PDA

View Full Version : Let's Work together to Sculpt our Privileged Workshop with Larry

djazz15
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
What's up everybody.

I figured I'd post this up here sooner than later, especially while the threads are very few in variety at this point.

I HOPE that there are going to be a lot of people taking advantage of this opportunity to have Larry answer their questions, no matter how specific they may be! If there are, however, the whole forum might quickly get confusing with TONS and TONS of questions of all different types(I suppose that's where the moderators step in).

The good thing however, is that I assume that we're all going to be asking questions regarding topics on the 335 Improv Series, which basically covers Larry's approaches to improvisation and comping.

This is really just a preemptive attempt to keep things organized so we can ALL get as much out of this workshop as possible. I know Larry's one of my guitar hero's and I'm assuming the same most likely goes for all of you on here as well. With that in mind, if we work together to organize this thing between December 15th and Jan 1st(I'm not sure of all of the dates) I'm sure we can come up with a way to get MOST of everyone's questions answered, primarily by helping each other out.

Best,

-Dave

aaking
12-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Sounds good to me. I hope no one asks: "What are you thinking about when you solo?"

Wolfboy1
12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
But you are to late, it's already been asked:

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4876

It might seem like a lame question to some but I am actually curious. Is he visualizing the fret board, the chords, colors, what? A little insight might yield a little guidance to this humble plank spanker.

jimiclaptoncarl
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Welcome aaking,

Glad you've joined up the forum! :clapping:

Please make yourself at home, and keep them questions coming; the more questions=more learning! :yeah:

gadlaw
12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
With that in mind, if we work together to organize this thing between December 15th and Jan 1st(I'm not sure of all of the dates) I'm sure we can come up with a way to get MOST of everyone's questions answered, primarily by helping each other out.
-Dave

Ya, that would be called the moderators. :rasta:

Moderation Begins!
We will begin moderation on Tuesday, December 15th. Your moderators will be myself and Chris Buono.

Our primary job is to work with all of you to compile a list of questions and requests for Larry to address in his two downloadable video workshops.

We are happy to answer as many general questions as possible BUT we intend to leave ALL of the instruction-specific questions for Larry to answer directly in his downloadable video workshops.

You'll note that we have added 7 threads to the forum, one for each of the six sections of the course, plus one for overall course questions and requests. We ask that you post your questions and requests in the appropriate thread to help us keep everything organized.

Feel free to start new threads on any related topic, and you are much encouraged to share your knowledge and suggestions with other forums participants.

Please use this thread for any administrative questions or suggestions.

Thanks for joining us! (http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4866)

richb2
12-15-2009, 12:10 AM
But you are to late, it's already been asked:

http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4876

It might seem like a lame question to some but I am actually curious. Is he visualizing the fret board, the chords, colors, what? A little insight might yield a little guidance to this humble plank spanker.

and it has been somewhat addressed in 3.1

"Of course, I'm aware of all those elements but I'm really thinking about the specific chord that I'm playing over at the moment, and then -- just before I get there -- the next chord in the sequence. So, make sure that you are completely familiar with the chords that you'll be playing over before even attempting to improvise over them. This will have a huge impact on your improvisations. "

I also am trying to find out "how to think about playing"

djazz15
12-15-2009, 12:22 AM
It was just a little pep-talk to remind everyone that working together is the best thing for us all, but I guess it came off as slightly redundant. On with the moderation!

gadlaw
12-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Rich you are a rock of this forum, having been here from the beginning and giving your advice and assistance from the beginning. :clapping:
I didn't want to let that go unnoticed. :clapping:

gadlaw
12-15-2009, 12:30 AM
It was just a little pep-talk to remind everyone that working together is the best thing for us all, but I guess it came off as slightly redundant. On with the moderation!

Hey there djazz15, this forum thrives on enthusiasm and passion for guitar and we've been noticing you have both of those qualities. You haven't gone to the Roll Call forum but I gather you're a young 23? I think I've read that you've been to music college which many of us do envy you for. Do you have a myspace page with some of your music? Keep firing on all cylinders there, I am enjoying your insights. :clapping:

djazz15
12-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Hey there djazz15, this forum thrives on enthusiasm and passion for guitar and we've been noticing you have both of those qualities. You haven't gone to the Roll Call forum but I gather you're a young 23? I think I've read that you've been to music college which many of us do envy you for. Do you have a myspace page with some of your music? Keep firing on all cylinders there, I am enjoying your insights. :clapping:

Hey Gadlaw,

Your post was the first time I'd ever heard of the roll-call forum so I'll go check it out.

The Berklee comments are referencing the ONE semester I attended there. I left because I couldn't read music and I saw the advantage that some of my classmates had who COULD read music. Ironically I never learned that even after I left, but I began studying with a really great Jazz Guitar teacher in NYC, who convinced me that reading music actually has nothing to do with becoming a good improviser in ANY style.

At any rate, no,..unfortunately I do not have a myspace page. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my music and a lot of what I write is vocal/scat/a cappella stuff that is highly influenced from my guitar playing. However, I think you just inspired me to write and record some more instrumental stuff for the purpose of observation. I'd be happy to let you guys know as soon as I set something up.

Best,

-Dave

richb2
12-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Rich you are a rock of this forum, having been here from the beginning and giving your advice and assistance from the beginning. :clapping:

Thanks! Nice new photo, BTW.

Leedelta
12-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks! Nice new photo, BTW.

Well done Rich, onwards and upwards :rasta:

Rgalvez
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Rich never stops until fully understand a topic or a lesson. Congrats for the 700 posts man!

ChrisBuono
12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
What's up everybody.

I figured I'd post this up here sooner than later, especially while the threads are very few in variety at this point.

I HOPE that there are going to be a lot of people taking advantage of this opportunity to have Larry answer their questions, no matter how specific they may be! If there are, however, the whole forum might quickly get confusing with TONS and TONS of questions of all different types(I suppose that's where the moderators step in).

The good thing however, is that I assume that we're all going to be asking questions regarding topics on the 335 Improv Series, which basically covers Larry's approaches to improvisation and comping.

This is really just a preemptive attempt to keep things organized so we can ALL get as much out of this workshop as possible. I know Larry's one of my guitar hero's and I'm assuming the same most likely goes for all of you on here as well. With that in mind, if we work together to organize this thing between December 15th and Jan 1st(I'm not sure of all of the dates) I'm sure we can come up with a way to get MOST of everyone's questions answered, primarily by helping each other out.

Best,

-Dave

We got it covered chief!

ChrisBuono
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Yeah man!!

bassic83
12-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Just wanted to say it is really great to see everyone working together with such a positive attitude! I hope I can contribute some later on, but its my first time in here today.

-Patrick