Default Brad Carlton's Blues Bass for Beginners

This course is helping my guitar work. I don't have a bass, but working through the concepts with a guitar is helpful. There was nothing stopping me from applying the same ideas on guitar, but it just never occurred to me. So I'm thinking differently on guitar and took the time to explore a concept Chris Buono mentioned - Improvisation by Permutation or something similar.

The six patterns for a 4 note arpeggio that always has root on the downbeat (so it's really root + 6 permutations possible with the remaining 3 notes) got me thinking that's where the '24 possible patterns' for 4 free notes (say a five-note arp = root + 4) come from. Then, being a tech geek, I wanted to understand how to predict them and think them through repeatedly and efficiently instead of fumbling around.

This gives me something to do with my left hand if I'm sitting around bored & waiting for something like a train crossing or someone to stop boring me in a meeting.
    Just visiting TrueFire.com? Why not join us?

http://truefire.com/ignite/?code=murrayatuptowngaller

Default Strong notes on strong beats with strong resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by murrayatuptown View Post
    This course is helping my guitar work. I don't have a bass, but working through the concepts with a guitar is helpful. There was nothing stopping me from applying the same ideas on guitar, but it just never occurred to me. So I'm thinking differently on guitar and took the time to explore a concept Chris Buono mentioned - Improvisation by Permutation or something similar.
    The six patterns for a 4 note arpeggio that always has root on the downbeat (so it's really root + 6 permutations possible with the remaining 3 notes) got me thinking that's where the '24 possible patterns' for 4 free notes (say a five-note arp = root + 4) come from. Then, being a tech geek, I wanted to understand how to predict them and think them through repeatedly and efficiently instead of fumbling around.
    This gives me something to do with my left hand if I'm sitting around bored & waiting for something like a train crossing or someone to stop boring me in a meeting
    I couldn't agree more and have bought many, many bass courses, books & videos over the years.
    I haven't done so only in the hopes of broadening my musical experience, but to solidify the framework of my guitar playing.
    As I see it, bass playing (at its best) exemplifies Robbie Calvo's "Sweet Notes" principles.
    Strong notes on strong beats with strong resolutions.

esh.

After reading this thread I decided to take a look at the sample videos and this looks like a fun course. I knew Truefire had some Stu Hamm courses, but I wasn;t aware that Brad C. had a blues bass course. I think I will put this one on my wish list.

John

Brad also released Jump Start Bass a little earlier. He mentions it at one point in 'Blues Bass...'.

I wasn't sure what the reference was about...at one point I thought Blues Bass included some of the Jump Start Blues content, then another time I thought Blues Bass was a follow-on course...but it's a beginner course...I dunno.
    Just visiting TrueFire.com? Why not join us?

http://truefire.com/ignite/?code=murrayatuptowngaller

Default Thanks for this course!!!...

Love all of Brad's work here...Use the arpeggios all the time now in jams and the 6 arpeggio and the 7/6 arpeggio make me feel groovy in rockabilly and light jazz settings too!..

By the way I am a level I piano player and started using the bass arpeggios with my left hand and a variety of broken chords with my right, and I can start to groove in a band setting( When you can play Rhythm, Bass, and Keys they have to let you in the band!!..).

Look forward to Scott D too..Already have taken some of his courses.

Cheers..Keep up the great work

rainman57

Name:  PapoJim1Web.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  45.2 KB

Seems like a great course from a great bass guitar player.. This is would of the few good starters for bass guitar lessons..
    Last edited by kurtdaniel; 06-25-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Default Pick vs Fingers

Brad, Love the course. I've played acoustic guitar for over 40 years. I'm looking to learn a few bass lines to play when just noodling with friends so we're not all just playing the same thing. When playing the bass, I'm comfortable with a pick in my hand - not so much using my fingers (even though I'm a finger picker, go figure). Is it a bad idea to just use a pick and forget about using my fingers. I can make a lot more progress through the course with a pick but don't want to pick-up any (more) bad habits.
    Thanks,
    Dutch