs, rythms ..) I want to build up a repertoire soon, something line Top100 jam session blues songs or jazz session survival wirh Top50 real books songs for easy guitar. have not found anything regarding repertoire setup yet, but maybe I am wrong

Red face Welcome pkoehncke!

Glad you made your way to TrueFire and to the forum. You will find folks here ready to talk about all things related to guitar. Hang out with us and have a good time!

Welcome to the forum pkoehncke. You certainly have got yourself an impressive collection of gear there. From a PRS to the Tele to the Strat and even the Gibson 335 wow. It looks like you've got one of everything anyone could want congratulations. Well you are right about the lack of repertoire when it comes to standards. TrueFire doesn't do that really. I'm thinking only Tommy Emmanuel goes through some of his songs. And while there are songs taught in most of the courses it's not always the ones you'd be thinking about, most everything is about technique and improv and even Larry Carlton shows you more about how and why then about learning the songs he's famous for. I'm sure someone else might have a better take on that than me. Could you amplify more on what you're looking for. TrueFire is always taking suggestions and trying to find ways to do things that folks want to see.

Default Welcome pkoehncke!

Welcome pkoehncke! Glad to have you on TF and on the forum. Although there may not be specific courses on repertoire building (and it's a good idea), there are plenty of courses that can lead you in that direction and help you build the chops to come up with your own version of classic tunes. Howard Morgen's Fretboard Breakthrough is a very, very good one and Frank Vignola's Inversion Incursions come to mind right off the top of my head. Also any other of Frank V's courses. From there you can grab a fake book and go to town with a lot more understanding then you MAY already have. Lot's of guys on the forum will have other ideas, so I hope you'll jump and see where it takes you. It's hard for a guitar site to be everything to everybody, but TF easily comes to closest IMHO. Hope to see more of you!

Default May 2012 be Huge

Hello from Australia

1. I played for about 8 years stopped for 18 back on it for 7 - AND LOVING IT;

2. Favourite styles is tricky, at the moment I am really into exploring what I think is called Soul Jazz, eg early Benson, MacDuff, McGriff, Donladson, Burrell with Jimmy Smith, Mobley and Montgomery.

I play in an instrumental funk band so I guess I like the JB's, Maceo, Scofield etc and for something completely different I still love the underground metal from 1980 to about 1986 as well as any other music plaid with passion, from Tord Gustavsen Trio to GBH, from Louis Armstrong to Weddings Parties Anything, from Bruce Cockburn to Ted Nugent and everything in between.

So I guess in summary the style I like is stuff that grooves, swings real hard and has passion with cool.

3. My rig is an 99 Epiphone Dot Deluxe with Fralin P92's and a 99 Epiphone Broadway with Classic 57's through a Fender Deluxe Reverb 65RI with Xotic RC, Bradshaw Wah and an Ulbrick dirt box;

4. I am just learning about True Fire. Have checked out some of the Larry Carlton and Fox stuff. Put a good amount of time into Hamburgers 50 licks on you tube (but can only find about 24 - man they are tasty) and it lead me to purchase Vignola's jazz up your blues which is pretty cool (make sure Hamburger gets his $lick). Would be outstanding if it had a slow downer function on the audio.

5. I think I am too new to comment on the forum. Looks active so giddy up!

Welcome GGGomez! You've obviously got a lot of know-how that will be very valuable to everybody on the forum. I gotta like all the players that fascinate you in so many different styles and their influence. Most of all I like what you say about playing with passion. It makes all the difference in the world. Truefire is a very eclectic place when it comes to courses with lots of different playing styles. Sounds like you'll fit right in. Hope to see you around the forum a lot!

Red face Welcome to another fellow from DownUnder!

Hi GGGomez, Welcome to the forum!

Glad to have you with us. We have some other mates in your neck of the woods and we hope you make yourself at home here with the rest of us on the forum. Whatever your tastes in music, TrueFire seems to have something for every one. I love it. Enjoy and chime in when ever you get the chance!

Thumbs up questionaire

Feels like forever
    taylor acoustic
    country, country rock, old rock&roll
    new here but so far it feels comfortable
    keep in mind some of us are old

Welcome to the forum Bill. It won't be hard to keep in mind that some of us are old (not for me anyway), and there's many others like us here. I've no doubt that you're going to find the TF courses terrific, and a lot of the guys on the forum are a big help if you're looking for something specific. I'm an acoustic player mostly and I see that your main instrument is a Taylor. If I can help point you in the direction of acoustic courses that I prefer, don't hesitate to ask. If I can't help, then there will be plenty here that can. Enjoy playing and I hope we see more of you on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by billh7777 View Post
    Feels like forever
    taylor acoustic
    country, country rock, old rock&roll
    new here but so far it feels comfortable
    keep in mind some of us are old
    I don't think the guys at TrueFire can avoid knowing that some of us are 'old' -
    Seriously though, what do you think the TrueFire folks and the forum folks should do to make sure things stay friendly to the older guitarist? Some of the things we do on the forum is keeping things friendly and polite for the most part and even then we don't have to do much for that since the folks here friendly and polite naturally. If there is anything you can think of let the ideas flow!

Cool Welcome to the Forum, Bill!

Hey, my friend, we are not old; we are VINTAGE! Yeah, man!
    Glad to have you on the forum with us. Lots of cool folk and good info. Hope you enjoy it and participate often.

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for being so friendly. This looks like a really good place to be, a lot of talent and music knowledge.

Default If you can read this - then forum is back to being able to post

Got a post reply from Andy to a post - but most of you weren't on that thread. Forum is back up with posting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Introduce yourself, share your opinion,

a) How many years have you been playing?
    b) Favorite styles?
    c) Describe your guitar and rig.
    d) What do you think about TrueFire?
    e) How can we make this forum better for you?

3- Send an email to nancy@truefire.com with your TrueFire username PLUS your forum username if different.

Simple as that!
    Well I started playing pots and pans at maybe two, Got a little drum set at maybe 4.Yeah I killed them pretty fast as I was use to the Pot and Pans,
    Got a guitar at about 6 and learned how to play almost over night, nothing special but I could sing and somehow could just hear the 1 - 4- 5 chords.
    Parents did get me one or two lesson I was taught the major scale , not in the way most learn it , old man played these things called chords.
    Best I can remember it was in C , and he told me to put # numbers to the chords.
    3 majors/3 minors and forget that 7 and just play the 5 chord again.
    That was many moons ago, but it serve me well all these years so I am grateful for the instruction.
    We learned song's on this spinning wheels, records and albums.

Well that A on to B
    First song I remember learning was Hey! Good Looking.
    So I been trying to fuse this with every thing I play.
    So I am a Chicken picking country, blues, metal, folk R&B and Old country and rock and jazz that just got funked up.
    If it has a pretty melody I will listen, no melody not wasting my time.

C
    Well I think I have 9 Stratocasters , Most say Fender but a few say other names.
    I like Tele's as well and Gibson's sound good.
    For Acoustic.s I have old Martin's and A very old Taylor.
    Amps yeah there old too and they say Fender on them.

Use all kinds of multi effect boxes and there are used Often I carry two with me so if a person want's to jam they have to use you too.

If I have to use one guitar Guitar it would be a Tele with G &L pick-up in the front and a classic 57 in the rear end.
    The tone and volume knobs are reversed and it just plain rocks , not sure about amps , a old Princeton or a old Bassman that has the B rubbed off would be the amp.

D
    True fire
    I think it's great, something for every level player.
    E
    I am not good with PC stuff if anyone,cares to share links of how to use the forum here that would be great.
    I have trouble seeing the screen.
    I also am not able to find my older post as I said I could use any help with this.
    People are nice here and there are some very good players who use the site.
    All the best and thank's for sharing.
    Live, Laugh and Play
    Last edited by steveo; 02-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Hey folks new to TrueFire and lookin forward to improving my playing.....

1) Been playin for close to 30yrs on and off
    2) Favorite styles are blues, classic rock and jazz
    3) Fender Strat w/ Texas Specials and Gibson Les Paul w/ P90s into a Fender HR DeVille 4x10
    4) I've compared other lesson sites with TrueFire and this site is the best by far....very organized
    5) Forums are all about member participation, so far this looks like a great place
    "Take Five"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Well I started playing pots and pans at maybe two, Got a little drum set at maybe 4.Yeah I killed them pretty fast as I was use to the Pot and Pans,
    Got a guitar at about 6 and learned how to play almost over night, nothing special but I could sing and somehow could just hear the 1 - 4- 5 chords.
    Parents did get me one or two lesson I was taught the major scale , not in the way most learn it , old man played these things called chords.
    Best I can remember it was in C , and he told me to put # numbers to the chords.
    3 majors/3 minors and forget that 7 and just play the 5 chord again.
    That was many moons ago, but it serve me well all these years so I am grateful for the instruction.
    We learned song's on this spinning wheels, records and albums.

Well that A on to B
    First song I remember learning was Hey! Good Looking.
    So I been trying to fuse this with every thing I play.
    So I am a Chicken picking country, blues, metal, folk R&B and Old country and rock and jazz that just got funked up.
    If it has a pretty melody I will listen, no melody not wasting my time.

C
    Well I think I have 9 Stratocasters , Most say Fender but a few say other names.
    I like Tele's as well and Gibson's sound good.
    For Acoustic.s I have old Martin's and A very old Taylor.
    Amps yeah there old too and they say Fender on them.

Use all kinds of multi effect boxes and there are used Often I carry two with me so if a person want's to jam they have to use you too.

If I have to use one guitar Guitar it would be a Tele with G &L pick-up in the front and a classic 57 in the rear end.
    The tone and volume knobs are reversed and it just plain rocks , not sure about amps , a old Princeton or a old Bassman that has the B rubbed off would be the amp.

D
    True fire
    I think it's great, something for every level player.
    E
    I am not good with PC stuff if anyone,cares to share links of how to use the forum here that would be great.
    I have trouble seeing the screen.
    I also am not able to find my older post as I said I could use any help with this.
    People are nice here and there are some very good players who use the site.

All the best and that's for sharing.
    Live, Laugh and Play
    Hey there Steveo! TrueFire has just updated the software for the forum and so we're all learning right now. Now if you click up at the top where your nickname is you will be taken to your page. There you will find a list, this list -
    Send Email
    Home Page
    User Notes (0)
    Find latest posts
    Find latest started threads
    View Articles
    View Blog Entries

Click on the 'Find Latest Posts' to get to your latest posts. We'll figure this all out before too long and any questions let us all know, we'll figure it out together!

Quote Originally Posted by markst676 View Post
    Hey folks new to TrueFire and lookin forward to improving my playing.....

1) Been playin for close to 30yrs on and off
    2) Favorite styles are blues, classic rock and jazz
    3) Fender Strat w/ Texas Specials and Gibson Les Paul w/ P90s into a Fender HR DeVille 4x10
    4) I've compared other lesson sites with TrueFire and this site is the best by far....very organized
    5) Forums are all about member participation, so far this looks like a great place
    Welcome to the forum Mark! It sounds like you've got some cool guitars there worthy of a fellow who has played for 30 years. Glad you like the forum, we try to make sure it's as friendly as possible for everyone. Welcome again and don't forget to send the email to Nancy to get the free course download.

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    Hey there Steveo! TrueFire has just updated the software for the forum and so we're all learning right now. Now if you click up at the top where your nickname is you will be taken to your page. There you will find a list, this list -
    Send Email
    Home Page
    User Notes (0)
    Find latest posts
    Find latest started threads
    View Articles
    View Blog Entries

Click on the 'Find Latest Posts' to get to your latest posts. We'll figure this all out before too long and any questions let us all know, we'll figure it out together!
    Thanks
    Gadlaw.
    I guess the old post may have got deleted, what can you do I will look into this , say's I have one post LOL

There has too be a way to tag post, I saw where I think wolfboy tried to give a links.
    Well when I get my PC stuff work out I would like to Classroom with a few of the heavy hitters.
    I have clicked on link that I wish I had not people putting some pretty bad stuff out there it seems sex sell.
    I would hate to have to get a lawyer to explain I just clicked a link
    Well I think insanity would be my best defense.
    Thanks
    Last edited by wvgman; 12-14-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Classroom

I'm looking at you having 50 odd posts. Not that they are odd but you know what I mean.
    Definitely working on things here. If you see a suspicious post let the mods know if by some wild chance we missed it - wouldn't want anyone clicking on a bad link. Name:  steveo53.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  59.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    I'm looking at you having 50 odd posts. Not that they are odd but you know what I mean.
    Definitely working on things here. If you see a suspicious post let the mods know if by some wild chance we missed it - wouldn't want anyone clicking on a bad link. Name:  steveo53.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  59.7 KB
    It was old post. really just looking for that Dorian mode that was wrong and A way to follow important stuff , I am sure someone could add that the stuff I have plainly written in the Diminished scale.

I can see why first thought of steveo is odd , but It's old post I am looking for
    They ask how to make it better or easier well instruction would be needed, I see 5 year old post clips on the web make me feel not too bright,
    Some dude made a movie with my nick name, I don't even like the nick name, but we all know what happens if people know you don't like it LOL

The Dorian post was in the grey matter section and the Diminished stuff was in a Robben Ford post.

Blog Entries

Steveo
    To see all your posts, go to any of your posts and click on your name. You will get a popup, click on the item "ViewForum Posts". You will be taken to a summary of all your posts in reverse chronological order. This works for viewing any members history.

You can also use the "Advanced Search" in the upper right corner.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Steveo, I've soon a lot of your posts already and you're a great addition to what we have going on here already. But let this be my official welcome though. Keep pluggin' away and enjoy!

And welcome to Mark too. That's a lot of nice axes you have there. I can see from what you've written already that you'll fit right in. Hope to see more of you and your insights on the TF forum!

Quote Originally Posted by herby View Post
    Steveo, I've soon a lot of your posts already and you're a great addition to what we have going on here already. But let this be my official welcome though. Keep pluggin' away and enjoy!

And welcome to Mark too. That's a lot of nice axes you have there. I can see from what you've written already that you'll fit right in. Hope to see more of you and your insights on the TF forum!
    Thanks Guys
    I had too let REN take control of my PC , kind of feel stupid to do this but he loved it and fixed my new downloads from what I can now see.
    I have been using True fire product for many years, some of the older course and I get a few a year, for the past two years it been a few a month maybe LOL

I thought with Swat Members or Smokers you guy were the Moderators , than again I though that a Joint smoking is a place I am gigging at.

Well I will keep trying, may have too get one of those Idiot books,for PC.
    I link too how to use the forum may be a great idea, would keep me from going off topic
    Thank for sharing.

Keep the true fire burning and pass that thing around the fire side chats.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by rjbasque View Post
    Steveo
    To see all your posts, go to any of your posts and click on your name. You will get a popup, click on the item "ViewForum Posts". You will be taken to a summary of all your posts in reverse chronological order. This works for viewing any members history.

You can also use the "Advanced Search" in the upper right corner.
    I found them so thanks.
    even a blind dog find his food thanks with a little help for his friends.

Default New member from ABQ

Hi everyone, I've been hanging around a bit, so thought I'd introduce myself.

About 25 years. I started in my 20s as something fun to do and really enjoyed it, but never got too serious or very good. The instructors kept teaching lead, but never much rhythm and I was never able to steer them in the direction I thought they should go. I like playing lead, but felt that I needed some of the foundations as well. My last instructor was better in that respect, but I had to move due to a job change. After moving in 2010, I was so busy with the new house and new job that I hadn't had time or inclination to pick up the guitar.

b) Favorite styles?

Well, I started with blues and rock and still like them. However, for some time now I've been wanting to learn jazz and I like that I'm able to get into the theory and method here.

I'm pretty much a guitar into an amp guy with nothing but a tuner in between. My guitars are, for the most part, Fenders (or Warmoth bodies with Fender necks). My first guitar was an '87 American Std Strat and I guess I've developed a liking for the necks. I now have 4 Teles and 2 Strats. I tried a Les Paul, but couldn't handle the thick neck. (Also, it had trapezoid inlays on the neck and the 12th fret inlay looked just like all the others. Without the 2 dots on the 12th fret, I'm lost.) I also have an Epi Dot and that neck seems to be something I can deal with. I might try another Les Paul again with a thinner neck one day.

For amps, I've also been primarily Fender. I've got a '78 Deluxe Reverb and a (real) '65 Vibro Champ. I've also got a Peavey Classic 30 and a Vox AC4-TV.

So far, I enjoy it. I like that I'm able to choose the courses and set my own direction. I also like that I don't have to feel guilty if work or life got me too busy during the week to practice. So if I stink while taking the course, no one will care except me (and my wife and daughter . I look forward to getting into some theory and learning rhythm. What got me here (and playing guitar again) was an email I got about the 1-2-3 Jazz course. That seemed perfect for me as both a way to get an intro into jazz and a way to start playing again. I've since bought a few other courses (Beginning Jazz Guitar, 30 Pop & Rock Progressions, 50 Texas Blues Licks, and 50 Progressive Blues Licks), we'll see how they go after the 1-2-3 Jazz course. I'm really enjoying the 1-2-3 Jazz course and looking forward to the others. For whatever reason, I feel like I've made more progress with Frank Vignola's course than with my other instructors and I'm looking forward to what else I can learn.

And, hey, what about a slack key course?

It seems pretty good right now. I haven't been around too much, but I hope the forum isn't too, um, emotional. I like hearing about gear and how to play, but not so wild about some of the petty arguments (ie, "Dude, you're nuts. All solid state amps suck!").

Blog Entries

z5 welcome aboard.

Always great to get some new faces around here. Any questions ask away, and don't be afraid to pipe in.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

welcome
    ZZ
    glad you are incline to play again seems you have some nice amps.
    Franks 1 2 3 course I [reviewed it was a good starting course to the jazz side of town.
    Welcome aboard.
    I play solid state amps but not if any guitarist plays with a Tube amp

I think it's that True fire thing more than anything,
    tube amps kind of breath some kind of life in the music,
    Enjoy

Welcome zz! I don't know if everyone gets used to one kind of guitar neck and then can't go with the thicker ones or the other way around or if it's just us older folks but it does seem like that's the way it is. Interesting. As for the forum getting too emotional, you are in luck! We only do that once or twice a year and it's usually fairly well contained.
    Welcome again!

Welcome from me too zz5. There's not a whole lot of pettiness on this forum, which I know makes it a lot different from some of the others. I've been around here for a while now and have seen nothing but a lot of good and helpful folks. The ones who get petty don't seem to last long. They either change their behavior or leave. I've been looking over Frank V's 123 Jazz too and agree it's a great introduction to jazz. Looks like a pretty straight-forward, common sense approach to me, which is just the way I like it. Hope you enjoy everything here including keeping us up to date with how it's going with you, on the forum.

Thanks for the welcomes. I like the 123 Jazz course because it gets me playing songs. I've worked through the rhythm parts and now need to start on the lead bits. It looks like fun. I keep buying courses and I need to stop that for a while and catch up. I'm afraid I may be easily distracted though ("Hey, shiny!"). It's tough because I want to learn all these things and learn them now. Still I've got "Beginning Jazz", "Caged Cracked", "Fingerboard Breakthough", and several top 50 licks queued up. That ought to keep me off the street for a year or two.

Steve

Default Welcome, zz!

What more can I say than has been said already? We are glad to have you with us and you will most likely love this place! It is an amazing resource for guitar.

Cool

About 5 Years.
    b) Favorite styles?
    Punker!Metalove!Singer/Songwriter~~Acoustic Pop Rock
    Electric:Aria XX-1,Parker P-32,Squier CV Classic 50's, Acoustic:Westfield 12-String & Aria 6-String.And an Aria Bass Guitar.
    It's really an amazing site!I've never seen a guitar lesson website like this,especially the 30-day free-trial,really kind!You guys have my truly thanks!Keep On Rocking!
    Ahh,it's already good enough for me

Welcome claptrap! (Cool username BTW.) Sounds like you're already getting into the spirit of things around here. Enjoy the TF courses and I hope you'll keep us up to date on your progress!

Default Chimin' In

I've been playing about 30 years. I got off to a few false starts as a teenager and didn't really stick w/ it until I was 18. I'm now 47.
    b) Favorite styles?
    I started off playing nothing but traditional blues, but now I'm studying and playing jazz w/ Frank Vignola as a Classroom student. Prewar swing and gypsy styles from my focus, but I've been dabbling w/ bop too and w/ my trio I mix in western swing, honky tonk and vintage rock & roll.
    I have several, but mostly I perform w/ a National Reso-phonic Style O guitar and a Style 1 Baritone Tri-cone.
    I LOVE TRUEFIRE!
    As an old fart I find these kind of forums overwhelming and difficult to navigate. Is there somewhere to go to find out how to best use and add to threads?
    Last edited by wvgman; 12-14-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Classroom
    Scott Perry
    Husband, Father, Teacher & Musician
    http://www.ohpapa.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ohpapa

Hi there
    Finally thought I'd join in so here goes

1) Played in the 80's then stopped around the time of shred (to hard for mortals), Spent the 90s dancing around in fields to techno, finally starting to play again after I bought the North Mississippi Allstars live at bonaroo cd.

2) I try to listen to as many different types of music as I can, but a brief(ish) list goes like this
    Blues- Hill country all the way, Junior Kimbrough, RL Burnside, Otha Turner, Fred Mcdowell, Kenny Brown, etc. Blues rock is in a similar vein with NMA, Alvin Youngblood Hart and Eric Deaton. The rock stuff is Black Crowes, Howlin Rain, Buffalo Killers.The british free festival scene had bands like Hawkwind, Gong, Here & Now, the Ozrics, Also old punk bands like Crass, The Ruts, X ray spex and the Slits. Theres stuff like Funkadelic, Sly Stone. Betty Davis, Galactic, Soulive, Medeski Martin and Wood, Tinarawen, Pogues, Tom Waits, Nick Cave. Guitarist wise you have Tommy Bolin, Luther Dickinson, Sonny Sharrock, James Blood Ulmer, Wayne Krantz, Vernon Reid,Mike Stern, Charlie Hunter. Then theres the space rock, dub reggae, prog, and krautrock. I could go on but.....Groove and attitude are more important to me than a widlefest

3) My gear includes
    Guitars- Patrick Eggle Berlin Plus (the wife!!)
    a 97 Fender california strat
    PRS Se semi Hollow (open D)
    Washburn HB15
    Hudson acoustic
    Amp- Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
    Pedals- Buddha Wah
    Lovepedal Eternity Fuse
    Line 6 DL 4
    EH Soul Preacher
    Tc Electronic Polytune

4) Living up a hill in mid Wales, theres a lack of good teachers so Truefire has proved invaluable in helping me improve. The Juiced Blues course is great, Ive learned so much, and Inversion Excursion has made all those full moon hippy jam parties a lot more fun (no more bashing out an A7 in 3 positions for half an hour). Could do with some stuff on outside playing.

5) As for the forum It will be good to comunicate with other guitar nuts, even get some discussions going, who knows.(why are there so many SRV clones out there for example)
    Anyway Thats my 2 cents worth, Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by herby View Post
    Welcome claptrap! (Cool username BTW.) Sounds like you're already getting into the spirit of things around here. Enjoy the TF courses and I hope you'll keep us up to date on your progress!

Thank you Herby!I'll do my best!

I've never made it as a wise man,so I wanna be a clown and draw those hot chicks' attention.Though I think it might not be love.

Welcome to Jock and Ohpapa. I think both of you are going to find that you have a lot in common with a lot of the folks on TF (read: people of a certain age that have decided to get back into the guitar). There are so many good courses and teachers that anyone can find something(s) they can click with here. The forum is a great resource too, full of helpful and knowledgeable players, so I hope you'll both feel free to jump in anytime. Enjoy!

Default Wow, this is starting very well....

I have been playing for 30 years mostly just strumming camp fire type songs on an acoustic. Just got into electric 2 years ago and I am hooked...

b) Favorite styles?
    Blues, blues and blues..... and Rock.

Yamaha acoustic
    Fender Squier
    Epiphone Dot 335
    Epiphone Special ll
    and my favorite Fender Strat Lonestar MIA
    Rolland Cube 30X
    Boss Blues driver

This is a nice site. I was on another which I won't mention. I like everything I see

Keep it simple. I am not tech savy.... I am 50 years old....

Blog Entries

Hi, I finally registered on the site and started in on the courses after lurking for a few years.

A) Years playing: Since May 2011 - about 9 months so far.
    B) Favorite styles: At the moment, i am into heavy fuzzy stoner metal, but i sway from blues, hard rock and thrash and most stuff in between.
    C) Guitar and Amp: I have an entry level ESP H51 that my buddy helped my buy. It has been a great guitar, especially for the price. I have a Fender Mustang I Amp - a great beginner amp as it sounds good and has a ton of presets so that you can go from twin reverb to AC 30 to hi Gain metal in just a second. Great for practice and messing around.
    D) About Truefire: Truefire is pretty cool. I think you have a great community and alot of great resources. I really like the learning path idea - you should create more of them!
    E) Improve the Forum: The Forum is pretty good. No spam and everyone is very nice. Not much else you can ask for!

Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by plumbee View Post
    Hi, I finally registered on the site and started in on the courses after lurking for a few years.

A) Years playing: Since May 2011 - about 9 months so far.
    B) Favorite styles: At the moment, i am into heavy fuzzy stoner metal, but i sway from blues, hard rock and thrash and most stuff in between.
    C) Guitar and Amp: I have an entry level ESP H51 that my buddy helped my buy. It has been a great guitar, especially for the price. I have a Fender Mustang I Amp - a great beginner amp as it sounds good and has a ton of presets so that you can go from twin reverb to AC 30 to hi Gain metal in just a second. Great for practice and messing around.
    D) About Truefire: Truefire is pretty cool. I think you have a great community and alot of great resources. I really like the learning path idea - you should create more of them!
    E) Improve the Forum: The Forum is pretty good. No spam and everyone is very nice. Not much else you can ask for!

Thanks
    Tim
    Welcome to the forum Tim. Interesting that you lurked before buying a guitar and then the first guitar you got was a ESP Guitar which I've not heard of before but then on the East Coast, well Gulf Coast actually but close enough and haven't seen or didn't see any ESP Guitar's. But still, I see the price on the intro guitar and that's very reasonable. The Fender Mustang Amp is a pretty smart way to go as well. Well thought out approach to getting into learning guitar, especially the part about finding TrueFire.

Thanks for the compliments on the forum, I was just spam smashing this morning, it's a constant job and we get them way before they get to posting spam usually. Having lurked around you know what's going on here and probably have seen me write these words a million times - don't forget to email Nancy for your free licks, ask any questions you might want to and welcome aboard!