Default Sherpa Instructors introduce yourselves here!

This will be a spot where all of the Sherpa instructors can give us a brief description of the material and style of stuff they teach in their classroom, as well as give everyone a little info on their background and playing history.
    Jeff Scheetz - TrueFire's Director of Education
    TrueFire
    Jeff Scheetz Website and Blog

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." - Benjamin Franklin -

Default Hello

I'm Red aka Steve Lasner

My classroom is about learning blues songs but it's not limited to just songs. My goal is to help my students hone their skills as a musician, learn to play songs from beginning to end, develop a stronger ear, strengthen their technique, learn to deal with stage fright, learn the psychology of playing music and just about anything else I can help my students with.

My background:
    I've been playing/learning guitar for over 45 yrs, music has been a part of my life ever since conception, my Mom played the organ and sang while pregnant with me so I was learning to sing as I was learning to talk, attempted playing organ as soon as I was able to reach the keyboard and gravitated to guitar at age 7, so, music runs through my veins! I've performed nationally and internationally in bar rooms, juke joints, gin mills, dance clubs, back yard parties, yacht clubs, weddings, cruise ships, large concerts and festivals, gas stations, pizza parlors, you name it and I've played it. The money ain't great but the experience and fun makes it worth it. I've played so many different styles I don't know where to start! rock, country, jazz, reggae, blues, cajun, zydeco........basically anything they will pay me to play

I got into the blues pretty heavy in the late 80s after jamming at a blues jam hosted by the late great James Peterson, he offered me a gig and taught me what the blues is really about. Playing in James' band led to meeting and playing with his son Lucky Peterson (a modern day blues legend) Playing with bluesmen like James, Lucky, Buddy Miles, Tony Coleman (BB King's drummer), Killer (Buddy Guy's drummer), members of The Fabulous Thunderbirds, countless members of Greg Allman's band, Derek Trucks' family brought Derek to my jam to play when he was 14 and again when he was 15, I could keep going but I think I've dropped more than enough names to show who I've learned the blues from.

Like Jimi Hendrix said "The blues is easy to play but it's hard to feel" I've submerged myself in the blues culture and I've developed a "feel" for the blues derived from playing with literally hundreds of great blues musicians and from studying the styles of many of my heroes from blues to country to rock to jazz, all of these influences come together to create my style.
    Last edited by slasner; 03-22-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Default Hello From Jimmy Heffernan

Hi everyone !
    I new to the TF teaching staff and have to say what a wonderful world you guys have created here !

My first course "The Dobro Handbook" is doing very well and I just wanted to stop in here and thank everyone. I also wanted to let everyone know that I'm also a Sherpa and having a blast at it. I have 6 students in the classroom so far but fear not, there's room for more ! My aim is to give you a ton of high quality Dobro instruction for your Dobro Dollar.

I also play Pedal Steel Guitar as well as Bluegrass Banjo so if anyone has an itch in those worlds I can scratch it for you in the Sherpa classroom. The Dobro as well as Steel Guitar and Banjo are instruments that really pay to get some help on right off the bat. Once you're grounded with the correct (and often easier) ways to play then shooting off from there makes things a whole easier. And chicks dig a College man !

You can check out my life on some of the other TF pages but I've spent my whole life on the road with the likes of Brad Paisley, Joe Diffie, Larry Sparks, Charlie Louvin and many many others. I've got off the road and devote most of my time to teaching and loving it.

I'm in the Sherpa class room most everyday so I think you'll be surprised at the amount of attention you'll receive. I dig it and I know you will too. Unless you don't like me or don't want to learn what I play......
    Hope to hear from you !
    Jimmy

Hey all - I'm Jeff Scheetz. My classroom is called the Blues Rock Summit - but we really cover all kinds of stuff in there. I have several CDs out of more instrumental guitar stuff (Vai, or Satch etc style) but my most recent CDs have been more bluesy rock - kind of Hendrix meets the Allmans I guess, so I do a variety of styles, but love rock stuff that has a bluesy funk element.

In my classroom I work with students on what they personally want to do - but I LOVE the fact that I can SEE your vids and watch you play - this helps immensely with getting you on the right path. So we not only work on rhythm lessons and some soloing stuff, but also do technique things in order to make the rest of it easier!

We have a ton of fun in my room and do "student jams" where all students play over the same track, and also share some "tunes" (Currently on a kick to see how many Zep songs we can cover) -

So stoked about working in the Sherpa environment - it has been slowly replacing any private face to face lessons I do - because it just has so much more to offer the students.

Shout out with any questions -

JS
    Jeff Scheetz - TrueFire's Director of Education
    TrueFire
    Jeff Scheetz Website and Blog

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." - Benjamin Franklin -

Default Greetings from the Metal Shop

Hi everyone, my name is Scott Allen and I run the Guitar Sherpa classroom the Metal Shop. In my room we learn the techniques behind all styles of Hard Rock and Metal. we cover everything from Hendrix, Clapton, Page and Beck, to van Halen and Randy Rhoads, to Satriani, Vai, and Malmsteen. Syles of Metal cover everything from Thin Lizzy, UFO, Sabbath, and Deep Purple to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, and Metallica. We cover Prog metal like Dream Theater, Rush, and Fates Warning to newer metal styles like Nevermore, Lamb of Gos, Trivium and Children of Bodom. I also cover neo-classical shred like Yngwie, Vinnie Moore and Cacophony. There is a lot more but suffice it to say that if you are a fan of classic Hard Rock, Metal, Prog, Thrash and Shred you will like my classroom. Below is a quick bio on me so you can get a good feel for my background.Scott Allen is a Musicians Institute (G.I.T) graduate whose band Scott Allen Project has opened for a number of national acts such as: Lynch Mob, Michael Schenker, Gary Hoey, Eric Martin of Mr. Big, Dave Meniketti of Y&T, Eric Gales and more. While attending Musician’s Institute Scott studied with such notable instructors as: Steve Trovato, Nick Nolan, Keith Wyatt, Paul Hanson, Frank Gambale, Jennifer Batten, Brett Garsed, T.J Helmerich, Scott Henderson, David Oakes, Tommy Tedesco, Daniel Gilbert, Danny Gill and Tom Kolb.Scott has been a full time guitar instructor, performer, recording artist and session player since graduating from G.I.T in 1996. In 2009 Scott began his successful Shred on Arrival clinic series which combines live performances with guitar instruction focusing on advanced lead guitar techniques such as eight finger tapping, multi octave sweep arpeggios, and speed picking.
    In 2006 Scott Allen released his critically acclaimed, and Frank Hannon produced debut album What Lies Beyond Words. Scott released his follow up album entitled From the Blindside in 2010 to strong reviews, and earned a featured spot on Metal Express Radio’s Daily Album Premiere and 12th hour radio shows. Scott has been featured in Mike Varney’s Spotlight Column in Guitar Player Magazine. He has also been featured in many interviews and reviews.
    Tracks from What Lies Beyond Words have been featured on Ernie Ball Radio, on the Ernie Ball Music Man website. Scott writes instructional columns on the guitar websites Guitar9.com, Chops from Hell, Guitarz-For-Ever.com, and Shredaholic.com.
    In 2008, Scott released his first instructional DVD, The Art of Rock Guitar, for Chops from Hell. Guitar9.com chose Scott as their Undiscovered Artist for November 2005. Scott has endorsements with Vigier Guitars, SIT Strings, Dimarzio Pickups, Morley Pedals, George L Cables, and Peavey Amplifiers.

Default Hi Everyone! 21st century fusion guitarist Maurice Arenas is here!

Hi Everyone, Maurice Arenas here to take your guitar playing to the 21st century!

I am a classically trained and jazz trained guitarist who has been playing since the age of 4. I love and play all kind of styles of music but am specializing here on Fusion Guitar because I love listening to artists like Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, John Mclaughlin and Al Dimeola shred it up the fingerboard like it's no ones business.

I believe no question is a dumb question and I really thrive answering students questions all the time because it makes me feel like I am sharing all that I have acquired in 38+ years of playing to the next generation of great guitar players.

In the sherpa dojo, the sherpa is a sensei. I am a guitar sherpa and I also am a sensei in martial arts with 5 black belts. Being a martial artist only adds to the spirituality of passing knowledge to others.

A "sensei" in Japanese literally means "the one before". I believe it is my duty as a sherpa and a sensei to share all that I know to you because one day you will too become a sensei. We must pass all our knowledge on to future generations for good karma and preservation of this fine art.

So I am here at the dojo to help. Feel free to ask questions or just to say hi!

Maurice Arenas

Default Hello! The Fusion Fun House Has Begun!

I am very happy to be here and to meet all of you! Teaching has been a passion of mine and I've been doing it for over 20 years now.

Fusion or Progressive rock has always had a special place in my heart even though I started listening to AC/DC and Black Sabbath when I was like 10 years old. When I came across some Allan Holdsworth my life changed from that day forward on how I looked at the instrument. It's really a players unique voice that sets them apart. Not always technique. If you can develop the ability to get your point across musically then you really have accomplished something significant and special that puts you on the musical map.

In order to develop your inner voice you need to really develop your vocabulary first. Music is a language and science proves that language centers in the brain are activated when you start to improvise music. Therefore learning the foundation is key to getting off the ground and progressing to where you want to be as a player.

I have learned through many years of trial and error what works and what doesn't as well as what you should start learning and developing so that you don't make the same mistakes that I made over the years. This shaves off so much time and in my mind makes you progress faster as a player than linear pathways of learning.

The Fusion Fun House covers a lot of ground but it also covers the essentials to creating the best foundation in your playing regardless of how long you've been playing. I cover techniques of course but we break down alot of it so that economy of motion becomes second nature. Quadrophonic Equations, Economy picking, legato, improvisation techniques, how to develop practice routines, theory and applications of scales over harmony, phrasing etc. as well as getting into your strengths as a player are covered in the Fusion Fun House.

I enjoy answering questions and taking the time to meet new peeps. Email me or message me if need be - Again I look forward to being here amongst these other great Guitar Sherpas!

All the best,
    Joe

Default Hi from Jamie Andreas (GuitarPrinciples)

Hi Everybody,

My name is Jamie Andreas, and my specialty is building guitar players, which means guiding anyone to professional levels of playing ability. Most guitar players who have not been able to reach professional levels of playing ability merely learn new things and play them the same way. They always have the same problems, such as the inability to play fast scales with power and relaxation, troubles with hammers and pulls, trouble bending and doing a smooth vibrato, etc.. In my 40 years of teaching guitar, I have analyzed the reason for these problems, and developed methods that solve them, and allow you to enjoy an entirely new level of ability on guitar.

These methods work for every level of student and every style
    of guitar and are guaranteed to do a number of things for anyone who uses them. They are called "The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar" and they will:

• Begin any guitar player perfectly, so that no bad habits are formed.
    • Fix the many bad habits guitar students and players invariably and unknowingly acquire during their first few years playing, and usually carry on for the rest of their playing life.
    • Enable anyone to achieve professional levels of playing ability in any style, including the ability to play fast scales easily with relaxation, master all chord changes, and generally, understand and solve any technical problems they have or meet up with in the course of learning music.

If these claims seem a bit bold, I would invite you to visit the forum on my website, at www.guitarprinciples.com/forum, where hundreds of players have successfully done these things, and are in the process of doing them. Or, read the facebook testimonials on my sherpa page(scroll to bottom of page)....they are all real, actual cases of great transformation of playing abilities, and players being saved from "throwing my guitar away".

************************************************** *********************************

I regularly teach people from around the world via Skype, and also players who come to me in person (I recently re-located to Las Vegas) for intense private sessions. My methods are scientific, based on the laws of how the body learns, and once you learn them, you will have the confidence and the ability to go as far as you wish with the guitar.

Personally, I favor fingerstyle and classical in my playing, but I spent years studying jazz, ( a few of those years with Howard Morgen), and blues/rock. I have a Rock/Blues Foundation method that teaches the secrets of how to develop a controlled vibrato, as well as proper bending technique, and all the other fundamentals of all 5 Pentatonic scales.

My book "The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar" has been used by tens of thousands of players worldwide to solve their playing problems, and I was recently featured in the book "Guitar Zero", and was interviewed along with Pat Martino and Tom Morello by the author, NYU Professor of Cognitive Psychology Dr. Gary Marcus who had this to say ........

Name:  gz-book-forGuitarSherpa.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  40.8 KB"A teacher who impressed me immensely, and who takes a very different approach, was Jamie Andreas, a classically trained guitarist who makes her living giving lessons online (via video Skype). Jamie is one of the few teachers who seems interested in the relationship between muscle and brain, and how to use one’s body efficiently. Swim coaches and golf teachers consider such questions all the time, but it’s decidedly rare in the field of music instruction.

Later, I got to meet Jamie in person and the more we talked, the more impressed I became.
    Jamie’s students are often adults who come to her because they get stuck at a plateau that they’d like to move past. Her emphasis was almost entirely on the mechanics of proper motor control- on getting one’s muscles to do what one wants, as efficiently as possible with as little tension as possible (reminiscent, for those who know it, of the Alexander technique, but applied to guitar); everything centers around perfect posture and smooth motion.

Although Jamie had never taken a formal class in cognitive psychology, she had devoured a textbook on human motor control some years earlier and developed an excellent understanding of how the brain takes in information, incorporating it into her approach. She also spent years closely examining where students tended to get stuck. She viewed guitarists the way auto mechanics look at cars; she recognized a host of common problems, had a set of tools for diagnosis, and had a matching set of tricks for making things right.

Anyone who wants to be a true artist needs to start with sound fundamentals, and Jamie’s lessons (or her cult classic book The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar) would be a fine place to start, maybe the closest an adult could come to developing the kinds of habits that are instilled in Suzuki training……"

Basically, think of me as "The Guitar Doctor"..........I cure whatever ails you on guitar, so you can merrily scamper around wonderful repositories of guitar music like TrueFire, with the confidence that you will be able to learn the material effectively, and end up playing it just like the teacher on the video!

To that effect, here is a video talking about some extremely common finger maladies that commonly cripple the playing efforts of the erstwhile guitar student......."The 4 Diseases Of The Left Hand"

I am here at Guitar Sherpa, ready to make YOU the best guitarist you are capable of being.

9. Default HI from the Bebop Dojo.

The Bebop Dojo is for all subjects traditional, straight-ahead, fusion and contemporary jazz. I've been so blessed to work in all of these styles for over 30 years, and to work with some of the best in the field. Developing the Bebop Dojo has been an incredible experience to share my secrets and concepts for developing an authentic jazz style through subjects ranging from basic harmony to advance chord voicing systems, all the basic scales/modes to symmetrical scales and playing over signature harmonic challenges like John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and "Naima." We've also got an "After Hours" jam channel where folks can share their jams.

I've learned an incredible amount working on the program and working with the amazing students enrolled with me, and I've seen some incredible results from the students applying the ideas and taking them out into the real world, developing their technique and reaching higher and higher goals. That makes me very very happy!

Peace Out:
    Sheryl

Default Guitar Gym in the House

Hey!

Chris Buono here coming up for some air from the Guitar Gym to give you a rundown. Man! What a ride this has been so far - 10 months in and the Gym is as strong as ever with students from the US to Australia and plenty in-between.

So ...

The 'Gym is all about building your chops while having a great time doing it. GG is split into two levels that both base themselves in what I call Workout Schedules (WS). A WS doles out your practice routine down to the minute. You work within 13 Skills within five Levels - Beginner, Early Intermediate, Late Intermediate, Early Advanced and Advanced - ranging from Alternate Picking to Tapping to Triads. Each Skill is packed with Workouts that have videos explaining how to play them supported by PowerTab charts. There are videos of me playing the Workout for you at three different tempos, which serve as "tempo tiers" that you work up to. When you least expect it, but only when I know you can handle it, I will "morph" the Workout and push you even further. After seeing some prelim playing videos I get right to work conjuring a specialized-personalized WS that you work through. Every step of the way I'm there checking out your "progress videos" with video and text feedback. The results I've seen thus far are nothing short of awesome and I'm so psyched to see the Guitar Gym have such a positive effect. It's all about discipline and organization and it works. The goal is to do get through two WSs a month, but if you need more time - no sweat! Remember, Sherpa is all about flex time, yo!

The Level 2 guys dig into what I call Style-Specific Lesson Plans (SSLPs). These lessons are mainly derived from my 10 TrueFire courses, but also stretch out into other areas not covered in my courses. We do four of these a month and really get into it. I've got guys chasing my Funk Fission techniques, guys rolling through their own version of the fabled 40 Rhythm Guitar SWAT camp journey, guys going through my Blues Progressions and Blues Soloing sister courses and more. The awesome catch is you have me to rely on through every step of the way throughout each courses' incredibly dense curriculum.

Now a gym is supposed to place of fun and comradery between the members - Guitar Gym is no different. The guys have donned themselves "Sherpa Brothers" and that they are. The Discussion Threads seen in the Activity Feed are usually busy and I've created additional channels for us to have fun with including The Dorm Room and Silverton Music (for more info on that stuff go here).

Guitar Gym a real a hoot and I love it. It's been an honor to serve and a real pleasure to see guys attain their goals. We're coming up on a year and I couldn't be more pleased with Guitar Gym and it's many very cool members!!

Now I gotta get back to my guys in the 'Gym
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Default Guitar Gym GLOBAL

Just got my first South American Sherpa student! Finally! Now all I need is someone from Asia, Africa and Antarctica and Guitar Gym will be completely global in terms of continents!
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

12. Default Sherpa Summit in NYC!

Here's a pic with myself and fellow Sherpa Chris Buono - thanks for sharing the photo Chris!

13. Default doh

Quote Originally Posted by sherylbailey View Post

Here's a pic with myself and fellow Sherpa Chris Buono - thanks for sharing the photo Chris!

I guess that photo didn't upload here --- c'est la vie.....
    it's on my facebook page fyi
    SB

Smile Vicki Genfan Checking IN....

Hey Everyone! Just want to introduce myself and my Sherpa Class, 'Acoustic Guitar Rhythm & Groove Camp'! This is a great place to study if you're looking to breathe new life into your accompanyments, into your rhythm playing, or into your compositions and arrangements. I'll work directly with you on tools and techniques that will take you out of the ruts we all seem to fall into. Since I'm a bit of an eccentric 'alternate tuner', we can easily work with alternate tunings- or stick to standard. Either way, you'll find endless possibilities in stretching out your acoustic rhythm playing. I can address the late beginner as well as more advanced students - I'd love to have a chance to work with all of you! :-)

If you're not sure if I'm the right Sherpa instructor for you - feel free to shoot me a message and we can talk further. You can email me directly from my website: www.vickigenfan.com

I've been playing guitar, singing and writing original music for over 40 years (OMG). My guitar techniques have evolved organically from a lifetime of exploring and following the joy that the sounds of the instrument bring to me.
    I love teaching and hope to pass along some of what I've been gifted with to you....

http://truefire.com/guitar-sherpa/sh...s.html?id=4175
    www.vickigenfan.com
    www.youtube.com/vickigenfan

Quote Originally Posted by sherylbailey View Post
    A lovely picture indeed. Except for that Buono guy in the picture. (just kidding)
    Name:  baileybuono.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  93.5 KB
    Enjoy Your Karma, after all you earned it.
    “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” -George Carlin

email: gadlaw@gmail.com - http://www.facebook.com/gadlaw

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    A lovely picture indeed. Except for that Buono guy in the picture. (just kidding)
    Name:  baileybuono.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  93.5 KB
    Ohhhhhh, Glibert. You rebel rouser, you.
    Chris Buono
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    ChrisBuono.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBuono View Post
    Ohhhhhh, Glibert. You rebel rouser, you.
    Nothing but love, respect and intense jealously for your great guitar skills. You are one of the hardest working guitar guys at TrueFire and well respected but you have to admit she's better looking than you.

Cool Hello everyone, my classroom just went "live"

Very excited to announce that my classroom "Guitar Babylon" is now live.
    Pleased to join the awesome Sherpa team of instructors.

You can watch the commercial and read more about the classroom (and me) here:
    http://truefire.com/guitar-sherpa/sh...s.html?id=4238

Cheers,
    Rob
    Rob Garland - TrueFire Instructor
    http://www.robgarland.net

Classroom-Guitar Babylon, Workshops,
    New Course "The Guitarist's Pentathlon" Coming Soon!
    Mesa Boogie Artist - Tom Anderson - Suhr Guitars
    e-Newsletter http://eepurl.com/YqHGX

Default Hey from Fretboard Freeway!

Hey everyone!

I'm Harvey Valdes and I just launched my Sherpa online classroom Fretboard Freeway. I'm really excited to be a part of the TrueFire Community, this is a great platform for
    studying guitar online!

If you are looking to expand your improvising skills, increase your choices for chord voicings, and to push your muscle for melodic invention, check out FRETBOARD FREEWAY!

Here's a video about the class and little more info about myself:

http://truefire.com/guitar-sherpa/sh...s.html?id=4226

Thanks for looking!

Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Valdes View Post
    Hey everyone!

I'm Harvey Valdes and I just launched my Sherpa online classroom Fretboard Freeway. I'm really excited to be a part of the TrueFire Community, this is a great platform for
    studying guitar online!

If you are looking to expand your improvising skills, increase your choices for chord voicings, and to push your muscle for melodic invention, check out FRETBOARD FREEWAY!

Here's a video about the class and little more info about myself:

http://truefire.com/guitar-sherpa/sh...s.html?id=4226

Thanks for looking!

Harvey
    Welcome to the neighborhood Harvey! Great luck and smooth sailing in your Sherpa Classroom from the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by gadlaw View Post
    Welcome to the neighborhood Harvey! Great luck and smooth sailing in your Sherpa Classroom from the forum!
    Thanks Gadlaw!