Default Classroom Questions? How does it work? What to expect?

Hey all!

I wanted to start this thread to answer any questions that someone who is thinking about signing up for a Classroom plan might have. I get a lot of emails asking about how the lessons work and thought this would be a great place to discuss the ins and outs of it to help anyone who is considering personal lessons with a Classroom. So feel free to jump in here!
    Last edited by wvgman; 12-09-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Classroom
    Jeff Scheetz - TrueFire's Director of Education
    TrueFire
    Jeff Scheetz Website and Blog

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." - Benjamin Franklin -

Blog Entries

Arrow

I am taking a Classroom with Sheryl Bailey and I can tell you how it works for me. I have been talking Classroom lessons with Sheryl for about 9 months and her class is called the bebop dojo. For me it has all been about learning tunes. For example, I will pick out a tune (out of the jazz standards Real Book) and do a recording of me comping and soloing over Band In A Box on it. I use Band In A Box, but I don't think most other students use it. Anyway, I record this video and send it to her. In a few days she looks it over and records a video in response, where she shows me pointers on what I am doing wrong and doing right.

She will often ask me to review one of her pre-recorded classes on the topic that she thinks I need to add into my playing. In a few days I will record that same tune trying to incorporate what I have learned. We go back and forth on this same tune 2 or 3 times until I get bored with the tune, and then I do a new tune. In addition to that I will occasionally email her a theory question which she sometimes answers by sending me a personalized video and sometimes answers with an email occassionally referencing one of her classes (and the class section of Bebop dojo has a really huge number of classes).
    Last edited by wvgman; 12-09-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Classroom
    now trying to break 1900.

Good stuff Rich!

That is one really cool thing about the Classroom for me. I have had a couple of students who have actually worked through one of my courses - but then I ask them to record one of the lessons from that course - that makes it soooo different when you have to record it and send it in - than if you just sort of "work through it" like we all do on certain lessons. I had one student say "I THOUGHT I had that down until I recorded it!!"

So when I can actually watch the vid of them doing it - I can provide feedback to get it just right. I wish EVERY TrueFire course could have students work through each lesson with the teacher who recorded it!!! Here in the Classrooms we are working on that!!

JS
    Last edited by wvgman; 12-09-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Classroom
    Jeff Scheetz - TrueFire's Director of Education
    TrueFire
    Jeff Scheetz Website and Blog

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." - Benjamin Franklin -

Cool Back playin' again

Had to stop playing for awhile (sometimes you have to give in to life and paying bills) so hoping once I get the rust off the fingers I will be good enough to sign up for Sheryl Bailey's Boppin' Dojo. Good reading rich2b description it sounds great.
    Steve B.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I want to be as famous as midnight as powerful as a gun
    as loved as a pizza - Macy Gray