Blog Entries

Default Android Apps what you using?

Got myself an HTC tablet mainly for e-reading and surfing but now starting to use it more as a practice workstation, it still obvious that Android is way behind with music apps apposed to the iOS but can't bring myself to buy into Apple products don't know why. Anyway I'm starting to use these

http://chordbot.com/

AB Repeat Player https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....music21&hl=en

Mobile Metronome https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...etronome&hl=en

Maestro a Notation Editor https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...evelli.maestro

Music Sheet Workout https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...icsheetworkout

Anybody using anything else useful?

H

Worked On: BGSG Course BlogWorking On: 50 R&B Bass Grooves YMK Blog

Groove long and prosper Tune in to Funk Friday

Hey Hutch! Glad to see you entered the world of Android! I love my 2 tablets & every smartphone I've owned has been an android phone. BUT I also own an iPad 2 for 2 reasons...I teach in a school where we've adopted the iPad technology & the kids & teachers are using them. I wanted to show my principal that we in physical education could use them effectively as well...so I bought my own in hopes we would get one as part of the next wave of grants.

But I also bought the iPad BECAUSE Android doesn't do too well in the music app market. But some good apps to get include:

My Piano
    GuitarTabApp Pro
    Premier Guitar Magazine (once the month passes you can read the magazine for FREE!)
    Robotic Guitarist
    Ultimate Guitar Tabs (used to be good but they split the app in 2 and now CHARGE for the tools part even though we PAID for the WHOLE app! Owned by Ultimate Guitar Tabs website)
    GCHord
    Guitar Music Analyzer
    PChord (Piano chord finder)
    Perfect Ear
    Guitar Backing Tracks (searches Youtube for backing Tracks)
    gStrings Tuner

Also get yourself a good Office Suite so you can read/write Word/Excel/Powerpoint & PDF files...Docs To Go is popular. Also get the Amazon app Store app (open the browser on your tablet & search "Amazon app store apk") It will tell you to change your settings to allow it to be installed...Amazon has a daily paid app for free. Lately they've been offering crap but I have gotten OfficeSuite Professional & QuickOffice Pro for free which are $15 apps!

But to be quite honest as much as I hate to admit it, the iPad beats android in the music creation department. Garageband and the ability to get the iRig attachment (and other cool gear made for the iPad) to input your guitar directly to the iPad for recording as well as your DAW!

Good Luck
    My Course Blogs:

Blog Entries

Watcha mike hey man thanks for some of those app recommends downloading as I type although looks like I can't access the American Amazon app store which has a few more options than the Euro versions. I'm really enjoying getting my head around Android and I'm sure as I get to know more I think my PC time will get less. Still trying to find a way of reading the Guitar Player mag free versions that you need Adobe Air to read on your PC I loaded the Air app but couldn't get them to read on the tablet need to know more about .apk files and how to open them I think. Finding that a whole new world of digital reading is now open to me with e-mags and e-books plus pdf's that I make up from copying articles off websites glad I didn't buy a Kindle but SWMBO enjoys hers. It will be interesting in the future if developers explore Android more for music apps but I certainly have enough to keep me out of mischief for a while.

Maybe we should sticky this thread/a thread like you suggested a while a go so we could keep adding to the apps as people pick up on it.

H

You need to learn how to root your tablet (hack it). It really opens up possibilities with customizing & installing apps not from the app store. I thought there was a UK Amazon app store. You could try accessing the app store from your PC on the amazon site. See if they have the apk for the store there. I know I can order apps/book/music from my PC & they will automatically download to my tablet within seconds.

I am totally obsessed with hacking my Androids...flashing ROMS & adding tweaks...I own the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet, Viewsonic gTablet (it's older & I might be getting rid of that one), Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone (my current phone), Droid Bionic phone & the Original Motorola Droid. I only use my iPad for work & guitar stuff...and as a $500 remote control for my TV!
    My Course Blogs:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    You need to learn how to root your tablet (hack it). It really opens up possibilities with customizing & installing apps not from the app store. I thought there was a UK Amazon app store. You could try accessing the app store from your PC on the amazon site. See if they have the apk for the store there. I know I can order apps/book/music from my PC & they will automatically download to my tablet within seconds.

I am totally obsessed with hacking my Androids...flashing ROMS & adding tweaks...I own the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet, Viewsonic gTablet (it's older & I might be getting rid of that one), Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone (my current phone), Droid Bionic phone & the Original Motorola Droid. I only use my iPad for work & guitar stuff...and as a $500 remote control for my TV!
    Tweaking appeals to me that's what drew me to Android and not iOS but I'm sure it will will unfold for me I've only had it a week. Amazon UK and other Euro versions don't have an app store yet don't know why they aren't global with it doh!! So how did you get yoda with rooting mike?

H

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch82 View Post
    Tweaking appeals to me that's what drew me to Android and not iOS but I'm sure it will will unfold for me I've only had it a week. Amazon UK and other Euro versions don't have an app store yet don't know why they aren't global with it doh!! So how did you get yoda with rooting mike?

H
    YOU'VE HAD IT A WEEK AND IT'S NOT ROOTED!!!! Mine was rooted within an HOUR of taking it out of the box!!! I'm running the latest version of Android Iced Cream Sandwich (they name the versions after sweet deserts...the next one is called Jelly Bean!)

As for rooting, you can google your device with "how to root..." before it to get the information. I've been on several message boards & when you find one that has your device (you might have to try a few that have a lot of traffic for your device) they have threads & stickies with the how to...many of the developers have "1-Click" programs for your PC that you just plug your tablet into the USB & run the program. It will root the device for you & do some other things you might need! Android developers are AMAZING! Usually what they come up with is FAR better than what the manufacturers come up with! Do a lot of reading before starting...it gets scary at first because you wonder if it's going to work...but it is hard to "brick" (destroy) your device...BUT the danger IS STILL THERE so be careful!
    My Course Blogs:

Blog Entries

YOU'VE HAD IT A WEEK AND IT'S NOT ROOTED!!!! Mine was rooted within an HOUR of taking it out of the box!!! I'm running the latest version of Android Iced Cream Sandwich (they name the versions after sweet deserts...the next one is called Jelly Bean!)

As for rooting, you can google your device with "how to root..." before it to get the information. I've been on several message boards & when you find one that has your device (you might have to try a few that have a lot of traffic for your device) they have threads & stickies with the how to...many of the developers have "1-Click" programs for your PC that you just plug your tablet into the USB & run the program. It will root the device for you & do some other things you might need! Android developers are AMAZING! Usually what they come up with is FAR better than what the manufacturers come up with! Do a lot of reading before starting...it gets scary at first because you wonder if it's going to work...but it is hard to "brick" (destroy) your device...BUT the danger IS STILL THERE so be careful!
    Need to do a shed load of reading I think but so much to do at the min now I'm back into playing and reading about playing in between lol...if you come by any links that you think I have to read dude just pm me or stick 'em up here. Really appreciate the info you've put up mate and has got me curious, think we need a Truefire Android app for us devotees don't ya think

H

Quote Originally Posted by hutch82 View Post
    think we need a truefire android app for us devotees don't ya think

h
    hint to brad!!!!!!
    My Course Blogs:

Blog Entries

I've been using A-B Repeat Player recently for playing back practice/backing tracks but after using Transcribe today thought I'd see if there was a slow downer A-B player in the Play store and have tried this Audio Speed Changer Free version and does the job fine for slowing tempo's and transcribing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

H

I've been using A-B Repeat Player recently for playing back practice/backing tracks but after using Transcribe today thought I'd see if there was a slow downer A-B player in the Play store and have tried this Audio Speed Changer Free version and does the job fine for slowing tempo's and transcribing
    That app definitely looks like something I could get some use out of. Thanks for posting the link. While looking at your link, I noticed a few metronome apps. I think I shall do some reseach and see if I can find one of them that is highly rated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrhoden View Post
    That app definitely looks like something I could get some use out of. Thanks for posting the link. While looking at your link, I noticed a few metronome apps. I think I shall do some reseach and see if I can find one of them that is highly rated.
    I've been using the same developers Mobile Metronome Free and that works a treat too JR...apps are cool, says this latecomer to them

H

hint to brad!!!!!!
    Aye from me!!!

Blog Entries

Just starting to use the irealb app and already can see I'm going to spend a lot of time with it and well worth the 6.99/$11ish you download the charts from the forum. It's like a BIAB tool very easy to use HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and the Android version is catching up with the iOS version due to more interest it seems, charts already up from jazz to bluegrass and you can make your own and share them.

http://irealb.com/forums/index.php

H

Just starting to use the irealb app and already can see I'm going to spend a lot of time with it and well worth the 6.99/$11ish you download the charts from the forum. It's like a BIAB tool very easy to use HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and the Android version is catching up with the iOS version due to more interest it seems, charts already up from jazz to bluegrass and you can make your own and share them.

http://irealb.com/forums/index.php

H
    I have the iOS version but have only toyed with it...I'm waiting for summer vacation to submerge myself back into guitar...
    My Course Blogs:

Hey Guys!
    I'm in the same boat as you and I love Android - I have a rooted Incredible 2 and I've tried literally all of the ROMs but I'm on CM7 and I runs great! My favorite app that I have been using for a while is called "Chordbot" which allows you to type in a chord, chord type and it has certain styles which are cool. It's great for just throwing together a chord progression and immediately practicing over it.
    I also use mobile metronome, interval recognition and Drum Loops - for when I get bored of the metronome
    The best tuner for me is DaTuner Lite - it's the most accurate I've used.
    I'm going to try out some of your recommendations as well. Some day I'll get a tablet but I bought my wife an iPad!

Just picked up chordbot. Cheers guys

Blog Entries

Default Cool 2-5-1 app

Been discovering Matt Warnock's cool little 251 app on Android but on i platform

Still discovering Drop2 n 3 chords be nice if you can make a sequence up but I can do that in iReal band which is catching up with the iOS version

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/mat...phone-and-ipad

H

Smile Androids?

I am not sure this question really app-lies to me. I am still getting used to using my last two tablets. The newer one is more complete and closer to state of the art even though it is a bit larger.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Studying in Jeff Beasley's Sherpa Class, Shred Warehouse! Alumni of Steve Lasner's Bar Room Blues Workshop! Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine..." So I must be overdosing.Eph. 4:31,32 I need to remember this every day.

Blog Entries

keep taking dem tablets bud

H