Blog Entries

Default Which Rhythm course for me?

Hi,
    I have a question on which rhythm guitar course i should get. I am trying to decide between the 40 Day SWAT and the two Robbie Calvo courses, RhythmCraft and Rhythmology .

Where i am at: I am no longer a beginner, but not really an intermediate on TF. When i look at the beginner listed courses on TFTV, they all look like things i already know. On the other hand, the intermediate level courses very quickly go beyond what i know. I can play simple power chord songs (Green Day etc) and simple rock songs that don't have solos (Judas priest - breakin the law). I know my open chords and basic scales.

Where i would like to go: I have two goals for my playing. one is to be able to get together with a group of people and jam (probably hard rock/older metal type of music, but any type would be good) and i would like to play in public, in front of people, maybe even on a stage (probably as rhythm guitarist).

Where i have been: I played Cello for 15 years, so i have a pretty good ear and good left hand technique. Conversely, this background did nothing for right hand tech or improvisation. I have a decent understanding of music theory, but little applied knowledge.

I want to get the 50 Metal Licks and the Fretboard Epiphanies courses. I think the Licks will continue to move me forward in the style i want to play, and FE will fill in the gaps and help me apply theory to play with other people.

So, between the 3 rhythm courses, is one easier or harder? More suited to one style or another? Is one a better foundation than the others?

I am also considering the Blues Jam course, but i think i may be beyond my budget at this time - i am sure it is a common problem

Thanks for the help,
    Tim

I don't have the necessary insight in these courses to help you, but I would like to mention Robbie's "Rhythm Architect" as another option.
    I'm not really sure which of Robbie's rhythm courses is the starting point, so to speak, but Robbie is open for questions at the moment:
    http://truefire.com/fireside-chats/robbie-calvo.html
    Remember to watch out for the TrueFire "egg hunt" Easter sale
    Johnny

Less is more

Blog Entries

plumbee,
    I was going to write up a good answer to your question last night, but got involved in home activities and didn't get to it.
    I might get to it during lunch, and if not definitely tonight. You haven't been ignored.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Hey plumbee:
    It would be cool to know which style would you like to play. Blues, Jazz, Hard, Garage? 40 day SWAT is quite comprehensive since it covers many essential rhythms like funk, ska, reggae, soul, jazz, and also punk. If your choice is Blues Jeff Scheetz has a nice course 50 Blues Rock Rhythms.Matt Brandt's Triads and Hendrixian Double Stops is also cool if your goal is to play in a band. Anyway I have to admit i am a Robbie Calvo's fan, maybe Rhythmcraft is less diverse. This would be my first option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rgalvez View Post
    Hey plumbee:
    It would be cool to know which style would you like to play. Blues, Jazz, Hard, Garage? 40 day SWAT is quite comprehensive since it covers many essential rhythms like funk, ska, reggae, soul, jazz, and also punk. If your choice is Blues Jeff Scheetz has a nice course 50 Blues Rock Rhythms.Matt Brandt's Triads and Hendrixian Double Stops is also cool if your goal is to play in a band. Anyway I have to admit i am a Robbie Calvo's fan, maybe Rhythmcraft is less diverse. This would be my first option.
    I really like hard rock, grunge, and metal but also enjoy blues and funk. I think as a beginner, that i would still want to learn as wide a variety as possible. Actually, the only style i am not particularly interested in is modern country ;-)

I appreciate the recommendation on the triads and double stop courses. I think they will go in my "on deck" list after i get thru whatever i get during the egg hunt. I don't think you can go wrong with learning blues basics as they form the backbone of so much modern music, right?

thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by plumbee View Post
    I really like hard rock, grunge, and metal but also enjoy blues and funk. I think as a beginner, that i would still want to learn as wide a variety as possible. Actually, the only style i am not particularly interested in is modern country ;-)
    Interesting: I feel you will be happy with Chris Buono's courses: check out Funk Fission, 50 metal links, 40 days SWAT , Blues Progressions. But answering your question now I am more tempted to recommend Chris' 40 days SWAT Camp , and Robbi's Rhtymcraft.

Blog Entries

OK finally got a chance to type up an answer.

First off you mention "the two Robbie Calvo courses, RhythmCraft and Rhythmology". Well Rhythmology is an advanced course by Brad Carlton, Great Course, just no for beginners. I think the other course you are thinking about is Rhythm Architect, as Johnny mentioned.

These course are almost two sides of the same coin. R.Craft is aimed more at different ways of playing over the same changes. While R.Arch is more for playing complimentary parts that stack well together. Robbie does do some stacking in R.Craft, but you could just as easily take all the examples of a given style, link them end to end and make a song. From what you've said so far I think R.Craft would be a better fit for you, but you can't really go wrong with either.

Blues Jam Survival is aimed at getting you prepared to play out for the first time. Jeff goes over some basic rhythms, as well as some lead work, but for truly learning rhythm techniques there are better choices.

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]rgalvez mentioned Traids and Hendrixian Doublestops. I think this is more solidly in the intermediate realm, but I do like his recommendation for 50 Blues Rock Rhythms, this covers a lot of the rock and heavier pop style rhythms. A great follow up is Jeff's Rock Solid Course. Classic TF course with coverage of Rhythm and lead work.

50 Metal Licks. Chris Buono serves up all kinds of crunchy goodness. I think you would have a blast with this one. Not only power chords, but some great single note style riffs.

Fretboard Epiphanies?? You really threw me with this one. Don't get me wrong I love this course and raved about it when it first came out. However I see it as a fingerstyle course. But if you want to sound like you know what you are doing while playing relatively easy arrangements it is a great course. And he sneaks in all kinds of useful theory with out you really knowing it. I don't want to steer you away from this course, but it just didn't seem to fit in with the rest.

40 Day Swat. A literal crash course in rhythm styles. A little history, this is the second version of this course. The original was based on the original TrueFire format of interactive pdfs, with mp3 audio clips linked in. Kind of a compilation of many of the "Notes on Call" audio lessons and their associated text. Then About 3-4 years ago Chris revisited the 40 choices, moved a few things around, and recorded lesson videos for an updated version. One important thing to note. Some of the 40 "days" have multiple examples in the lesson, however the video usually only covers one example for the day. There is usually a ptab file, so you can hear an example though. This isn't a huge issue, just some thing you should know going in.

So now the actual recommendation. Based on ---
    Quote Originally Posted by [/COLOR
    plumbee] I think as a beginner, that i would still want to learn as wide a variety as possible.

I would suggest 40 Day Rhythm SWAT, simply for it's diversity. Then either of the Robbie Calvo courses. But just for sheer FUN I would get 50 Metal Licks to work on in parallel with the above suggested course.

I do recommend visiting TrueFireTV and preview the course samples.
    Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or women, ... your choice.

If you take Satan for a ride, pretty soon he'll want to drive.

Favorite Course - Blues Alchemy
    Working On - Fretboard Epiphanies & Jump Blues

Blog Entries

First, Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Once i realized the sale was coming up, i previewed a ton of courses, and they started to run together.

Second, it was Rhythm Architect i was considering.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbasque View Post

These course are almost two sides of the same coin. R.Craft is aimed more at different ways of playing over the same changes. While R.Arch is more for playing complimentary parts that stack well together. Robbie does do some stacking in R.Craft, but you could just as easily take all the examples of a given style, link them end to end and make a song. From what you've said so far I think R.Craft would be a better fit for you, but you can't really go wrong with either.
    Thanks, this is very helpful. That makes the previewing i did the other night make more sense.
    Blues Jam Survival is aimed at getting you prepared to play out for the first time. Jeff goes over some basic rhythms, as well as some lead work, but for truly learning rhythm techniques there are better choices.
    Thanks - i was kinda on the fence about this one.
    Fretboard Epiphanies?? You really threw me with this one. Don't get me wrong I love this course and raved about it when it first came out. However I see it as a fingerstyle course. But if you want to sound like you know what you are doing while playing relatively easy arrangements it is a great course. And he sneaks in all kinds of useful theory with out you really knowing it. I don't want to steer you away from this course, but it just didn't seem to fit in with the rest.
    So, the logic was that i wanted a theory course that was more theory than Ravi's 30 progressions (which i liked but is mostly stuff i already know) and i was impressed when i previewed it. The vids i looked at has both fingerstyle and pick and i saw it as a secondary way to practice my lagging right hand technique. I picked it up at the egg hunt, so we shall see how it goes.
    [I would suggest 40 Day Rhythm SWAT, simply for it's diversity. Then either of the Robbie Calvo courses. But just for sheer FUN I would get 50 Metal Licks to work on in parallel with the above suggested course.
    I got 50 Metal licks this afternoon while egg hunting - a very easy decision!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgalvez;
    I am more tempted to recommend Chris' 40 days SWAT Camp , and Robbi's Rhtymcraft
    And off to the Egg Hunt i go for 40 Day SWAT and RhythmCraft
    Thanks again for all the help,
    Tim

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]rgalvez mentioned Traids and Hendrixian Doublestops. I think this is more solidly in the intermediate realm, but I do like his recommendation for 50 Blues Rock Rhythms, this covers a lot of the rock and heavier pop style rhythms. A great follow up is Jeff's Rock Solid Course. Classic TF course with coverage of Rhythm and lead work.
    Great post Rj.Let me tell you that Matt Brandt's Triads and Hendrixian double stops is not as advanced as you think. check this out.it's is really cool, easy to follow, and I think it is quite important if you want to play in a band.Give it a try.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rgalvez View Post
    Great post Rj.Let me tell you that Matt Brandt's Triads and Hendrixian double stops is not as advanced as you think. check this out.it's is really cool, easy to follow, and I think it is quite important if you want to play in a band.Give it a try.
    Rgalvez, thanks for the feedback... this kind of recommendation is extremely helpful.

Thanks
    Tim

Default 1 2 3 - Jazz

I'd like to recommend Frank Vignolas 1-2-3-Jazz.

The course gives you three basic techniques and demonstrates that you can get amazingly far with them. Because of the limited amount of material I felt encouraged to study it more deeply than other courses.

With the jam tracks you can get a feel of the endurance that is necessary for rhythm playing, which I feel is an important aspect.

... and of course, Frank is a pleasant teacher!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by werox View Post
    I'd like to recommend Frank Vignolas 1-2-3-Jazz.

The course gives you three basic techniques and demonstrates that you can get amazingly far with them. Because of the limited amount of material I felt encouraged to study it more deeply than other courses.

With the jam tracks you can get a feel of the endurance that is necessary for rhythm playing, which I feel is an important aspect.

... and of course, Frank is a pleasant teacher!

Peter
    Thank you for the info werox!