Cool

Still workin' that same lyric I see. Make a song and get over with it. Good to have you here, these guys are great, get ready to be inspired!!
    I may be white, but I ain't stupid- SRV

Quote Originally Posted by bluesdan View Post
    Still workin' that same lyric I see. Make a song and get over with it. Good to have you here, these guys are great, get ready to be inspired!!
    Glad to see that you knew what he was saying Bluesdan, that was some non sequitur for the rest of us. I was trying to figure the spam angle on that one and happy to see there wasn't one. Most glad to see you here Uncletwitch Welcome to the Truefire forum!
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Cool

Me and Twitch, we been on an adventure or two. I'll keep the personal jabs on the side. I was hoping you guys wouldn't think I was just taking cheap shots at the new guys!

Hey, Mr. Twitch, introduce yourself to these fine gentlemen.

Wink Gillieshill - 2 penneth

Hi,

I've just found truefire and joined up to see what it's all about. My name is Richard, I'm 47 and live in Scotland. I'm a left handed player. Here are the answers to the questions posed in the sticky at thstart of the thread:

1. I first picked up a guitar when I was maybe 14 years old. I learned a few chords and played along at the lunch time guitar club a school on a classical guitar - not much choice for a lefty in thiose day's and on a limited budget a classical with revesed strings was the only way to get going. when I was at college I started to play bass and played in a folk rock band which did a couple of pub gigs. At that time there wasn't much easily accessible learning material around, especially if you wanted to learn to play rock and I got fraustrated becuase my playing stagnated at a pretty basic level. (I couldn't afford a teacher on a students resources). I sold my kit and forgot about playing guitar for many years, finally deciding to get back into guitar a couple of years ago when my wife decided she wanted to learn.

2. I like a wide variety of music, from classic rock (Free, Bad Co., The Stones, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and Yes) through blues (Robert Cray, Clapton, Albert Collins, Muddy Waters) to more folky stuff (The Waterboys, The Eagles, Sheryl Crow Niel Young. ) Over the past few months I've been concentrating on learning blues playing through the excellent Blues you Can Use book by John Ganape. I now want to pick up more fingerstlye stuff and I'm on the lookout for an accessible source of learning - thats why I signed up here.

3. Rig I have an Ibanez AF75 jazz style semi acoustic which I love. I use Behringer echoe machine and Blues Overdrive pedals whith it through a Roland Spirit 50 amp. It's quite a nice combination. Acoustically I use a Cort SFX1.

4. I've just joined truefire and havn't yet purchased any of the courses but the site looks like it has a great deal of material that's going to take a while to get through. I really like the idea of video lessons because they make things so much easier to get to grips with than working just with a book or even a book and accompanying CD. I'm looking forward to finding out more.

5. Forums can be made better by making them as active as possible. Other ones that I'm a member of will notify you via e-mail when someone responds to a post that you've made. I don't know if that can be done on this one but I think it's a useful feature for keeping the conversation moving along and encouraging people to log back in.

Richard

Smile

Welcome Richard !
    I think you will find a lot of courses here that can be useful to you. David Hamburger has some courses that teaches fingerstyle blues. When the folks "over there"
    get out of bed there will be more people to suggest courses for you. Hope you will enjoy the forums, and dont forget to send an e-mail to Nancy for your freebees.

See you around !
    Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

Question

Hi Larro- thanks for that. I take it you are besed on this side of the pond. As you've been a member since 2005 you obviously think the site's pretty good. I'll look forward to hearing more.

Richard

Smile

Yes, I am from Norway, Harstad, far north.
    And yes I have been a long time member. I snooked around and tried to find sites for guitar education, and this was the best and friendliest, and the products are of good quality.

Rock(Blues) on!
    Larro

Blog Entries

Hi Richard, welcome to the Fire. There are ton of blues lessons here. Even though many are taught on electric, the courses are still valid for acoustic.

If you haven't done so check out the TrueFire TV area. EVERY lesson is online, and as a Level 3 student (free signup. Honest is really is) you have access to the 1st 30sec of every lesson. As well as full access to selected lessons within each course.

So take a look around, ask any questions you like. The owner and staff of TrueFire are very involved with the forum, so answers usually come pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by gillieshill View Post
    will notify you via e-mail when someone responds to a post that you've made.
    Yep sure can, under thread tools at the top of any thread page. Use the Subscribe to thread option.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Blog Entries

Hi Richard welcome from about 250 miles South of you, on a blue sky day for a change... I think you'll enjoy being around here with all the dark nights coming in,give Brad Carltons Bluesology a look too ....most excellent..

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Exclamation Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the forum, Gillieshill. You can subscribe to a particular thread and receive e-mails when posts are made to it. You will love this place if you like music and guitar. It is a great place for sharing and learning.
    Have fun!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Blog Entries

Default Another WELCOME Gillieshill!

Glad you found the place and decided to post. I found the "Blues You Can Use" material to be excellent and fun. It is a good product to recommend. There is a ton of free stuff to explore here at Truefire and they also have sales at Christmas and a big one at Easter so keep that in mind. I just ordered David Hamburger's Fingerstyle Blues courses. I have been impressed with his playing and material so I am excited to start those when they get here. Almost anything by Brad Carlton is excellent and challenging. He seems to excell at getting you to see all the potential in the fretboard that is under your fingers at any given position. My favorite course is Frank Vignola's "Vamps, Jams and Improvizations." He is also a great teacher and this is a really and insightful fun course. Jeff McErlrain's Blues Rock Evolution gives you great ideas as well, he is a very tasty player with a little different feel than some of the others instructors. Chris Bruno has been hitting some home runs lately as well.
    Good Luck!

By the way, I have spent some absolutely wonderful times in Scotland. Mostly at the air bases in Mackrehanish (not sure of the spelling) and Edinburough. The Scotland-Faroes Island gap was a very popular Soviet submarine travel lane at one point back in the cold war. There is no country I have visited where the people were nicer than Scotland. It's a beautiful place to walk with a sometimes rugged, sometimes breathtaking coast and on a sunny day it's just so green! The beer is some of the best in the world. Unfortunately the food often seems to be a bit off but the people who cook and serve it are wonderful. Only country outside the US I think could retire. I loved Spain and Austria and Greece as well but nobody is as nice as the folks in Scotand, nobody.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Cool

Welcome to Richard, great to have another blues guy around. I have been working with Paul Rishell's Dirt road blues. Some great interpretations of stuff from 1920's through 1940. Not alot of theory, but will get you going on some cool songs. I've been on the forum here for about a month or so. I have never been around a more helpful bunch in my whole life. Ask a question here and you will get excellent, heartfelt answers. Fine fellars these gents are. Type at ya soon, Bluesdan

Welcome gillieshill!

We're glad you've joined up!

Be sure to ask if you've got any questions.
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Welcome Richard! You have found a great site with lots of friendly people!!

1- How many years have you been playing?

33 years. I started when I was ten. however, I didn't really start to practice until I hit my twenties. Then I had a 15 year break and found my way back to the love of playing guitar this spring. Now I'm practicing more than ever and loving it.

2- Favorite styles?
    Hard to say, but my playing has always been rooted in the blues (maybe not that strange knowing that Gilmour had a huge impact on me in my teens)
    At the moment I'm digging my way deep into the blues, so that's basically what I'm listening too, but usually I listen to a wide range of music. Metal, Pop, Blues, Jazz, Classical.
    some of my fav-bands would be: Radiohead, Beatles, Pink Floyd (and Gilmour solo), Rammstein, a norwegian band called Motorpsycho (they're awesome), Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Personally I've been performing everything from Trashmetal to Ska, reggae and pop.

3- Describe your guitar and rig.

I have a Fender 60's strat (that's a mexican custom shop guitar, amazing she is...). I also have an Aria ProII road warrior (my first electric), but I don't play that one much. I also have an acoustic and a classical guitar.

I either run Dollface (my strat) through my PodII or AmplitubeII. I also have an old Roland CA-40 amp I'm not using that much. I have a compression, distortion and Wah-pedal as well.
    Fender bulletstrings .10
    and I'm probably on a life long journey hunting for the pick I would feel more than 80% comfortable with.

4- What do you think about TrueFire?
    I've been hunting for learning/practice material for a while, trying several sites and magazines. I haven't been here for long but I know this is the place i'll stop for a while. I'm amazed over the quality of the material on this site. I think you might should blow up the size of the truefireplayer a bit, it's a little bit small.

5- How can we make this forum better for you?
    The system seems a bit dated, but I see you're in the processing of upgrading, so you're already on the track

- on thing turned up. When I wrote my first post (reply to introduction thread) I didn't get the time to read the "will have to be approved by moderator" message before being redirected. That one was a bit quick, leaving me bewildered over the "loss" of my post.

Mrten
    Last edited by lemort; 11-10-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Smile

Welcome Morten !

From Scandinavia I presume?
    Here you will find a lot of learningmaterial at different levels. I have been seeking round the internet for sites with guitareducational material, and ended up here. I think this is the one that suites me best. I started playing seven years ago, so I am a newbee.....
    Hope you will like it here and find something of interesst. People here are friendly and helpful here.

See you soon !
    Larro

Blog Entries

Welcome Mortman!

You so fit the pattern of many others on this forum....it's just scary. So many of us started playing then gave it up for numerous years only to come back when we had more time in life to relax. You are definetly in good company and, I hope you feel welcome and comfortable here. Thanks for sharing and come back often

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Default and my $0.02...

I've been playing since 1959... 50 years now...
    Funny, it didn't seem like that long...

2- Favorite styles?
    Favorite styles to play are classic rock and blues...
    Favorite style to listen to is fingerstyle...

Several guitars and amps but the favorite is a 1993 Fender Tele Plus and a 1963 Fender Concert amp...

I've been around here a long time, and think it's a great place to learn. I really like the blog setting, as it
    helped keep me practicing on schedule. ( One of my larger un-discipline problems... )

Keep up the good work. I enjoyed having access to the TV network during this course. Enough to finally subscribe, at least on a part time basis...

Thanks for everything.

Bob Simpson
    bobsimpsn@gmail.com

Welcome Bob! We're glad you decided to stick around. That Blues Lick Blog is starting tomorrow and they're going to try to keep track of it over there where the videos live. http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html?...es/50blues_1_w

I agree with the sense of discipline you get from trying to follow along with one of these blogs, a great idea and one that's helping me so far.

Playing since 59? Wow, that's a lifelong commitment you've kept up there. Very noteworthy. Welcome again and glad to have your wisdom and your words.

Quote Originally Posted by larro View Post
    Welcome Morten !

From Scandinavia I presume?
    Hi Larro

Yes, I'm norwegian, as I understand you're too.
    Currently I live on an island just north of Stavanger, but me and my wife will probably head eastwards next year. Probably around Tønsberg somewhere.
    Never been to Harstad, how's thing further north?

Cya around!!!

Mrten - Listening to Reiersrud/Kleive just know....

Question Welcome, Bob!

Glad to have you here on the forum. This place is filled with folks who have a passion for guitar. Don't think starting in 1959 puts you at a disadvantage either. It sounds like you are only a few years older than me. I think we may start a sub group called "Geezers with Guitars." This is a great place to learn and share guitar info. The folks here are great. Have fun and enjoy it!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lemort View Post
    Hi Larro

Yes, I'm norwegian, as I understand you're too.
    Currently I live on an island just north of Stavanger, but me and my wife will probably head eastwards next year. Probably around Tønsberg somewhere.
    Never been to Harstad, how's thing further north?

Cya around!!!

Mrten - Listening to Reiersrud/Kleive just know....
    Hello lemort!

Here in Harstad we have had an incredible autum this year, no snow and no rain. (the upside of global warming).

Have been one time to Tønsberg with boat, and it looks like a very nice aeria. Party by the docks!

When it coms to Knut Reiersrud, I think he is one of our greatest musicians, ever. Hi is incredible. All of you who has not heard of him, you have missed some really great music.

Hope you will enjoy your stay here at the TrueFire forums!
    Larro

Default 2-cents worth

I signed on to True Fire for some inspiration.
    I'm 60 years old and have been playing on and off since I was 8. The guitar helped put me through college by playing at various venues in the late 60's. Mostly rock, blues and anything else that would make people happy and help pay the tuition. In those days I had a Gretsch anniversary model and played through an Ampeg. I don't even know if they're still in business. Probably not.

Fast forward 2009: Married for 39 yrs. with two wonderful boys and daughter in laws. Two grandchildren. Now it's my turn to pursue the player I always wanted to be. I'm retired and finally have the time to dedicate to it.

Favorite styles are rock, blues and country with an affection for jazz. Once saw Wes Montgomery and his trio at the Royal Arms Hotel in Buf.,NY. What an honor.

I currently am using a Les Paul and a '65 Twin Custom 15 Reverb Amp along with a Strat and Tele. Love all of it.

I cannot tell you how I stumbled on to truefire, but, it's the best find since sliced bread. Glad your out there !!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as making the forum better, it's pretty new to me so I'll have to get back to you. Still trying to navigate thru it.

I'm looking forward to more courses and inspiration from your instructors. What a great place to be on the net.

Smile

Welcome to you waynetc!!

Glad you finally found us. Here you will find all the educational stuff that you need. Hope you will like what you find here.
    Remember to e-mail Nancy so you can recieve your freebees.

Looking forward to here more from you !!

Larro

Hey there Wayne, glad to see you hear and thank you so much for the inspiration. 60 big ones and still working on your game. That's great. We've got quite a number of folks here who are over 40 and up so you should feel right at home here. So were you 'busking' through the 60's? Coffee houses and outdoor malls and such? Sounds great and your grandchildren probably don't even suspect that Grandpa has had such an interesting guitar life.

Glad you found your way here, the forum is a friendly place, lots of folks happy to engage in guitar discussions and there are no silly questions, no silly responses and of course, you are very much welcomed. Thanks for finding us!

Not quite sure how I got here but I'm glad I did. 60 didn't come easy. Sometimes I wondered how I got through my 20's.

Thanks man, more to come

Wayne

Cool

Welcome to Wayne!! I've been here about a month or so. My playing has hit the fast lane. Prepare to be inspired. I know that we all look forward to your input.

Cool Welcome, waynetc!

You are less than a decade ahead of me, friend. I often wonder how I made it this long too considering all the really stupid stuff I have done, but hey, we are here and we are just a little wiser (hopefully). This is a great place for all lovers of guitar and guitar music. I hope to retire in 228 working days (but who is counting) and reside among the disks of knowledge you will find here. Actually I would like to retire today, work is starting to interfer with my playing time.
    You will also find a great group of folks here willing to help out fellow players. We are all pretty much here for the same reason, to improve our guitar skills. So once again, "Welcome, Sir Wayne!"

And remember, brother, You are not old, you are vintage!

Blog Entries

Welcome Wayne, sounds like you are playing some nice gear and have the time to use it. Come back often and share some of your old gig stories when you get the chance

Ok then, Here's my 2 cents worth...

How many years? Off and on for 30 years.. Hahaha more off than on..., but the most time spent was in Highschool, had a band and we played a few get togethers.. after school the playing kinda fell to the side.. Got into more writing of poetry and art than playing.. Wasn't till a few years ago that I met Bluesdan/Bluesman; we drove truck for the same guy.. He got me back into playing.. Even got me to buy a new accoustic.. We never realy got much of a chance to play together....

Favorite's??? Mostley Rock/Blues/Alternative/And some far east Indian influence

What I play?? Well still got the Martin accoustic, that I bought with my friend Bluesdan

Truefire? I like that you can come here and find all levels of play skills; from my lowbie cat scratching screams to guys/gals with a drive...

Better for me?? Being a newbie to here, I don't think i have the right to dictate yet.. Give me a few hundred postings and wit filled messages; then I might... But so far I'm liking what's going on here.. But if I am allowed one small request.. I'd like to use my Pic from my profile here... Maybe I can, I just haven't figured out how yet....

Anyway thank you for allowing me to bend your ears

Default Welcome Uncletwitch!

Greetings and glad to see you friend of Bluesdan! It's always a good thing when guitar dudes are dragged out of guitar playing retirement and back into the fun they forgot they were having. Bluesdan has made himself very much at home here and we're glad to have him, his enthusiasm and joy in playing is infectious. Can't have too many folks who love playing guitar on a guitar forum. I'm also glad to see another acoustic player on the board, we've got plenty but there is always room for more. There is a blog by stevestarr on one of the most recent Acoustic Courses out - the 50 Acoustic Licks Course which I'm following along as time allows me. I think the good thing about Truefire and the forum here is that we're all here for you at whatever pace you need or want to go at.

And which Martin acoustic did you get? I know they have a newer line out of moderately priced acoustics, I mean for Martin Guitars - still pretty darn expensive. If you get a chance we've got a thread where folks post pictures of their guitars - good for making the rest of us jealous.

Thanks for finding us here, be sure to look around and any questions that Bluesdan can't answer post them here and there are more folks who will know the answer than you can shake a stick at.

Cool

Thanx for the roses, Gadlaw. I'm sure just about any question he has, I can't answer, that's why I brought him here. Can't wait to see where this takes his playing, great imagination this guy. He can be a bit goofy from time to time, but that's just our ol' uncletwitch. Welcome boy, mind yo manners, these are quality dudes here.

Default Welcome

Welcome Uncletwitch, I, like you have too many years invested in giving up. I'm still having a little bit of trouble navagating the site but I'm sure things will get easier as time rolls on.

Speak soon, Wayne

Default Welcome guys.. :)

Big welcome to: lemort, waynetc, and uncletwitch!!!

We're all glad you've stopped by and we hope to see you all around!
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default The Git

Martin DM Mahogany Dreadnought and a nice plush hardcase.. DM 978907.. Hehehe nothing fancy, but enough to work the fingers with

Cool oh Coolness!

2- Favorite styles?
    jazz and rock

96 Fender MIM Jazz Bass w/Dave Eden world Tour 800 Amp with 810 SWR cab
    88 Yamaha FG-420 Dreadnaught Acoustic w/Woody pickup
    92 Gibson All American II setneck with modded guts and Brown Vibroverb clone head with special mods (hehe) oh and a 212 cab. The 4 on the floor are a DOD250 distortion booster, a very heavily modified EHX Russian v.1 Smallstone Phase Shifter, a heavily modified Dunlop Crybaby Wah, and my own guitar synth (still under some development)

I really like it here. It feels like I found home finally after years of searching!

I am not sure yet since it is all so new to me yet!
    Maybe add an instant messaging system?
    Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck are the holy trinity.
    Jimi Hendrix was their monarch
    Stevie Ray Vaughan was their emmisary.
    Janis was queen
    Jim Morrison was the town cryer
    John Lee Hooker was the bard
    Phil Linaut was the gangster
    Dimebag was the freakin best

Doug

http://www.myspace.com/freqy_d
    http://www.facebook.com/dougkova
    http://twitter.com/1337_doug

Howdy Uncletwitch (interesting handle!), Waynetc and Duo.Glassix (we met on another thread). This is a great place and I look forward to seeing you around.

33+ years
    2- Favorite styles?

Jazz-rock fusion and instrumental guitar rock

At the present time, I'm just Using an Ibanez GIO and a BOSS GT-10 through my HP laptop.

I think it is a fabulous idea. It makes more readily available great educational tools for any guitarist, whether novice or seasoned pro.

I'm a bit of a newb around here, so I have yet to experience the full impact. Therefore, I really have no complaints, thus far.

Question Welcome!

Welcome aboard to Hypnus9 and other newcomers! You will love this place if you love guitar. Have fun!

1- How many years have you been playing? Off and on since college... so about 6 years... unfortunately more off than on
    2- Favorite styles? Contemporary Christian, Rock, Blues
    3- Describe your guitar and rig. Jackson DKMGT, KORG Ax1500g multi FX pedal, Alesis drum machine, Fender acoustic..... all the stuff make the music just need to get the practice in.
    4- What do you think about TrueFire? I've kind of creeped around and looked for years here but never took the plunge. Gonna be spending some christmas $$$ here this year.
    The forum looks great... not a huge fan of the click each individual response but in a way its nice and to the point.

Welcome to the TrueFire forum Hypnus9 and Bigtone! Uncletwitch, waynetc and Duo.Glassix! In reference to the question about clicking on each response in the forum you can change that by clicking on the top bar "QUICK LINKS" and clicking under "User Control Panel" and clicking on "Edit Options" . From there you will scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and change the Thread Dispaly to "Linear - Youngest or Oldest First" whichever one you might prefer or the Hybrid if you might like that. On the linear display you'll get to something you are more used to. I use the Linear Display myself so that should take care of that.

Glad to have you guys here, if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to voice them. We do look forward to hearing from everyone.

Default ranting...

hola. so ive never played the guitar before.. i pretty much woke up two days ago in the middle of a mid teenage life crisis and decided i am going to become a vegetarian, read the entire bible(yeah.. i dont know why either), and learn how to play the guitar all before i go to college... im a senior in high school.. so i dont have much time!

not very many.. none to be exact..

2- Favorite styles?
    i love all music.. ive grown up with my parent's classic rock, blues, disco, hall and oates, earth wind and fire, hendrix... everything..

i dont really have a favorite style especially because i have no clue how to play anything (except the clarinet but that was an epic fail) .. but i personally love soft rock, simple acoustic-ness, blah blah, probably what a heavy metal dude would call insanely boring.. and im sure you were wondering but no, im not into heavy metal..

it's got to be atleast 30 yrs old (my grandpa's old guitar).. it's acoustic.. no brand name or anything..oh yeah it's missing a D string..but it's awesome!

it's totally boss. i'm going to buy learn guitar in 21 days.

hmm.. i dont know.. when i have a compliant i'll tell you though..

Question Welcome aboard!

Hello bigtone!
    Good to see you here at the forum. If you have been checking out the TrueFire site for a while, you probably already know what a great resource it is. The forum is a great place as well with lots of knowledgeable folks to help with just about any kind of guitar related question. Welcome and have a great time.

Default Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!! :)

Welcome ameliasthename,

We are all glad to have you here!

(Sorry your post took a little while to show up, your post was stuck in the moderators que waiting to be authorized; the forum was under a big spam flood a while back and this is side-effect, but hey, it's better than a forum full of spam!)

You've just arrived at the #1 Guitar teaching/learning site on the net! Congrats!

Very glad you dig a lot of different styles of music; so many people today only listen to one genre.

Sounds like your ready to go, hey I started on an old acoustic too!

LearnGuitar In 21 Days, will be a perfect course for you. You'll be picking and strummin' in no time.

If you've got any questions or concerns let us know, we're here to help eachother out!

Hope to see ya' around!
    Last edited by jimiclaptoncarl; 12-13-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

MY GEAR:
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

Default Greetings ameliasthename

Glad you found your way here and it's great to hear the enthusiasm in your writing. Remember that enthusiasm when your fingers hurt later on while they are getting used to the strings and everything.

I don't know how close you might be to a music store but a set of guitar strings is not too very expensive, you should be needing that whole set changed. Your choice of a first course is a good one, you can find the Folk in a Day and Rock in a Day and the Acoustic Guitar for Beginner as good ones as well. Of course you know that you can view sample videos of all those courses and some of the PDF for starting yourself out.

I wish I was in High School and deciding to accomplish all the things you've set for yourself, I do envy your enthusiasm and conviction. Stick to it and a bit at a time you'll surprise yourself with what you can do. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, lots of friendly folks here willing to lend a hand, give advice and set you on the right path. Welcome to the forum!

Blog Entries

So many new folks....I'm overwhelmed (in a pleasant way).

Welcome each and everyone of you: Uncletwitch (I love that name), waynetc, Duo.Glassix, Hypnus9, bigtone, and ameliasthename! Some of you I may have already greeted but welcome again!

I love to see all the new activity.... 35 year veterans who have to get by on Martins (I feel your pain) to noobies playin grandpa's relic. Quite a spread but please comeby often, ask questions, post jokes, give advice, share your guitar life experiences and more than anything learn. Most of us SWAT cats will jump in and answer questions if we know but there are some brilliant contributers on this forum that know way way more than I do who jump in all the time as well. Post pics of your gear if you get the chance, write equipment reviews, tells us your heros and have fun!

Welcome to all the new people

My first point of advice to ameliasthename is to get a D-string put on your guitar
    ---------------------------------

'Retired' Truefire Swat team member

"You should never lose the groove to find a note"-- Victor Wooten

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    Welcome to the TrueFire forum Hypnus9 and Bigtone! Uncletwitch, waynetc and Duo.Glassix! In reference to the question about clicking on each response in the forum you can change that by clicking on the top bar "QUICK LINKS" and clicking under "User Control Panel" and clicking on "Edit Options" . From there you will scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and change the Thread Dispaly to "Linear - Youngest or Oldest First" whichever one you might prefer or the Hybrid if you might like that. On the linear display you'll get to something you are more used to. I use the Linear Display myself so that should take care of that.

Thanks! It looks like the Truefire gods behind the scenes fixed this for me... Rock and roll

Default ALOHA from Maui

Hi Everyone,

Like so many of you here, I love to play and learn the guitar! :-)

Seeing how TrueFire keeps producing excellent quality instruction at an ever increasing rate of speed....
    And seeing how over the past several years my personal collection of TrueFire DVD's
    has grown to the point of critical mass.....

I finally couldn't hold back the flood gate of addiction, and enrolled as a "full time" student earlier today.
    All's I can say is: Having 24/7 access to the whole TF Smorgasbord is like being shot into Guitar Passion Heaven!

Okay, so here's a little bit about me.....

1. I've been playing 32 years.
    2. My favorite guitar style is my own, the result of numerous styles from around the world and beyond this world ;-)

3. My guitars are a handful of Acoustic/Electric and Electric Guitars, A Resonator Guitar,
    and a couple Ukuleles (baby, pip-squeek guitars?)
    4. And my rig consists of a Pedal Train Board with an assortment of effects,
    2 Tube Amps (Marshall Silver Jubilee and a Dr. Z Route 66), and a Roland JC-120.

5. What do I think about TrueFire?

Well put it this way, after watching countless hours of "available free" guitar instruction online,
    and years of sometimes haphazard - sometimes focused self study via books, cds, dvd's.....

TrueFire is the first time in a Loooong time, I've found something attractive enough to enroll in as a Student.

The last time was 1996 when I attended the Berklee Summer Guitar Session.
    Now, I'm ready for more structured education, definitive progress, and fresh inspiration.
    Above all the choices, TrueFire stands superb!

Hmmmm....

6. How can this forum be better?
    Well, I'm brand spankin' new here and so far so good :-)
    After more time, I may have a suggestion or two okay?

Cheers!