Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How did everyone discover Truefire?

I was at Barnes and Nobel one day browsing through their selection of guitar books. I ended up picking up a book entitled "How to Play Blues Guitar: The Basics and Beyond." When I got hom, I opened the book and learned that the audio for the lessons could be downloaded from Truefire.com. The rest, as they say, is history.

Blog Entries

I found them when I had a subscription to Guitar Player magazine. I think there was an add or lesson that directed me here.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

There was a post on Harmony Central about deals and True Fire was offering the Improv Kit for $1. Even before that I read about True Fire on another board when TF was offering a free trial to the website. I was still a beginner at the time and learning how to practice and get over frustration so the videos didn't appeal to me then. Now that I am more knowledgeable (I think? ) I know WHAT I want to learn...

Surfing GP's web site and just happened to stumble onto it. FATE? KARMA?
    leparker
    ROCK ON!

Default Google and Carpel Tunnel Search and Guitar Forums Search

During one of my frequent bouts of weak wristed pinched nerve/can't play guitar periods I was searching the web for guitar related forums and places to ask about what to do for the wrist pain. I found this barren empty forum and I think there was Red and Ren here. My search for knowledge and information - I asked questions, got answers, bookmarked it in my Guitar Stuff folder here and came back infrequently owing to nothing much going on here. Came back by chance when Red was announcing the forum closing down and it was his bad or good luck that I was in a particularly grumpy mood and I fired my grumpiness at him and we sort of started the revolution as others said - yeah I agree with that and then BOOM - the rest is history. :mariole: Oh and somewhere along the way I started spending time with those sample videos and then one of those holiday sales times and started my collection.

Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Brad Carlton recommended ITK when I was still taking lessons with him. A few years later, I discovered the Trufire website and have been visiting ever since.

J

I guess I was looking for information about Darrin Koltow and his cool articles about guitar (Maximum Guitar) , and then I found a link of these articles in Truefire. At the beginning I was overwheelemd and I didn't understand anything. I subscribed and I received the bulletins by mail until I bought my first course when it was launched (two years ago I guess): Total Modal...the rest is history.
    Last edited by Rgalvez; 11-21-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Blog Entries

I discovered Truefire through Guitar Player magazine's monthly lesson audio bits online. "Hi this is Brad Carlton from TrueFire. Today's lesson is .... " Quick internet search, and the biggest "Easter Egg" one could ever hope to find.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

There was a stage where I did a lot of browsing the internet trying to find useful guitar resources. Truefire was something that I found in my searching. Signed up for the free 30-day trial and found that it was pretty good stuff. It was a couple of years later that I made my first purchase in a big sale. When I first found truefire I felt that the courses were too expensive for me and that was the reason I didn't buy any. I still think that the listed retail price is a bit to much but combined with truefire cash and student discounts I can take the costs a bit easier now.
    Sometimes life sucks, but God is always good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw
    During one of my frequent bouts of weak wristed pinched nerve/can't play guitar periods I was searching the web for guitar related forums and places to ask about what to do for the wrist pain. I found this barren empty forum and I think there was Red and Ren here. My search for knowledge and information - I asked questions, got answers, bookmarked it in my Guitar Stuff folder here and came back infrequently owing to nothing much going on here. Came back by chance when Red was announcing the forum closing down and it was his bad or good luck that I was in a particularly grumpy mood and I fired my grumpiness at him and we sort of started the revolution as others said - yeah I agree with that and then BOOM - the rest is history. :mariole: Oh and somewhere along the way I started spending time with those sample videos and then one of those holiday sales times and started my collection.
    Gadlaw!! You are one of the main reasons this forum is still here! you are one of it's saviors!

Bad luck? I don't think so! I call it blessed Karma!

Your adversity at the time was justified and well controlled! Shame the world leaders can't seem to function as well as the folks in TrueFire's forum! Imagine Utopia! :mariole:

Arrow TrueFire discovery

Guitar Player Magazine was my first intro to TrueFire . I already had some David Hamburger stuff , and then I found Brad Carlton ( love his lessons ) , and as several of you have said , " the rest is history " . Gadlaw , I can relate to your pinched nerve problem . Only mine was in my cervical spine , C7 to be exact . I developed it while I was renovating our garage . I had numbness down to the second nuckle of my index and middle finger . I was advised to play for no more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time , if at all , by my physio , and not to look down at the neck of the guitar. This went on for 6 months ; drove me around the bend . I still have some problems from time to time . Kind of scares the crap out of me just a little . I would be soooooo pissed off to not be able to play .
    Bryan

I didn't discover TrueFire, TrueFire discovered me! How lucky is that??

Actually back then TrueFire was called Notes On Call and when Brad W moved the biz to Florida he frequented a club I hosted a blues jam at. Brad did so many things to help my career it would take hours to list everything!! Still not sure why I am so lucky but I am thankful! Brad needed a guitar guru and while I think I'm pretty good, I am by no means a guru so I pointed him to my friend George Harris who was too busy to accommodate Brad's needs so George pointed Brad to Brad Carlton and as seems to be a popular statement here "the rest is history"!

Question

Maybe 4 years ago i partisipated in a forum over at www.guitarprinciples.com where there was a section for people who worked on the book "Blues you can use". We discussed lessons and playing, and we where pointed to TrueFire for posting our recordings of ourselvs. Thats how I discovered TrueFire.
    By the way, you should really visit the site, the guru there is Jamie Andreas, and I can tell you that his books and thoughts have helped me alot. What you find there, you don't find anywhere else. Not even here at TrueFire.
    Larro

-- If you can dream it, you can do it ! ;)

In the early 1990s I subscribed to Notes On Call lessons for Guitar Player Magazine. Every month Notes on Call would send me a cassette tape with audio examples of all the lessons in that months Guitar Player. I also vaguely remember using the phone to listen to recorded lessons, which is probably why they were called Notes on "Call". I also purchased the cassette tape version of Improv Tool Kit back then (at which time it was 4 seperate lessons each with its own pamphlet and cassette.)

After a while I fell out of touch with Notes on Call. Later they changed the name to TrueFire but I wasn't around then.

Then a little over 2 years ago I discovered TrueFire and realized it was the new improved Notes on Call. Sorry but I can't remember if I did a google search or if I saw an ad in Guitar player. At the time I was looking for a way to get some continuing education on guitar and TrueFire fit perfectly.

And the history is just starting...

About 3 years ago I got a best of guitar player with lessons from Larry Carlton,Robben Ford,Brian Setzer, Joe Pass....well the audio,pdf etc was downloadable from Truefire.

I was gigging regularly so I bought a video lesson (Gil Parris I think) and I was hooked.

I find that I use the video's, powertab a lot, more so than say a magazine, even though I buy Guitar Techniques every month.

I have only gotten around to TFU in the last month or so but I am watching and learning pretty quick

I have sung the praises (in my slightly off key voice ) of this site to preety much anybody who will listen.

I don't even remember now. It was many years ago. I think I was just surfing around for guitar instructional stuff and voila. Oddly enough, initially I didn't really appreciate all that was here. The homepage they had at the time confused me, so it took me awhile before I really got to understand the incredible resources here.

It was, I think in 2006, around the time of my birthday, that I decided to get a level 2 subscription just to 'try it out' as a birthday present to myself. I figured I could always cancel if I didn't like it. Needless to say, I haven't cancelled and it was the best guitar related purchase I ever made.
    ---------------------------------

'Retired' Truefire Swat team member

"You should never lose the groove to find a note"-- Victor Wooten

Quote Originally Posted by flathead
    I don't even remember now. It was many years ago. I think I was just surfing around for guitar instructional stuff and voila. Oddly enough, initially I didn't really appreciate all that was here. The homepage they had at the time confused me, so it took me awhile before I really got to understand the incredible resources here.

It was, I think in 2006, around the time of my birthday, that I decided to get a level 2 subscription just to 'try it out' as a birthday present to myself. I figured I could always cancel if I didn't like it. Needless to say, I haven't cancelled and it was the best guitar related purchase I ever made.
    I had a similar experience. I knew about the website for a year then I finally ended up back here when I figured this website was as close to my styles of music than anywhere else.

Arrow Also GP Website

I also found this through visiting the Guitar Player website.

Quote Originally Posted by bapurvis View Post
    I also found this through visiting the Guitar Player website.
    Welcome! Hope you enjoy it around here, if you would like to participate in the Introduction Thread - when you feel comfortable of course it's always good to welcome the wide variety of backgrounds and guitar interests we have on this forum. If you'd like 'free' stuff - try this thread http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147 - I remember when I first saw it and the offer I didn't believe it but it was and is true as can be. We're glad you stopped by and hope you decide to stay.

Blog Entries

Another one sneakin in .....welcome bapurvis, come socialize, tell us abvout your gear, your gigs and your guitar history

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jrhoden View Post
    I was at Barnes and Nobel one day browsing through their selection of guitar books. I ended up picking up a book entitled "How to Play Blues Guitar: The Basics and Beyond." When I got hom, I opened the book and learned that the audio for the lessons could be downloaded from Truefire.com. The rest, as they say, is history.
    I found out the same way (only I had ordered the book from Amazon).

Max

I had heard of truefire before a while back, but I did not know it was such an extensive educational site. Anyway, I subscribed to GP2 and clicked an ad.

Red face What memory?

WOW! It has been over four or five years ago and I am not really sure, but I would guess that I found it via searching the web for guitar related stuff or by seeing an ad in Guitar Player magazine. What I do remember is buying the Blue Grooves set and one of the disks would not work in my computer. I sent an e-mail and Nancy replied that she would be sending me a replacement disk. I have been a TF addict ever since then. I started hoarding all the courses I could hoping to one day complete them all. I am not so sure I will live that long, but if I do, I will NEVER be bored!

I never really bothered with the TF forum because I was not much of a forum kind of guy (so I thought), but after winning the Reverend Manta Ray in the Blues IQ Contest, I started coming here and found it to be a great place with super folks sharing ideas, experiences, and knowledge about guitar and all related matters. I love TrueFire and the forum!
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

It is an old Thread, but anyway.
    I never came along True Fire surfing intenet looking for Guitar Lessons. Few weeks ago I got and iPhone and I found the app Guitar Lab and then....

Yup..Notes on Call, Guitar Player magazine. And yes I am thrilled I did!

Wink

Well, I stumbled upon TrueFire while doing a guitar related search.. as well as seeing them in Guitar Player for their lessons demoed online by Brad Carlton... I forget which happened first, but I'm glad they did.
    *FAVORITE COURSE*

*WORKING ON*

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. (PebberBrown)

MY GEAR:
    Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
    Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
    Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
    Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
    Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
    Yamaha CG172SF
    Digitech RP300A

It was a dark and stormy night late December 2009, and I was YouTubing some guitar lessons.
    I saw a clip from TrueFire (don't recall which), liked it enough to click on a link and TrueFire seemed like a good place to get me back into playing guitar.
    And it certainly is!
    Johnny

Less is more

Blog Entries

I was lent Mimi Fox's Jazz Anatomy by a jazz nut friend that raised my curiousity to investigate the website...HOOKED, which led to the forum and nobody asked me to leave

H
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Way back when, I did a Google search on Acoustic Guitar. Best guitar search ever. It lead me here.

Bob

YouTube, I think...

I was on youtube looking for guitar lessons and I found a string of amazing beginning acoustic lessons. I saw that it was from truefire so I came here...just found these forums tonight

Default Guitar Lab app

I found out about TrueFire from the Guitar Lab iPad application. Pretty good marketing to offer select lessons for free. ;) After enjoying a couple, I wanted to learn more so I clicked the link.

Lo' and behold - a whole universe of education at the click of a mouse.

I guess you can say I'm a marketer's dream - after a couple hours of browsing the TrueFire site, I subscribed as a "student" and purchased I think 3 or 4 downloads (50 blues licks, 50 rock licks, Kings of Tone, etc.)

Hook, line, sinker.

Blog Entries

Very Cool!

I just got an EVO android phone and I am waiting For Truefire to bust into that market, glad you found the place and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    Very Cool!

I just got an EVO android phone and I am waiting For Truefire to bust into that market, glad you found the place and welcome!
    Very cool. And thank you good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
    I found out about TrueFire from the Guitar Lab iPad application. Pretty good marketing to offer select lessons for free. ;) After enjoying a couple, I wanted to learn more so I clicked the link.

Lo' and behold - a whole universe of education at the click of a mouse.

I guess you can say I'm a marketer's dream - after a couple hours of browsing the TrueFire site, I subscribed as a "student" and purchased I think 3 or 4 downloads (50 blues licks, 50 rock licks, Kings of Tone, etc.)

Hook, line, sinker.
    That is pretty sneaky of them. To give you guitar instructional materials absolutely free knowing you will find them irresistible and useful so you'll buy more. I have that application as well and sure enough, free videos including the tabulature. It's funny, you look at a lot of other stuff from other folks and they'll spend pages teasing you and telling you how great their stuff is, TrueFire has this app, lots of videos on youtube and if you go to TrueFire TV you'll see samples for every course so you know what you're buying. Not only that - go to this thread and follow Brad's instructions http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147 and get more free stuff sent to you! Amazing and welcome to the forum!

I agree - the immense amount of free information allowed me to get comfortable with what I would be buying. No guessing or wondering or hoping.

Great stuff and I'm having a blast.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've had an official web site online since 1997. Sometimes I do an internet search on my stage name to see how I am represented on the world wide web.

I just checked my stage name in a search engine today and found a thread about me on this site that was started a couple months ago. Since it was fairly recent, I joined to reply to comments in that thread and here I am!

Unhappy

I found out about Truefire.com from John Stowell video on Youtube and I can't believe there are these lot of lessons and a strong community here on the net. Glad to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by bighurst View Post
    I found out about Truefire.com from John Stowell video on Youtube and I can't believe there are these lot of lessons and a strong community here on the net. Glad to be here.
    And we're glad you found you way here!. Strong, knowledgeable and well mannered community here in the forum which includes instructors, working musicians and guitar enthusiasts of all abilities.
    It's great to have a new John Stowell course, Modern Jazz Improvisation http://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-less...improvisation/
    it goes nice with the other John Stowell Course, Modern Chord Melody. http://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-less...-chord-melody/
    and the whole Jazz Catalog for that matter. http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html?...azz&videofile=

I heard about it from Jeff Scheetz a few years ago he told me about his new instructional vids (which I purchased from his website), and just got around to checking this website out about a month ago.

Cool My Scottish nature....

Always looking for free stuff on the net...of course, who hasn't typed in "free guitar lessons"? Anyway, a google search lead me to the Truefire site, and I tried it out as a free user...it didn't take long to see the quality of this site, and I signed up as a level three member. That was three years ago, and I am hooked. I have directed several friends to the site as well, and they get as much out of it as I do...
    Thanks Truefire !!!

Red face Hi Halmer!

Yes, TrueFire is an addiction you can enjoy and not feel guilty about sharing with your friends. Unless they do this:
    (I just love this picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing. "I am slowly puttering along the way to becoming the world's most average guitar player."

Cool

Thanks wvgman...poor strat...amazing how the internet has changed our lives...of course, theres the music...Youtube and the rest of it. Trufire came along and we have access to info in a way none of us could have ever imagined...still blows me away when we see what technology has done for us...everyone at the end of a computer mouse...also, we can communicate via the net, just like we live next door...Yep, we live in pretty cool times...

Halmer...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halmer View Post
    Thanks wvgman...poor strat...amazing how the internet has changed our lives...of course, theres the music...Youtube and the rest of it. Trufire came along and we have access to info in a way none of us could have ever imagined...still blows me away when we see what technology has done for us...everyone at the end of a computer mouse...also, we can communicate via the net, just like we live next door...Yep, we live in pretty cool times...

Halmer...
    "Will y' no be having a Saaaale" sorry Mr Halmer a best friend of mine is Scottish and I here that a lot
    Great to see you on the Truefire bus and you're right these days are the best.

H
    Last edited by Hutch82; 10-21-2011 at 04:19 AM.
    Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

I did a search on Google for "best guitar instruction website" and came upon a thread on The Gear Page where MANY players listed Truefire as the number one. So, I thought, who am I to argue, lol. And, here I am.

I'm a big Larry Carlton fan, and I decided to see if he had any instructional videos available from his website. Lo, and behold! I ordered 335 Blues and noticed it was produced by True Fire....

I found it from a youtube video of Joe Dalton. I think I was searching for Rockabilly licks, and ended up watching some of the Joe Dalton truefire videos. I checked out the site after that, and signed up!

I thought Youtube, but I do also remember looking them up in the phone book when I was in Clearwater, Florida. Maybe I already knew about TF by that point. Maybe I let my fingers do the walking. Maybe someone can check the St. Pete yellow pages and see if my story pans out...
    Just visiting TrueFire.com? Why not join us?

http://truefire.com/ignite/?code=murrayatuptowngaller

Blog Entries

I found Truefire, like a few people have already mentioned by first seeing the Guitarlab Ipad app. Then I started to see the truefire free videos and the 30 day free trial.

I've bought a course now and today I'm going to subscribe for the pro membership. So I can say they have an effective marketing method, most importantly they have great courses on here that are truly worth it!

Looking forward to the next year on Truefire.

I found Truefire thanks to Andy Aledort. I have his Hendrix DVDs and was bored one day and thought I'd check out his site. On the main page there was an ad for his Slow Blues course, I clicked it and here I am (and just in time for the Christmas Sale!!)

Really impressed with the site and the content on offer so I think I'll be here until I can play like Hendrix... (so probably for the rest of my life...)