Blog Entries

Default The birth of a strat!

A very cool 4 minute video

Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Blog Entries

Back when Leo made them with soul....

Too soon we grow old, too late we grow wise

"I once played notes so fast that light emanated from the strings whereupon, I saw God.... who then told me to relax and start playing music."

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." David Gilmour

Truefire Science Officer (dabgonit....where's my blue shirt!)

Blog Entries

That dude workin the band saw at 0:53 was impressive. No way i could do that for more than an hour or so without losing a finger or breaking the blade.

I do have a question, It seems weird to me that guys would be working in the factory without a shirt, but still wearing long pants. Can anyone slightly older than i explain why? I mean, if it is hot, shorts seem like an obvious choice. If the heavy pants are for safety, then a shirt seems like a good idea. If shorts are a no-no for social reasons, how come no shirt is OK?

Tim

P.s. I am no kid, I am old enough to have played an instrument for 15 years, and then not played for 15 years...

Man, I have no idea...I didn't watch it all, but assume it's not some offshore sweatshop...it's an onshore one. Someone locally took a tour of the Heritage Guitars plant in Kalamazoo, MI, and said they still (90 year old?) drive shafts along the ceiling with belts coming down to the machine tools, no air conditioning and seemingly no ventilation.

I worked somewhere (non-musical) that didn't allow shorts...unofficially, people said it was because there were people there who shouldn't be seen in shorts, and to protect the rest, a uniform policy had to be enforced ;O)
    Just visiting TrueFire.com? Why not join us?

http://truefire.com/ignite/?code=murrayatuptowngaller

Blog Entries

Watch the second one - it is from 1959. It has a different vibe to it. Everyone is very busy (they are being filmed) but at a sustainable 'i can do this for 10 hours and not go crazy', non-depressing kind of pace. The factory has a relatively open feel to it, where it seems like a person might do more than one task vs doing one thing over and over. It is kinda dark and poorly lit/venilated, but i just assumed that everything back then was poorly lit ;-) The background music is good, too.

I briefly had a factory job where the equipment heat treated metal. It was 100* F in the middle of the warehouse, hotter by the equipment and even hotter behind it. My job was to clean behind the equipment. We had to wear pants for safety reasons - but we also had to wear shirts. It was hot, and it sucked, but i said, 'gee college doesn't seem like such a hard thing to do...'

Tim

Blog Entries

Cool vids... They make it look so easy, don't they. I suppose if you have all the right tools and jigs and such it *IS* easy.

Thanks for the vids.
    ----------------------------------
    Stay tuned

Chris