PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Geek Revelation

Wolfboy1
11-12-2009, 08:49 AM
I normally use a pedal board with 8-10 pedals but last night I did band practice, 6 hours worth, without my pedal board. Just my Mesa 5:25 1x12 and my Carvin DC-135. Spent time tweaking it and used just the regular footswitch. Pretty much used the burn channel for leads and both the clean channels for everything else. Band mates (well Nick the Greek and Shawn the drummer)said it was the best tone I haad for a long time While this didn't exactly thrill me, as I like my pedals, it did inspire me. I think I will cut my live pedal board down to 3 pedals....Buddy Guy wah (my fav), tuner and one of my delays...that's it.

I gotta think about this because pedals are a bit of an addiction but it sure would simplfy a gig.

wvgman
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
FWIW
You know, Wolfboy, pedals are a tool and if you don't need a wrench, why use a wrench, when you can turn something with your fingers. I go back and forth between individual pedals and a Line 6 PODxt live. I have a home grown pedal board made from a piece of laminate flooring and velcro that enables me to add or remove whatever without much effort. Currently I am using far less pedals than I once did.
:jimi: :Totally_j

jimiclaptoncarl
11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
That's what some guitarists had in the late 80's early 90's. All the guitarists would be playing through rack gear and no amp, when some guitarists started just using the amp, they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. :)

I too find that using less stuff sounds better, I don't know how to explain it, it's just more realistic? :rasta:

chipstar
11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
To me it's pretty straight forward. More processing means less tone. You guys may want to consider my rig due to it's flexibility. I run into a Radial JD-7 that give me at least 7 outputs for a single 1/4 inch input. I can route the same original clean signal to any of my processors and/or directly to an amp although what I prefer to do is overlap multiple processors and the clean single simultaneously. You can really get the true character of your instrument while making some wild textures as well. I also have 2 effect loops on the JD-7 so that I can run my Maxon D&S II to the clean signal to add a little grit and sustain before I output to any of the processors and amps that I use.

later,
Chipstar

Wolfboy1
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM
While I'm guessing your idea works great Chipster I'm thinking it doesn't make life simpler just yields superlative tone. I'm guessing you have your processors rackmounted as well?

http://www.radialeng.com/images/JD7-34view-526w.jpg

Key Features:
• 1-in, 7-out signal routing system for guitarists
• One-touch super intuitive operation of all functions
• Class-A circuit, Jensen Transformer isolated outputs
• Natural sound does not introduce artifacts to the signal
• Drag™ control recreates guitar to amp relationship
• Balanced I/O - remix new sounds from dry tracks
The Radial JD7 Injector is a creative recording tool disguised as a guitar signal distribution amplifier that allows a guitar signal to drive as many as seven amplifiers simultaneously without loss or coloration.

Front panel control makes selecting amplifiers, ground paths and polarity (phase reversal) easy. The JD7 utilizes a newly developed Class-A audio signal path that has been optimized for use with electric guitars and is 100% discreet (no opamps or chips) producing the most accurate and faithful signal at each output. To eliminate such problems as 60 cycle hum caused by ground loops without signal degradation, the world’s finest audio transformers by JensenŽ are employed.

The Radial JD7 also features a 600-Ohm balanced direct output to allow the engineer to record a dry guitar track or to use the JD7 as a direct box. A balanced input allows a pre-recorded track to be sent back into the JD7 which can then drive amplifiers, effect pedals and other devices.

http://www.radialeng.com/di-jd7.htm

From Sweetwater
SALE PRICE:
$1,099.99

chipstar
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey Wolf,
You are correct sir. Certainly not simpler but flexible and intricate. Believe it or not, there's another JD that is even more intense. Yep, my Boss GT-Pro is rackmounted along with my power conditioner, multiple BBE and Aphex processors. My Roland VG-99 can be rackmounted but I wouldn't be able to use the D-Beam or Ribbon controller so I place it on top of the rack. I hope that this helps. BTW, I plan to post the rig when I get a camera. Hopefully, this will be soon.

later,
Chipstar