Default two cents worth

Hi,
    1) I have had aguitar for about 4-5wks now, so new I still have sore fingers from trying to practice.

2)I have not mastered the guitar enough to have a favorite style, at the moment any easy painless style. LOL

3)Encore Electro Acoustic Dreadnought Guitar, and i have bought a second hand amp,(then every one can share my mistakes)

4) out of all the programs I have researched for lessons on line, TrueFire seem to have mastered the art of getting the information across to the true novice (like myself)the sample videos are easy to follow and digest, i just need the time to keep up the practise sessions.

5)Being new it is hard to comment, but i dont see many novices comments, are other people having the ame problems as me? is the pain general? how do you find the time etc, :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by agste
    ...I still have sore fingers... Acoustic Dreadnought Guitar
    Sometimes I tune my acoustic down a half step and it is a lot easier on my fingers. Instead of tuning the strings (thickest to the thinest) E-A-D-G-B-E, I would tune them Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb. Basically I am tuning so each string is one fret lower. A one fret movement is also known as a half step.

The good news is that playing an acoustic will make your hands a lot stronger than playing an electric.

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyhere
    thanks beboy. I have full tv access so I'll have to go check that out. I really appreciate the point in the right direction!
    Since you have full tv access, checkout the section called "Mixed Bag". It contains the Monthly CD-Roms that haven't been made into a course.

Here's some mixed bag videos that are theory and technique based:
    Vertical Soloing
    Melodic Patterns
    Groove Builder
    Chord Scales

thanks for being so helpful! Its very appreciated.

Hello,been a Truefire member for several years but just recently enrolled in TFUniversity level 2.

I've played guitar for 25 years but only got real serious over the past couple of years.

Love surf music, plain old garage style rock and absolutely eat up all the Stax/Volt stuff

I"ve been around the mill with equipment but have finally found a killer Strat with much modifying and a also heavily modified Blues Jr. amp and Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 Cab

I LOVE TF university. I'm sometimes on the all access TV 2 or 3 hours a day. Can't get enough, especially like the Brad Carlton stuff, CAGE CRACKED, BLUESOLOGY, etc.

I'm new to forum, I don't know much how to improve it, other than I hope alot of people participate.

1- How many years have you been playing?

-About 23.

2- Favorite styles?

- Rock, Classic Rock, and Blues

3- Describe your guitar and rig.

- Almost too many to list, most all the majors, Fender Strat Ultra, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender Telecaster, etc. Then some interesting stuff like a Gretch Viking, Gibson Hummingbird, and some custom ones I've built.

4- What do you think about TrueFire?

A great deal of amazing information and lessons in one place.

5- How can we make this forum better for you?

Gotta have some more topic areas to divide up the forums more.

I started many, many moons ago, when I was about 14, dropped it because I had other things to do and came back to it about 4 years ago
    2- Favorite styles?
    Blues, Rock, Surf, Instrumental
    MIA Fender Strat, Burn's Marquee, Hofner V2, Seagull Folk, oh, and a cheapo Justin Tele.
    '58 (?) Gibsonette amp, Peavey Royal King 8, Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine, Watkins Copicat echo and a (very) few pedals

Pretty good, I'm an occasional visitor. Some good lessons.

You could make the login the same as for the main site, it's unnecessary to have to register twice.
    Other than that, the popularity or otherwise is in the hands of the users.

Default Me & Mine

Hi Brad,
    I started playing in 1974 when I received a Stella el-cheepo 6-string acoustic. I played the frets off that one and stopped playing altogether when I joined the Navy in '76.

About 6 years ago my wife bought me a Honer for Christmas which got me interested in playing again. Since then I have acquired several guitars and have gotten interested in building as well as playing.

I am a member of the Praise & Worship band at church and jam with friends from time to time.

I grew up on folk, dixieland, blues and folk, but I play mostly contemporary Christian and various rock stuff.

Depending on what I'm playing, my fav axe is an Ibanez RZ320 w/Duncan upgraded pickups followed closely by a 2002 MIM Strat which has a SuperStrat upgrade and Hotrails at the bridge position. I also have a traditional Tele that I built to match my Strat color-wise but is configured like the typical 90's production.

I signed up for TFU Student level 2 a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it. I have picked up a bunch of techniques that has already made an improvement of my performing abilities.

There is an additional function that TrueFire could address: I think it would be cool to hook up with other striving musicians in my local area & TrueFire could serve as a point of initial contact. Waddya think?

Blog Entries

One of my favorite guitarists of all time, Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser, yes the man who wrote "Don't Fear the Reaper and Godzilla" started his playing career on a Stella accoustic as well. You are in the company of greatness Mr. Bobwow :D

I kinda stopped (except for some classical and flamenco) playing as well when I joined the Navy as well in 84. Wasn't till 2001 that I started getting back into playing electric then in 2003 got involved in a band. Welcome now sign thee up for the "SWAT Team!" If words ever fail you post some sea stories. Everyone likes a good shore leave/commie huntin/deck swabbin/barnacle encrusted seven seas adventure now and then :eek:
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

tangoman Guest

Lightbulb Hopefully more that my 2 cents worth!

My name is Franklyn and my Truefire handle is Tangoman. I live in Sarasota, FL. Luckily for me as I'm very glad to be less than an hour away from to TrueFire's HQ. I'm 56 and retired. I worked in the Information Technology field for many years. Also taught at the University and High School levels and earned a M.S degree in Criminology at Florida State University and completed a Graduate Teacher Licensure Certification program at the University of Virginia-Falls Church.

I like many music styles and genres while preferring music that is guitar centric like Eagles, Clapton, Knopfler, Croce, Taylor, Beatles, and Classicals.

My Equipment:

Epiphone Les Paul - Ultra II
    While some might fret at the thought of owning an Epi, This guitar is a great one for the price at approximately $750. Until I can afford a Gibson, if ever, this is the one for me.
    This puppy for the price in my opinion is awesome if you use it to it's capabilities. It has two separate pickup systems with separate output jacks. One system has two pickups and the other has a pickup they call a Nanomag that is actually built into the fretboard's scale sweet spot giving you an amazing acoustic sound. This puppy can be setup to play like an acoustic or an electric controlled by a foot switch. Both pickup systems can be active individually or together. I have provided below links to see videos from the Epihone’s web site, and a comprehensive 11 minutes video review by Paul at Guitar World magazine.

Washburn WI-64DL Electric
    This guitar features Washburn’s Voice Contour Control System.

Takamine EG-124SC Classical Acoustic Electric
    Nice classical guitar

Yamaha Piano Keyboard YPT-300
    It’s a keyboard,

Guitar Rig Session I/O with Guitar Rig 3

Boss BR-600 Digital Recorder

Tascam MP-GT1 Guitar Trainer

Roland MicroCube Practice Amp

Finale 2006 Notation Software

Cubase LE 4 – Music Production Software

Guitar Pro 5
    My Next Purchase:
    Kawai CE200 Digital Piano – Approx $1,800 street
    Possibly one of the best non-portable digital pianos right now.

Why Do I Love Truefire University?
    Unlike most music or instrument web sites out there that give you mostly a barrel-full of “lessons” that stand alone without any structure or curriculum, Truefire’s course structure puts together a course package together that steps you through lesson by lesson on the course topic and providing both text, jams and even tab downloads that can immediately be put to use. As a former educator, I know that attempting to learn anything without a formal structure or the ability to measure a level of success is crucial to any learning effort.

I hope the information here has been somewhat useful. Give me a shout and let me know.

Tangoman

Links:

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
    http://www.epiphone.com/ultraII/default.html

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II - Guitar World Magazine's Review (11 min video)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ao2CVfUwNjI

Washburn WI-64DL
    http://www.washburn.com/products/ele...ol/wi64dl.aspx

Takamine EG-124SC Classical Acoustic Electric
    http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=887&sid=522

Kawai CE200
    http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/di...EMI/ce200.html

Hello to all:

I am happy to be a new member of this community

My name is Dave.

I have been playing guitar for almost 30 years
    Myfavoriate styles are classic rock, Rock and "Power Pop". My strength has been in writing originals, but after all these years, I have begun to revisti and relearn my lead guitar approach.

I have several Tom Anderson guitars, a Taylor 812, and a couple of 62 Strat copies and I run them through a Bogner Extacy.

I think Truefire is great! I think there are some aspects that could be slightly improved, but it sure as heck beats anything I have seen in the market!

Lastly, when asked "how can the forum be improved?" I think a more active community is what it requires!

Thanks

Dave

Blog Entries

Nice gear and welcome to the forums as well as the SWAT team. I am a bit late responding in this thread but glad you came aboard. A Bogner Extacy was probably not your first amp. I am curious as to how you ended up with it and your thoughts as to it's capabilities and performance? :cool:

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Arrow My 2-cents

Hey Everybody
    My name is Bryan . I started playing guitar at age 13 after a short , and I'm sure painfull to anyone who was listening :eek: , stint on the violin . I played guitar on and off for about 13 years , and then ( I kick myself everyday now for this :( ) stopped for 20 years or so . Now at the ripe age of 50 I've been back at it for short while . Mostly fingerstyle steel string acoustic , some classical , and electric .

I would say that I mostly play Blues /jazz styles or should I say TRY TO PLAY .

Equipment :
    My main guitar right now is a Larrive LV-09E
    My electric is a house brand guitar that I'm sure no body has heard of "BARKLEY" Think les Paul jr. copy . I had a great tech here in Vancouver ( Nicole Alosinac ) redo all the electronics , nut , tuners , bridge ,etc. , and it sounds great . It is now 30 years old with a new life .
    I am waiting for a luthier named Rob Bustos of Paragon Guitars in North Vancouver B.C. Canada to finish a Grand OM the he is building for me . Around the end of September he tells me : can't wait

Well suffice to say I think Truefire is great . So far Brad Carltons lesson's have been the most enjoyable to learn from . I like his delivery , and enthusiasm . I feel like a kid in a candy shop sometimes though when I'm looking around the site ; so much to learn . I've already bought enough material to keep me going for a few years .

Not being much of a forum chatter not sure what to say about this question . I guess as time goes by , and I become more involved I'll have a better idea of what to suggest for improvments .

Well that's my story , and I'm sticken to it !
    Here's to a bright guitar future for all of us .

Default Greetings Bry50

Welcome to your demographic age group here. Actually there's folks of all ages but there does seem to be a demographic of medium aged folks who are picking up the guitar after a break or who have picked it up for the first time. A sizable population of us. Thank goodness there are so many more experienced guitar dudes here as well. Well, glad to see you and there's no need to be lurking, the squeaky wheel gets attention here. If you have questions please don't hesitate to post them, if you have course suggestions those guys deciding what to create would sure like to see them. Did you see the other giveaway Improv Tool Kit for just a dollar? All kinds of great stuff and like you said, we're kids in a candy store. Glad to see you Bryan.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bry50
    ... and then ( I kick myself everyday now for this :( ) stopped for 20 years or so . Now at the ripe age of 50 I've been back at it for short while...
    Bryan welcome to the 'club' literally and figuratively. I think there are a whole bunch of us 50 something, the kids are grown up and I'm back at the guitar types. We're all friendly and enjoy asking and answering questions and such so feel free to join in on the asking and answering...

and ...
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bry50
    My main guitar right now is a Larrive LV-09E

I had never heard of these guitars. I looked them up and that is a heckuva nice accoustic. I bet it has a real nice tone as well. You will have to post some photos of your electric when you get it.

Welcome!

2- Favorite styles?

Blues: 3 Kings, SRV, clapton, and current stuff, Rock: Townsend, Page, Beck, EVH, Satch, etc...

Mostly strats, a tele, les paul. Hot Rod Deluxe, Tonelab LE

It's pretty cool. I like the lesson content and videos. Very helpful stuff.

Don't know, it's pretty darn helpful!

Blog Entries

Welcome Wagdog, looks like you fit in with many of the crowd here. Hop on the forums and tell us your favorite course or how often you practice etc. Do you ever play live? What are you working on now?
    Or...just lurk, no problem but the water is fine if you care for a swim ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1
    Welcome Wagdog, looks like you fit in with many of the crowd here. Hop on the forums and tell us your favorite course or how often you practice etc. Do you ever play live? What are you working on now?
    Or...just lurk, no problem but the water is fine if you care for a swim ;)
    Thanks, I'll lurk around for a while.

I play in a 3 piece + singer rock band and we play pretty much every weekend. I practice as often as possible by myself and once a week w/the band.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    2- Favorite styles?
    1. On and off for 30 years. ) Actually played bass for most of those)
    2. Rock and Alternative
    3. I've played my 81 Gibson Les Paul Standard straight through A Marshall JCM602 for years. I've recently aquired a Digitech RP350 that I like for higher gain stuff and wah wah.
    4. Man, Ive just barely scratched the surface but so far ir looks like a great site. If I had had something like this when I started playing maybe I would have played more on than off over the years.
    5. Honestly, I'm to new her to say but I promise that in the future, if I have any ideas for making the site better I'll drop you a line.

Thanks for all you do!!!

Mike

Default You Forgot to Mention your Tonelabs -

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog
    Thanks, I'll lurk around for a while.

I play in a 3 piece + singer rock band and we play pretty much every weekend. I practice as often as possible by myself and once a week w/the band.

Cheers.
    You forgot your link http://tonelable.com/ - cause you know, it's always good to have your links spread around.

Default Welcome aboard Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dega500
    1. On and off for 30 years. ) Actually played bass for most of those)
    2. Rock and Alternative
    3. I've played my 81 Gibson Les Paul Standard straight through A Marshall JCM602 for years. I've recently aquired a Digitech RP350 that I like for higher gain stuff and wah wah.
    4. Man, Ive just barely scratched the surface but so far ir looks like a great site. If I had had something like this when I started playing maybe I would have played more on than off over the years.
    5. Honestly, I'm to new her to say but I promise that in the future, if I have any ideas for making the site better I'll drop you a line.

Thanks for all you do!!!

Mike
    Welcome Mike. Let us know how you like that CD course when you get it. That's how they get you you know, good quality stuff and you're hooked. Don't forget to browse the Truefire site and check out all of the for free videos and downloadable, printable files so you can see if there is stuff that really fits with what you do. A lot of it's above my head as I've started late but you know, without sites like this I'd still be wishing I could play guitar instead of playing it. :D

Wink

1.I've been playing about 14 years. Lately I've been making more of an effort to improve my skills instead of playing the same things over and over.

2.I've played acoustic guitar most of my guitar playing days. Finger picking folk and a little bluegrass. Within the last year I've been concentrating on mostly electric guitar. Some newer and older Rock.

3.I have a Fender acoustic, a Peavey Predator, and an Epiphone LP 100(Les Paul) For amps I have a small Kustom 6" practice combo, and an Epi Valve Jr.

4.Well, I've only just discovered TrueFire, But it seems like a really cool place to learn and socialize with other musicians.

5.I haven't Been around here long enough to say. So far, so good :cool:

Default Greetings RyGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RyGuy
    1.I've been playing about 14 years. Lately I've been making more of an effort to improve my skills instead of playing the same things over and over.

2.I've played acoustic guitar most of my guitar playing days. Finger picking folk and a little bluegrass. Within the last year I've been concentrating on mostly electric guitar. Some newer and older Rock.

3.I have a Fender acoustic, a Peavey Predator, and an Epiphone LP 100(Les Paul) For amps I have a small Kustom 6" practice combo, and an Epi Valve Jr.

4.Well, I've only just discovered TrueFire, But it seems like a really cool place to learn and socialize with other musicians.

5.I haven't Been around here long enough to say. So far, so good :cool:
    Welcome on board sir. Finger picking folk and a little Bluegrass is a good place to have started. That's where I've been at. It seems like they are getting more country/bluegrass type courses here, heck there's a bunch of anything you might like over in the Truefire TV area. It's a good place here and it's growing. Welcome again. :D

Blog Entries

14 years heck you've hardy worn out your first pair of strings :D

Seriously, welcome. A Peavey Predator and Epi Valve Jr should generate some nice tones. That's an interesting rig. I've never played either but they both have their fan base. I always thought the Predators had a cool headstock

No doubt you can rock with that set up :cool:

Exclamation

Hey Everyone!

I have been a TrueFire subscriber for serveral months now. When I checked this forum once before, it wasn't very active. I hadn't been back in a long time and now it looks like thins have really taken off here.

I have been playing for around 20 years. I took a break for about 10 years or it would have been 30 years. I have been in and out of a number of bands over the years. I have played quite a few gigs over the last 5 years.

2- Favorite styles?
    My favorite styles to play are Blues, Rock/Classic Rock and Country (New Country, I am not a big fan of the old stuff)

My guitar rig has grown vastly in the past couple of years. I was mostly a Fender player. I really like the American Fender guitars. I have a couple of Strats and a couple of Teles (American Standard and American Deluxe in each). I purchased an American Hamer Monaco Elite last year. This was my first step into a hand built guitar. They make very nice guitars. Since then I have purchased 3 PRS guitars (Custom 24, Custom 22, Swamp Ash Special). I really like these guitars a lot.

Amplifiers are another place that I have made a few investments. A couple of years ago I decided to go with all tube amplifiers. I have sold off all but one of my solid state amps. I currently use a Mesa/Boogie Roadster head with a 2x12 cabinet for my main amp. This thing has so many nice tones in it that I am always finding something a little different in it. I used to use a Peavey JSX 212 combo for my main amp before this. I use that as a backup or will take it as my main amp on occasion depending on what I am playing that night. I have a Peavey Triple XXX 112 combo that I use for practice. I like these amps a good bit too. The JSX has provided me all but one sound that I was looking for and the Mesa/Boogie gives me that sound and all of the others. I keep thinking about playing a gig with the Triple XXX 112 some day. I think it would do well and it is easier to carry...

I am a big fan of TrueFire. In fact, I have been working with and playing on computers and the internet for about 17 years and I have never found a web site that I felt was worth paying a subscription fee to. This one changed that. I found the information on this site to be exactly what I have been looking for to keep my playing fresh. I called and talked to someone at TrueFire and asked a number of questions. By the time we were done, I was giving them my credit card number and getting in on the action here. I have never regretted it. The only thing I regret is not having more timeto comb though the vast amount of information on this site. I have a list that I have made up of all of the lessons that I want to work through. I just keep working my way through the list. Of course there are new lessons getting added occasionally as new ones come our or I stumble across another one that looks interesting.

One thing that I have found helpful is watching lessons that you may not think will teach you anything because you are advanced beyond that level of knowledge. Brad has a really good ability to convey things to you in a manner that makes sense. I have picked up a few things from some of the lessons that I thought were not going to teach me anything. It has been things that once you hear it, you think, that makes perfect sense, but I had never thought of it. This is a great site and a great resource for me. I will be a subscriber here for a very long time.

Get more Bass lessons up. Bass playing really makes you look at your scales in a whole different light. Besides, I have some bass player friends that I would like to turn on to your site...

There have been a few lessons that I have viewed online (I can't tell you which ones now) that didn't have the PDF files attached to them. They were referred to in the video but not available to look at and print. Having those would be helpful.

Come up with a way that we can download some of the lessons or older stuff and burn it to CD so we can have a copy of it. This could be priced cheaper since you wouldn't have to burn the CDs or print any thing. I like to have copies of this stuff locally so I can take it on the road with me when I am traveling for work and am setting in an airport or am on vacation and have my laptop with me but don't have access to the internet.

I know those are suggestions for the web site in general. I don't know how you can make the forum better at this point. I would say that if there are people on here that can answer questions about lessons and such, that is about all you need.

Blog Entries

JasonE

There's a ton of us folks in here that took 10-20 years off and got back down to it. I hear the Mesa Boogie amps are awesome.

Welcome to the forum, see you in the threads.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris

Thanks for your post JasonE. After reading it I feel like I have gotten to know you a little bit.

I think TrueFire has recently started doing podcasts or rss feeds or something like that (I don't know anything about such things ) and maybe that would give you something to listen to while traveling, etc.

I have visited True Fire a few times but didn't know it had a forum! I saw this thread on Harmony Central and thought it was awesome you were giving out a free DVD! Thanks!

2- Favorite styles?
    1) I have been playing for 5 years. I started when I was 37 and I just turned 42 last weekend

2) My favorite styles are Blues, Classic Rock (I have been on a MASSIVE AC/DC kick lately!), Country...but I also listen to some Jazz and Classical once in a while.

3)Well here is my rig:

Guitars

• Fender MIM Telecaster
    • Squier '51
    • Agile Al2000 Cherryburst w/p90's
    • AL2000 Goldtop
    • SX SST Ash Strat
    • Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
    • Washburn D-121S
    • Fender San Luis Rey

Amplifiers

• Fender Blues Junior Blonde
    • Fender Vibro Champ XD
    • Roland MicroCube

Pedalboard

4)I really like True Fire. It's been a while since I have been here but its only because there are so many sites these days I bounce around all over.

5)Keep doing what you're doing with these free give-a-ways! :D Honestly...just keep doing what you're doing!

Default Wow Mikespe - Did you have that Pedal Photo Up and Ready?

As an Acoustic guy I can only say what? :eek: But even I know that's an impressive number of pedals in one place. For someone playing only five years it looks like you've made up for lost time. Anytime you want to take your setup over to the Guitars,Gear and Software Section to explain what all of that is for it would certainly be an interesting read. Welcome to the Forum.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw
    As an Acoustic guy I can only say what? :eek: But even I know that's an impressive number of pedals in one place. For someone playing only five years it looks like you've made up for lost time. Anytime you want to take your setup over to the Guitars,Gear and Software Section to explain what all of that is for it would certainly be an interesting read. Welcome to the Forum.
    Thanks Gadlaw for the kind words! Yes I did have the picture handy :D If you look on many guitar forums they all have a "Show Us Your Pedalboard" thread. Plus I always keep a pictorial record of my gear. But I will have to take your advice and post in the Guitars, Gear, & Software Section!

Blog Entries

I recognize all your pedals but one I think. Now I will have to take a picture and post mine as well. I am a Bad Monkey fan myself and was curious about the Hot head. I run an MXR DIII into the Monkey then into a Behringer pedal I got free but love called a UM400 I believe. But welcome, I will look for you in the gear thread, it's nice to have another pedal jockey posting :D

JasonE....I want your Mesa rig!!!
    Seriously you have got a great setup going. I was reading about Hamer guitars in the latest issue of "Premier Guitar" they seem like an awesome axe. PRS have a great rep as well and I'm guessing you like them a little better than the Hamer. Good suggestions by the way. I think there is a bass course coming out soon but I agree they need more. Welcome :cool:

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1
    JasonE....I want your Mesa rig!!!
    Seriously you have got a great setup going. I was reading about Hamer guitars in the latest issue of "Premier Guitar" they seem like an awesome axe. PRS have a great rep as well and I'm guessing you like them a little better than the Hamer. Good suggestions by the way. I think there is a bass course coming out soon but I agree they need more. Welcome :cool:
    Thanks for the kind words!

I really like the Roadster rig. I was trying to decide between the Roadster and the RoadKing. I didn't think the added features of the RoadKing would be worth the extra money to me.

Hamer guitars are rally underrated in my opinion. My Hamer is built every bit as good as any of my PRS. In fact, I would dare to say that the Hamer is a little better built than the 3 PRS that I have, at least as good. The wiring in it looks much nicer and they do things like spraying the electronics cavity with a zinc based paint then cap it off with an aluminum backplate to create a nice insulated chamber for the electronics to keep it nice and quiet. All of the inlays on the guitar are done by hand as well as the carving of the tops is done by hand. There are some really nice youtube videos out there on the Hamer factory. Just search on "Hamer factory tour."

I really like both PRS and Hamer. One main reason for a heavier investment in PRS is that they are much better known and the resale value is higher. You will lose a good bit of money on the resale of a Hamer. I am not sure why other than they have not been as agressive with advertising.

Blog Entries

I think Hamer slid into the lower price mass production range for quite awhile and more people still think of them that way. I know I did and didn't realize how awesome they were until I recently read that article.
    Good shielding is definetly important for single coils especially!

I love my amp now but one day I will own a Mesa!

Hamer still has the cheaper line. They also have Slammer, which is another import.

I remember back when Ibanez had both American and import guitars. It caused a lot of confusion. PRS actually has an import line as well. Those are clearly labeled SE. I don't know that the Hamer imports are labeled clearly. That could cause a lot of confusion as to why one is $500 and another that looks a lot like it is $3000.

I am hoping that Hamer starts getting some good advertising and builds in popularity. There are a few other custom builders out there that have as much or more recognition as Hamer and they are not putting out the number of guitars that Hamer is.

I bought the one that I have because I wanted a Les Paul or something like it. The quality on the new Gibson stuff is really bad and has been for the past few years. The Hamer blew all of the Les Pauls away that I looked at. On top of that, it was a little cheaper than buying a high end Les Paul, plus looked and played a lot better. The workmanship on the one I have, and all of the other Hamer guitars I looked at, is/was extremely good.

1. Used to goof around with the guitar in high school, nothing really serious, but picked it up again in 2000 after the kids were grown and I was looking for a fun activity that we could share. Been a little more committed in trying to learn it since.

2. My favorite styles are the songs I've enjoyed through my life from Classic Rock to a little of Metal to Jazz and Fusion. Lately, I've taken on a bit of an interest in learning classical guitar after enjoying a street musician's performance.

3. Now that I have a little bit more of a disposable income, I've allowed myself to indulge in gear that I lusted after as a kid watching my heroes Jimmy Page, Angus Young and Ritchie Blackmore, among others, on the tube. Needless to say, my gear is a reflection of what they play.

4. I've honestly not had the opportunity to explore the site more thoroughly, as I've just received the tip through Harmony Central, but from what little I've seen, it sure looks like I won't be disappointed.

5. See my answer to #4 above. I'll have to pass on this and maybe come back sometime in the future to update my response.

Default Welcome Skyblue

A hearty welcome to you. I know you'll enjoy the course when it arrives and you'll enjoy the rest of the site. Don't forget to browse through the http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html? Truefire TV where you can really see and actually use a lot of the courses including PDF's of the tabs that go with the samples which are really mini courses by themselves. You've definitely landed in the right group with plenty of us picking the guitar up again late or for the first time about when the kids are half grown. Welcome again. :D

Blog Entries

I'm begining to see a trend here....kids grown, alittle more disposable income, alittle more time, alittle more opportunity to learn to be the rock stars we all wanted to be when we were young :D

Welcome Skyblue, I've been here several years and really only in the last year have I started to explore the site. There is so much here! Take your time, comeback and visit and tell us what gear you have....I'm a gear hound with insufficient fundage to indulge as I would like (but again I have way more than enough). See ya soon!

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw
    You forgot your link http://tonelable.com/ - cause you know, it's always good to have your links spread around.
    Ha ha - you're right! Thanks man.

Default My story...

How many years have you been playing?
    About two years (recreational, not gigging).
    Favorite styles?
    Blues all the way!
    Describe your guitar and rig.
    My main rig consists of a Washburn A-20 reissue and Blackheart Little Giant (head and cab).
    What do you think about TrueFire?
    A nice resource that offers interesting and useful information to players.
    How can we make this forum better for you?
    Keep doing promotions like these!

22 years.

2- Favorite styles?
    All... Rock, Acoustic, Metal, Blues, some Jazz

40+ guitars, including a Les Paul, Fender's (strats and teles) and Ibanez (RG's, Art300, SZ's, S, and Talman). My amp is a Flextone III 2x10 using a shortboard.

Just learned about it about a week ago. So far I like it and want to learn more.

I may have to get back to you on this one, but one idea is to schedule "down" times at non-peak times.

Hey guys, I'm mario and I'm a guitar-n-gear-o-holic.

How many years have you been playing?
    About 12 with the last 3 being much more serious.

Favorite styles?
    80's rock, country, blues

Describe your guitar and rig.
    Several guitars: 2006 Gibson LP standard, 1999 Fender Am. Std. Strat, 2000 Fender Am. Std. Fat Strat Texas Special, 2004 Fender American Highway 1 Telecaster, 2007 Jackson SL1, 2000 Peavey Wolfgang USA standard, 2007 Jackson DK2M, 2007 Jackson DK2-pro, 2001? Yamaha CPX8SY A/E, 2005 Fernandes Dragonfly Deluxe, crappy rogue mandolin

My live rig: AKG Guitarbug UHF Diversity wireless -> Budda Bud-wah -> tech21 PSA-1 preamp -> TC Electronics G-Major effects processor -> MosValve MV962 power amp -> GenzBenz G-flex 2x12 cabinet. All controlled by a behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller.

For practicing / jamming I play thru a Crate V-Series VFX5212 50W 2x12 combo. For acoustic gigs I play thru a fender Acoustisonic SFX-II.

What do you think about TrueFire?
    So far I think it is an excellent system. I have viewed some sample lessons and I'm impressed.

How can we make this forum better for you?
    So far I'm happy with the forum.

Here's the deal ... answer the following questions, on this particular thread, then send an email to nancy@truefire.com saying that you've done so (include your mailing address!) and we'll send you both video cd-roms for free! Fair deal? Chime in ...

1- How many years have you been playing? 8
    2- Favorite styles? Ambient, classic rock, metal
    3- Describe your guitar and rig. Peavey 6505+ ,avatar 4x12, Boss giga delay, Gibson SG, Ibanez RG
    4- What do you think about TrueFire? Very informative
    5- How can we make this forum better for you? enable private messageing

Default Welcome guys.

Welcome rebel29535, maltomario, marc758 and diyguitarguy -
    The lessons here are great and you'll certainly enjoy them and be back for more. Even before those lessons get there in the mail you can go and see the online samples which include downloadable tab and powertab to follow along, whether you like blues or jazz or rock or fingerstyle and everything in between - http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html? you can navigate through videos of the new courses and sample most every course that Truefire has to offer. And in the section for Fire Sales you can answer a trivia quiz and get entered for a Guitar Giveaway. Not too shabby.

6 years
    2. Rock, Blues
    3. Fender Custom Shop and Gibson Custom Shop. My main guitar is probably a straocaster played through a SUHR badger. I use a few effects like an OCD pedal and delay
    4. The best lesson website on the net
    5. how about a for sale area for students?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel29535
    Here's the deal ... answer the following questions, on this particular thread, then send an email to nancy@truefire.com saying that you've done so (include your mailing address!) and we'll send you both video cd-roms for free! Fair deal? Chime in ...

1- How many years have you been playing? 8
    2- Favorite styles? Ambient, classic rock, metal
    3- Describe your guitar and rig. Peavey 6505+ ,avatar 4x12, Boss giga delay, Gibson SG, Ibanez RG
    4- What do you think about TrueFire? Very informative
    5- How can we make this forum better for you? enable private messageing
    Hey there Rebel, what do we need private messaging for by the way? I think the worry might be about spamming but who knows.

Default Welcome Rothnroll

Quote Originally Posted by ROTHNROLL
    6 years
    2. Rock, Blues
    3. Fender Custom Shop and Gibson Custom Shop. My main guitar is probably a straocaster played through a SUHR badger. I use a few effects like an OCD pedal and delay
    4. The best lesson website on the net
    5. how about a for sale area for students?
    Welcome aboard Rothnroll, always nice to have more Strat players here.
    There is a sales area - fire sales http://truefire.com/firesales.html and at the Section of the forum with 'Fire Sales' they frequently have Forum only sales and to boot there's a interesting contest going on for a Reverend Guitar here http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.html?t=949

Blog Entries

Wow!

Welcome folks. Sorry I haven't stopped by here sooner. Four new posters is great.So Welcome ROTHNROLL (a VH fan perhaps?). How do you like your OCD? I've been toying with the idea of picking a used one of those up maybe a v3 or v4. Rebel29535 welcome as well. Have you recorded any Ambient music? With that Gigadelay I bet you get some cool effects. Maltomario glad you stopped by. Not only do you play one of my favrite guitars of all time a Peavey Wolfgang standard but you can now become our resident midi expert. I know how to spell the word and just a little more and have always wondered how/why people control their rigs with midi. Now marc758, one day you gotta coach me how to deal with my wife who thinks 7 guitars is 5 more than I need. 40+ guitars if you had to pick just one which would it be and then a backup for a mistress
    Last but not least...diyguitarguy! What kind of tone are you getting on that Blackheart? It's gotten a lot of good press but I have yet to hear one in person. I think you've come to the right place to start on your life long exploration of the Blues.

Welcome all of you, come back often if you have the time

1. How many years have you been playing.

I have been playing for two years, played other instruments in high school