Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Here's what I'm spinning the last 2 days....I've been stuck in the past with some Pink Floyd re-issues.

I do like the 2 disc "Experience" version. I had the old cuts "Raving and Drooling," and "You've Got to Be Crazy" on bootleg cassettes at one point in life, nice to hear clean copies again. Some early Floyd video, not the actual video of this songs performance.

And the remaster of Meddle with my favorite PF track "Echoes."

Been playing alot with the new acoustic and trying to learn some Floyd tunes.
    Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy1 View Post
    Here's what I'm spinning the last 2 days....I've been stuck in the past with some Pink Floyd re-issues.

I do like the 2 disc "Experience" version. I had the old cuts "Raving and Drooling," and "You've Got to Be Crazy" on bootleg cassettes at one point in life, nice to hear clean copies again. Some early Floyd video, not the actual video of this songs performance.

And the remaster of Meddle with my favorite PF track "Echoes."

Been playing alot with the new acoustic and trying to learn some Floyd tunes.
    And if you can ever find that one that sounds like a submarine over a bass note underwater while pinging the UBoat song in long form. Probably 69 or so release. I used to play the heck out of that in 70 or 69 along with my my Brooklyn Bridge LP back when I was but a lad and my dad was in Vietnam. Perhaps it's just an imagined song/LP now, I know I've gone through every Floyd CD that I could but never found it.
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    email: gadlaw@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

A change of pace for me

I've substituted the Melodic Hardcore for Ted Greene
    Check it out 2014 Practice Plan & Goals

Psalm 33 v3 Sing to Him a new song! Play SKILLFULLY as you shout out your praises to Him!

Caution: Bad Language contained

Psalm 33 v3 Sing to Him a new song! Play SKILLFULLY as you shout out your praises to Him!

Listening mostly to NIN recently - just been feeling like plugging in the itouch when driving and going through the discography for NIN cause that's my thing.
    But also listening to some Zola Jesus. Never heard of her before I had heard of her, no buzz from anything I can remember. I mean all the buzz (good and bad) I'm hearing is Lana Del Rey who I've never heard sing but somehow manage to hear all about anyways. Strange. Anyways, here is Zola Jesus, kinda reminds me of a cross between NIN and Kate Bush.
    http://youtu.be/HY9WUZZrTpw

Blog Entries

I've been spinning the Bob Dylan Bootlegs, I love "Mississippi" and "Red River Shore" especially.

Couldn't find the original, here is a decent cover version:

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Exclamation

Stumbled across this artist - Sarah Blackwood. I was interested when I saw the Resonator and found her on YouTube. I'm not even sure what you'd categorize her as. Punk? Retro Country Punk? Can't tell, doesn't matter, sounds good.

Songs at MySpace
    http://www.myspace.com/sarahblackwoo...-time-67447676
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    Can't tell, doesn't matter, sounds good.
    Sure does!

I like this piano version better though

Edit:
    Just found out where the more punky stuff in her songs is rooted:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Creepshow
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-11-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    Johnny

Less is more

Blog Entries

Not really in a dark mood, but just in the mood for some darker music lately.
    I saw the Bio on Music Remastered, so I downloaded some of the "comeback" era music. Brutal Planet and Dragontown.

Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Quote Originally Posted by rjbasque View Post
    Not really in a dark mood, but just in the mood for some darker music lately.
    I saw the Bio on Music Remastered, so I downloaded some of the "comeback" era music. Brutal Planet and Dragontown.
    Hi RJ,

While Alice Cooper wasn't spinning in my record player in his prime time, today he's the guy I can relate more with from that era. He's "Only Woman Bleed" is a masterpiece in my book!

I could take this song with me to a desert island... I found it in a time in my life when I was really down low on the ground and it made a difference. Deva's voice is not from this world..

Quote Originally Posted by JoaoPazGuitar View Post
    I could take this song with me to a desert island... I found it in a time in my life when I was really down low on the ground and it made a difference. Deva's voice is not from this world..

She's pretty good I must say. She does take some of the screech high pitchness out of this kind of music. I might have a few albums. Don't have any Alice Cooper though in my itunes. I always thought of ALice as pretty funny and only know him from the 'School's Out' song. For me 'dark' music is Tool, NIN, Ministry.
    Name:  devastuff.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  93.0 KB

Hi Gadlaw! I have the first 3 of those!

And here's something which I can relate to guitar - to our own paths to guitar mastery.
    Not directly related - and 100% related ;-)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20538605

Back to topic - I sure AM listening to this!

Hi Gadlaw! I have the first 3 of those!

And here's something which I can relate to guitar - to our own paths to guitar mastery.
    Not directly related - and 100% related ;-)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20538605

Back to topic - I sure AM listening to this!
    Thanks for the link. A nice explanation of Meditation, mindful meditation. I've taken classes on Mediation from Rinpoche's before. It's interesting taking a class from someone who doesn't speak English, is speaking and it translated for you as you're sitting there on your Zafu (round fat pillow). A nice slow quiet pace there. I remember the Rinpoche/Tibetan lama when he was talking about how hard it was to get Americans to quiet down and be still, something about our culture and speed of life. He thought that was humorous. Deva has certainly internalized a lot of the practice in her life and it's nice to be able to share it. It's pretty cool when you think about how connected we are via the internet. Ideas and thoughts can be shared to those who are interested and make things less frightening to people who might be frightened by things and ideas that are different from their own.

You can always put a thread up about mediation and what it means to you in the General Forum section. Plenty of room for everything.

I could take this song with me to a desert island... I found it in a time in my life when I was really down low on the ground and it made a difference. Deva's voice is not from this world.
    Wow.... hauntingly beautiful Joao. Never heard her before, so thanks for the post. I can picture the desert island thing.
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

Default Listening to a few songs by Fiona Silver - via Luna Guitars

Not many views, a New York centered performer. Cute, elf like, nice voice, not processed. And she plays a Luna Ukelele to boot. Pretty good.

Default Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights

Something I saw while drifting through the music channels in the usually fruitless search for listenable music. This is old school, and newly freshened at that. Guitar music doesn't seem to be dying around here.,

Blog Entries

Cleaning house with the wife this morning and started off with Jefferson Starship "Dragonfly" one of my top 10 albums of all time (wore out 2 vinyls of this one before CDs came out). The first song "Ride the Tiger" is just awesome in lyrics and guitar work. It truly has one of the greatest verses of any song I have ever listened to....

"A tear, in the hand of a western man will tell you about salt, carbon and water
    but a tear to a Chinese man will tell you a tale of sadness and sorrow or the love of a man and a woman"

The first song "Ride the Tiger" is just awesome in lyrics and guitar work. It truly has one of the greatest verses of any song I have ever listened to....
    There's so much music to explore, way to much

Thanks for the tip Wolfboy, Ride the Tiger is truly an awesome song. That was a new one for me. I'll check out the rest of the album soon..

Personally I've been revisiting Shine On you Crazy Diamond in all sorts of versions (Original, Live, Solo-live, bootlegs, official etc)
    Partly because of an assignment I got in McErlain's Sherpa-Class, but also because it was so awesome to hear the music again I just had to explore it in any way possible.

And yes, I also revisited The Wall due to the release of The Experience box.

But for the most part I am trying to explore "new" music and aren't listening that much to old favourites atm.

Happy Easter!

Mrten

Listen to how aggresive he plays when the band kicks in. Still, it's the same truly awesome Solo part II of Shine on. That man is a genius....

Blog Entries

Holy Schnikies Mort....that was an awesome video!!!

I enjoyed the hell out of that. I have always wondered whom is my favorite Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour or Jimmy Page. There are so many guitarists I like but those are the three that mean the most to me. EVH for the flash, DG for the passion and JP for the creativity...to me they are the best.

I have always wondered whom is my favorite Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour or Jimmy Page. There are so many guitarists I like but those are the three that mean the most to me. EVH for the flash, DG for the passion and JP for the creativity...to me they are the best.
    I totally agree. Personally I have to throw in The Edge as well, for his sonic madness

Glad you liked the video. It's an awesome performance.

Mrten

Dig the sound on sound intro he does here...This is one tune that's eternally fixed into my work out mix at the gym... probably have listen to this once or twice a week for the past decade .... Just need to learn to play it

Praise Be The Lord, My Rock, Who Trains My Hands For War, and My Fingers For Battle;

Out of the way, it's a busy day
    I've got things on my mind.

Check out the "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops" Study Group" Put in your 2 Cents

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread...ot-Study-Group

Yesterday my 18y old nephew and me was discussing music/browsing youtube.

It's fun to discuss music with him, we have some similar tastes (Primus(*), Residents, Rammstein to mention very few) and we have big gaps between us on other stuff.
    He plays the bass, love Les Claypool and skipped everything basic and went straight for the Claypool stuff. He lacks the fundament (but he will learn, I know) but he's not bad on the slapping and weirdness.

Anyway, all this is beside the point.
    We also share a huge love for computer-gaming. And since we both love both music and gaming, we have discovered some true musical moments. Because Gaming-soundtracks can be extremely good.
    This one is probably one of the best ever, written. We agree on that, my nephew and me.

an extreme amount of 12strings, delays and ambient stuff.
    A magic moment from 95-96 (something like that)

Mrten

(*) Just remembered, so I wanted to share:
    Last summer I went to Kongsberg JazzFestival (Norway) to see Primus with my nephew. He wasn't 18 yet so he needed an adult compagnion.
    I've seen tons of concerts, I know so many great bands and musicians.
    But when these three guys played I realized I might not have seen the best yet. It's one of the best gigs I've ever attended.
    Those three guys in Primus are exceptionally good musicians, I stood jaw-dropped for 100 minutes. Oh man.....
    Last edited by lemort; 04-08-2012 at 04:41 AM.

I've been listening to tons of BR5-49 lately. I absolutely love these guys.

Here's another from the Grand Old Opry

Quote Originally Posted by lemort View Post
    Yesterday my 18y old nephew and me was discussing music/browsing youtube.

It's fun to discuss music with him, we have some similar tastes (Primus(*), Residents, Rammstein to mention very few) and we have big gaps between us on other stuff.
    He plays the bass, love Les Claypool and skipped everything basic and went straight for the Claypool stuff. He lacks the fundament (but he will learn, I know) but he's not bad on the slapping and weirdness.

Anyway, all this is beside the point.
    We also share a huge love for computer-gaming. And since we both love both music and gaming, we have discovered some true musical moments. Because Gaming-soundtracks can be extremely good.
    This one is probably one of the best ever, written. We agree on that, my nephew and me.

an extreme amount of 12strings, delays and ambient stuff.
    A magic moment from 95-96 (something like that)

Mrten

(*) Just remembered, so I wanted to share:
    Last summer I went to Kongsberg JazzFestival (Norway) to see Primus with my nephew. He wasn't 18 yet so he needed an adult compagnion.
    I've seen tons of concerts, I know so many great bands and musicians.
    But when these three guys played I realized I might not have seen the best yet. It's one of the best gigs I've ever attended.
    Those three guys in Primus are exceptionally good musicians, I stood jaw-dropped for 100 minutes. Oh man.....
    LIstened to the Diablo stuff, very good. I don't even remember playing those games that much. And Primus is good, at least what the one song I like from them, My Name Is Mudd.

I've been liking this one from Goyte myself, infectious. Had to buy it even.

Blog Entries

I've been liking this one from Goyte myself, infectious. Had to buy it even.
    That song starts up and and i recognize it, but can't place it..... not what i typically listen too. Then it hits me.

**I apologize if this is already on the board somewhere - 100 million views so i know they got around, but i didn't see it anywhere.

Parody Video here: http://youtu.be/IwPHy17Iu6E <--- the key of awesome

Tim
    "The hard part is just syncing your left and right hand, which is.... When it is super loud, it really doesn't matter anyway" ~Satchel from Steel Panther

I've never seen that! It is totally awesome! How the heck does someone go about doing something like that I want to know? How can you get that many hands on a guitar, make all those sounds and have everything work perfectly like that I can't begin to imagine. Most amazing and good. And now that darn song is back in my head. Thanks for posting it and you know, with our group of folks even if something has 100 million hits that's no guarantee that any of us hipsters - old school hipsters that is, would have ever come across it.

Default Gemma Hayes Let It Break

Keep Running

Well that was depressing Lee. I'll have to watch it again.

Well that was depressing Lee. I'll have to watch it again.
    Yep great tune, depressing video....must be a hidden message somewhere

To make it up to you here is Cara Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by Leedelta View Post
    Yep great tune, depressing video....must be a hidden message somewhere

To make it up to you here is Cara Dillon

Much nicer. Nice Irish music more soothing to my late evening tastes as I head off to sleep. Now I won't have to dream of being a homeless person wandering into the place where my lost love is singing like I did last night. Instead I'll be thinking of a little shop on the corner of River Street, just a stone's throw from the water's edge in picturesque Portscatho. Cause I google and this woman with the back of her head and the braided hair, like a Irish hippie, posted about this song and talks about her little shop which sells buttons and such. How you can make a living selling buttons and such I'll never know.
    http://talesfromtheseagarden.blogspo...with-paul.html
    Name:  DSC02922.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  77.6 KB

Default Zedd is also very Slick... I know yozu dig it deeply ;)

Default Corey Christiansen

i've been listening to Corey Christiansen a lot especially his CD Outlaw Tractor. Here's a video from one of his gig's.

Steve B.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I want to be as famous as midnight as powerful as a gun
    as loved as a pizza - Macy Gray

Blog Entries

Wow...some great stuff, really, really like the Goyte videos especially! It kills mean the creativity behind the second one, a $300.00 guitar in the hands of a capable artist sounds as good as anything else on the market!

I've been strolling throgh some of my favorites this week and been stuck for 2 days on Wishbone Ash. They are one of my top 10 favorites and I have a lot of their albums across many line-ups. Here's a couple classics:

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Check out the rhythm line in this one at the begining. I think he is using a wah and a trem?

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    i've been listening to Corey Christiansen a lot especially his CD Outlaw Tractor. Here's a video from one of his gig's.

You fooled me with that one. With a name of a CD like 'Outlaw Tractor' I expected to hear some Country, down home, red neck country what with a CD dedicated to his Tractor and all. Instead it's nice cool jazz. Sounded great, I can hardly hear the tractor in it at all.

Wishbone Ash...that takes me back.

Blowing Free is a great tune to try inversions over.

Blog Entries

Caravanseri - Santana. This is really a throwback to my youth. I used to think this was jazz 20 or 30 years ago. Now I don't know what to call it except sublime.

Up until today I have been listening to Revelacao Velocidade Da Luz, over and over again over the speakers in my backyard while I construct a retaining wall. This CD was given to me (with a bunch of others) by a friend of a friend who works for a record company in Rio. Her job is to convince radio stations to play these CD's. This one is more samba that bossa but still addicting. I don't know which is the name of the band and which is the name of the CD!
    Last edited by richb2; 05-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    now trying to break 1900.

You might remember me biatching about the boring chord sequences I have in church and I'm struggling to find fresh ideas for them.

This guy doesn't seem to have that problem. I'm going to have to transcribe this as best I can

I discovered Boyce Avenue a few weeks ago. They have a massive following on You Tube and do some great versions of popular songs on their channel. Here's their Adele cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I discovered Boyce Avenue a few weeks ago. They have a massive following on You Tube and do some great versions of popular songs on their channel. Here's their Adele cover.

This looks and sounds very good actually. These guys are good and I subscribed to their YouTube channel. Nice icon as well by the way. Welcome to TrueFire forum.

Blog Entries

Something a little different. I have been finding some great music out of Europe - Maize is a trio out of Portugal.

Maize - 4 tracks, 40 minutes, mostly instrumental, awesome

http://maizeband.bandcamp.com/album/maize

FB for them is here: https://www.facebook.com/maizeband

2 Euros for the tracks, what is that like 30 bucks american?

Enjoy
    Tim
    Via ChurchoftheRiff

Note: i don't think i can embed the player - if anyone thinks i can i am all ears. there are a lot of cool bands on the bandcamp site (which is new to me).
    "The hard part is just syncing your left and right hand, which is.... When it is super loud, it really doesn't matter anyway" ~Satchel from Steel Panther

Default No Room for Square -- Hank Mobley

Takin' a break from my Sheryl Bailey Sherpa practice and listening to some Hank Mobley who Sheryl recommended. Some hot boppin' going on. Also listening to Un huh another Hank Mobley from Workout album with Grant Green on guitar.

You want to play like <fill in the blank> then listen to who they listened to, hear where their ideas came from.
    Steve B.

Blog Entries

Alice Cooper.....Brutally Live. Pretty good Alice concert. The DVD came with a CD which I am listening. Alice always has good guitarists that interact in interesting ways.

I was watching History Channel, that restoration show, cool stuff! The commercial for "The Hatfields and The McCoys show premiering Memorial Day comes on and It gets my brain moving I wonder what it would be like living through something like that, that spurs the thought that Memorial Day is to commemorate the fallen soldiers through the history of our country, then I think of the song Funny How Time Slips Away, Recorded and performed by many, "Funny How Time Slips Away" is a song written by Willie Nelson and also performed by Willie Nelson. The song was included as a track on Willie Nelson's 1962 debut album, And Then I Wrote. And Willie's guitar work is IMHO awesome! Off to youtube I go and listen to

Just picked up the new live release by the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Everybody's Talking.

Default Jubu!!

I just learned of john Jubu Smith over the weekend, okay I'm slow to hear about things. He's played with lots of group and does lots of session work, as well as having a couple bands of his own.

Here he is at a regular jam of gospel players here in L.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ-l...eature=related

Here's a laid back groove that soooooo cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wmi...eature=related

Groove on.
    Steve B.