PDA

View Full Version : Walter Becker's the man?

richb2
05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I have assumed for a long time that Larry Carlton is the jazz guitar player behind Steely Dan's phenomenal guitar work. I just got the Steely Dan CD from 2003 which has Jon Herington playing guitar on it. The guitar playing sounds just like steely dan always does. So I am thinking maybe Herington learned how to do it? But I took a look at some Steely dan videos on you tube, and my conclusion is that it is Becker who gives steely dan that signature sound. He seems to cut back and forth between jazz and blues effortlessly.

Does anyone know anything about his playing? When is HE going to do a DVD class up here????

slasner
05-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Many guitarists played on steely Dan's recordings, all great guitarists without a doubt! I would say each added to the music in an equally important manor. Off the top of my head I can add to the list Skunk Baxter, Mark Knopfler & Elliot Randall. I think the way they were thinking was more about the music than anyone individual contribution, I don't see how any of them could flex their ego with company like that!

richb2
05-07-2008, 06:32 AM
It is just strange the way Becker gets no credit. It's a common thought that it is Carlton or Baxter. Here is a link to a Steely Dan concert. Notice who is playing the guitar that sounds so "steely dan"?

steely dan performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu_DCV84TiU)

slasner
05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Bottom line, they all play together on the same project and are probably influenced and inspired by each other.
I noticed in the vid that Fagan introduced Becker as his partner and then they exited! I think he got his share of glory there! I've always been most inspired by Skunks playing on the old tunes, but all those guys are great!

richb2
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes. Absolutely. Here is a link to an interview with Becker in 1994 where he says that "he hasn't seen Larry Carlton in many years". When this interview was done, 14 years ago, Becker hadn't seen LC in "many years". So by now, I guess it is many, many years.

interview with Becker (http://www.granatino.com/sdresource/becker.htm)

Not that LC is a bad guitarist. He is very, very good. And he probably DID play that chord in the beginning of Don't Take Me Alive that he demonstrates on his 335 Blues Master Class. It is just funny that he is most famous for playing with a band that he hasn't spoken to in "many years".

Full Disclosure: I don't know Becker. I am not really a "Beckerhead". I have never heard any of his solo albums. Until this week, I didn't even know that he played guitar at all.