Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1475

Quote Originally Posted by 46mick View Post
    Just trying to confuse myself even more. Anyway i need to be doing my chromatics instead of surfing on here.
    Cheers
    This 'chromatics' talk sounds strangely familiar to me
    Welcome, Mick!
    Joao

Welcome Mick. You've come to the right place for a guitar player of any level. Never hesitate to ask questions on the forum. You're among friends. I'd particularly be interested in any questions you might have as a beginner. There are a lot of really knowledgeable folks around here. Practice smart, keep it slow at first and most of all.... enjoy!
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Default Welcome ustaknow!

I was reading your first post just now and was reminded of the first post I ever put on a guitar forum. I was so happy to find folks who knew things that I wanted to know and were speaking the language of music and guitar and it was great. I was sort of quietly starting to get acclimated and engaged and I responded to a post and then got warned by one of the Moderators for being 'Off Topic' and you know, the heck with that, I never went back there.

Anyways, I found your post engaging, interesting and informative. Welcome to the forum and welcome to TrueFire. I would certainly like to see some examples of your 'found' treasures. I know I've seen some inexpensive older Korean guitars with interesting wood on them that I've been thinking of buying and 'doing something' with. Of course I wouldn't dare touch one of my Fender's or anything that cost more than a few hundred dollars but I've seen some interesting wood electrics that are beautiful - how they sound I wouldn't know.

Anyhow, the thing that does concern me a bit was what you mentioned about the customer service you've experienced. Please know that if you have some issues with customer service we've been tasked by Brad (Chief Bottle Washer/Owner/All around awesome guy) with making sure folks don't fall through the cracks. And by we I mean all the SWAT guys and Jumper guys - we're just forum members who have been around a good long time who love TrueFire and the Instructors and everything TrueFire. If you have any issues or concerns and you aren't getting through via Customer Service, post in the forum, email me or any of the SWAT/Jumper guys and you'll have folks making sure you have answers. I've pointed out your remark to the guys who will check to make sure those aren't issues for anyone else. Questions, problems, issues - right there in the FAQ and Support section of the forum. Nobody will tell you to do a search for the answer, nobody will get snarky - and there are no silly questions.

Thank you very much for the introduction ustaknow. I used to know many things but as I get older I find I know less than I thought I knew all the time. But at least here I'm having fun finding out some of the answers.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Hey there and good morning ustaknow. I just got up this morning and am shortly out the door for part of the day and found your last post in the Mod Que and moved it over here. That's nothing unusual - posts by a new person frequently find their way into the Mod Que and don't show up until one of us finds it and approves it. An interesting post worthy of a longer response - I do read more than the first three lines often times. And I'll catch it later in the day. Thanks for the clarification on the customer service issues, it is being looked at. We're not a bot run establishment here most certainly although I do spend a good amount of time removing bot spam sign ups and keeping the spam out cause that's my thing.

Catch ya later man and thanks for hanging out!

Welcome usedtoknow (great name by the way ). I think you'll find lots of folks here that'll be very helpful with any problems you have here. Hope to get to know you on the forum. Don't be a stranger.

Default Hi, James here...

a) Been playing off and on (mostly off) for about 30 years. Play a little bass, too.
    b) I like pretty much everthing but especially all styles of rock, jazz, and classical.
    c) Have a Telecaster FMT and Line 6 Spider Jam.
    d) Truefire is a pretty cool site.
    e) The only thing that drives me a little nuts about Truefire in general are some of the product descriptions. Mostly they are over the top and filled with a bunch of hype. Just give a good description and let the content of the course speak for itself. Otherwise, I'm a pretty happy customer

Wink Welcome to the Forum, jimijames.

Good to see you here on the forum. It is a pretty cool place to meet and interact with other players. Hope you enjoy it.
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's best guitar player."

Default Welcome Jimijames

Thanks for dropping in and sharing some thoughts and welcome to the forum. I love my Tele as well after thinking it was the most ugly guitar I was never going to buy until I bought one and find it to be my favorite.
    As for the over hyping of the courses, I would only say that there are many sample videos of each course which gives you the 'real deal' of what you'd be getting. I do agree that once or twice the person writing the copy went a bit overboard and I think we've pointed those instances out. Welcome again!

Wink New Forum Member

Hi:

Although I started playing when I was 15 (a long time ago). I gave it up, having no interest in lessons and no self-discipline at that age. At that time I played sax in the school band, so I can read music, but never applied this to the guitar until recently.

So, within the last 5 years I have been teaching myself to play guitar and mandolin. I have also dabbled with slide/lap steel and bass.

My interests are folk rock, bluegrass, blues, country and jazz. I play in a local band doing mostly celtic, country, folk rock. I play rhythm guitar, mandolin and sing at bit. I've recently started writing songs and the band does a couple of these

I've found that online instruction materials have helped me a lot. Currently, I'm using the Truefire course West Coast Blues which gives me a lot of interest chord shapes and ideas for soloing. I also have Mimi Fox's Jazz Anatomy, and both Mark Stefani's Jazzed Blues and Chord Melody Cafe.

I own too many instruments (if that is possible), but I mainly play:

Takamine TAN16C Acoustic Guitar
    Eastman MD515 Mandolin
    G&L Commanche Electric Guitar
    Mesa F50 Amp
    Roland JC120 Amp
    Fender Acoustisonic Amp

I have a Godin Jazz Multiac with a Roland GR20 Synth rig which is sometimes used.

I haven't had any problems with Truefire, but I would like to seek more country and some bluegrass courses why not even develop a mandolin course for guitar players interested in doubling?

JB

Default Welcome JBGoode!

I just pulled your post out of the morning moderators que and validated it. Welcome to the forum.
    I agree with you about the Mandolin course, I see the ones that Homespun does and I'm not a fan of their delivery and style. For me it's much less useful and so I would love to see TrueFire sliding over to some of those instruments, Mandolin and Banjo and 12 String Guitar and such and some directed Bluegrass stuff. I can say that in the years I've been here they have moved slowly in that direction so let's keep hoping.
    OH, and when the survey goes for TrueFire that goes out once in a while don't forget to fill that out and make known your desires! They do listen to the forum and their surveys. Welcome aboard and glad to have you.

Welcome JBGoode (great user name, BTW). Glad you like what you see, and I hope we'll see you some more on the forum.

Red face Welcome, JBGoode!

Cool! Do you live back up in the country in the evergreens? Oh nevermind, I was just thinking of a song. Glad to have you with us. Chime in on any topic here in the forum. Participation is appreciated. Folks around here love to talk music, guitars, gear, and pretty much all things related to it. Make yourself at home and have fun!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's best guitar player."

Blog Entries

Default Hello Forum

Hi all,
    Well I am new to the forum.. and a renew to playing guitar. In my high school years I used to play drums and then guitar in my later school years. I use to listen, back then, to the Blues' Masters (Freddy King, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Fats Wallace.. etc.) back then when people were just starting to discovery Mersey Beat sounds.. (Animals, Pacemakers etc.. and yes, later the Beatles.. and Stones)

I have started playing again these last 18 months after reconstructing my life again.. and returning back to music... now I am listening to everything I can get my hands on.. Blues, Rock, Metal, Jazz, Cuban.. you name it.. I love music..

My favorite styles... well.. I wish I could play them all.. but reality is bitch... I am still learning or relearning to play, but I think I am leaning towards the Blues and Jazz genre and that style of playing (of course I have picked the hardest to learn)...

I mainly use my Gibsons and a custom made 30watt all tube amp and bunch of pedals which I am just discovering how to use..

I just discovered TrueFire, so really I am still kicking the tyres, as there is just so much out there to learn and so much offered.. but so far I do like what I have been able to see.. I would like to purchase a DVD or two on the holiday bundle program, and download them and run through those first before I commit to paying a yearly fee. I would also like to see how the program is run, and more important, where I fit within the program, with what I know and what at my age, (60s) ...I am able to learn.

I came to the forum to see basically... what is here, so it is hard for me at this time to make a comment on the activities of the forum, so for now I will reserve my comments for a later time...

Sky....

Red face Welcome, SkyHigh!

I saw your post in the Intro Thread and sent you a welcome there. Glad to have you here with us on the forum. Big place in some ways so take your time, browse around, and if you have anything with which we can help, post a question. Have fun and make yourself at home!

Hi,

Just discovered Truefire a few days ago. Looks like an awesome site.

In answer to the questions...

a) I played for a few years from about 14-16 (during my guns n roses phase), never had lessons or learned to play properly, just tab books etc, then kind of gave up and didn't touch the guitar at all until about 3 years ago (at the age of 30), I discovered a website called Spytunes which really sparked my interest in learning guitar properly and my interest has been growing daily since then. Don't practice anywhere near as much as I'd like, but I guess i must have made some progress in the last few years. Also became addicted to building guitars, still in the early days but I'll post some pics up here somewhere when I actually finish my first one...

b) I love blues and funk, Hendrix and Eddie Hazel are my heroes. Not really a fan of shredding, sure there's a lot of skill there but it sounds like s*** to my ears.

c) The only guitar I'm playing at the moment is a squire strat (soon to get a new body to replace the plywood one). I have an epiphone les paul (currently with no frets) and two builds I'm working on (one strat-like and one tele), I also have a Washburn bass and a washburn acoustic which very rarell gets played. I use a Zoom G7.1ut straight to a mixer as i have no amp (too expensive) and I mainly practice at night so use headphones anyway (kids sleeping).

d) Only been here a few days but I'm impressed with the site. Have already purchased Andy Aledorts Slow Blues and Chris Buono's 50 Funk Licks and Funk Fission. That should keep me going for a while
    e) I literally joined about 10 minutes ago (the time it's taken mw to write all this) so I don't know really. You could send me money for every post I guess

Anyway, better go practice

Welcome, Zoidberg! I look forward to seeing pics of your guitar builds.

Red face Welcome Zoidberg!

You will fit in perfectly here. I like the way you think regarding possible improvements on the forum
    send me money for every post I guess
    I am not so sure anyone at TrueFire HQ would approve it, but I love the idea. My wrists are hurting already. Glad to have you on board. Make yourself at home and participate as much as you can. Interaction is how we learn.
    Have fun!

Welcome Zoidberg! I'm glad you found your way here and glad to have you. Unlike lots of places on the internet we keep it friendly and laid back so feel welcomed here. Questions arising from the courses you're going through, general theory and playing questions and you'll always find someone happy to help. And I second what zaphod said about seeing your guitar building efforts.

Default Hi from Frankfurt,

I am excited to be here now.

a) How many years have you been playing?
    I startet in the early 70s. Unfortunatly with some (longer) pauses. For two years I started to play again in a quite regular way.

b) Favorite styles?
    Hard to tell. Did a lot of picking. Country style, Krautrock and some flamenco. (rudimentarily)

c) Describe your guitar and rig.
    I have an old Höfner accustic concert guitar and an even older 1970 mc. cormic fender rebuild western guitar. (quite cheap but excelent sound). And a strat of course.

d) What do you think about TrueFire?
    I ve seen a lot of music sites. I like the music directions and choices. Having a rythm and soloing part is great for practising.

e) How can we make this forum better for you?
    Hopefully the forum can give some good bets and fun.

Hi duke63. Welcome to the forum! Have a look around and make yourself at home.

Red face Welcome Aboard, Duke63!

Always glad to have some royalty with us on the old TrueFire bus! You story sounds like many of us who have played off and on over the years. I think you will love this web page and all it has to offer. TrueFire is an amazing company and the forum is a super place to talk about all things related to the courses, guitar, music theory, or whatever is related and some stuff that is not related to anything.
    Hang out with us and have a great time! Participation is highly encouraged!!!

Question Hi there ! (from Argentina)

I've playing for more than 10 years now !! Time flies guys .. make good use of it !

b) Favorite styles?
    Rock is my favorite .. but love to mix it with other styles (jazz, blues, latin)

Afer having tried many many guitars I´ve decided to go with 2:
    - Fender Strat Floyd Rose Classic Sunburst (USA, '91)
    - Gibson Les Paul Standard Honeyburst (USA, '90)

Definitely the best online place to improve one´s level .. best of all, no limits at sight !!

Let me try it a little bit and I'll let you know guys !

Galymania.

Default Welcome galymania from Argentina and Duke!

SO happy to have you here at the forum! Sorry it took a while for your post to show up - I found the post in the Moderator Section and immediately validated it. Regarding the types of guitar music you like I think we have everything with not such a good selection of Latin Music. Perhaps that might change eventually. A Fender and a Gibson guy - a traditionalist like many of us. Glad to have Argentina represented in the forum, I love our international guitar group here.

Hey Duke! What the heck is Krautrock? Are we talking Rammstein? Welcome to you as well Duke, glad to have you here as well. Make yourselves at home and feel free to jump on in or start any discussions you would like.

Hi there

I just joined the forum today, after buying my first Truefire course a few days ago, and this thread looked like the best place to say 'hello'

Too many! I was 17 when I finally convinced my parents that owning a guitar (partly with my money) wasn't a waste, but I didn't really learn to do much more than hold it and strum a bit until I was in my late twenties. I've dabbled with it on and off over the years, and I'm 40 now, so however we count that, it's longer than my meager talents would suggest.

b) Favorite styles?
    I'm a 40yo Dad - so Blues, and Blues/Rock - that's a given, right?. But I love listening to (and to a tiny extent playing) Funk and anything that grooves too.

I'm firmly in the 'more gear than idea' camp here : I have a twin-humbucker, twin-cutaway guitar made by a friend of mine and that's my main guitar. I also have a Les Paul Goldtop, and a Warmoth Tele. And a Furch/Stonebridge acoustic. For making it louder, I was really lucky to get hold of a Dr Z Maz Jr (they aren't that common over this side of the Atlantic) and I occasionally gig that with my little band.

I took some time to decide before buying the courses I did the other day, and everything so far seems to bear out what I thought I saw: high quality material delivered professionally. The forum seems to be active and useful too - a bonus.

One thing that occurs to me though (as you ask) - I may or may not remain a paid subscriber, but I have purchased some download courses. I wonder aloud why it's not possible to retain access to view online just those courses you have paid for without subscribing for general access (to save having to have the material stored on all of the computers I use) ? It's just a thought - hopefully I'll find it worth a regular subscription ;-)

It's early days, so we will see - although from first look it seems to do everything a forum should - allow the users to mingle in a way that adds to the core product.

I look forward to joining in

BD

Red face Welcome to the forum, Galymania and Britishdad!

Glad to see you both here. Britishdad, your post got stuck in the mod que, but I set it free. It happens sometimes with newer names. The mod que is supposed to filter spam, but sometimes it gets a bit aggressive. Several of the moderators check it very often to catch the good guys' post it snags.

Glad you both are here and I hope you get a world of enjoyment out of TrueFire and the forum. Lots of great things in TrueFire land including TrueFireTV and the Blog. Great learning tools and some super nice folks. Hope you each enjoy it as much as I have.

Welcome Britishdad. I'm glad to hear that your journey has brought you to TrueFire and to the TrueFire forum. Here at the forum we share your opinion about the quality of the learning material coming from TrueFire and we hope you'll find the forum here and the people in it the best guitar community support you could hope to find on the internet.

Your suggestion about having online access to courses seems a lot like a 'Steam' account where you buy the products and have access to them online from whatever computer you are on. I know it's technically possible since the online game community has that but I don't know that TrueFire has looked into doing things that way. It seems like another layer of complication which might bring the cost up of the courses but that's just my conjecture. I don't know, we'll ask the top brass guys about that.

Welcome again and make yourself at home!

Red face Hi BritishDad

I missed this part earlier (the older I get the more often such does happen). You mentioned,
    I wonder aloud why it's not possible to retain access to view online just those courses you have paid for without subscribing for general access (to save having to have the material stored on all of the computers I use) ? It's just a thought -
    An interesting thought it is. You can transfer the courses you download to your computer onto dvds. That is what I do so that I will always have a backup copy of them is something should happen to my computer. You can then play the dvds in any other computer if yours crashes.

Welcome to Truefire and the forum Galymania and Britishdad. You'll find plenty of helpful folks on here both Truefire-navigation-wise and guitar-wise. Warning though, Truefire can be very addictive (but in a very good way!). Jump in and enjoy.

Exclamation

Hi, looking forward to the adventure.

I started in the early 80s. But not seriously. tow a very long hiatus and started playing again a few years ago.

b) Favorite styles?
    Rock and blues is what I play the best however but these day more interested in americana and fingerstyle.

I have a DMEmartin acoustic (one of the cheaper ones but plays great). I also have a fender strat and a blues jr amp. Along with toys such as a keely compressor, moded blues driver, green screamer, chorus and line 6 m9. .

I really love the depth, breadth and teaching talent you have here.

Hopefully the forum can give some good ideas and aha moments. But too soon to be making suggestions.

Thanks wvgman & herby

Ayup BritishDad, n welcome.
    Love your avatar, it is exactly what I feel about this country
    Rock on
    Andy

Red face Hi BritishDad!

You are most welcome. Glad to have you.

Red face Welcome, JamesQuest!

I remember watching a cartoon series called "Johnny Quest" when I was a kid. I am almost certain that you are not a cartoon, so I won't ask the "are you related" question. Good to have you with us. I have got a load of ideas from the folks here on this forum and on the TrueFire pages in general. It is great place to hang and exchange info and ideas with fellow guitar lovers.
    Make yourself at home and particpate in all the threads you like and glean as much as you can. Loads of friendly people who do not mind sharing at all. I have learned alot from folks who post things and say, "Hey, look what I just discovered!" and guess what, it was a cool discovery for me to see what they had found.
    Enjoy!

Welcome Jamesquest. You're surely right when you talk about the breadth of teaching talent on TF. Here's to you having many of those "AHA!" moments, whether when following the courses or here on the forum. Lots of helpful folks around here. Enjoy!

Question

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I appreciate it. Jamesquest did get its inspiration from Johnny! Wvgman you are the first to notice

Went on a buying spree yesterday on main Truefire site. I know what I will be doing for the next 3-4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesquest View Post
    Went on a buying spree yesterday on main Truefire site. I know what I will be doing for the next 3-4 years!
    I like the way you think already James. Set goal lines, not deadlines!

Wink Glad to have you with us, James!

Well at least you know you will be having fun for the next 3-4 years and there is more where that came from. Loads more! Believe me.
    And it is all good!

Ok, my turn. After a couple weeks of previewing many different course, I thought I'd get my free one and answer the intro questions, though I did post an intro thread as well.

Hard to answer this one. I have owned a guitar or guitars for nearly 30 years now but probably played no more than a few years amongst the 30 and never very seriosuly or well at that...

b) Favorite styles?
    Blues, and Rock and maybe someday Jazz

Fender 40th Anniversary Strat, Tele Special, Gibson Les Paul Studio 6o's Tribute, Taylor 412 acoustic. Now down to one reasonable and useful practice amp, a Fender G-Dec 3 30, instead of the 50w vintage tube amps I recently sold. Don't even know why I ever had those (yes, two of em)

So far so good, there is some good stuff here! I do think that some of the courses aren't very good and many are more "demos" of material than actual instruction, at least as I relate to them

I can't think of any changes but I wish it were a bit more active in general. I bet the nature of the beast is that many folks come and go as perhaps will I if I don't stick with it this time or otherwise decide not to spend the money on TF

Default Hello from Cleveland

a) How many years have you been playing? a little over a year
    b) Favorite styles? Blues
    c) Describe your guitar and rig. Ibenez acoustic and a knock off strat
    d) What do you think about TrueFire? The best site for learning on the web
    e) How can we make this forum better for you? Its great as it is

I am going to upgrade can someone tell me a little more about the packages. Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carman9941 View Post
    a) How many years have you been playing? a little over a year
    b) Favorite styles? Blues
    c) Describe your guitar and rig. Ibenez acoustic and a knock off strat
    d) What do you think about TrueFire? The best site for learning on the web
    e) How can we make this forum better for you? Its great as it is

I am going to upgrade can someone tell me a little more about the packages. Thanks, Steve
    Welcome! The information you seek is on this page http://truefire.com/join/

Or look below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Red face Welcome to Jn999 and carman9941

Glad to have you both on the forum!
    I see Gadlaw has already post the link for the package question. You will find lots of folks here ready, willing, and able to help you with anything they can related to guitar and TrueFire. Hang out, have fun, and make yourselves at home.
    You are encouraged to participate as much as you can.

Thanks for the fast replies and warm welcome.... I should of been clearer on my question. What is GUITAR LAB ?

Red face Guitar Lab

TrueFire students at the old level 3 program and now the new Master Level receive a monthy disk (now it is in the form of a download and not a physical disk). These are the Guitar Lab Disks mentioned in the comparison of student level plans. These disk are usually later compiled into one of the TrueFire courses and sold as courses. If you want to see some of the ones from the past, search Guitar Lab and Brad Carlton. As far as I know, Brad Carlton is the only instructor whose Guitar Lab courses started out as the montly disks even though other courses have been released under the Guitar Lab classification.

Hope that helps. I think it is worth the extra just to get what will eventually be a full course that you did not have to buy separately.

Yes sir it was just the answer I was looking for, Thanks, Steve

Default Hello from the UK

I've been playing for a couple of years and committed to getting more serious around 6 months ago.

b) Favorite styles?
    I'll listen to and try to play almost anything, although for some reason my listening tends towards the heavier end of the spectrum and my playing is currently moving in completely the opposite direction.. Fingerstyle !?

Carvin DC127, Telecaster, Mac with Guitar Rig and Band in a Box.

The strength of the site is the depth, breadth and quality of the material. I've found myself picking up and trying to play things I would never have considered in the past. This is really helping me narrow down a lot of problem areas to work on. The quality of the courses also seems to be excellent.
    One weakness is the lack of defined learning paths (I've seen the Learning paths email, so I know this is being addressed). Other than that not a huge amount really.

For me it's all about active participation and respect for the views of others.

Red face Welcome, sjtaylor147!!!

We are glad to see you here on the forum. I liked your comments. This is over all a pretty cool place with lots of interaction and discussion on just about everything related to guitar and music. Happy to see you join us and please do participate as much as possible. We are a collective effort. Hang out, have fun, and make yourself at home here.

Smile

Welcome to the forum sjtaylor147 !!!!

Look around and dont hesitate to ask questions.

Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Unhappy

Greetings and Happy New Year to All!

a) How many years have you been playing? Got into it for five years or so, then on and off for the next 20 (!) years.
    b) Favorite styles? Blues Rock and Jazz.
    c) Describe your guitar and rig. Fender Strat, and Vox AD30VT. Oh and a little Martin
    d) What do you think about TrueFire? So far, I think the site content is amazing, and the instructors not only know their stuff but are so cool and enthusiastic!
    e) How can we make this forum better for you? More free stuff? ;) Keep up the good work!

Rob

Red face Welcome rrobert!

Glad to have you on the TrueFire bus with the rest of us guitar loving folks. Many of us here have played off and on over the years, but you never lose the love for the music once it gets you.
    This a cool place with lots of neat stuff to learn and discuss with folks of similar passion. All questions, comments, and input is welcome. Hang out, have fun, and make yourself at home. Be sure to check out the entire TrueFire web site for super cool stuff. Oh, yeah, Happy New Year to you too, my friend! Hope it is a super year for you and your music!

Default Welcome sjtaylor and rrobert

Welcome to the forum folks and glad to see you here.
    This is a good place to help get you moving in the direction you want to move in guitar wise. If you're looking for more free stuff, then sign up to the TrueFire Insider and occasionally there is a free course download from the back catalog as well as information about the best sales, upcoming courses and opportunities to get first look at some courses in the way of Bug Hunts - free access to the course while checking to make sure it's all good to go. And of course, when you get notified of new courses coming out you also get an additional discount for the introductory nature of the course. So free, semi free, - it's all good.

I love the Fender love here from both newer guys.