PDA

View Full Version : Which blues course?

macguy787
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi all,
I'm an early intermediate guitar player with a distant memory of classical piano skills. Like a lot of you, I've learned bits and pieces of blues from instructors, youtube etc...

I'm looking for a course that would tie in a lot of these ideas for an early intermediate.

I've scrolled through the blues catalog but the choices are overwhelming. Without commitment to one of the courses, I'll just leapfrog between all of them which, in my opinion would and has hindered my progress. For me, this would just create more loose ends.

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Rgalvez
01-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey macguy!
Welcome to the forum.
This is a regular question and we love to answer that. I've just found a former thread that can give some light to your question. Anyway we can give more insights for you.

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5144

cheers

rjbasque
01-15-2010, 04:17 PM
macguy,
If you're a Level 2 or 3 student (i.e. paid subscription) you have access to everything. Including the "Night Classes" section, where various lesson segments from different courses are layed out in 10 week study curriculums. It's a great way to stay focused.

charles
01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Macguy,

I highly recommend you do Mark Wilson's Blues Grooves which will give you a solid introduction to ten different styles of blues. It's taught by Brad Carlton who is excellent at explaining things in an understandable way while also challenging the student further.

Once you get that down, go onto Blues Expose, a great course taught by two former Carlton students, Red Lasner and Josh Gibson. Blues Expose has a similar format to Grooves, a kind of Grooves Mach II.

If you do these two course in order and step by step, I think you will be ready for any blues guitar situation.

flathead
01-15-2010, 11:59 PM
I can't disagree with anything suggested so far, but I'd also consider Bluesology by Brad Carlton.
Be forewarned, however, this course doesn't really give you any tabs or licks, rather Brad teaches you the tools to create your own licks/progressions/turnarounds. He covers every aspect of the blues in depth. IMO you should also be, at the very least, a 'solid intermediate' player to get the most of it for the stuff Brad throws at can be pretty overwhelming otherwise.

Rgalvez
01-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah Bluesology is like a Masterclass of Blues....like a Blues Clinic so to speak....quite recommended..by the way Flathead is doing a blog about this course..don't miss it!

macguy787
01-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. I started Blues Expose but realized that I need to take a step back. The material comes at you quickly and I need to get more comfortable with chord construction.

I started simultaneously CAGED cracked and the Chord cookbook. I understood the moveable shapes however it's the addition of 7th's 9th's etc that create hiccups since I haven't taken the time to dissect each chord - I merely took it for face value that "this shape = this chord" ie learning by association.

here goes...

Rgalvez
01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. I started Blues Expose but realized that I need to take a step back. The material comes at you quickly and I need to get more comfortable with chord construction.

I started simultaneously CAGED cracked and the Chord cookbook. I understood the moveable shapes however it's the addition of 7th's 9th's etc that create hiccups since I haven't taken the time to dissect each chord - I merely took it for face value that "this shape = this chord" ie learning by association.

here goes...

Good choices!
By the way the 40 days SWAT RHYTHM Camp also will give you lots of information about chord applications on blues and many other styles. (there's an excellent David Hamburger's lesson about blues).