Blog Entries

Welcome Briansvlee!

Looks like you are well equiped to play tribute to Carlos
    Cool setup, I'm a Mesa fan and owner as well. I had a decision to make....go Fender or go Mesa. My bandmate Bekaybe is somewhat floored on the money I spent on a Mesa as he is a HUGE Fender amp fan. He dreams about owning a twin reverb (well that and the hottie blond sports babe). I love Fenders and if I had enough cash I would get one of those as well but being limited in need, practicality and cash I had to go with Mesa.
    Sounds like you and Truefire are a good fit, come around often and post when you can. thanks for joining.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Hi guys,

I felt welcome in this forum, by the way, I also purchased Larry Carlton's 335 improv, and still waiting for the package to arrive since 21st Dec
    Looks like you guys also in the 335 improv thread. What a great place to be! Looking forward to share and learn the guitar playing insights from you all here.

regards,
    Brian

Default Membership Statistics

Hello All-In reading through this thread to get a better sense of the membership, it occurred to me that it would be interesting to breakdown and present the membership statistically, by various categories (such as years played, primary musical style, primary guitar, primary amp, TF courses completed/currently learning, etc). I'm sure you guys could add to the top-of-the-head categories I quickly threw out there as examples.

Does this exist somewhere on the site I haven't visited yet, or if not, would you find it interesting, as well?

Thanks,
    Olshepp

Cool Big Welcomes!!!

Big TrueFire Welcomes to CW, Brian, medebella, Paul, Johnny, olshepp, and other newcomers to the Fire. Wishing you all the warmest of welcomes with the assurance that you will find things here to boost your playing skills in a like-minded environment of folks who love guitar.
    Have fun and as the TF guys say, "Practice smart and play hard."
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by olshepp View Post
    it would be interesting to breakdown and present the membership statistically, by various categories
    Back about 2 years ago, just as the forum was recovering from the brink of extinction, we tried this. The poll was only moderately "attended", and the results were the typical bell curve you would expect. Ages basically ranged from 20's to 50's, Blues, rock, were the favorite styles. And most had been playing on/off at least 10 yrs. And we all felt we were intermediate level players.

If there is enough interest from the populous, we can surely implement another poll.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

think its a great idea.

Talking murman

hello gent's Im an old fart how has been playing off & on sents I was seven . I should be alot better then I Im. But that why Im a member of ture fire . To get better faster.lala I also like to build electric guitars. and DIY valve amps . My rig I have too many guitars But I love them all . I curently play a PRS thourgh guitar rig 3 then thorgh a JTM 45 clone . I play rock , blues , funk some jazz.

Default murman

Thanks for the welcome aboard

Default Welcome aboard Murman!

Thanks very much for joining us here, the more the merrier and don't forget to go to the front of this thread (if you'd like to that is) and answer the questions that are asked - send the email to nancy and wait for the mailman to bring you some TrueFire course material.

Of course we don't say 'old fart' so much as we say 'mature guitar players'.

As you drift around here you'll see that there is a place for everyone's interests at whatever level you'd like to engage with. From Chris Buono (TrueFire Instructor and young guitar genius) and his fine courses to the Instructor Marc Schonbrun who at this very minute is running a blog about his new Course 'The Efficient Guitarist'. - To discussions about Amplifiers or about what a good mid level guitar is?

Welcome aboard sir, make yourself at home and thanks for signing in.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Default My 2 cents...

Hi Everybody,

Dakotajoe here. I introduced myself to the forum this morning so forgive the repeated answers

1. How many years have I played? I started playing the fiddle when I was 12. I had a friend in the first grade who was a whiz on the fiddle and I always wanted to play like him (I never did). When hormones kicked in I thought it would be easier to attract girls with a guitar than with a fiddle......I didn't make the move until I was 17. So I guess it will be going on 26 years, but realistically, maybe 1.5 years of focused practice and "noodling".

2. What are my favorite styles? I came of age in the 80's and I was a huge fan of Ozzy, Priest, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Motley Crue, Metallica etc. I dreamed of being the next Randy Rhoads. I was also around in the early 90's for grunge and the alternative scene, and I still really love that music. Although I still like the heavy stuff, I am drawn to acoustic blues, classic rock and alternative guitar-oriented bands/singer-songwriters (ala Neutral Milk Hotel)

3. My Rig:

Guitars:

Heritage 140 (circa 1987) - I bought it new with a student loan check (pssst don't tell the government ) a very sweet guitar, I don't play it as much as I used to, but I intend to change that.

Seagull CW Folk Cutaway - this is the guitar I can't seem to put down anymore. It's not a Martin or a Taylor but it sounds like sweet honey to my ears.

A no name archtop (with f-holes) from the 1920's or 30's. My grandpa's guitar. Needs a new nut and bridge to make it playable.

I occasionally get to play a 1928 Martin D 28 that belongs to my wife's aunt. She kept the guitar downstairs with no case for about 20 years before my wife's uncle decided he wanted to learn and took it in to get it strung up. It now rests comfortably in a +$500 case. It is in absolutely great shape, no damage at all. Plays like a dream, very quiet though........

Amps:

Roland Microcube -- fun, fun, fun

A 1950-52 Fender Twin that my other grandpa gave me back in 1985. He played tenor banjo in a band for years and they used to run the entire band out of this amp. I was happy to get it at the time, but being a Randy Rhoads/Eddie Van Halen wannabe I was dreaming for a Marshall Stack. I wish grandpa was around to know how much I appreciate the amp now.

I picked up a DigiTech Jamman today.....cool!

4. What do I think about True Fire? I just happened upon this site a few days ago. I am a member of two other online guitar lesson sites, both of which are great. However, I think the level of instruction here at Truefire is second to none. I really like the way the courses are structured and put together. I also like the heavy emphasis on theory and building the knowledge/skills necessary to become a self-sufficient guitar player. I've already purchased more courses than I would care to admit and I have my heart set on more.

I believe that if the internet AND sites like Truefire would have existed 20+ years ago I would be a much better guitar player than I am today and would have spent much less time .

5. How can the forum be better for me? Honestly, it was reading the forum that convinced me to sign up for a Level 3 membership. It appears that many members have been around for a while and are very willing to help others. That is a definite plus.

I think it would be cool if people could team up via the forum to work on collaborative song/riff/solo writing projects etc. that could then be shared with the rest of the forum. Multi-track digital recording has never been easier and it would be fun to see what people came up with. Mind you, I would have to work up to that myself but I would enjoy hearing what others came up with.

Blog Entries

Well looks like I got 2 folks to welcome so....

WELCOME MURMAN AND DAKOTAJOE!

Now murman many of us would love to see photos of your homemade guitars and amps. What would be really, really cool is the next time you build a guitar take pictures and post them as you go a long. I know I would learn something and enjoy the heck out of it. Glad your are here man.

Dakotajoe (love the moniker). So you have just sort of stumbled into a 1952 Fender twin and a 1928 Martin.....you must be living a God fearing life to have that luck
    I bet that Heritage is a beaut as well. I must be a bit older than you 76-84 were by big formative guitar years Loved Zep, Floyd, Yes Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Lynyrd Skynryd, Boston, Peter Frampton, Kiss, Rush even and onto some of the hair metal Van Halen, Great White, some Poison, Ratt and Cinderella but NEVER got into grunge in the least. (except "smells like teen spirit"). Like you I think hormones got me going on guitar as much as the music now lookin at 50 it's safe to say it's all about the music

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Wink Hey guys! :)

Welcome to the forum Murman and Dakotajoe!!!

Murman: Cool to see you enjoy DIY, I hear it's very satisfying. I'm not much of a DIY'er but I'd always like to learn.

Dakotajoe: Great vintage gear you got there, if the 1928 Martin is in good shape, you might wanna get it appraised.

Well, thanks guys for taking the time to introduce yourselves; we all hope you enjoy the forum. You both are a welcome addition to the forum so please make yourselves at home! See ya' around!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default Thanks for the welcome........

Hey Wolfboy and JCC, thanks for the kind reception. This is a pretty cool community, I let my wife's uncle know about it this morning. He is semi-retired and learning to play as well, I think he'd fit right in here. By the way, the Martin D28 is his NOT mine. Actually it belongs to his wife, it was her father's guitar. Fear not, once they figured out what they had, they had it appraised. Thing is worth more than my kidneys!

Wolf, you may be a little older than me (I'm 43) but not by much. We certainly listened to the same bands/guitarists back in the day. With the exception of Poison - I think I saw every other 80's metal band you listed plus many more. In fact, you can see me enjoying the Monsters of Rock show in Spokane, WA in 1988 in this photo - http://perishablepress.com/press/wp-...r-story_03.jpg I'm not 100% certain, but I am pretty sure that is my head peaking out just two people over from the woman sitting on that guys shoulder. It was so hot, they kept hosing us down with fire hoses the entire day - but it was a blast!

The Heritage is a great guitar! Extremly low action, no buzzing and the stock pickups ROCK! I went out that day to buy a Les Paul but ended up taking Black Betty home instead. My buddy who was with me was so impressed he traded in his Les Paul the next day for a higher end model. I do regret never owning a "real" LP, but I have never regretted getting that guitar......

Thanks again for the warm reception, I look forward to getting to know everyone here as time goes on. I will certainly be asking lots of questions.....

And Wolf, 80's metal and classic rock is great, but Grunge absolutely ruled!

Question

I did a quick intro yesterday over on the Roll Call thread - but here's a bit more about me....

1- How many years have you been playing?

Been a mediocre player since 1986. I took a music class in high school and learned to noodle - and I've never stopped (noodling that is). I have done a bit of jamming with other guitatists using the time worn (and for me a bit worn-out) blues box, but I've never played with a bass player or drumer. I have written one song on acoustic (too bad I can't sing, ha ha).

2-Favorite styles

I like a bit of everything but blues and rock are really it for me. Although I'm into Wes Montgomery and Miles Davis - when someone cranks up ZZ Top or Stevie Ray Vaughn that's when I go nuts! I do love the old acoustic blues too. Oh, if you're an SRV fan be sure to check out the DVD Live at the El Macambo. Stunning intimate show of SRV & Double Trouble.

3-Guitar and rig

A Guild acoustic I got new as gift back in 86. Tell you the truth I don't know the model, but I'm sure it's a mid line model. It's a dreadnought and it still plays great even after all these years of abuse.
    I also have a no-name Strat with replacement tuners, an Oscar Schmidt OE-30 delta blues semi hollow body, and I have Rondo Douglas Shadow Gold (fake Les Paul) on order. I'm king of the low end guitars!!
    Amp is an odd little no-name 15watt bass amp. It sounds OK for now - but I'm going to order a Fender G-DEC junior here in a couple of weeks.
    If I get good enough I would like to get a Blues Junior later this year.

4-What do I think about Truefire

Amazing, amazing, amazing. I have learned more in the last 5 days than in the last 5 years. I have also applied myself more in the last 5 days than in the last 5 years, but I love seeing the lessons. I'm a visual oriented person and seeing and hearing the lessons work 1000 better for me than just trying to learn out of a book. Thanks Truefire!!!!

Alex

Hi there, cheers from Austria.

Here are my answers:

Well, let me calculate: should be about 19 years now, quite a long time.

2- Favorite styles?
    I started out with rock and then some blues and funk. In the last few years tried mainly to play modern fingerstyle and jazz.

3- Describe your guitar and rig.
    There's a strat, a charvel and a ibanez gb-10, a lowden f35c and a lakewood m-54c.

4- What do you think about TrueFire?
    Trufire is great and gets better every year. I really like it. One thing to improve: On the Jazz Anatomy workshop I'd like to see chord names above the notes.

5- How can we make this forum better for you?
    The forum looks fine so far. One thing: The threaded view is a bit strangem but maybe I need to get used to it.

Blog Entries

Hi Kulte, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've been a follower of TrueFire for a while. Glad you decided to join the mad house.

Quote Originally Posted by kulte View Post
    One thing: The threaded view is a bit strangem but maybe I need to get used to it.
    Near the top right of the page (yellow bar) there is a drop down menu that says 'Display Mode' you can switch that the the traditional 'Linear Mode'. I think if you go to the User CP page (right below the TF symbol) you can set that for a default.

Hi rjbasque,

I am happy "truefired" for about two years. The courses I got are Jazz Anatomy, Flying Solo, JazzU and Modern Chord Melody (by John Stowell).
    That's quite a lot for the next two lifes.

Thanks for your tip. I already noticed this, I am used to the linear style navigating forum postings.

cheers,
    k.

Default Welcome Kulte

Welcome to the forum sir. Glad to see you've already puzzled out the forum threading options and have introduced yourself. I know what you mean about those courses being a lifetimes worth of work because there is so much to learn from them plus you get to fit those lessons into your own schedule and your own life. The good news is that those are great courses and the other good news is that every month it seems like there are even more courses that fit into what you like. Glad to have Austria in the forum, music is without borders and this is an international forum.

Wink Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! :)

Welcome to the forum Kulte!

We're glad you stopped by and introduced yourself.

Glad you've been diggin' TrueFire and the things it offers.

I'm guessing you're into Jazz...

Cause those are some mighty fine Jazz style courses you've chosen, and yes, I know others feel the same way as you do regarding the "2 lifetimes" needed to assimilate all the great info contained in TrueFire's courses; because I know I do.

It's good to see guitarists that appreciate more than one style of music.

Well, thanks again for stopping by the forum, we hope you enjoy it as there's lots of great info here. If there's anything you need or if you've got questions be sure to let us know! Hope to see ya' around!
    Last edited by jimiclaptoncarl; 01-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Talking

Let's see (add that, carry the 1...) 20 some years, however I'm the "forever newb" who knows chords, some patterns, a few songs, but just hasn't spent enough time woodshedding to get past the high beginner to low intermediate stage.

2- Favorite styles?

All of them! Pink Floyd, John Mayer, Gypsy Jazz, AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Bits of Country...

'52 reissue Tele with a humbucker in the neck is my main squeeze. Currently just using a Spider Jam practice amp. Also have a strat, 12-string acoustic and bunch of other odds and ends.

Excellent Quality! I've taken private lessons just a few times, but I feel like I'm getting WAY more out of the lessons here. I'm a very happy level 3 subscriber.

It would be nice if there was a more concise map of the lessons available to make it easier to chart a path through them, but really its a very minor nit.

Default Welcome jcorley!

Glad you found your way here and glad you are finding the materials to your liking. Last time we counted we have at least eleven active TrueFire Course instructors active on the forum either working on a blog of one of their courses or contributing to the blogs that other students have put up of their courses or just acting like very interesting and engaging guitar guys who have a lot of good thoughts to share. Please do make yourself at home and don't be afraid to ask a question or jump into a discussion.

As for the navigation, the powers in charge of the website have been and continue to work on it and they'll certainly take your words to heart. And me, I'm like yourself, there isn't a style or type of music that I don't like and everywhere you turn around here at TrueFire you find out and learn something new about something you enjoy. That sounds like happiness to me.

Welcome again jcorley! Glad to have you here.

Blog Entries

Welcome jcorley

Glad you are posting. As a level 3 student you can add your 2 cents about favorite courses, instructors etc. when folks ask. Hang out on occasion and chew the fat with us....great to hear from you!

Talking Howdy! :)

Welcome to the forum jcorley!

We're glad you've stopped by and introduced yourself!

Hopefully, this forum will be able to help get better on the guitar as there are lots and lots of great topics here to learn from.

It's always good to see a guitarist who appreciates more than one style of music, and as you know TrueFire definitely has all the styles pretty much covered!

Well, thanks again for stopping by, please make yourself at home and if you've got any questions/comments be sure to let us know. Hope to see ya' on the forum!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default New member signed up.

Working on 40 day swat camp 1st, then some fingerstyle blues.

1- How many years have you been playing? 18
    2- Favorite styles? all (fingerstyle, rock mainly)
    3- Describe your guitar and rig. Axe-fx ultra, roland vg-8, lots of studio gear & guitars
    4- What do you think about TrueFire? -I like it. The lessons are very to the point & interesting.
    5- How can we make this forum better for you? -Just more course input from members who have completed each course.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard, glad you stopped by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbot22 View Post
    5- How can we make this forum better for you? -Just more course input from members who have completed each course.
    There is a section on course blogs were some members have described their process through a course. For you don't miss the blog for '40 Day Swat Camp' hosted by Chris Buono himself. Warning that thread runs 67 pages.

One last comment. 'members who have completed each course', unfortunately I think that is pretty rare. Most of us seem to end up jumping between multiple courses, either ones we've purchased or by online subscription to the universe on TrueFire. So I think actually COMPLETING a course is rare.

Blog Entries

Welcome Guitarbot22!

Glad you decided to join the forum and post. Sounds like you've got some experience and cool gadgets, feel free to jump into the gear thread anytime. I like what you said about course comments. We have been doing the course blogs as you have probably seen for only about 6 months now and they have become very popular. There are also nearly a dozen of Truefire's instructors either hosting blogs or commenting on blogs. This has been wonderful. I encourage you to think about doing a blog the next course you start. It keeps you motivated to finish plus people get to know you a bit more as well.

Thanks for stopping in and come back often!

Nearly 40 years... whoa.

2- Favorite styles?
    I like anything played well with heart. I love classical guitar from Bach to Brazilian, jazz, blues, and good rock'n roll.

I mainly play a Ramirez single cutaway nylon with a Fishman, (but I also have a mid-60s cherry red ES335 I pull out for fun and to jam— plus for Truefire lessons!). I play the Ramirez through some kind of small Roland acoustic guitar amp (I'm a guitar player not a techno-guy) and output that to a Mackie 450 powered speaker, usually with a touch of reverb or a smidgeon of chorus... sweet.

I love Truefire... Truefire TV especially. Like most classical players, I'm a jazz/bluesman wannabe and I'm finding LOTS of great stuff on both. It was a bit overwhelming picking through all the great lessons and trying to find the ones I really wanted to work with, but I've found many. I teach guitar too and am getting great ideas for lessons.

Don't really have an answer because I'm just getting into the forums. I especially liked reading through the TEG forum though. Lots of great info there, well explained. And I found a great link to blues turnarounds somewhere on here that gave me plenty of food for thought. I'll be reading more and more. Truefire is one of the best things I've done for myself in a long time.

Hey herby!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cool that you like what you have seen so far!

hope to read more form you here!

all the best
    Roberto

Default Thanks

Thank you Roberto. I've seen a lot of your postings on here and really liked them. Regards.

Blog Entries

Glad to see another nylon fan on board

Welcome Herby!

Thumbs up

Welcome Herby!

We're glad you're here!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default Thanks

Thank you Wolf and JCC... great to be here... any tips you can give about navigating around or anything else are welcome.

Blog Entries

Herby check out this little tutorial:

http://truefire.com/student-orientation.html

Default Welcome Herby

That is a sweet guide that I hadn't seen before. Great job by the website team, they've really been stepping up.

Welcome aboard Herby. As for navigating the forum the best advice is to explore that row of navigation buttons on the top, from there you can change the way you view the forum, change your avatar, search for posts that might be of particular interest to you. The good news is that after you decipher all of that you'll be in good shape on a lot of forums since many of them use the vbulletin forum software. If you have any specific concerns or difficulties just pipe in and someone will have the answer to you in no time. Welcome to the board and congratulations of doing something nice for yourself with the TrueFire materials.

Default wow

Thanks again Wolf, the tutorial was great and I agree they did a good job on it.

And thanks Gadlaw for the advice. It's getting easier for me and I've already subscribed to a few threads. I can see I'm going to like this.

Herb

Talking 1 week down!

Hey guys. I am really enjoying Truefire. Thank you Wolfboy1 and rjbasque for the encouragement and help in getting used to the structure of things. Week one wasn't too difficult. It was fun learning some new rhythms and playing in a different time signature than 4/4. I glanced over some future lessons in this 40 day swat. I am looking forward to the fingerstyle & funk stuff. I also began the Fingerstyle Encores study. There is so much!! Then my disks arrived!!!& I am off work today, so will be woodshedding. I plan to post weekly and am keeping a personal journal & personal notes on each lesson. Thanks,

Blog Entries

Hey both of you, I see you are injecting some great energy into the forums....thank-you!

Guitarbot22

What a cool idea doing a journal of your practice, maybe I should do that. Lately mine would look like this....
    Monday....nodled for an hour while watching sci-fi movies recorded over the weekend
    Tuesday....campaign meeting then grocery shopping, waived at guitars.
    Wednesday....noodled while watching prerecorded episodes of Colbert report with son, finished laundry, gazed longingly at amp while passing through basement to get clothes.
    Thursday....cleaned up basement music area, noodled while watching CSI, fell asleep in chair with strat in arms.
    Friday....high hopes for some practice time!

To Wolf... aw shucks, thanks. : )

Guitarbot: Got a kick out of your journal lol. I keep my guitar out of the case and on a stand all the time so it's always sitting there staring at me. Opening the case can seem like such a chore sometimes.

Default Hey!

Hey all...

I thought I'd get my "freebie" and open up my soul to the world here. Ok, maybe not quite...

I got my first guitar when I was a pre-teen but didn't take lessons at that time (or "any" time, unfortunately.) I played on and off, mostly off, for a while but really took a big break in my late teen and college years. I picked it back up a few years ago and have progressed teaching myself, but there are gobs of gaps in my knowledge and technique. I'm 33 now and have decided to put my limited practice time to use and try to put some real work into it.

2- Favorite styles?

I love most music, though I'm most often a classic rock and jamband type of fan. Favorite bands include Widespread Panic, which I've seen over 130 times, Van Morrison, Pearl Jam, The Band, etc.

I'm an acoustic player, so I'm also into more acoustic-related artists. Jorma Kaukonen, Tommy Emmanuel, etc.

I've only started to play out at Open Mics for the past year or so, so my rig is simple. 2009 Taylor 414ce-LTD (Tasmanian Blackwood,) Marshall AS50D amp, BBE Acoustimax stompbox preamp/eq.

I'm impressed, but need to figure out where to start and stick with it. It's too tempting to explore everything at once, which I can't do with an hour or less a day to practice! Some of the courses are also a little advanced for me, so I hope to work up to them at some point.

The forum looks great. Like most forums, the only thing I'd like to see is more participation. The more opinions the better!

Adam

Default Thanks for taking the Big Leap Alpione

Compared to a lot of us late starters you do seem to be well ahead of the game Alpione. I've looked up that Taylor you have and it's lovely. Glad you found TrueFire and you know it has been a continuing goal here to increase participation. I'm happy to say that it keeps trending toward more and more participation. Please feel free to take the initiative and start threads on things that are interesting to you and jump in on any threads that are out there. Thanks for taking the time and don't forget to get that email to Nancy!

Blog Entries

Glad you stopped by for a proper introduction.
    Wow, 130 times seeing one band....kinda know their setlist by now I bet

You might not have much gear Adam but that is a great setup your playing. Several Taylor fans in these parts. Welcome to the boards mate!

I saw Widespread Panic with the Allman Brothers both for the first time this past summer (after having been an Allman Bros. fan since their first LP). Both great jam-bands. Can't remember the guitar's players name in Widespread Panic but I liked him a lot. Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks blew me away too. Those guys are scarily good zoners. Welcome Adam!

Thanks guys!

Wolf - yeah, 130 times is a lot. But the thing about WSP is that they have over 300 songs to choose from and have a long-standing policy of not repeating a song within 3 shows of the last play. So if you see a three-show weekend run, you'll won't see a single repeat. In my 130+ shows, I've never seen the same show twice. That's what keeps it fresh, along with all the friends I've met along the way. I wish more bands would do that - it's a great business model and keeps people coming back. Nothing is more boring to me than a live act that plays the same set every show. I don't see them more than a few times a year these days, but for a while it might be 25 shows in a year in 10 different cities. To be young and unmarried again... :-)

Herby - you're thinking of Jimmy Herring, who is amazing. He's not WSP's original guitarist, but he's picked up the (hundreds of) songs nicely and meshes well with the rest of the guys. Good stuff... And you're right - I love Warren and Derek, too.

I'm taking the wife to Jazzfest in New Orleans in April and we're looking forward to seeing Panic and about 200 other bands. Can't wait!

Adam
    Last edited by Alpione; 02-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Cool story about WSP. AND a great business model!

Talking Professor's 2cents

1- 25yrs playin'
    2- Favorite styles include Blues, Jazz and Reggae
    3- My Guitar of choice at the moment is a G&L Will Ray Tele thru a Peavey JSX 2X12" combo
    4- I think Truefire provides a way for guitarist's of all styles and levels to learn and improve all areas of playing and theory on guitar.
    5- iphone app

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    1- 25yrs playin'
    2- Favorite styles include Blues, Jazz and Reggae
    3- My Guitar of choice at the moment is a G&L Will Ray Tele thru a Peavey JSX 2X12" combo
    4- I think Truefire provides a way for guitarist's of all styles and levels to learn and improve all areas of playing and theory on guitar.
    5- iphone app
    Welcome Professor! Would you believe that there is a iPhone App in the pipeline as we speak! Not only is it in the pipeline but it's in the pipeline! - I mean, it's awaiting approval or something like that. I haven't been able to find out what it's supposed to do but hey, it's coming along. These guys try to stay with the latest technology and heck, if your local ABC affiliate has a iPhone app then TrueFire sure should get their's up and running. Keep an eye out, it'll be at the iTunes store any day now.

Thanks for piping in and hope you enjoy your free stuff from TrueFire. Welcome to the forum again.

Blog Entries

Welcome Professor!
    now....where's Mary Anne?

Glad you stopped in, that's a smokin rig your playin through. One of these days I got to get me a tele of some type.

- I've been playing since 17... which was 16 years ago. I took 5 years "off." so that makes 11. I think I improved as much during the 5 years off as I had improved during the time up until that point.
    2- Favorite styles?
    - Blues, Blues/Jazz, Country, Reggae, Funk... I used to study jazz, and perform in a jazz trio, but since returning to music, I've been far more interested in "folk" music.... these maybe folks from apalachia, jamaica, greece, chicago, etc, but I can feel it. I may get pulled back towards jazz in time, but I'm GONNA bend strings!
    - Well I have too many guitars to talk about.... I'll talk about the one I practice with most... it's a hohner mr800.... amazing little guitar. I call it cortez the toy guitar... because it's so easy to play, it's like playing with a toy.... MY DAD picked it out and bought it for me for xmas. Fortunately, I was mature enough not to throw a hissy fit, and dismiss the guitar as not good enough, or not what I'd have picked.... since then I've bought 2 other hohners, and the hohner/tesla relationship is stunning.
    -I'm so excited about TrueFire that I told my wife about it! I explained to her that in round 1 of learning guitar that I'd spent $60/week for years and years studying under some amazing teachers, and learned a great deal.... I also shared that there are many advantages to the online/dvd format for studying... including replay, and taking lessons at 1:30 when you can't sleep etc etc etc.... true fire has the most diverse, largest, and most value-packed (can't believe the pricing on some of these courses) set of lessons and course that you can find on my interweb.
    -I litteraly JUST learned that the forum existed! I guess you guys spend most of your advertising resources on actual courses etc, but more promo of the forums couldn't hurt. I do search forums for guitar related information quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to truefire forums becoming a regular stop!

Thank you!

Sonny Rains

Default Welcome the forum Sonny Rains

It's great to hear when another guitar player finds TrueFire and the forum, it reminds me of how I felt when I found this place at long last. Now that you've found us and looked around you can see nothing but good souls talking guitar and discussing courses and just generally having a great place to come spend a few minutes between living life and taking advantage of those TrueFire lessons. This is your place, feel free to start any discussion or jump into any other discussion that's going on. We've got the actual instructors in this forum as well as a lot of knowledgeable guitar players here. The more the merrier.
    The forum isn't so much a secret as it's a work in progress that's been successful for a few years while TrueFire has been successful and out there for a lot of years. Keep an eye on the front page of TrueFire.com as well as the postings here - that way every new course and new idea that comes down the pipeline will be available to you. Welcome again!

Thanks Gadlaw. Between your post, and the courses that are in the mail.... I feel very welcome here.... consider me IGNITED!